As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Agents of SHIELD] Series finale August 12th

• MorganVMorganV Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    skeldare wrote: »
    I don't think anyone knows, even Clark Gregg himself. He at least seems to think he won't be on full time next season.
    I think it's possible, if not probable, that he and Ming-Na might not be in the first couple epidodes. But if so, I'd be surprised if they didn't come back when things invariably go to crap, with a "What the hell is going on around here?", and they finish it out.

But it's also a Whedon show,
    so maybe it's better he DOESN'T come back. He got his happily ever after (even if "ever" is a couple days, maybe a week), and that's basically the best you can expect from a Whedon show. Better that than getting Washed.

Still mad.

MorganV on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    May want to edit that into a spoiler at least @MorganV. Granted it's not a new show, but pretty unconnected (not the same Whedon).

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I know opinions vary on the statute of limitations for spoilers, but that was a pretty vague one for something thirteen years old.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    7y2mbactmdht.jpg

Regarding Coulson, Clark didn't even know. One of his social media posts basically said that he had a meeting with the showrunners coming up on that very subject.

Given the half dozen'ish ways they've brought Ward back, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Coulson showed up again, even if just as a cameo here and there.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    7y2mbactmdht.jpg

Regarding Coulson, Clark didn't even know. One of his social media posts basically said that he had a meeting with the showrunners coming up on that very subject.

Given the half dozen'ish ways they've brought Ward back, I wouldn't at all be surprised if Coulson showed up again, even if just as a cameo here and there.

Considering that he's going to be in Captain Marvel, they may be transitioning him back to the MCU.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    7y2mbactmdht.jpg

Considering that he's going to be in Captain Marvel, they may be transitioning him back to the MCU.

Captain Marvel takes place in the 90s.

reVerse wrote: »
    7y2mbactmdht.jpg

Captain Marvel takes place in the 90s.

I know. And when she returns in 2019, maybe Coulson will be back with her. My point is that Coulson is drawing a paycheck from the movie side of the house again, and maybe that's a sign that the MCU wants to keep him around for the future.

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Gregg can be a regular without being in the present. He himself said that there can always be flashbacks, dream sequences, and the like to keep him around without actually being there.

sig.gif
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    This is a show where they have established time travel, people climbing out of hell dimensions, and LMD's. . .

I am sure they could have him on if they wanted.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    WAIT A DAMN MINUTE

Captain Marvel
    Is going to have Kree characters. And Coulson.

How ironic that he'll spend half a season trying to figure out who the hell random blue Guest Ghouse alien is, when he's quite probably going to run into Kree or Kree-adjacent weirdness like twenty years prior.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    WAIT A DAMN MINUTE

Captain Marvel

How ironic that he'll spend half a season trying to figure out who the hell random blue Guest Ghouse alien is, when he's quite probably going to run into Kree or Kree-adjacent weirdness like twenty years prior.

A (space) wizard did it.

• MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    WAIT A DAMN MINUTE

Captain Marvel

I mean, Coulson was in charge of the Guest House project. They just wiped/overwrote those memories in the hopes of keeping him from going insane and homicidal/suicidal like the rest of the patients they used it on.

Mvrck on
    Mvrck wrote: »
    WAIT A DAMN MINUTE

Captain Marvel

I mean, Coulson was in charge of the Guest House project. They just wiped/overwrote those memories in the hopes of keeping him from going insane and homicidal/suicidal like the rest of the patients they used it on.
    Oh right. Heh.

SteevL wrote: »
    WAIT A DAMN MINUTE

Captain Marvel

A (space) wizard did it.
    I think when it comes to Earth, or maybe just SHIELD, the line should be "A Nick Fury did it."

sig.gif
  • kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Do we know anything about what sort of role he's going to have in the movie?

I tend to assume it won't be huge, but I'm curious if it's "a few scenes" or "5 second cameo so that we can throw a bone to Clark Gregg without putting him in a mainline Avengers film or anything in the present day."

I’m not expecting much beyond what we saw from him in Iron Man. I’d be perfectly happy with more, of course.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Finally saw the last episode.
    The Mac thing was stupid. Super stupid. Like goes against everything they've shown us. Coulson's whole thing was supposed to be the guy who could make tough decisions. Mac is not that at all. It makes no sense that he would be in charge or that Coulson would think he should be in charge. This very season he's shown that his decisions are based entirely around his faith.
    Like just... what were the writers thinking? It makes no damn sense at all.

DemonStacey on
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    The Mac thing was stupid. Super stupid. Like goes against everything they've shown us. Coulson's whole thing was supposed to be the guy who could make tough decisions. Mac is not that at all. It makes no sense that he would be in charge or that Coulson would think he should be in charge. This very season he's shown that his decisions are based entirely around his faith.

Disagree.
    Remember, it was Daisy's choice, not Coulson's. By that time, Coulson has basically checked out, and just wants to be a useful component to the team before he dies. He endorsed Daisy's decision both because he respected her for realizing she wasn't cut out for the position, and because Mack was one of the two choices that would've made sense in the context of what was going on (the other being Simmons). I mean:

May's a soldier, and doesn't want to lead... she always wants to be kicking ass on the front lines
    Yo-Yo was the catalyst for most of the group's drama at the end
    Fitz violated Daisy, so she definitely wasn't going to choose him

So, you're left with Simmons, who has never been in a position of leadership, and Mack, who has, and did... okay. Not great, but good enough to have the respect of his peers, and the ability to properly delegate tasks.

Regarding Mack himself, the entirety of his character is that he hates the science fiction shit. Aliens, time travel, illusory worlds... when things get weird, he retreats back to his comfort zone, which is a combination of fixing things, kicking ass, and generally trying to stay out of the way of things he doesn't understand as much as he can.

His decisions weren't just a matter of faith and, really, I'm not convinced that he actually thought that things would turn out okay... it felt like he thought the safe way to proceed was to try to distance himself and his comrades from anything having to do with the destruction of the earth, which is perfectly in character because, again, he hates the science fiction shit. But throughout the whole thing, he was the only one who really tried to keep the ideals of SHIELD in place. And I think that's what motivated him the most - the combination of wanting to keep everyone safe, while actually living up to the ideals they all purportedly claim to have.

So, in that respect, he is the heart of the team. He didn't keep secrets from them. He didn't torture/violate anyone. He didn't lock up anyone who didn't deserve to be locked up. He always tried to do the right thing, not the expedient thing. Which is the entire point.

The second there was a choice to be made re: leadership of the group, I was about 80% sure it was going to be him, because of everything I wrote above. It makes a lot of sense, IMO.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Nightslyr wrote: »

Disagree.
    Remember, it was Daisy's choice, not Coulson's. By that time, Coulson has basically checked out, and just wants to be a useful component to the team before he dies. He endorsed Daisy's decision both because he respected her for realizing she wasn't cut out for the position, and because Mack was one of the two choices that would've made sense in the context of what was going on (the other being Simmons). I mean:

May's a soldier, and doesn't want to lead... she always wants to be kicking ass on the front lines
    Yo-Yo was the catalyst for most of the group's drama at the end
    Fitz violated Daisy, so she definitely wasn't going to choose him

So, you're left with Simmons, who has never been in a position of leadership, and Mack, who has, and did... okay. Not great, but good enough to have the respect of his peers, and the ability to properly delegate tasks.

Regarding Mack himself, the entirety of his character is that he hates the science fiction shit. Aliens, time travel, illusory worlds... when things get weird, he retreats back to his comfort zone, which is a combination of fixing things, kicking ass, and generally trying to stay out of the way of things he doesn't understand as much as he can.

His decisions weren't just a matter of faith and, really, I'm not convinced that he actually thought that things would turn out okay... it felt like he thought the safe way to proceed was to try to distance himself and his comrades from anything having to do with the destruction of the earth, which is perfectly in character because, again, he hates the science fiction shit. But throughout the whole thing, he was the only one who really tried to keep the ideals of SHIELD in place. And I think that's what motivated him the most - the combination of wanting to keep everyone safe, while actually living up to the ideals they all purportedly claim to have.

So, in that respect, he is the heart of the team. He didn't keep secrets from them. He didn't torture/violate anyone. He didn't lock up anyone who didn't deserve to be locked up. He always tried to do the right thing, not the expedient thing. Which is the entire point.

The second there was a choice to be made re: leadership of the group, I was about 80% sure it was going to be him, because of everything I wrote above. It makes a lot of sense, IMO.
    I know it was Daisy's choice but Coulson seemed way too OK with it all considering.

"His decisions weren't just a matter of faith" According to him they are though. He said that's all you need to know what to do. His decisions are directly based on his faith. He even said that they would be judged when they got upstairs or whatever. And he says those things regardless of what the people around him believe. It doesn't matter if the other people have faith, he does and he's willing to make decisions for other people based on that which is a terrible quality for a leader. He fits well using that to be the team's moral barometer for sure. But when those ideals are put in charge of all the decisions, that's a terrible leader.

He's also made it clear that due to his faith he believes there is 100% never a situation to kill someone. So he'd let the entire world die over one life because he believes in the end they'll go on to the afterlife so it's the right choice... not good leader material. Side note to that, if I'm not mistaken he seems to not hold true to this belief for aliens? I'm trying to remember because I actually am not sure but he wasn't against alien folk getting killed the way he is humans which would be incredibly hypocritical and awful but that's a whole different convo.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    RE: not killing anyone
    His faith is likely reinforced by the fact that SHIELD - even slightly better than the A-Team, hiding in a lighthouse SHIELD - has the training, teamwork, and tech where killing really isn't something that needs to be done in the vast majority of cases. I mean, they invented the Icers specifically because it was a lot better - both in terms of intelligence gathering and ethics - to simply knock someone out rather than blasting a kneecap or two.

Moreover, Hydra-as-SHIELD, plus the version in the Framework, both used excessive force as a way to expedite things, mostly through fear. His larger point is that the good guy version of SHIELD really has no need to kill anyone. That they're capable at operating at a higher ethical standard, usually with little extra effort.

Of course, Daisy (presumably) killing Talbot in self-defense goes against his beliefs. As it should. And it's a good place for future drama. I welcome it.

I highly doubt that Mack will remain director for long. He did it once before, and didn't do well. Plus, I doubt he'll want to keep the job anyway. This was likely a temporary move to get everyone on the same page for the final fight given that he was the only one open and honest with everyone through the entire ordeal. Almost everyone else (except May, and she'd never accept a leadership role) kept important information to themselves, or intentionally harmed another teammate, or conspired against other teammates. He was the only logical choice at that moment.

For my money, I have no problem with the (likely temporary) leader of the group at least attempting to set a better example. I'm tired of shows filled with anti-heroes and assholes all convoluted into making 'tough decisions'. I also have no problem with a character of faith acting according to that faith, and I'm a pretty staunch atheist. It's a potentially great way to generate drama that can actually be about more than the typical heroic sacrifice.

Just realized something with Talbot:
    His dead body is still infused with gravitonium, right? That could easily become a plot point in later episodes where someone, alien or otherwise, finds his body and taps into it somehow. But maybe they'll just leave that alone and move onto something new.

That being said, I'm sad they had to kill him off. He was a fun character.

His dead body is still infused with gravitonium, right? That could easily become a plot point in later episodes where someone, alien or otherwise, finds his body and taps into it somehow. But maybe they'll just leave that alone and move onto something new.

He absorbed an alien and Carl Creel.
    I'm not so sure he's dead.

True.
    They sure made it look like he was dead, but he could easily just be frozen.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have no idea if stellar physics works this way but I just figured
    he probably flew into the sun eventually. Which, erm, might also be a problem. But I also wouldn't rule out him showing up again, or his body being in space (with the others) having repercussions.

But if the next season 6 ends up being the finale, I also wouldn't be surprised if it was either ignored or given only a passing reference.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    he probably flew into the sun eventually. Which, erm, might also be a problem. But I also wouldn't rule out him showing up again, or his body being in space (with the others) having repercussions.

But if the next season 6 ends up being the finale, I also wouldn't be surprised if it was either ignored or given only a passing reference.
    They do not. Actually, what almost assuredly happened was he would eventually re-enter and burn up within Earth's atmosphere. It is extremely unlikely Daisy generated enough force for him to hit escape velocity.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular

He specifically said (in a previous episode)
    That he needed the Quinjet for the life support.

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular

He specifically said (in a previous episode)
    That he needed the Quinjet for the life support.
    True, but who's to say he really understood his capabilities at that point?

• kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Okay, finally putting together my thoughts on the finale and the season as a whole.

Finale/Infinity War
    Okay, I can understand not doing dropping the Infinity War thing at the end, but I can't pretend I'm not a bit disappointed. But, unless the resolution in Avengers 4 involves no one remembering any of it, I'm gonna be super disappointed if it doesn't play into the beginning of next season.

I'd started wondering if they would bring things full circle with Tahiti and I was really happy that's exactly what they did.

More thoughts about Talbot below, but I enjoyed the confrontation and fight. I liked that Daisy's speech maybe could've worked if Talbot's head hadn't been so screwed up by Hydra. The fight was decent. I'm pretty much perpetually hoping, in all genre/action shows, for action sequences to be as cinematic as they can manage on their budget. I really dig the slow motion sequence where Talbot is about to absorb Daisy and we see all the shots of other characters dealing with stuff.

Overall Season
    I'm still figuring out how I felt about the season as a whole. I can say pretty certainly that I didn't think it was as strong as Season 4, and maybe not Season 3. I'm just not sure that it ever really "popped" the way those seasons did. Last season especially. I thought the Ghost Rider arc was pretty meh but once the LMD arc got going things really came together and more and more episodes made me go "oh wow that was awesome." I'm not sure what it was but this season just didn't quite manage that.

Maybe it feels like the execution and writing just wasn't as smooth? Like the MODOK thing where they didn't do a great job of showing why that was the end of him. Or how the Kree kind of had to get de-buffed a bit so that humans like Mack could get into fights with them without getting totally broken. Or how there's very little discussion about the fact that the agents accomplishing their goal and changing the future almost certainly means Deke (and Tess and Flint, et al) ceasing to exist.

There's also the infighting among the team. I honestly think that most shows should avoid those kinds of storylines because it seems so difficult to pull off successfully, and without at least one or two characters coming out worse for it. Arrow suffered hugely from that this season. I actually think AoS did a...somewhat decent job managing it, but they still struggled somewhat with characters like Mack and Yo-Yo, who were pushed to opposite ends of the argument.

I do want to say that I think Natalia Cordova-Buckley did a great job. The argument scene in the finale where she's sort of losing it about how the rest them are treating her like "the bad guy" in regards to Coulson was actually pretty good, and she really sold the fear and desperation that had built up in Yo-Yo. I think her arc though is another spot where the writing kind of let things down a little, in that (IIRC) they didn't really let Yo-Yo do much to actually explain to the others why she was so personally terrified of everything that was happening.

Talbot. I have really mixed feelings here. I love that he played a major role in the season, because he's the kind of character who sort of worked his way up to that position. And I'm a big fan of his arc over the course of the series...but I'm not sure I like where it (has thus far) ended. But I can't quite decide whether I genuinely don't like it from a writing perspective or if it just bums me out seeing Talbot come so far only to fairly quickly slip into being a supervillain. I mean it all kind of makes sense given what happened to him. But a big part of me is still hoping that they find a way to save him next season.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

They do not. Actually, what almost assuredly happened was he would eventually re-enter and burn up within Earth's atmosphere. It is extremely unlikely Daisy generated enough force for him to hit escape velocity.
    I wonder if someone somewhere has calculated his apparent velocity by counting how many frames it took him to traverse the building.

steam_sig.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular

I wonder if someone somewhere has calculated his apparent velocity by counting how many frames it took him to traverse the building.
    Would need to know how tall the building was.

Hm. Hmmm.

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »

Would need to know how tall the building was.

Hm. Hmmm.

That was Chicago right? If it's a known building it could be looked up. If it's a CG stand-in then it could be inferred by the number of stories based on window borders.

steam_sig.png
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Okay, finally putting together my thoughts on the finale and the season as a whole.

Finale/Infinity War
    Okay, I can understand not doing dropping the Infinity War thing at the end, but I can't pretend I'm not a bit disappointed. But, unless the resolution in Avengers 4 involves no one remembering any of it, I'm gonna be super disappointed if it doesn't play into the beginning of next season.

I'd started wondering if they would bring things full circle with Tahiti and I was really happy that's exactly what they did.

More thoughts about Talbot below, but I enjoyed the confrontation and fight. I liked that Daisy's speech maybe could've worked if Talbot's head hadn't been so screwed up by Hydra. The fight was decent. I'm pretty much perpetually hoping, in all genre/action shows, for action sequences to be as cinematic as they can manage on their budget. I really dig the slow motion sequence where Talbot is about to absorb Daisy and we see all the shots of other characters dealing with stuff.

Overall Season
    I'm still figuring out how I felt about the season as a whole. I can say pretty certainly that I didn't think it was as strong as Season 4, and maybe not Season 3. I'm just not sure that it ever really "popped" the way those seasons did. Last season especially. I thought the Ghost Rider arc was pretty meh but once the LMD arc got going things really came together and more and more episodes made me go "oh wow that was awesome." I'm not sure what it was but this season just didn't quite manage that.

Maybe it feels like the execution and writing just wasn't as smooth? Like the MODOK thing where they didn't do a great job of showing why that was the end of him. Or how the Kree kind of had to get de-buffed a bit so that humans like Mack could get into fights with them without getting totally broken. Or how there's very little discussion about the fact that the agents accomplishing their goal and changing the future almost certainly means Deke (and Tess and Flint, et al) ceasing to exist.

There's also the infighting among the team. I honestly think that most shows should avoid those kinds of storylines because it seems so difficult to pull off successfully, and without at least one or two characters coming out worse for it. Arrow suffered hugely from that this season. I actually think AoS did a...somewhat decent job managing it, but they still struggled somewhat with characters like Mack and Yo-Yo, who were pushed to opposite ends of the argument.

I do want to say that I think Natalia Cordova-Buckley did a great job. The argument scene in the finale where she's sort of losing it about how the rest them are treating her like "the bad guy" in regards to Coulson was actually pretty good, and she really sold the fear and desperation that had built up in Yo-Yo. I think her arc though is another spot where the writing kind of let things down a little, in that (IIRC) they didn't really let Yo-Yo do much to actually explain to the others why she was so personally terrified of everything that was happening.

Talbot. I have really mixed feelings here. I love that he played a major role in the season, because he's the kind of character who sort of worked his way up to that position. And I'm a big fan of his arc over the course of the series...but I'm not sure I like where it (has thus far) ended. But I can't quite decide whether I genuinely don't like it from a writing perspective or if it just bums me out seeing Talbot come so far only to fairly quickly slip into being a supervillain. I mean it all kind of makes sense given what happened to him. But a big part of me is still hoping that they find a way to save him next season.

I've been wondering for awhile if the show was developing the idea that the heroes have gotten a little too friendly with murdering their problems away. There are definitely subplots and dialogue that hint at an awareness of this, but they've never really developing it.

Maybe an antagonist who isn't actually evil where the team goes in hard and starts to realize that maybe they are the bad guys in the scenario. Someone like Jimmy Woo and the Agents of Atlas.

You can't talk non boring problems away, sadly. So they make axe shotguns even if they say boo hoo.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I'm going to admit something here...I only watched the last two seasons when I heard that season 5 had a 100% on RT.

And I'm glad I did.

The acting was straight up fantastic. The actors were into it and it showed on screen. Man, Henstridge and Caestecker had me riveted...and crying...a lot.

The characters got not a single break! Straight from one fuckery to another.
    Mack losing his little girl in the Framework had me inconfuckingsolable. My 16 year old daughter sat there and we yelled at YoYo every time she told Mack his daughter wasn't real. She was real there YoYo, you asshole! I wouldn't have wanted to leave either.

Time loop shens not withstanding, I thoroughly enjoyed this season and the previous one as well and I am looking forward to next season almost, ALMOST as much as I am the final season of GoT.
    And this is despite my complete fucking hatred for the glaring lack of crossover from the films and TV shows in the MCU. Like intense hatred...

Yeah, SHIELD only gets references, not actual crossovers. I guess Fury showing up a few times does technically count as a crossover, but nothing beyond that.

sig.gif
    That was before the show was clearly not going to live up to their hopes and dreams. They gave up on that now.

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Hey, Sif popped in a couple of times too!

But yeah, that was all long ago.

Even a SHIELD / Netflix crossover would be great, since Quake and Daredevil spent time at the same orphanage (though maybe don't mention Creel to him).

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
  • ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    I saw this quote from Jed Whedon on crossover ties from other shows/movies:

"The overt ties were a necessity of starting out, but those have faded over time, basically because we have our own mythology. That started to be much more interesting to us, and hopefully to the audience, just digging that stuff up. No one wants to come to see our show to see another show. Now they want to see our show, which, yay.”

Emphasis mine and to that I say: yes...yes we fucking do.

I feel like they don't understand what it is that fans (I) want: Jessica Jones having a chat with Quake. Daredevil meeting Spider-Man. Yo-Yo having a philosophical difference with Black Widow.

I want interaction and after all that we got in IW it pains me greatly (read pisses me off) when I read quotes like the one above from show runners.

So yes, Jed, I actually do want to come see your show so I can see other shows...you out of touch asshole.

• ThisThis Registered User regular
    I don't know how much of that is just post-hoc bullshitting to cover the fact that Marvel Studios couldn't give less of a shit about them.

It's all bullshit unless he truly is that out of touch and up his own ass. Maybe both, actually!