As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    In other news Roll Player is Real Good. The theme is perfect for the mechanics, and the decisions are meaningful but still light and brisk feeling. If you like puzzly games and this theme looks good to you definitely check it out.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    But clearly the right thing to do with the Magic cards was to hide them too, and then eventually bin the lot of them.
    Or maybe build a drafting Cube?
    Easier to bin em though.

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    But clearly the right thing to do with the Magic cards was to hide them too, and then eventually bin the lot of them.
    Or maybe build a drafting Cube?
    Easier to bin em though.

No, it's the Magic themed miniatures game that's based off of some old tabletop game.

It is probably too late to suggest protesting the closure of Toys'R'Us over there by going to the stores and just moving merchandise to random spots all around the stores.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Stealing may not be the exact correct term but it was a shitty, mean spirited thing to do that should not be celebrated.

I'm sorry, who was I mean to?
    Mean-spirited does not mean you have to specifically target anyone. It's mean-spirited because you took away the potential for other people to benefit from the sale so that you could benefit from it more at a later date. This is unambiguously wrong morally, regardless of whether or not anyone else would have actually bought the thing in the meantime.
    From the way you told your story, you make it sound like all the other product was sold by the time you returned for it. If that's true, you're presenting some pretty damning evidence as to exactly why it's mean-spirited.

Mean spirited DOES imply that I did it out of a desire to be mean to someone. It's doing out of a desire to harm someone or cause pain. Which, I would argue I did not do at all. You could say it was inconsiderate and I would probably agree with that. I guess I just disagree that anyone has more of a right to it than I do regardless of how much they're willing to spend on it.

It seems like the complaint is that I bought something at a lower price when someone was willing to pay a higher price for it and I robbed them of that opportunity. So I guess I should feel sorry for having preordered my Nintendo Wii on launch year instead of giving someone the opportunity to buy it for more on ebay? Like I just don't really get who is hurt by this.
    mean-spir·it·ed
    ˌmēnˈspirədəd/
    adjective
    inconsiderate and unsympathetic.
    This is exactly how you have carried yourself :P

The problem with the bold part is that you've decided you have more of a right to it than anyone else.
    The problem with the rest of what you posted is that it is in no way similar or related to the previous situation and you're trying to deflect.

ArcticLancer on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    In other news Roll Player is Real Good. The theme is perfect for the mechanics, and the decisions are meaningful but still light and brisk feeling. If you like puzzly games and this theme looks good to you definitely check it out.
    I mostly love that someone decided the most fun they had with an RPG was filling out a character sheet, and wanted to make that into a game. XD

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    Completely unrelated aside, but hell was working at Toys R Us for a summer job during the height of Pokemon card craze in '99. Huge ass mob (not a line) pressing against the glass door an hour before opening. Kids trying to return opened packs because they didn't have the card they wanted. And my personal favorite, grown adults getting into a shouting match with you when you told them there was a 2 pack limit per customer.

I did ring up Tim Allen twice during that summer though. Dude always looked completely miserable. Each time was for the most absurdly expensive item in the store, like a $400 (in 1999 dollars) doll.

I'm old enough to have worked in a the Toy Department at Caldor during a couple of college summers when the Cabbage Patch doll hysteria struck. Hysteria is not too strong a word, either. A shipment of Cabbage Patch dolls would arrive but since the loading dock was not connected to the backroom, we had to drive them across the store on a cart surrounded by a phalanx of employees so that crazy people would not grab them off the cart before we had a chance to lock them up and then call the first people on the TEN PAGE LONG wait list.

True story.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    I mostly love that someone decided the most fun they had with an RPG was filling out a character sheet, and wanted to make that into a game. XD

... honestly, he not wrong.

Character creation is often one of the most fun parts of the game for me.

• RendRend Registered User regular
    What's happened is similar to if someone had made a low bid at auction and colluded with the auctioneer to not notice any other bids.

You've denied other individuals the opportunity to take a deal you decided to pass on.

It's about denying people their fair shot at getting the stuff both of you want.

Or if you had colluded with the seller to accept your low offer before auction, thereby removing all other partys' ability to counterbid.

• JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Or if you had colluded with the seller to accept your low offer before auction, thereby removing all other partys' ability to counterbid.
    No, that's not the same. In that case, the buyer and seller are both agreeing to the behavior. You might argue this is unfair to other parties, and it might not be in the seller's best interest, but it's not inherently immoral. The seller has the right to do this.

In the matter we're discussing, other parties are prevented from participating without the seller's knowledge and obviously without their consent. The seller is being harmed here, and the fact it is a "faceless corporation" doesn't make it any less of a harm.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • RendRend Registered User regular

Assuming the item was listed beforehand and the other buyers assumed they would have the chance to buy it at auction (instead of asking to buy it beforehand), yeah that would be a similar scenario.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Just got back from Toys R Us. My kid was looking for Dropmix boosters so I called them up and they said they had 6 left in stock. I drove over an hour through a ton of traffic to get to the store. The signage said they were 50% off, but I couldn't find them on the peg. I figured they were sold out, but I asked an employee anyway.

She said the computer noted they still had 6 left in stock. We looked again and couldn't find them. Since the store was super busy, I didn't want to hold her back from checking out all the people in line. She says sometimes kids steal the packs.

Well that was a fucking waste of my morning and my kid was super disappointed when I came home empty handed. My fault for getting her hopes up I guess...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    What's up in here guys and gal....oh.

Moral relativism. What a fantastic edition to both the thread and world in general.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    What's up in here guys and gal....oh.

Moral relativism. What a fantastic edition to both the thread and world in general.
    I know, right? I kickstarted my copy of Moral Relativism, but I never got the Nietzsche or Plato stretch goals. It's an outrage. They say it's "on the boat", whatever that means.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    No, that's not the same. In that case, the buyer and seller are both agreeing to the behavior. You might argue this is unfair to other parties, and it might not be in the seller's best interest, but it's not inherently immoral. The seller has the right to do this.

In the matter we're discussing, other parties are prevented from participating without the seller's knowledge and obviously without their consent. The seller is being harmed here, and the fact it is a "faceless corporation" doesn't make it any less of a harm.

I would normally agree, but in this case it isn't a "faceless corporation" being harmed, it's the banks that loaned the money to Bain Capital for the leveraged buyout that bankrupted Toys R Us in the first place. And quite frankly, to hell with them for taking part in such a harmful and immoral business practice.

On the other hand, I do agree that other customers who would have happily bought the packs at a lesser discount were harmed enough that I wouldn't hide merchandise like that myself.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    Bargain Quest is a great game, but it's too light, even with the longer game variant. I wish someone would make a medium weight game with that theme.

I guess dungeon pets comes close? I did enjoy that one a great deal.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    edited May 2018
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Just got back from Toys R Us. My kid was looking for Dropmix boosters so I called them up and they said they had 6 left in stock. I drove over an hour through a ton of traffic to get to the store. The signage said they were 50% off, but I couldn't find them on the peg. I figured they were sold out, but I asked an employee anyway.

She said the computer noted they still had 6 left in stock. We looked again and couldn't find them. Since the store was super busy, I didn't want to hold her back from checking out all the people in line. She says sometimes kids steal the packs.

Well that was a fucking waste of my morning and my kid was super disappointed when I came home empty handed. My fault for getting her hopes up I guess...

I worked at Circuit City when they went out of business. It's also highly likely that the employees hid them. Or they were just stolen as she said, as any item can be at any time for any reason, regardless of whether the company is having a sale or not.

A few months ago I had a similar situation. I went to Target to buy those cool blue joycons for my Nintendo Switch this is when they had been sold out for months. I had checked online and it said they had them in stock at not my store, but one 30 minutes away. I drove over and looked for them, didn't see them so I asked an employee. I even provided the item number from their website so he could plug it into their system and they definitely still had it. Did he know where? Nope. Could have been on the truck they unloaded but he said he couldn't really look through all of that right now, could have been stolen or misplaced or hidden or some inventory error. That was a bummer.

But like I don't remember being mad at anyone, or the concept of a person who may or may not have actually harmed me.

ChaosHat on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    My swype autocorrect made that a more boardgame relevant joke. Well played, phone.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Bargain Quest is a great game, but it's too light, even with the longer game variant. I wish someone would make a medium weight game with that theme.

Dungeon Pets has been on my list for years. I wonder if I'd really be able to bring it to the table often though as I remember it being complex to learn. Better than Dungeon Lords though I think. Has that guy been making any other games lately?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

38thDoe wrote: »

Dungeon Pets has been on my list for years. I wonder if I'd really be able to bring it to the table often though as I remember it being complex to learn. Better than Dungeon Lords though I think. Has that guy been making any other games lately?

The Through the Ages remake, if that counts. Or a shitton of Codenames.

• crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Just because employees or other people stole/hid things in a similar situation doesn't mean you should.

Someone doesn't have to be upset at anyone for it to be wrong.

Whatever it was, it was selfish.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Zombicide: Green Horde extras are shipping, got mine today!

It's a huge box, and I gotta wait for my wife to come home before we open it

but damn I'm excited to see all this stuff!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Please do not use these forums to show off about your latest grift. No one is interested in your justifications for stealing.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote: »

We've only played Green Horde once so far, and it felt a bit bland to me. There was almost always one obvious best choice for what to do each turn, and rarely any meaningful decisions to be made. I'm hoping the extras will give the game a bit more life.

edited May 2018
    In other news, the new version of Lost Cities with the auctioning seems interesting. I've always wanted a Knizia auction game but auction games play pretty poorly with 2 historically. But since this is Lost Cities maybe it works at that count? I've also heard Medici (or is it Medici the card game?) is pretty good for that.

ChaosHat on
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular

Ketar wrote: »

We've only played Green Horde once so far, and it felt a bit bland to me. There was almost always one obvious best choice for what to do each turn, and rarely any meaningful decisions to be made. I'm hoping the extras will give the game a bit more life.

I'm out of town so my hope is I get the extra when I get back, but I don't think things ship super quickly to New Mexico compared to the seaboards. I've only played Green Horde once for the intro quest and we failed due to one person dying. Next time we play I'll have more cool stuff and most especially the dragons and Deadeye Walkers to make it a harrowing journey. I have extra tiles so I'm considering setting up the board for a Green Horde quest and then surrounding those tiles so it's a big map with more options but without changing spawns or other parameters.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
    edited May 2018
    In other news, the new version of Lost Cities with the auctioning seems interesting. I've always wanted a Knizia auction game but auction games play pretty poorly with 2 historically. But since this is Lost Cities maybe it works at that count? I've also heard Medici (or is it Medici the card game?) is pretty good for that.

Ra is fun 2p though I wouldn't necessarily buy it as solely a 2p game. Medici vs Strozzi is 2p only and is supposed to be great but I havent played it personally.

I'm pretty curious about the new Lost Cities! Though I'm not sure how many more auction games my wife will tolerate lol. I love them, she likes them sometimes.

Ah_Pook on
  • AetherAether Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Stealing may not be the exact correct term but it was a shitty, mean spirited thing to do that should not be celebrated.

I'm sorry, who was I mean to?
    Mean-spirited does not mean you have to specifically target anyone. It's mean-spirited because you took away the potential for other people to benefit from the sale so that you could benefit from it more at a later date. This is unambiguously wrong morally, regardless of whether or not anyone else would have actually bought the thing in the meantime.
    From the way you told your story, you make it sound like all the other product was sold by the time you returned for it. If that's true, you're presenting some pretty damning evidence as to exactly why it's mean-spirited.

Mean spirited DOES imply that I did it out of a desire to be mean to someone. It's doing out of a desire to harm someone or cause pain. Which, I would argue I did not do at all. You could say it was inconsiderate and I would probably agree with that. I guess I just disagree that anyone has more of a right to it than I do regardless of how much they're willing to spend on it.

It seems like the complaint is that I bought something at a lower price when someone was willing to pay a higher price for it and I robbed them of that opportunity. So I guess I should feel sorry for having preordered my Nintendo Wii on launch year instead of giving someone the opportunity to buy it for more on ebay? Like I just don't really get who is hurt by this.

If you can’t see the difference between using a system everyone has the same access to (pre ordering) and concealing stock from potential buyers so you can get it cheaper I’m not sure there’s any point in continuing the discussion.

Particularly in a board game thread, your disdain for the rules seems weird.

Aether on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I feel like my post above should have resolved the situation to everyone's satisfaction and do not require further help with this one.

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    "ChaosHat wrote: »
    My craftiness paid off today. I went in there and all six packs were still there although slightly dusty from their secret hiding place. I also saw they had a million bajillion copies of Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers and I heard that was kind of fun so I was like fuck it, let's do that too. So my total price was $19 and some change. Feel pretty good about that.

This game is pretty good, though as an old Heroscape fan I'm kind of biased. They had a couple of expansions for it as well.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Anyone else back that Gùgōng (The Forbidden City) game? Something about it was really speaking to me.

Darric on
    Darric wrote: »
    Anyone else back that Gùgōng (The Forbidden City) game? Something about it was really speaking to me.

I think it looks neat but also I don't care about the deluxe stuff, so I'm fine waiting for retail

Ivellius wrote: »
    [quote="ChaosHat;c-39574561My craftiness paid off today. I went in there and all six packs were still there although slightly dusty from their secret hiding place. I also saw they had a million bajillion copies of Magic: Arena of the Planeswalkers and I heard that was kind of fun so I was like fuck it, let's do that too. So my total price was $19 and some change. Feel pretty good about that.

This game is pretty good, though as an old Heroscape fan I'm kind of biased. They had a couple of expansions for it as well.[/quote]

Yea it's a solid fun little skirmish game. It really comes into it's own once you get the expansions and can do some deck/army building. Plus the whole shebang was ludicrously cheap the last time I looked on Amazon.

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Since it was recommended so highly in this thread, my son bought my wife Exit: Abandoned Cabin for Mother's Day. We had a great time with it and I believe we only needed 1 hint card. She loved it and within a week, she picked up the Exit: Secret Lab. We tried it tonight and I must say that I don't ever want to play an Exit game again. I am not sure if it was the puzzles, having to convert numbers to colors over and over again, or the lack of anything really interesting, but we absolutely HATED IT. It reminded me more of homework than an actual game.

Abandoned Cabin was really great though. Some of the puzzles in there were really well done and there were 2 we will never forget.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Ouch. I was about to go on an Exit purchasing spree. Secret Lab really that bad? Any others in the Exit/Escape/Unlock series to avoid?

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »

I'm all over it due to it's Great Western Trail vibe.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    MrBody wrote: »
    Ouch. I was about to go on an Exit purchasing spree. Secret Lab really that bad? Any others in the Exit/Escape/Unlock series to avoid?

We have only played the 2 games. From looking at comments on BGG it seems the people really like Secret Lab or felt like it had a lot of leaps in logic. The Dice Tower guys mentioned that Abandoned Cabin had 2 really great moments and Pharaoh's tomb had 1, but didn't mention anything about Secret Lab.

The wife and I don't mind getting puzzles wrong and finding out that the puzzle was more clever than us. This game has a lot of "REALLY that was it!" moments. The first few puzzles are one at a time, so with many people there isn't a lot to do.

My wife wants to try another game though, so maybe we will try the Polar Station or Forbidden Island.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    God I hate Alhambra's scoring board. I wished they went for function rather than aesthetic. I'm also sorely tempted to print out recolored money cards so that the minor misstep of associating purchases with the building color rather than currency color disappears altogether. When you're used to it, okay, it rarely hits you, but for newer players it's annoying.

Really lovely game though. One of the games my sister loves playing and is very good at. Very competitive too - so much so she called for a rematch when she came in last place in our three player game.

Wearingglasses on
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    All four of the Exit games I've tried have been really fun. I've done Secret Lab, Pharaoh's Tomb, Abandoned Cabin, Forgotten Island. Any one of them is better than any of the Unlock! games I've played.

This discussion has been closed.