As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Mumm-Wha?!

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    We all want Kung Fu Rooster to make a come back.

For those who don't get the reference:
    215526991_fuZrt-2100x20000.jpg

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Oh man, I used to get up extra early so I could Kung Fu Rooster on Toon Merch!

One cock who's ready to rock! :whistle:

The Fleshreaper advertisement segments were hauntingly beautiful too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    There was a rooster outside my daughter's Tae Kwon Do class yesterday. No clue where it came from. (well, besides an egg, duh) Now starting to make some sense.

Thundercats and its ilk are always referred to as toy commercials, and sure that's largely what they were, but for me and my friends they were more like.... I don't know the term, starting points maybe. The shows themselves were almost unnecessary after a few episodes; give us a good concept and some cool art and that was enough for us to stage our own epics. And boy did Thundercats deliver on that front. Super powered cat people with weapons? And an old man mummy that sometimes freaked the fuck out and became he-man mummy? Christ that was the stuff for us. Wrapping myself in toilet paper then wearing a bathrobe over it and hobbling around the forest, only to throw the robe off and yell like a loon at my friends who were trying to build a base out of like 5 sticks was I think maybe the first 'cosplay' I ever did.

For me, it's not really the art that I don't like about this new show. It's just that it's all it is, a show. Maybe it'll be *funny*, I don't know yet, but it doesn't seem much in the way of inspiring imagination. Not so much "I HATE THIS" as "It's a bit disappointing"

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Whenever "people on the internet are mad" gets said I do not envision an angry mob with torches and pitchforks, but a whole bunch of people who, like me, saw it and tweeted "this looks like garbage", then got on with our lives. "The internet is freaking out" or "the internet is obsessed" is never, ever true. It is the commentary-culture hype engine at work. Nobody gave Laurel/Yanny, blue+gold/black+white, etc more than a few minutes of their lives. Sure, in aggregate it looks like a lot. Yeah you can go on twitter and find a trending tag and draw the conclusion that people are up in arms about something, but you're an idiot for doing so. It's trivia.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    Whenever "people on the internet are mad" gets said I do not envision an angry mob with torches and pitchforks, but a whole bunch of people who, like me, saw it and tweeted "this looks like garbage", then got on with our lives. "The internet is freaking out" or "the internet is obsessed" is never, ever true. It is the commentary-culture hype engine at work. Nobody gave Laurel/Yanny, blue+gold/black+white, etc more than a few minutes of their lives. Sure, in aggregate it looks like a lot. Yeah you can go on twitter and find a trending tag and draw the conclusion that people are up in arms about something, but you're an idiot for doing so. It's trivia.

I wish I could find the internet where people said they don't like something and move on. Not the one where every single post that references Star Wars or any Disney property in any way is flooded with paragraph long posts about how nothing Disney does is ever going to be permissable for anyone to watch after the travesty of TLJ. Where months before No Man's Sky released, every announcement article was filled with comments by people bragging that they never had any interest in the game and no one should.

I realize I'm being panel 2 here. And it's hard to not be. I admit I always want to "correct" someone who says Amazing Spiderman is ok or Mass Effect 3 is bad. Which is probably how we got here.

Yes, people to get unduly mad at other people simply saying, "I don't like this". But other people do absolutely go out if their way to angrily express how much they are bothered by something they don't like.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    man I remember being a kid and thinking "ugh, they changed TMNT and now it SUCKS" because instead of fighting Krang and Shredder they were fighting some weird alien dude who spent half his time doing PR about how he wasn't evil. And also Michelangelo never used his nunchucks, just a dumb grappling hook thing.

• dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    TBH, what they've done here with Thundercats is not as horrific as what was done to Reboot by netflix.

Tube, I would like to report a bug. Each time I click the Agree button, it still only says I've added 1 agree. I'm willing to click this button all day if I have to.

Seriously, though, this is my only reason for potentially being mad (or slightly annoyed) about a reboot/continuation/spinoff of a series I used to really like watching ReBoot, so I REALLY want to see more of those episodes. That show really hit its stride the last couple of seasons.

It's kind of like hearing they're starting up Firefly again, only it's a different cast and it's actually a faux reality show.

dennis on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    TBH, what they've done here with Thundercats is not as horrific as what was done to Reboot by netflix.

Well, yeah, but that one is basically the platonic ideal of "why".

Anyway, honestly, this looks thoroughly meh, but eh, there's plenty of good cartoons nowadays, hardly worth getting in a tizzy for one that comes out a dud.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    From the news post:
    I didn’t really live in the Eighties people lionize, let alone lion-o.

Jerry, I love you. Don't ever leave us.

H9f4bVe.png
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

I wish I could find the internet where people said they don't like something and move on. Not the one where every single post that references Star Wars or any Disney property in any way is flooded with paragraph long posts about how nothing Disney does is ever going to be permissable for anyone to watch after the travesty of TLJ. Where months before No Man's Sky released, every announcement article was filled with comments by people bragging that they never had any interest in the game and no one should.

I realize I'm being panel 2 here. And it's hard to not be. I admit I always want to "correct" someone who says Amazing Spiderman is ok or Mass Effect 3 is bad. Which is probably how we got here.

Yes, people to get unduly mad at other people simply saying, "I don't like this". But other people do absolutely go out if their way to angrily express how much they are bothered by something they don't like.

I fall into that category more times than I'd like. I mean, just look up my posting history re: Final Fantasy XV.

Speaking only for myself, I find my fandom passion runs both ways. When I like something, I tend to really like it. When I dislike something, I tend to really dislike it. And in both cases, I feel the urge to share my opinion, if only to provide a potential alternate voice to the discussion. I mean, I tend to get my game news and reviews by reading what others think on this forum, so in that sense, I want to pay it forward.

I'm also a bit of a perfectionist, and I strive not to be a goose who simply says "Hey, man, that sucks" without giving reasons why. So, my explanations become mini-screeds, with paragraphs describing my issues with whatever bit of media I'm referring to in some detail.

It probably comes across more aggressive than I intend, for both positive and negative reviews.

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I can live with the different artstyle, but what I don't get is why they're taking Thundercats, a series with a pretty good premise for a fantasy adventure show which can be build on and modernised in so many ways, and turning it into yet another comedy show about a group of moronic 'heroes' who spend more time doing wacky shit instead of fighting evil. Sure, that can be funny if done right, but I fail to see what this new Thundercats is going to do that hasn't already been done before in Teen Titans Go, Sonic Boom, and several other similar shows Cartoon Network already has.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I think the new Thundercats looks fun.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    There's literally too much media being produced right now for me to keep up with, so when something comes along that sounds cool for people to enjoy but isn't for me, I feel a sense of relief, because I got a big enough backlog of pop culture already.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    "Oh man that show wasn't that good? Oh that sucks man I'm sorry"

Secretly

"Thank christ I'm like 3 marvel movies behind, haven't seen half the shows I liked, didn't check out anything new and I wanted to game sometime!"

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    I can live with the different artstyle, but what I don't get is why they're taking Thundercats, a series with a pretty good premise for a fantasy adventure show which can be build on and modernised in so many ways, and turning it into yet another comedy show about a group of moronic 'heroes' who spend more time doing wacky shit instead of fighting evil. Sure, that can be funny if done right, but I fail to see what this new Thundercats is going to do that hasn't already been done before in Teen Titans Go, Sonic Boom, and several other similar shows Cartoon Network already has.

They tried doing Thundercats as an earnest fantasy series a few of years back. No one watched it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThunderCats_(2011_TV_series)

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Cambiata wrote: »
    T-Danger wrote: »

They tried doing Thundercats as an earnest fantasy series a few of years back. No one watched it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThunderCats_(2011_TV_series)

It's kinda like the games industry. The "AAA" publishers go with what makes the money, which is why most of the new big games are going to be live service, shared world things, or feature a battle royale mode.

These zany comedy shows are the hot thing right now I guess, so they're going with whatever makes them money... however TV networks make money. Ad revenue?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    I'm a child of the 80s but also never cared that much about Thundercats (other than the opening sequence, which was baller). When the 2011 series came out I was like, "aw that looks ril pretty" and never watched it nor even had the intention to do so. I dare say a lot of now-mad Thundercats fans were the same. Happy to have their childhood preferences respected but not at all interested in watching such a show. So 52 episodes were planned of that series but only 26 actually were made.

Can anyone really blame Cartoon Network for creating a series for the actual demographic that it is intended for, since the adult audience has already shown they don't actually care enough to watch either way?

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    My strongest Thundercats memories are finding a bunch of voice recording outtakes from the show on the internet, probably back around 2000? Thinking back about it now I have no idea if they were legit or not, but I can probably still quote them better than anything from the actual show.

Ha, found them!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftU5GfORvH8

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • pancakewizardpancakewizard Registered User new member
    I had no idea about this new Thundercats until this post. I'm blaming you, Jerry.

I just went and looked at the 'behind the scenes' trailer for it and I've never wanted to reach through a screen and punch a guy so much in my life as that pineapple-haired git claiming he's a fan of the original.

We seriously lost the excellent 2011 version for this?! Voltron Legendary is in its 4th season on Netflix. WB should've just shopped the 2011 Thundercats to Netflix and called it a day.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I had no idea about this new Thundercats until this post. I'm blaming you, Jerry.

I just went and looked at the 'behind the scenes' trailer for it and I've never wanted to reach through a screen and punch a guy so much in my life as that pineapple-haired git claiming he's a fan of the original.

We seriously lost the excellent 2011 version for this?! Voltron Legendary is in its 4th season on Netflix. WB should've just shopped the 2011 Thundercats to Netflix and called it a day.

There's so much wrong here. You want to punch a guy who is a fan of Thundercats so much it is his job to make a new show of it. You get to tell him he's not a fan? How does that work in your head exactly?

And you lost the 2011 version because of terrible ratings. Back in 2012. Now explain how a 2018 version WENT BACK IN TIME and cancelled the old show.

This post pretty well describes what the opinions in panel one are like, from what I've seen. Over the top angry, factually wrong, really unpleasant.

shoeboxjeddy on
    More like Mumm-Waaaaah!

Heyoooo

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I liked OG Thundercats a lot. Also Transformers and GI-Joe. I've long been aware that they weren't very good shows by any post-90's standard, and have argued elsewhere & on these very forums that I feel they succeeded more on the strength of their premise (similar to @Chiselphane's awesome post above), opening sequences, and/or toylines. I literally didn't find out about the 2011 reboot until after it was all over. Like Preacher said, I feel like I'm constantly struggling to keep up with all the cool stuff that's coming out, so I still haven't gotten around to finding a way to see that.

I'm not looking forward to the new show. It looks very well-made for the style they are aiming for, but it's not for me (and that's fine because I'm not in their target demo). I've enjoyed Teen Titans Go when I've seen it, but generally I'm not very interested in the style of cartoons that seem to be in vogue right now. But that's the big thing now because it works for the primary audience for cartoons, and I don't fault the network for taking this show in that direction. It's just not something I like, and I guess I'm a little bummed about how it's all played out.

I have a nephew that loves the Lego shows, and Teen Titans Go, and all sorts of other cartoons with the general tone they seem to be aiming for, so I'll probably see it anyway. It will be interesting to see if I end up liking it, or just feeling cold towards it like I do most similar shows, or if I'll have a strong dislike. If the latter comes true, I guess I would have to eat crow for rolling my eyes at the Teen Titans-fans who hate on TTG.

I am surprised and disappointed by the fact that some of the people expressively hating on the new Thundercats are apparently making this out to be some culture-war threatened-masculinity nonsense and attacking the showrunner's appearance for being non-conformist or whatever. It's a silly hairstyle, but that's not a political statement and honestly, who gives a shit? It has nothing to do with the show. People taking that angle makes me want the show to be a wild success, just to rub it in their faces.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    edited May 2018
    There's so much wrong here.

You only left off "and you made fun of how he looked because why not throw in every bad internet flamer stereotype."

Secretly

"Thank christ I'm like 3 marvel movies behind, haven't seen half the shows I liked, didn't check out anything new and I wanted to game sometime!"

"Oh, The Walking Dead took a turn for the worse and it sucks now? That's too bad"

Secretly

"Praise the lord I can just read the spoilers now instead of waiting an excruciating amount of time for anything current to come out on Netflix..."
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    These zany comedy shows are the hot thing right now I guess, so they're going with whatever makes them money...

Exactly. Just like how Thundercats originally existed because everyone was making all these cartoons to sell toys.

I can't help but think of how a bunch of people raged a year or so back when it was announced they'd be redoing Muppet Babies, only with CG muppets (that actually looked very close to the original muppets rather than animated ones). Ruining our childhood!

What was extra funny was that the Muppet Babies (even though I loved it as a 10 year old) was much more of a "ruin our childhood" type show. The only thing that saved it from criticism was a) not enough time passing between the original Muppet Show and the cartoon and b) the internet hadn't been invented yet.

I just look forward to the super-earnest reboots of The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory and Spongebob Squarepants that will be dropping in a decade or two.

dennis on
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    There's so much wrong here.

You only left off "and you made fun of how he looked because why not throw in every bad internet flamer stereotype."

Secretly

"Oh, The Walking Dead took a turn for the worse and it sucks now? That's too bad"

Secretly

"Praise the lord I can just read the spoilers now instead of waiting an excruciating amount of time for anything current to come out on Netflix..."
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    These zany comedy shows are the hot thing right now I guess, so they're going with whatever makes them money...

Exactly. Just like how Thundercats originally existed because everyone was making all these cartoons to sell toys.

I can't help but think of how a bunch of people raged a year or so back when it was announced they'd be redoing Muppet Babies, only with CG muppets (that actually looked very close to the original muppets rather than animated ones). Ruining our childhood!

What was extra funny was that the Muppet Babies (even though I loved it as a 10 year old) was much more of a "ruin our childhood" type show. The only thing that saved it from criticism was a) not enough time passing between the original Muppet Show and the cartoon and b) the internet hadn't been invented yet.

I just look forward to the super-earnest reboots of The Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory and Spongebob Squarepants that will be dropping in a decade or two.

The Powerpuff girls was done in this chibi style, but for THAT one it's okay. So the reboot will be in a more realistic style and suddenly everyone will LOVE chibis and how could they RUIN it!

(I'm ignoring the existence of the current PPG reboot because of the weird "did one of the animators imply he'd like to date a grade schooler" drama present from it.)

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I'm in a weird place about the 2011 Thundercats.

On the one hand, I did in fact fail to watch most of it when it first was around. I rarely had the TV on at that time of the day during that year, because college and homework and all that rot. And once I missed an episode or two, I thought "I'll catch up on it later, then". So technically I'm part of the problem that got it dropped in the first place, though I don't feel like I consciously chose to drop it.

So then, years later, I see it on Toonami, long after its death had been a sure thing and we knew it was never going to get more episodes. And this time, I see the ending, and all I want is more episodes. I want to see that specific story continue, now that I know what I'd missed, and that is likely to be the only one of the 3 Thundercats series that will never actually conclude. It's fairly frustrating, is what that is.

Enlong on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't think you should feel bad about having fallen behind on Thundercats.

• EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Oh, I know. My habits would make no difference to the overall ratings of the show. I'm more bugged by having gotten back to it, because that got me to want the second season that was never to be.

Enlong on
  • Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    The Powerpuff Girls was already remade, a few years back. With an all new voice cast (as in, they didn't even ask any of the previous actors to come back) and a rather different tone, etc.

I find that unfortunate, and disappointing, but my solution is simply to not watch it / give it any of my limited time.

• azith28azith28 Registered User regular

It's kind of like hearing they're starting up Firefly again, only it's a different cast and it's actually a faux reality show.

I want to punch you just for suggesting that in jest.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    azith28 wrote: »

I want to block your punch, but I want to block it in some cool way. Maybe DBZ style with one finger, or maybe allowing it to connect with my jaw but my head doesn't move and I remain stone faced because I'm so strong.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    So is "Steven Universe ripoff" just the new template from which all crappy reboots has to follow now?

edited May 2018
    azith28 wrote: »

I would support you 100%.

dennis on
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    If you think new Lion-o is atrocious, wait until you witness what the new Snarf looks/sounds/acts like*.

This animation style reminds me of the art on the cards for the Epic Spell Wars game. Which I'm not a fan of. Therefore, I'm not a fan of this new Thundercats, and that's okay.

*I have no foreknowledge of what Snarf will be like, but it can only be worse than Lion-o, unless they do a 180° on the character and he's a sophisticated, intelligent, serious creature instead of the comic relief.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• R0n1n_76R0n1n_76 Registered User regular
    The 2011 series failed because it was shown out of order and never at a consistent time. This will "succeed" in that just like TT:Go and their other shows in this animation style they'll show it in 6hour blocks back to back daily then say "hey it's got high ratings."

Also can we stop the "it's for kids" argument? I wholeheartedly concede I'm not the demographic for this show, but my kid was turned off by it because of what I'm guessing is over saturation of the style in both the comedy and art style.
    Also just because it's directed at kids does not mean it has to be dumbed down and over simplified. We LOVE watching Voltron and Trollhunters on Netflix and the best episodes of Steven U or Adventure time to my kids are the ones with a coherent story. Kids aren't stupid and media directed at them shouldn't be either.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    I really like this snippet from Tycho in the related story:
    This thing where columnists get out there and “own” fans in the service of Global Capital is fucking reprehensible. For Mike’s sake, I feel compelled to establish this firmly: I don’t mean that columnists are seizing and holding things with their tails. I mean there is a trend here where the people who invested their heart in something - the ones in many cases that sustain an IP like this while it enters cryo for a decade or more - are being told to fuck off in an effort to give corporate art a soft landing in the marketplace. They’re all competing to be buried with the pharaoh or something. We’re supposed to be quite impressed.

I felt like this has been the trend for Star Wars articles, especially after TLJ. And even moreso the trend for posters in this forum.

ObiFett on
  • PinnipedPinniped Registered User new member
    It definitely feels weird to "hate" a show that hasn't even aired yet. I understand not liking the art style and/or thinking it'd be a bad fit for Thundercats, but "hate"? That's not a healthy response.

I suspect this is just a case of different people inhabiting different social circles, but all I've seen is some really nasty and really stupid versions of panel 1 going around, and then some people rightly responding "hey, that's nasty/stupid." I think dunking on a terrible take isn't worse than having the terrible take in the first place, the way this comic implies.

• KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    I dont know what that is, but its Not Thundercats. In the same way that Teen Titans Go was not Teen Titans.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    R0n1n_76 wrote: »
    The 2011 series failed because it was shown out of order and never at a consistent time. This will "succeed" in that just like TT:Go and their other shows in this animation style they'll show it in 6hour blocks back to back daily then say "hey it's got high ratings."

Also can we stop the "it's for kids" argument? I wholeheartedly concede I'm not the demographic for this show, but my kid was turned off by it because of what I'm guessing is over saturation of the style in both the comedy and art style.
    Also just because it's directed at kids does not mean it has to be dumbed down and over simplified. We LOVE watching Voltron and Trollhunters on Netflix and the best episodes of Steven U or Adventure time to my kids are the ones with a coherent story. Kids aren't stupid and media directed at them shouldn't be either.

Your kids don't represent the norm in this case, all in all, if they're not interested then simply don't watch it, why get upset at its existence?

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    This thing where columnists get out there and “own” fans in the service of Global Capital is fucking reprehensible. For Mike’s sake, I feel compelled to establish this firmly: I don’t mean that columnists are seizing and holding things with their tails. I mean there is a trend here where the people who invested their heart in something - the ones in many cases that sustain an IP like this while it enters cryo for a decade or more - are being told to fuck off in an effort to give corporate art a soft landing in the marketplace. They’re all competing to be buried with the pharaoh or something. We’re supposed to be quite impressed.

I felt like this has been the trend for Star Wars articles, especially after TLJ. And even moreso the trend for posters in this forum.

This just makes me think some people get way too invested in certain intellectual properties. I have my own personal favorites but I can’t understand being angry about a new version that was a departure from the old one.

Quid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »

This just makes me think some people get way too invested in certain intellectual properties. I have my own personal favorites but I can’t understand being angry about a new version that was a departure from the old one.

I mean, I personally do get it, because I used to be that way when I was younger. I just take it now as a sign of my previous immaturity.