As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Those are just big, stone dicks. Why do they think that will keep Slaanesh under control?

Whose dumb idea was this?
    "You can leave as soon as you decide on a dildo"

I'm not sorry.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
    oh no that was top of the page now I am super sorry.

steam_sig.png
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Nagash faction focus:
    Am I alone in being turned of from the game by reading something like getting 480 attacks with rerolls during a single round from a single unit that can be brought back when destroyed?

That just sound horrible to play with or against.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Nagash faction focus:
    Am I alone in being turned of from the game by reading something like getting 480 attacks with rerolls during a single round from a single unit that can be brought back when destroyed?

That just sound horrible to play with or against.

No; the buckets of dice you potentially need for some units is off-putting especially when re-rolls come into the equation.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    You gotta keep your dice sorted good and proper to get any sort of decent game speed with those sort of units (coming from someone with way too many Witch Aelves).

Note that it's 480 attacks only under very particular circumstances: that all 40 skeletons are both alive and in range, that you have the necessary CP prepared in the turn you need them, that all the buffing heroes are still alive and in range, both that Van Hel's is cast and it is your own turn (cos it doesn't work in your opponents combat phase) etc.
    It's something of an outlier, I think.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    I decided that when my friends and I start doing fantasy I'm gonna play the Deepkin over Skaven. Skaven have some awesome looking units but none of them ride sharks.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    You gotta keep your dice sorted good and proper to get any sort of decent game speed with those sort of units (coming from someone with way too many Witch Aelves).

Note that it's 480 attacks only under very particular circumstances: that all 40 skeletons are both alive and in range, that you have the necessary CP prepared in the turn you need them, that all the buffing heroes are still alive and in range, both that Van Hel's is cast and it is your own turn (cos it doesn't work in your opponents combat phase) etc.
    It's something of an outlier, I think.

Even so, it just makes me think they've got a dice-rolling app in the pipeline. I mean, I'm sure there are free options, seeing as there are web pages that do it, but I could see GW having some officially licensed one that's vetted for tournament use.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    They already have one, it’s called Battle Dice. It’s 40k themed but works fine for AoS.

• H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    Ah, well then.

If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
    I really like this bit about spell hunting wizards from the endless spells article
    Endless spells are one of the unforeseen consequences of Nagash’s machinations in Shyish. Where previously spells would dissipate naturally, many now take on a life of their own, roaming the realms and accumulating power almost indefinitely. Some wizards in the Mortal Realms have even taken up work as bounty hunters, tracking them down and dispelling them, while certain examples are as notorious as any dragon or beast that lives in the woods, like the legendary Phantom Blade that cleaves through Ulgu.

So 2nd edition is coming? That means I shouldn't buy a rulebook, right?

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't know as my brother is waiting on more news about the aelfs wood/high before i get the book as all i do is paint

I bought the army book for the Deepkin but I'm not sure what else I need for rules. I don't see a core rulebook on the GW site.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    So 2nd edition is coming? That means I shouldn't buy a rulebook, right?

AoS's main rules are free anyway. Do you mean the general's handbook? That is different.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    Yeah, there's no current 40k-style 'core rulebook' for AoS, the main rules for the game are free on the website.
    When 2nd edition drops there is going to be a big book with the rules which presumable collates all the disparate fluff stuff together to some degree?

The General's Handbook is kind of a gaming guide, sort of, which includes a few modifiers to the core rules to balance things out for Matched Play, along with some missions to use and points costs for most units in the game (though your Idoneth book will have all the points you need), plus stuff like how to construct a 'legal' army and such. But in theory the General's Handbook gets a yearly update around August, and this year's is suppose to release in coincidence with AoS 2.0, so there's no need to grab one of those right now I think.

• bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    I was going to ask if there's anyway for someone who hasn't been into Fantasy since Undead were the main death faction (before they split right down the middle into Vampire Counts and Tomb Kings) to get caught up to speed and/or learn how to play. What do I actually need, to know wtf I'm doing? Just an army book? Recommending the General's Handbook? Is the digital General's Handbook (if there is one) updated every year or do I have to buy that every time a new one is released? I have like 3,000 points of undead in like, 3rd edition fantasy, and have no idea where to start in AoS. Or if I should just wait for 2.0 and see where things lie (which I was thinking of doing just to see what they put in the new starter box.)

akirasig.jpg
    edited May 2018
    For just learning the basic rules you can download the base rules and the warscrolls (unit rules) for free.

Plunk down some models with friend and try it out.

For all the extra stuff like magic items, army wide benefits, etc. Battletome: Legions of Nagash is the way to go. It's already written for 2nd edition. Although there is also the Flesheater Courts.

The nighthaunt ghost army from the new starter will probably get its own battletome, but I'm not sure. Maybe they'll just be an add-on to the legions.

Maybe take a look at the different sections of the death alliance in the online store to see where your model collection fits in.

edit:
    Kinda dissapointed that the Shadespire warbands model only boxes are only 2,50€ less that the complete sets.

honovere on
    Stragint wrote: »
    I bought the army book for the Deepkin but I'm not sure what else I need for rules. I don't see a core rulebook on the GW site.

Your deepkin book is fine, but there might be more rules/choices soon with 2nd/GH2018. It's murky on what will be where.

Right now the rules / most warscrolls are free: https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/AoS_Rulesheets/warhammer-aos-rules-en.pdf

You would need a generals handbook, or their mobile app/ the warscroll builder for points. I cant recommend picking up a GH2017, the new one is out in a month.

steam_sig.png
    Cool, in that case I'll wait till next month for that release and check out the rules and such. Also gonna watch some bat reps to get familiar with the army.

The one big thing I notice about the warhammer community rule reveals, they all seem formatted to fit in boxes for mobile aspect ratio if you stacked them. I am curious if they will have a real warscroll format that works in mobile devices...

steam_sig.png
    Oh look, it's a Ringwraith new special character Kurdoss Valentian, the Craven King.

UKExpo-June1-Nighthaunt9wc.jpg

One of three Nighthaunt special characters.

https://warhammer-community.com/2018/06/01/codexes-kings-cawdors-and-more/

Always a fan of a hero model that maintains a characterful presence without an action pose, looks great.
    Silhouette on the left looks to be riding an undead pegasus/winged nightmare, possibly a vampire of some sort? And on the right is the Mortarch of Grief I'm pretty sure.
    Could be Vlad and Isabella returned as vengeful spirits, maybe?

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    New card packs for Shadespire announced, which is a great idea to keep things fresh without going for the full next setting, which I’m keen to see but just not yet.

I’m having fun tweaking a Shadespire skelly-bones deck and meeting some decent success in my little play bubble. Lots of upgrade weapons to offset their lack of high damage strikers seems to be doing well.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    I wonder about it since Magore when inspired gets a demonic weapon so what would he get then in the new pack?

I know I am not trying to make a beardy deck since I am only playing for fun but the temption is there

Lots of new Stuff coming with the new edition, also probably the first time GW has a woman front and center on a release.

https://warhammer-community.com/2018/06/05/soul-wars-announced/

The little skull headed raven is adorable.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    That all looks super rad but I'm concerned about where this is going. I've been around long enough to see 40k go from a skirmish game to Epic at 28mm.

I'm very worried we're seeing AoS starting down that path.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    edited June 2018
    Yeah, magic as an expansion and large scale battle rules are not really enticing.

The magic hunting path to glory stuff sounds fun. But getting severeal books and boxes just for that is off putting and I also dought I could find anyone here to concentrate on that part of AoS.

Also Looking at the content preview of the GHB 18 it looks like Highborn are getting ignored..

edit: Looking at the store and warscroll builder, the elf stuff is still all over the place and a bunch of the models I have don't seem to show up in the warscroll builder and others that still have models in the store don't even have rules to download. Spireguard don't seem to work as battleline in the builder anymore, I guess with Spire of Dawn gone they said fuck it.

honovere on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Hmm, someone has pointed out that these new AoS box guys can quite easily split into Shadespire band size groups, and they are push fit with scenic bases.

Possible dual purpose planning going on?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Mmm, those books are lookin' good, real good. Delicious lore.

On that note, the trailer for Soul Wars made me realize: there was that Malign Portents event that went on, and I have no idea what was actually involved with. I Just remember loads and loads of build-up and short stories and trailers, but I don't recall there being any actual outcome. Seems like Nagash did something to magic, judging by this stuff about the Necroquake, but those details all feel post-Malign Portents. Was it all building up to this new edition?

H9f4bVe.png
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Yes, pretty much. The Malign Portents were about Nagash’s plan to steal back the souls of the Stormcast, who he feels should rightly belong to him, what with them being dead, several times over.
    He may or may not have been collecting the broken bits of Stormcast that have troubled reforgings to make some kind of undead armoured elite not!Stormcast too.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Oops, I slipped and bought the Tzeentch Changecult box.

• DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Get a Thaumaturge so you can muscle while you wizard

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited June 2018
    Dayspring wrote: »

aSG9NiW.jpg

Yeah, I might just pick up the Silver Tower box. Lots of Tzeentchy stuff and it even includes a board game!

Echo on
    Echo wrote: »
    Dayspring wrote: »

aSG9NiW.jpg

Yeah, I might just pick up the Silver Tower box. Lots of Tzeentchy stuff and it even includes a board game!

I got it with 2 other games when I came back to GW games as on ebay I had it set to email me about hero quest stuff as I was looking for items and such from all the copies of the game {original flavor,advanced and Warhammer quest}

Since I had quit I really had no idea what Sliver Tower was did they reboot the quest games? what is the heroes in the game and so on.

I have a set of the minis from the game as well since in my half sleep trawling of ebay after work I was confused and bought it thinking I got the game for a good rate {Someone was offering a deal on ebay during the late summer as you could get 3 games for a good rate of 250 He tossed in Assassinorum: Execution Force for free and the sad thing is that game has gotten the most action of the 4 games I got Sliver tower, Death Watch Overkill, gangs of commorragh as this game trying to find out more about it lead me back to 40k as at the time it was WTF is the Ynnari
    I really want to play the other two but one is out due to having a blood raven and the other is out because well it's not my brother's cup of tea to play the aeldari of any flavor

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Silver Tower is super fun.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Silver Tower is super fun.

Indeed! We've had some super close calls, and a few complete failures when our Fyreslayer player keeps going GOTTAGOFAST so he can keep killing for his passive ability, but that's half the fun!

Silver Tower is great, yeah, Hammerhal is also entertaining, but it's less madcap than ST cos you've gotta have the DM player doing everything.
    Hopefully a new WQ box gets rolled out somewhere along the AoS 2.0 timeline.

Think I'll steal this orange armor. Looks great.

HBsic1U.jpg

• No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Whiiiinnnnessss

I want the 2.0 starter box right noooooooooooooow

Community page has a little primer about what's currently going on with the universe and Nagash going into the next edition:

The War For Souls

This discussion has been closed.