As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Eternal Card Game] Set two, Omens of the Past, released!

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I think you could make Echo work fine in a physical game if you had a 'token card' system. "When you draw this card, put a token card that's a copy of this card into your hand." And you could have a stack of placeholder tokens like the DFC checkbox cards, but with a list of Echo cards to be extra clear about it.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Warcry is completely unworkable in physical games for memory reasons, and they like doing some things that fill that role. For example, cards keeping stat buffs regardless of which zone they enter.
    I think you could make Echo work fine in a physical game if you had a 'token card' system. "When you draw this card, put a token card that's a copy of this card into your hand." And you could have a stack of placeholder tokens like the DFC checkbox cards, but with a list of Echo cards to be extra clear about it.

It could theoretically work but the gameplay cost probably isn't worth it. Miracle in MTG is a mechanic that is completely reasonable and playable mechanically, but the actual physical act of needing to keep the card you draw separate from your hand every turn until you decide to either A. play the miracle card or B. stop bluffing that you may have drawn a miracle card to keep your opponent guessing.

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    I thought about Warcry for a second with the "put a die on top of the deck" trick people use to remember Aether Vial's trigger but then I remembered you still have to track it while it's in hand so that went nowhere.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    You'd basically have to reveal the card that was getting the Warcry tokens, which is feasible, though of course that weakens it considerably since your opponent now has that info.

edited May 2018

It could theoretically work but the gameplay cost probably isn't worth it. Miracle in MTG is a mechanic that is completely reasonable and playable mechanically, but the actual physical act of needing to keep the card you draw separate from your hand every turn until you decide to either A. play the miracle card or B. stop bluffing that you may have drawn a miracle card to keep your opponent guessing.

Considering you have to take an action upon drawing it (adding another card to your hand) it'd be a forced reveal anyway, so I don't think there's any awkward bluff issue there. I guess if you phrase it as a may it'd have the same issue Miracle does, but you can circumvent that by just making it a required action (which it happens to be in Eternal anyway).
    R-dem wrote: »
    You'd basically have to reveal the card that was getting the Warcry tokens, which is feasible, though of course that weakens it considerably since your opponent now has that info.

Technically you'd have to reveal every card you draw to show that it was or wasn't a creature, which determines if the Warcry buff is used up by the draw or not. And having to remember that the card has the buff while it's in your hand but you haven't casted it yet is definitely asking too much of both players to remember (unless it like, exiles it with the counters on it, and you can play it while it's exiled and it etbs with that many +1/+1 counters... that's just too messy).

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    Part of the reason I like Eternal so much is that it CAN do stuff that a paper card game can't, and straight up revels in it. Warcry, Echo, retaining buffs between zones (Heeeelllo Haunting Scream) Aegis (much better than Hexproof in some ways, but opinions on that are divided), Warp... all great mechanics. Aegis could easily work in a paper game, though.

Plus, Twinbrood Sauropod is a straight up awesome card, in both limited and (some) constructed decks. Pretty sure that's one of the LSV-designed cards of note.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
    If I were gonna design a shitty paper Warcry, I would write it as:

Warcry: When a creature with Warcry attacks, add a +1/+1 counter to the Warcry Pool. If there are counters in the Pool when you draw a creature, you must reveal it and add it to the Warcry Zone, and assign all counters in the Pool to the creature. The Zone is considered part of your hand. If a creature is in the Zone when more counters are created, a second Pool and Zone will be created.

Obviously it sucks compared to the real Warcry, but it would work.

I've been thinking about this game all day, so it must be doing something right.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Kay wrote: »
    Part of the reason I like Eternal so much is that it CAN do stuff that a paper card game can't, and straight up revels in it. Warcry, Echo, retaining buffs between zones (Heeeelllo Haunting Scream) Aegis (much better than Hexproof in some ways, but opinions on that are divided), Warp... all great mechanics. Aegis could easily work in a paper game, though.

Plus, Twinbrood Sauropod is a straight up awesome card, in both limited and (some) constructed decks. Pretty sure that's one of the LSV-designed cards of note.

The difference is that Eternal is using its digital traits, and the word Random far more carefully than Hearthstone, (which shits out RNG to compensate for its primitive mechanics.)

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Ugh, fuck the lolrandom BS in Hearthstone. Sure you have Unstable Form and Equivocate in Eternal, but there's far less here and it's not as dramatic.

Momir is not a format I like, but at least everyone knows what they're getting into if they queue up on MTGO for it.

ew9y0DD.png
    So what play time I have had the past three days has gone into Eternal. I am starting to believe that it is, in fact, a Good Game. A Great Game, even.

I have found my first Eternal card love: Crownwatch Quartermaster.

I was lucky enough to draft him with some Valkyries, and homeboy is doing work.

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    Quartermaster is a goddamn menace in draft.

I haven't had time to do much Ranked play lately, but yesterday I did put together this Chalice list from the RNGEternal tier list: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/SQxHzzh4nRM/tin-cup, because really, is there anything better than beating down AND drawing a million cards at the same time? I say no, there is not. So far it's holding up well in Diamond, and I might like it enough to bother getting Master next week before the month turns over.

• EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    ^ Whelp. Good opportunity for another random Simpson's references I guess ....

LRtYT.jpg
    I really hate both playing and playing against Chalice. I've got a version titled "I Hate Myself" I pull out for the draw 20(?) extra cards daily quest. Thankfully that quest can be done in the gauntlet as to not subject others to my pain.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    edited May 2018
    It's well positioned right now. There's an absolute ton of Praxis Midrange and Praxis Tokens running around, which are both vulnerable to board stalls and harsh rule.

Also I don't get the reference?

Tynnan on
  • EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    Tynnan wrote: »
    It's well positioned right now. There's an absolute ton of Praxis Midrange and Praxis Tokens running around, which are both vulnerable to board stalls and harsh rule.

Also I don't get the reference?

I don't doubt that it's working for you. I just find it a bore on both sides of the table/screen.

Also apologies for the vague reference ...

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
    If being History's Greatest Monster means I get to draw a shitload of cards while swinging with giant 2-3-4 drops then sign me up.

I entered the Empty Throne draft, and soon found myself in Hooru. I had totally forgotten that I had a Hooru quest until it popped up after my first game. Happy coincidence!

In Constructed I'm playing a pretty simple mono red aggro capping out at Flash Fire. I haven't crafted up anything yet simply because I have no clue what I want to play.

I entered the Empty Throne draft, and soon found myself in Hooru. I had totally forgotten that I had a Hooru quest until it popped up after my first game. Happy coincidence!

In Constructed I'm playing a pretty simple mono red aggro capping out at Flash Fire. I haven't crafted up anything yet simply because I have no clue what I want to play.

If you find aggro appealing, there's a really strong Praxis Tokens list running around lately. List here: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/Wx9r8z5M4Jg/fish-tokens

That list uses 4x Heart of the Vault as its only legendary, as well as 2x promo Arcanum Monitors. Those can be substituted for 1 more Rally, 1 more Alluring Ember, and maybe some more Praxis Displacers or some Humbug Swarms if you'd rather not spend the dust on Hearts.

That looks awesome! I had 10K shift saved up, and another 12K will finish that deck up. Thanks for the recommendation!

edited May 2018
    Thinking about it more, I really like Humbug Swarm as a budget option for a finisher in that list.

Tynnan on

If you find aggro appealing, there's a really strong Praxis Tokens list running around lately. List here: https://eternalwarcry.com/decks/details/Wx9r8z5M4Jg/fish-tokens

That list uses 4x Heart of the Vault as its only legendary, as well as 2x promo Arcanum Monitors. Those can be substituted for 1 more Rally, 1 more Alluring Ember, and maybe some more Praxis Displacers or some Humbug Swarms if you'd rather not spend the dust on Hearts.

I finished this deck tonight and took it for a couple of spins. It kinda owns. Thanks again for the recommendation; I love it.

edited May 2018
    I want a card that deletes Shadow decks so card that Blue players noses will BLEED during FNM.

Who the fuck printed Madness....

Cantido on
    that's a red card technically

liEt3nH.png
    that's a red card technically

Every card that makes me want to punch Jace has Shadow in it.

I don't get why you're equating shadow with blue. Blue is bullshit because counterspells are a bad mechanic, shadow doesn't have any of that. Too Many Kill Spells is black and sometimes white.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    I don't get why you're equating shadow with blue. Blue is bullshit because counterspells are a bad mechanic, shadow doesn't have any of that. Too Many Kill Spells is black and sometimes white.

Mill

liEt3nH.png
    edited May 2018
    On the one hand, I am sure many of my recent opponents would have loved to counter that Arcanum Monitor I dropped into my last available board space.

On the other hand, I loved that they could not.

I am conflicted.

R-dem on
    Countermagic in Eternal seems to be deliberately narrow, and there really isn't much in the way of creature-counterspells. That, coupled with the lack of pre-attack interaction from the defending player, gives creatures a lot more utility than they would have in Magic. It's a nice change.

Shadow is most similar to Black in MTG with a splash of blue (mill) and a smidgen of red (threaten).

Then there's Time which is straight up more like Green with the added bonus of Silence and Bounce, which are more blue but sure?

Eternal and Magic are quite different. Shadow is great, though.

ew9y0DD.png
    Yeah, the more I play, the less I want to bust out the "Like Magic, but...!" stamp. I feel like there's enough opportunity for shenanigans, like Madness->Dark Favor or STUN EVERYTHING, to suit all but the worst don't have fun control players, while keeping that crap toned down enough that it doesn't completely oppress everything.

I'd also like to give the game a huge shout out in that in three days of medium level grinding I was able to finish up a solid high level meta deck. Show me another CCG in which that is possible. Huge plus for Eternal right there.

I think I mentioned it before, but I also find the lore and setting satisfying. It'd make a great pen and paper RPG setting.

This one's in contention for best deck I've drafted so far (went 7-1):

cbxitj8o4x0n.jpg

• BreakfastPMBreakfastPM Registered User regular
    First time I've won a draft! (7-2, not pictured is a Praxis Banner)
    rnw0c2r51ma3.png
    nx7l9kbwpwtn.png

• AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    First pack I open in sealed league

MmXk1PI.png

second pack

n6KhUvn.png

LOOKS LIKE RAKANO IS BACK ON THE MENU BOYS

Alegis on
    Rakano Stranger and the 3/3 Flier, too.

ew9y0DD.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    So for my New Month, New Deck crafting I built TJP Midrange.

This deck is absurd. Real good, much more fun (to me) to play than Argen Mid or Skycraggo. It’s been putting up great results in Ranked and it’s CRUSHING gauntlet which is great for grinding gold. Sometimes the mana is a little awkward but dang.

This deck is absurd. Real good, much more fun (to me) to play than Argen Mid or Skycraggo. It’s been putting up great results in Ranked and it’s CRUSHING gauntlet which is great for grinding gold. Sometimes the mana is a little awkward but dang.

Is that like Combrei Monsters + hailstorm and draw?

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular

Is that like Combrei Monsters + hailstorm and draw?

It’s actually base Hooru splashing Time. Plays a little bit like mtg hatebears style decks. Efficient threats that disrupt your opponent. Enforcer, Pacifier and Svetya are your disruptive creatures that are also solid threats and then Student, Kothon, Commando and Rider can just beat face or are super efficient. Add some removal/tempo in Permafrost and Equivocate, then Stand Together as a finishing blow.

Mirror Image is a copy of your best creature, and has a lot of play depending on the situation. Chaining Svetyas is hilarious vs Feln Control for example

4 Finest Hour (Set1 #130)
    2 Permafrost (Set1 #193)
    4 Seek Power (Set1 #408)
    4 Awakened Student (Set1 #331)
    4 Equivocate (Set1003 #21)
    4 Kothon, the Far-Watcher (Set2 #218)
    4 Hooru Pacifier (Set1003 #23)
    4 Mirror Image (Set1 #217)
    4 Stand Together (Set1 #334)
    4 Unseen Commando (Set3 #122)
    4 Valkyrie Enforcer (Set1 #151)
    4 Shelterwing Rider (Set2 #223)
    4 Svetya, Orene of Kosul (Set3 #304)
    1 Time Sigil (Set1 #63)
    5 Justice Sigil (Set1 #126)
    2 Primal Sigil (Set1 #187)
    1 Combrei Banner (Set1 #424)
    4 Seat of Progress (Set0 #58)
    2 Crest of Wisdom (Set3 #261)
    2 Hooru Banner (Set2 #216)
    4 Seat of Order (Set0 #51)
    4 Diplomatic Seal (Set1 #425)

• metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    The new set is introducing a mechanic loosely based on MTG's Wishes (e.g. Living Wish / Burning Wish, etc...), letting you build a special 5-card Singleton Sideboard from which certain cards can "draw":

Let's Make a Deal!, an introduction to Eternal's merchants.

I really like that mechanic. And I also like that, based on how it reads, you can retrieve the card you exchange if it later becomes relevant.

I really like that mechanic. And I also like that, based on how it reads, you can retrieve the card you exchange if it later becomes relevant.

it's confirmed to work that way yeah

also the exchange counts as a "draw" for anything that cares about that like Echo

liEt3nH.png
  • Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    Interesting. So you can swap lands...er, power, from your hand for the cards in your market, right?