As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Quick Sata Cable Question

I've built a ton of computers in my life but I haven't built one in a couple years. I have never seen a bad Sata cable.

About a year ago I ordered a cheap cheap cheap dvd rw for my pc. 16bucks. I hooked it up and it didn't work and I said "oh well, nothing ventured nothing gained" and didn't think about it again.

Recently I ran out of space on my hard drive and ordered a new ssd for it. It came without a Sata cable so I stole the one I had on the DVD and hooked it up. Formated it assigned it a drive letter and loaded a game on it. I played the game awhile and then did other things. I went back to it about 2 hours later and the drive is unreadable and gives me an i/o error.

1) Ever seen a bad SATA cable? I could have a bad DVD drive and a bad SSD but i find it unlikely.

2) The SATA cable i am using came with something I purchased ages ago. Do I need a different cable for SATA III? As far as I can tell I don't but some cables transfer data faster than others?

I'll probably end up either stopping at Bestbuy on the way home and paying too much for a cable or ordering one online to test I was just curious if anyone had seen a bad SATA cable before or if I should likely start the ssd rma process.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I honestly don't know if it is a thing any more, as I haven't seen a busted SATA cable in a long time.

But def back in the early 2000s when we were seeing things transition into SATA from IDE, SATA cables were super fragile. Any crimp or severe bend and the cable would just stop working.

• Options
    RiboflavinRiboflavin Registered User regular
    Thanks. And for the one person that viewed this thread it was the cable. I replaced the cable and haven't had trouble since. And I am an idiot because I've had a working dvd/rw for a year that I thought was broken. Waaaaaaaayyyyy long ago I had an IDE cable that must have been broken inside the insulation and made intermittent connections. I had just never seen that in modern cables.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    yea, cables don't often break, but they can. I always find that hard to troubleshoot.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar