As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    oh that's a nice idea

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    Think I'm going to restart because Ascendant Cipher is not jiving with me with this new system. Even though I liked pure Cipher in PoE1, the waiting to hit Ascendancy means I really don't do anything by the time the fight is over since everything is dead by the time I get focus.

So looking for shoutouts for what to try. I'm thinking something Soulblade so I'm still sort of a Cipher, even though I probably won't use any powers and just use soul annihilation. I'm not too tactical at this game so I need some multiclass that will keep me alive in the front lines but still feel like I wreck my target when I push my skill buttons.

My first playthrough was a devoted fighter (poleaxe) soulblade, and it went great. Fighter really has a lot of ways to stay alive, charge is magical, and soulblade/devoted is about all the buff you need on 100% of the time. Poleaxe isn't even the best weapon, though there's a great one you can get rather early, so you could do better with dual sabers or the like probably.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    interestingly, the monk charge ability doesnt check your weapons ready state - you can just use it straight out of a reload

this means you can go stunning blow and instead of waiting around to reload your guns immediately charge something else dealing another pair of shots - and given that stunning blow has a chance of generating 4 mortification if both shots crit if ur dual wielding, this is actually extremely spicy

i assume warrior charge is similar but i dont have warrior as my second

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    interestingly, the monk charge ability doesnt check your weapons ready state - you can just use it straight out of a reload

this means you can go stunning blow and instead of waiting around to reload your guns immediately charge something else dealing another pair of shots - and given that stunning blow has a chance of generating 4 mortification if both shots crit if ur dual wielding, this is actually extremely spicy

i assume warrior charge is similar but i dont have warrior as my second

This is known as the John Woo effect

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Lorek wrote: »
    Think I'm going to restart because Ascendant Cipher is not jiving with me with this new system. Even though I liked pure Cipher in PoE1, the waiting to hit Ascendancy means I really don't do anything by the time the fight is over since everything is dead by the time I get focus.

So looking for shoutouts for what to try. I'm thinking something Soulblade so I'm still sort of a Cipher, even though I probably won't use any powers and just use soul annihilation. I'm not too tactical at this game so I need some multiclass that will keep me alive in the front lines but still feel like I wreck my target when I push my skill buttons.

Fighter works well. I use the penetrating strike as a dual-wield sword build and it strikes with both weapons for big damage and also gains like 60-70 focus all by itself which can be dumped into a big soul annihilation right after and everything explodes. It's p fun. I also usually start battle using a Whisper of Treason because it's super cheap and I always have enough right from the start of the battle so it still let's me have that mind-control cipher feeling as well.

• Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Thats why I really like my Blackjacket/Ascendant build

My usual combat goes like this:
    • Combat starts, Fire one Arquebus
    • Switch, fire second arquebus. Melee party members have now reached their targets.
    • Switch, fire both pistols, Melee party members are probably half way through their first recovery
    • I might be max Focus at this point. Regardless, switch to melee, charge someone on the enemy back line
    • I am definitely max focus now. Other melee characters are on their second swing. Tekehu is probably still casting his first spell.
    • Cipher the shit out of the enemy at +2 power level. I am also in the perfect position for Cipher lasers.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    I'm *this* close to making a 5 chanter K-pop boy band party. The only real question is beckoner vs. troub.

• Options
    You could also make a party of 5 different flavors of Godlike

Powerlike Rangers

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    damn the meme doesnt work, barbarian blood thirst resets recovery time not reload, even though recovery time reducing affects reduce reload qq

rest in memes

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    "Deadfire 5"

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I'm *this* close to making a 5 chanter K-pop boy band party. The only real question is beckoner vs. troub.

Obviously Beckoners.

They summon screaming teen girls at-will, but their singing is mostly computer magically enhanced.

ED: So, basically, 4 beckoners and 1 troubador.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Small ship pirate battle update: It works, but it takes forever and it's not worth it. You can win against almost anyone with a Voyageur and either the longest or shortest range cannon. However... sometimes you die because enemies can hit you even when you're inside their range. Also, I learned that if you get further than 600 yards away, the fight ends, and of course the enemy ship instantly heals to full so you're starting over if you re-engage. These two things together mean that you take like 25+ turns to win, and sometimes you don't win and start all over.

Compare to using a Junk and just 1-2 shotting everything and my choice is pretty clear.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    cncaudata wrote: »
    Small ship pirate battle update: It works, but it takes forever and it's not worth it. You can win against almost anyone with a Voyageur and either the longest or shortest range cannon. However... sometimes you die because enemies can hit you even when you're inside their range. Also, I learned that if you get further than 600 yards away, the fight ends, and of course the enemy ship instantly heals to full so you're starting over if you re-engage. These two things together mean that you take like 25+ turns to win, and sometimes you don't win and start all over.

Compare to using a Junk and just 1-2 shotting everything and my choice is pretty clear.

I'm using the Voyager method because RP, my question is between the cannon shots which choice is best. Do I gun them down with regular cannon balls while approaching to board to injure the below deck crew? Or do I chainshot the sails to gain on them and board faster?

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I did one ship battle (whoever designed the UI for this needs a stern talking-to), saw the enemy had 4 crew, boarded, and was immediately zerged by 15 (!!!!) enemies.

So now my goal is to never touch that system again if it all possible.

• Options
    3clipse wrote: »
    I did one ship battle (whoever designed the UI for this needs a stern talking-to), saw the enemy had 4 crew, boarded, and was immediately zerged by 15 (!!!!) enemies.

So now my goal is to never touch that system again if it all possible.

The boats(including yours) has below deck crew. You even have different ammunition to deal with above deck and below deck crew!

• Options
    I stopped engaging with the ship combat and just go full speed until I board. More loot, don't have to deal with one of the worst minigames in a long time.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    I stopped engaging with the ship combat and just go full speed until I board. More loot, don't have to deal with one of the worst minigames in a long time.

Yeah ditto, i have yet to do any cannon shooting.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Yea but I take way too much damage that way so it would be hard to do multiple fights in a row until I was repaired and my people healed up. If I chase down to board I still get all the reward from boarding but take little to no damage at all on the approach.

Unless that's what you mean. In which case that's still what I'm asking about. I have forward facing cannons so I can shoot while going full speed ahead. So I'm trying to figure out if I soften them, up on approach with regular cannon balls or chains.

DemonStacey on
  • Options

Yea but I take way too much damage that way so it would be hard to do multiple fights in a row until I was repaired and my people healed up. If I chase down to board I still get all the reward from boarding but take little to no damage at all on the approach.

Unless that's what you mean. In which case that's still what I'm asking about. I have forward facing cannons so I can shoot while going full speed ahead. So I'm trying to figure out if I soften them, up on approach with regular cannon balls or chains.

You would use grapeshot. It'll kill the most crew. You have to decide if you even stop to shoot though. If you shooting one round (and having low accuracy because you went full speed the previous turn) let's them fire on you an extra time, it probably isn't worth it. See the discussion above too, as it is not clear whether harming the crew before boarding has any effect on the fight at all.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I have now finished multiple quests that would have involved going and stealing some item because I already went and stole it when I first explored the area.

"steal everything not nailed down" continues to be the optimal way to play CRPGs :D

• Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular

I haven't noticed much difference between softening the enemy up before boarding and just going forward as fast as possible, not shooting at all and then boarding.

• Options
    edited May 2018

You would use grapeshot. It'll kill the most crew. You have to decide if you even stop to shoot though. If you shooting one round (and having low accuracy because you went full speed the previous turn) let's them fire on you an extra time, it probably isn't worth it. See the discussion above too, as it is not clear whether harming the crew before boarding has any effect on the fight at all.

Grape-shot is for above deck crew(the people doing jobs). Regular cannon balls damage the below deck crew(the army of guys that pops out of nowhere). I don't care about the above deck crew. Thus the question of chain-shot for sails(slower to pull away so less turns going full speed ahead) or regular cannon balls (soften up the army of dudes that pop out when boarding).

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Yeah thats what I mean, I go into ship combat and then just charge full on ahead

Wassermelone on
  • Options

Yeah thats what I mean, I go into ship combat and then just charge full on ahead

yeah this does seem like it incurs way fewer losses on average

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

Grape-shot is for above deck crew(the people doing jobs). Regular cannon balls damage the below deck crew(the army of guys that pops out of nowhere). I don't care about the above deck crew. Thus the question of chain-shot for sails(slower to pull away so less turns going full speed ahead) or regular cannon balls (soften up the army of dudes that pop out when boarding).

How do you know this? On my ship, all my crew is there to fight when I show up, whether they had a job or not. Also, the opposing ship only has one "crew" number that counts down as you kill crew. Also also... after you kill above deck crew they often rotate them around to get non-injured folks to do the jobs, so you can kill them too.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying I don't have any evidence that shooting either type of crew actually makes a boarding battle different (it does have an effect - if they have no cannoneers because you injured them all then they can't shoot cannon).

• Options
    MancingtomMancingtom Registered User regular
    AFAIK, below-deck crew refers to the gunners, cook, surgeon, and the rest slots. Above-deck crew includes the helmsman, navigator, deckhands, and boatswain.

I don't think you can affect boarding parties (like your own party) in the minigame. Honestly, there's no real reason not to just rush and board. More loot, less danger for your crew, and less money spent on repair/medical supplies. While your crew won't get as much experience, your crew doesn't need experience if you don't fight the ships.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

How do you know this? On my ship, all my crew is there to fight when I show up, whether they had a job or not. Also, the opposing ship only has one "crew" number that counts down as you kill crew. Also also... after you kill above deck crew they often rotate them around to get non-injured folks to do the jobs, so you can kill them too.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just saying I don't have any evidence that shooting either type of crew actually makes a boarding battle different (it does have an effect - if they have no cannoneers because you injured them all then they can't shoot cannon).

With a full slate of companions and sidekicks, plus 1 hired adventurer, my crew never shows up on my deck any more. Not sure how it works.

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    Yeah. Only my own dudes and the rest of the gang show up on deck for me. And they tend to absolutely waste the enemy crew (it's a cavalcade of ludicrous gibbs).

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Mancingtom wrote: »
    AFAIK, below-deck crew refers to the gunners, cook, surgeon, and the rest slots. Above-deck crew includes the helmsman, navigator, deckhands, and boatswain.

I don't think you can affect boarding parties (like your own party) in the minigame. Honestly, there's no real reason not to just rush and board. More loot, less danger for your crew, and less money spent on repair/medical supplies. While your crew won't get as much experience, your crew doesn't need experience if you don't fight the ships.

Ahhh that would make sense.

Then using the chainshot is probably the best bet if the goal is just to board. That's the info I needed.

Oh also:

https://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity2/mods/43/

For increased difficulty.

But most importantly you can download just parts of it to use on any difficulty.

One of the options is decreased XP because WHAT THE FLYING FUCK WERE THEY THINKING?!?!?! Seriously I assumed it was just an early game thing but the XP rewards in this game are fucked to all hell and I really have no idea how they made it out of testing like this.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    One of the options is decreased XP because WHAT THE FLYING FUCK WERE THEY THINKING?!?!?! Seriously I assumed it was just an early game thing but the XP rewards in this game are fucked to all hell and I really have no idea how they made it out of testing like this.

I was nowhere near max level when I finished the game. Didn't get powerlevel 9 abilities for any of my single-class people. *sniff* *sob*

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I hit level 20 right before the endgame, felt about right to me. And I only skipped a few bounties. I did skip a fair few Islands, but didn't think they gave that much exp.

• Options
    Yeaaaah, I thought the exp gain was a'ight? I just hit level 20, and I've done everything except the faction lines and haven't gone to Magran's Teeth yet. Oh and Splintered Reef. That doesn't seem bad given how completionist I am. BG2, I'm hitting max level maybe somewhere in the Underdark are just coming out of it.

Also, the public beta only went to level 9? So they didn't have a say in that.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    i loved this game

i kinda wanna play POE1 again tho

but this was better than what I remember POE1 was

• Options
    Mirkel wrote: »

I was nowhere near max level when I finished the game. Didn't get powerlevel 9 abilities for any of my single-class people. *sniff* *sob*

I'm lvp 14 or 15 on my characters and i haven't touched 3/4 of the map yet!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Smrtnik wrote: »

No worried balancing in the game is pretty bad. You are probably already strong enough to beat the game if you like.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Map exp isn't that significant though, I think. Most exp in this game comes from questing, I think, if it's like PoE1, in particular main-line questing.

hippofant on
  • Options
    hippofant wrote: »

Map exp isn't that significant though, I think. Most exp in this game comes from questing, I think, if it's like PoE1, in particular main-line questing.

Right, but i mean i haven't been to 3/4 of the map so there are presumably whole quest chains out there i haven't even started on.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    hmm it seems very difficult to put together many memes with dual class wizard for spell damage purposes

thonking

i mean you can do some silly stuff with power level shenanigans i guess but ehhh you get so few spells per encounter and its so hard to scale those spells like you scale attacks

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Hah! Dude sends me to make a deal with slavers, i instead murder everyone there.
    guess that my principi faction chosen.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    So itumaak keeps preventing me from leave combat, he's just frozen, with no effects on him, he just won't move, and combat won't end. It's happen like 4 times and Christ the loading of a previous save takes so long on xbox

Prohass on