As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I've really enjoyed it every time I've played it personally, which is probably like 20-30 times now.

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    JonBob wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    oh this sounds very good indeed
    The Mind is so profoundly uninteresting to me. I had an enjoyable experience when I tried it, but it's a parlor trick. I don't understand how it would bring anyone back to try again. And it's simple, not in a "how did I think of that" way, but in a "thousands of other people must have thought of this but realized there was no point in publishing it" way. I just don't get it.

Of course I'm happy that people are finding fun there, but I really hope it does not win SdJ. The emperor has no clothes.

It's basically a type of party game, even in the way you describe it. Many are super fun but are barely games (EDIT: ... and I mean nothing negative by that. Many times I would rather engage in a social activity than a proper board game).

I would be pretty surprised to see it win the SdJ. It's a bit too close to Hanabi.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I like party games! I just don't see what this one brings to the table after first exposure.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    My copy of 878 Vikings arrived. I'm impressed with their insert system. Each faction has their own separate box with a transparent lid that keeps all the components inside. They fit the cards, miniatures, and dice. There should be enough room in there to sleeve the cards, too, at least if I use thin ones.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    My copy of 878 Vikings arrived. I'm impressed with their insert system. Each faction has their own separate box with a transparent lid that keeps all the components inside. They fit the cards, miniatures, and dice. There should be enough room in there to sleeve the cards, too, at least if I use thin ones.

I got mine before leaving for a trip, it's still wrapped up. Now I'm more excited to open it up!

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

Thank the gods the publishers are finally accounting for sleeves in their inserts.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My copy of Now Boarding arrived today. I have no idea when I'll be able to play it. Such is a gamer's life...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Anyone know if the expansions for Blood Rage add anything to the game? Besides the obvious 5th player?

I briefly glanced over the gods one. It seemed like it just added more fiddliness rather than adding something significant or needed to the base game.

In other news, a playthrough of the Bloodborne: Hunter's Nightmare expansion confirmed my first impression. The new stuff makes for a MUCH better experience. I enjoyed the base game, but it felt like it didn't quite capture the press your luck feel they were going for. All the new expansion cards positively nail this. In fact almost every single new card has an element of that. I didn't like the Final Bosses in the base game but the new ones all seem great; I don't think I would even use the base Final Bosses again.

I'd call it a mandatory expansion if you were into the original.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Anyone know if the expansions for Blood Rage add anything to the game? Besides the obvious 5th player?

I briefly glanced over the gods one. It seemed like it just added more fiddliness rather than adding something significant or needed to the base game.

In other news, a playthrough of the Bloodborne: Hunter's Nightmare expansion confirmed my first impression. The new stuff makes for a MUCH better experience. I enjoyed the base game, but it felt like it didn't quite capture the press your luck feel they were going for. All the new expansion cards positively nail this. In fact almost every single new card has an element of that. I didn't like the Final Bosses in the base game but the new ones all seem great; I don't think I would even use the base Final Bosses again.

I'd call it a mandatory expansion if you were into the original.

Gods is interesting but doesn't have enough staying power to make it worth buying. 5th player is good but situational. Mystics is fine, I'd always play with it if I had it, but it doesn't add that much. The kickstarter extras were actually excellent :sad:

sig.gif
  • Options
    JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular
    I guess, like ...
    - I find it way too dry for how straightforward it is.
    - It generally feels like fucking people over is frequently ideal, but that doesn't feel fun to do.
    - You spend the least time looking at your own board.
    - You're all making exactly the same thing.

You know, thinking about it, there's a lot of overlap with Sagrada, which I also don't enjoy. They both make a pool of resources you take turns drafting from, and are mostly looking at what you can do now that lets you still play later while minimizing the same options to everyone else playing. Hmmm ...
    I guess I just recommended Sagrada to everyone that likes Azul?

Honestly, try the opposite side of the board. Everyone has to make their own pattern, restricted by the same rules as before (1 type of tile per column / row).

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
  • Options
    I found Azul way more enjoyable and tactically richer than Sagrada. Sagrada was basically hope the stuff you need comes up and if not take stuff other people need. Manipulating the center pile and the available tiles in Azul is more fun and more interesting.

Also speaking of dice drafting, my traded for copies of Roll Player and the expansion came today. I'm pretty excited for this one. Plus I ditched Sidereal Confluence for a game I might ever have a hope in hell of getting to the table, which is nice ;)

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I found Azul way more enjoyable and tactically richer than Sagrada. Sagrada was basically hope the stuff you need comes up and if not take stuff other people need. Manipulating the center pile and the available tiles in Azul is more fun and more interesting.
    That makes sense. There's definitely an absence of manipulation.

• Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Is sidereal confluence hard to get to the table?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    No one in my game group liked it aside from me, so for me yes. It also shines at high player counts while having very niche appeal, so I think also generally yes. I bought it knowing I would likely get rid of it, but if it had hit with my group I would have loved to have kept it around.

• Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The Mind sounds a lot like a theater warmup we used to do, where we all close our eyes, and as a group count up as high as we can, if people say the same number, you start over. Sometimes you can get really high up, it's more an exercise in reading the mood and knowing how to take turns.

The Mind also sounds like the exact kind of game that SUSD loves that I think sounds incredibly stupid, like Witness. (THE witness?)

sig.gif
  • Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    Aaaalllrighty, BGG Spring is upon us. I already have arranged to pick up Legends of Andor, The Grizzled, and Time Stories (+ Marcy) at the convention. Bringing the boy (he's six) and see how long he lasts. I'm also hoping to get a lot of my OWN games played, and really see which ones are worth keeping. The SdJ games will also be there, which I'm looking forward to. Still need to figure out what newer games to take a look at. Much excite!

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Aw yeah, my copy of Bargain Quest has arrived. I'm glad I ordered it after watching that SUSD review. The game sold out practically in a day after the video was posted.

The game's box is pretty small and tight, so I'm going to have to set aside my sleeving obsession for this one. There's no spare room inside. That hurts me.

Dashui on
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    My reccettear addiction tells me I need to buy bargain quest. Let me know how you like it.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Toys R Us is of course going out of business, so day one I ran in there, gathered all the dropmix little mini booster packs I didn't already have but they were only 10% off and while I want more cards, I really already had all the bangers I wanted, so this would just be bonus. So of course I went and hid them in the store. I hid them in the signage at the top of each shelves. They kind of hang down and on the inside there's this little lip that just perfectly fits the dropmix booster. I did it as surreptitiously as possible but it was semi busy so somebody might have seen me slide them in there. I bided my time for as long as I could, because again, I don't really NEED them so I might as well let the price drop. There's no real point in checking on them until I was ready to make the purchase since that just increases the odds of being found out.

My craftiness paid off today. I went in there and all six packs were still there although slightly dusty from their secret hiding place. I also saw they had a million bajillion copies of Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers and I heard that was kind of fun so I was like fuck it, let's do that too. So my total price was $19 and some change. Feel pretty good about that.

• Options
    Game two of Labyrinth has concluded. I'm sorry to tell you all the US has suffered numerous WMD attacks and some of you are probably dead.
    Highlights include the US very boldly regime changing Afghanistan and Central Asia at the same time (though unfortunately just after I claimed two WMDs from the region), and then Afghanistan being turned back to Islamic Rule while still occupied by the US. Additionally, while Pakistan seemed likely to become an early ally, the region stalled out for most of the game before quite spontaneously also flipping to Islamist rule. Ooops, right, they have a nuclear arsenal ...

These games are the best. It's somewhat frustrating, somewhat funny having me play the jihadists because man oh man am I good at rolling 5s on those dice. I just make the US so many friends and then relentlessly fail to hurt them. :P Just gotta roll with those punches~

• Options
    Bargain Quest update: the box will fit sleeved cards if you remove the insert. The insert wasn't large, but removing it let me place the store mats a different way and open up a bunch of space. However, this only really works if you use thin sleeves. Maydays fit perfectly.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    The Mind also sounds like the exact kind of game that SUSD loves that I think sounds incredibly stupid, like Witness. (THE witness?)

I think SU&SD stayed too long undercover, and now they base their reviews entirely on "which game's concept would would let us write an esoteric rambling prose video about?" and then work their way backwards to an opinion from there.

MrBody on
  • Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Toys R Us is of course going out of business, so day one I ran in there, gathered all the dropmix little mini booster packs I didn't already have but they were only 10% off and while I want more cards, I really already had all the bangers I wanted, so this would just be bonus. So of course I went and hid them in the store. I hid them in the signage at the top of each shelves. They kind of hang down and on the inside there's this little lip that just perfectly fits the dropmix booster. I did it as surreptitiously as possible but it was semi busy so somebody might have seen me slide them in there. I bided my time for as long as I could, because again, I don't really NEED them so I might as well let the price drop. There's no real point in checking on them until I was ready to make the purchase since that just increases the odds of being found out.

My craftiness paid off today. I went in there and all six packs were still there although slightly dusty from their secret hiding place. I also saw they had a million bajillion copies of Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers and I heard that was kind of fun so I was like fuck it, let's do that too. So my total price was $19 and some change. Feel pretty good about that.

This is stealing. You're saying it like a good thing, but it's a bad thing.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Completely unrelated aside, but hell was working at Toys R Us for a summer job during the height of Pokemon card craze in '99. Huge ass mob (not a line) pressing against the glass door an hour before opening. Kids trying to return opened packs because they didn't have the card they wanted. And my personal favorite, grown adults getting into a shouting match with you when you told them there was a 2 pack limit per customer.

I did ring up Tim Allen twice during that summer though. Dude always looked completely miserable. Each time was for the most absurdly expensive item in the store, like a $400 (in 1999 dollars) doll.

MrBody on
  • Options
    discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Aether wrote: »

If you're stealing from the banks, is it morally wrong?

• Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

What? It’s ok to do bad things to bad people, assuming for the sake of argument that banks are bad? Interesting.

Any, you’re also taking the opportunity away from people who would have been to prepared to pay the non “hidden for weeks” price.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    I think discrider was being sarcastic, or was "taking the piss".

Although, I'm not 100% clear on it being stealing. Is it because it would have theoretically been sold for a higher price, and so the store would have had more earnings?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Stealing may not be the exact correct term but it was a shitty, mean spirited thing to do that should not be celebrated.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    It's not even stealing from banks, depending on the supplier stock at Toys R Us 30 or 60 day invoices - the suppliers are unsecured creditors so the less money that the stock sells for the less money they will get.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I had assumed that the liquidation would just be used to pay the Toys'R'Us debt that was originally used to buy out the place and then gut it.
    If that's the case, I'm okay with not paying the liquidators fair prices.

So to answer the question:

What? It’s ok to do bad things to bad people, assuming for the sake of argument that banks are bad? Interesting.
    That's an over-broad generalisation.
    But yes, it's ok to take money from people who have too much money, assuming for the sake of argument that you do not have too much money.
    Any, you’re also taking the opportunity away from people who would have been to prepared to pay the non “hidden for weeks” price.
    And this opportunity cost is irrelevant; clearly some selection of people end up with the goods, and I don't believe any one person has any moral reason to receive the goods, so I don't think the number or arrangement of people who will receive the goods matters.
    That is, I see no moral difference between one person hoarding them, or having them distributed more evenly, so long as the goods are used.

discrider on
  • Options
    How did the board game thread wind up dealing with video game piracy arguments? :S

• Options
    Support indie devs tho.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I feel less sorry for the store than I do for any other poor guy coming in looking for dropmix stuff and walking away disappointed because it was there but someone had actively hidden it.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I feel less sorry for the store than I do for any other poor guy coming in looking for dropmix stuff and walking away disappointed because it was there but someone had actively hidden it.

Do they..
    Do the booster cards for Dropmix have rarities?
    Because limiting the addiction to a single person might also be a good thing.

• Options

Do they..
    Do the booster cards for Dropmix have rarities?
    Because limiting the addiction to a single person might also be a good thing.
    No.

• Options
    Ah, well then.
    The hypothetical person would be just as disappointed if they were all sold out.
    No matter who buys the pack, everyone else misses out.
    So hiding the pack doesn't really change anything there, so long as the recipient still uses the cards.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Stealing may not be the exact correct term but it was a shitty, mean spirited thing to do that should not be celebrated.

I'm sorry, who was I mean to?

• Options
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess from how far you're reaching with the "Maybe it's good if only one person gets addicted to booster packs?" remark, that you really aren't sure you're in the right here.
    Ah, well then.
    The hypothetical person would be just as disappointed if they were all sold out.
    So hiding the pack doesn't really change anything there, so long as the recipient still uses the cards.
    Even if the person them-self does not know why they cannot have the thing they want, that doesn't remove any moral consequence from the original action. Disappointing someone who was willing to spend $10 on something because you were only willing to spend $5, so you literally took and hid the something before they could buy it is not good. There is a social contract as to why you might miss out on something - you waited too long or weren't willing to spend enough or the thing is never available in your region, but someone intentionally displacing inventory to return to at their leisure is not one of them.
    You are arguing this from so far out in left field I cannot fathom you believe any of it, or would be okay with the exact situation in question happening to you yourself. :S

Mean-spirited does not mean you have to specifically target anyone. It's mean-spirited because you took away the potential for other people to benefit from the sale so that you could benefit from it more at a later date. This is unambiguously wrong morally, regardless of whether or not anyone else would have actually bought the thing in the meantime.
    From the way you told your story, you make it sound like all the other product was sold by the time you returned for it. If that's true, you're presenting some pretty damning evidence as to exactly why it's mean-spirited.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess from how far you're reaching with the "Maybe it's good if only one person gets addicted to booster packs?" remark, that you really aren't sure you're in the right here.
    Ah, well then.
    Even if the person them-self does not know why they cannot have the thing they want, that doesn't remove any moral consequence from the original action. Disappointing someone who was willing to spend $10 on something because you were only willing to spend $5, so you literally took and hid the something before they could buy it is not good. There is a social contract as to why you might miss out on something - you waited too long or weren't willing to spend enough or the thing is never available in your region, but someone intentionally displacing inventory to return to at their leisure is not one of them.
    You are arguing this from so far out in left field I cannot fathom you believe any of it, or would be okay with the exact situation in question happening to you yourself. :S

The 'moral contract' in question is just capitalism determining the allocation of scarce resources.
    There is no moral judgement inherent in the system as to why the person with enough money should buy something whereas the one without should not.
    For instance, there is no difference between hiding the packs and buying them all aside the amount of money given to the liquidators, so would Chaoshat then still be in the wrong if he bought them all originally and disappointed later buyers that way?

Personally, I feel that giving more money to the liquidators is instead a net harm, as it just lets the banks recoup their costs without financial penalty, allowing them to engage in more risky investments that cost more employees their jobs.
    Perhaps more people get some packs? But I don't see that as being anything but morally equivalent to one person having all the packs.

discrider on
  • Options

Mean-spirited does not mean you have to specifically target anyone. It's mean-spirited because you took away the potential for other people to benefit from the sale so that you could benefit from it more at a later date. This is unambiguously wrong morally, regardless of whether or not anyone else would have actually bought the thing in the meantime.
    From the way you told your story, you make it sound like all the other product was sold by the time you returned for it. If that's true, you're presenting some pretty damning evidence as to exactly why it's mean-spirited.

Mean spirited DOES imply that I did it out of a desire to be mean to someone. It's doing out of a desire to harm someone or cause pain. Which, I would argue I did not do at all. You could say it was inconsiderate and I would probably agree with that. I guess I just disagree that anyone has more of a right to it than I do regardless of how much they're willing to spend on it.

It seems like the complaint is that I bought something at a lower price when someone was willing to pay a higher price for it and I robbed them of that opportunity. So I guess I should feel sorry for having preordered my Nintendo Wii on launch year instead of giving someone the opportunity to buy it for more on ebay? Like I just don't really get who is hurt by this.

This discussion has been closed.