As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West Challenge Coin 2018 (updated July 10th, 2018 with Order Form)

Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/DeveloperMontreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
edited July 2018 in PAX West

APRIL 7TH, 2018
Hello kind people of the Penny Arcade Forum. It's your good pal, Nfan10039 here once again with some exciting news.

I know it's a little early this year, and that PAX East is still happening, but the form for PAX West 2018 is live. Since it's up early, I thought we could have more time for ideas so that we can have the best ideas come around for this year's coin. As always, this form allows for multiple submits, so don't be afraid to post more than one idea. There is also a slot to insert your username if you so wish. I'm not quite living in Seattle yet, and may not even move there at all. Life is a fickle pickle. Anyways the link for the new suggestion form is https://goo.gl/forms/AZVWegb7C6PkuB5D2. Also, I've come down with a case of strep throat, which I am taking penicillin for. So, until next time, enjoy PAX East and stay healthy.

APRIL 21ST, 2018
Hello once again fine people of the PAX Forum. Nfan10039 here once again with some challenge coin news.

The ideas form had 14 responses from all of you, but some of you submitted more than 1 idea with your one response. We ended up with 16 gaming related ideas and 17 ideas for the Seattle area side. The voting phase is now done.
So if you guys have not done a challenge coin yet, you might be asking yourself what comes next? Well, now it's time to vote on which imagery you'd like for each side of the coin. I have made the selection process more fun by allowing you to select up to three choices, since most of you will be most likely voting for your own. We had some great ideas, so please take your time as only the top three from each section will be making the final cut. I have also made it so that only one response is allowed from each person, so no silly business. The link to the form is located here. So last time I told you about my strep throat, which has disappeared thankfully. However, spring allergies are here now, so it's like only my sore throat went away... How exciting is it that PAX West tickets will be on sale soon! Make sure to set your notifications up and stuff. I know I'm hella looking forward to it this year! :biggrin:

MAY 7TH, 2018
Hello. Sorry I didn't get around to updating this on the weekend. Infinity War happened, and by the time I got home it was 3AM. None of my friends showed up, so I'm going to be in an awful mood this week. I'm even thinking of unfriending most of them. I always expect the best if no one responds, so I have to change my way of thinking again slightly. People make me so mad sometimes.

Anyways, enough about my personal life and on with the Challenge Coins. Voting period 1 is now closed. Again, I wish to thank everyone for participating in the first voting round. We ended up with 30 responses, and had a tie for the gaming side of the coin, so we will be having four selections possible for the final round of voting. The Seattle side had three stand out winners and will be moving on to finals. (Then Grands, then Grand Finals, then Grand Final Finals. LOL :P (Those are not actual rounds of voting in case you thought I was serious.)) Lastly, since this is the final round of voting, there are a few more things to pick including the finish of the coin and size of the coin. Only the top selection from all areas will be in the final product of the coin.....so take your time in making the choices. I'm limiting responses to only one per email address(and please don't make more email addresses, just so you can vote more times). Have a great couple of weeks and this voting form will close on May 19th(2 weeks from when I was supposed to close the first one). The form is located HERE(CLICK HERE)

MAY 20TH, 2018
Hello everyone who is viewing this thread. I am here to announce that voting closed late last night and that work has begun on the design process of the coins. I'm hoping to finish the first draft on Monday. Ever since 2016, the coins can come in either color or normal and I'm glad to announce that this will be returning for this year. Once you folks are happy with the coin design, the order form will be going up and the design sent in to Kiddercorp (the company that produces the challenge coins). Here's hoping that I was early enough this year, so that everyone can have their challenge coins in hand before PAX West is here. Also, there will be an option to pick them up in Seattle. Stay tuned for the design coming to you very soon. Thread will be updated with a new title when first draft hits.

MAY 21ST, 2018
Here are the first drafts for both the gaming and Seattle side for the coin. I think they out fairly nicely, but I'm always open to comments and suggestions. I'm not sure why the image sizes aren't the same, but I don't believe that it should matter too much when they hit production.
2vm4a022ly3t.png
ehpcpy7ri8ek.png

MAY 29TH, 2018
[img][/img]u1kyfnjwaswq.png

MAY 30TH, 2018

Well, this is option 3 of the gaming side. I think everyone here is in agreement that SkeleVader's Pink Elephant works best. I'll give the lovely people here a chance to give some suggestions, and then I will open one last set of votes after E3 which will run for a week. This vote will determine which design the community members want for the coin this year. This also means that all designs are final unless someone brings up a valid argument as to something that should be changed.
jg790doep8c3.png

JUNE 15TH, 2018

Greetings everyone! I hope all of you are doing well and enjoyed E3. I'm a little sad that basically all that was at Nintendo's E3 was Smash. However, it looks to be like the ULTIMATE (pun intended) version.

As promised, here is the link to the gaming side art voting form. https://goo.gl/forms/ecCzuRM82cLaTt8r2 For all of you who don't or can't read this, a link will also be posted on the first post. I look forward to seeing your response and finally getting this to the coin makers. Have a great week! :)

JUNE 27TH, 2018

Hello everyone,
Gaming side has been decided and changes have been made. I only have Friday night if any changes are to be made.

Here is the design:
2tel5mritre2.png

Thank you for your patience.

JULY 10TH, 2018

Hello once again. Thought it was about time that the order form went up, so here it is. If you have any questions about the order form, please send me a Private message.

The order form can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/yXDzlsdTl8sIQn7w1

I look forward to seeing you folks at PAX West 2018! Only 52 days, 2 hours, 40 minutes, and 45 seconds to go!

ajor19ru24j1.png
Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
Nfan10039 on

• IncarnadineIncarnadine Registered User regular
    Earlier is better. It gives us more time to work with. Thanks again for doing this!

• ImZelkovaImZelkova Registered User regular
    Submitted :D I used the wrong username though.

Thanks for starting this early!

d2kwAWv.png
  • PchoPcho Enforcer Pcho New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Would like to be kept in the loop! Just got my East ones!

PAXAnimeCTconFanExpoRenewDHAtlantaAnaheimLeakycon
    o8VqzID.png
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Pcho wrote: »
    Would like to be kept in the loop! Just got my East ones!

Of course you can be kept in the loop. That's what this thread post is all about! :)

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Can we get an update on the suggestions and start voting? I know it is April, but there really is not much time to hash out teh design and get it made. I would really like to have the coin for PAX this year.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    Can we get an update on the suggestions and start voting? I know it is April, but there really is not much time to hash out teh design and get it made. I would really like to have the coin for PAX this year.

Absolutely. Look forward to an update this weekend. My hope is to get the final design done by end of May/beginning of June.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Voting phase 1 is now open. Ideas are closed. FYI

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    These suggestions are awesome. Shout outs to the C Team reference ;)

• SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I will vote for the Pink Elephant sign every time.

• I3izzyI3izzy Nonofficial member of the F5 brigade FG, ORRegistered User regular
    Voted. Thanks again Nfan

ZYseqtZ.png
  • anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    Vote done! :)

5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Voted!

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    Where is the vote link? I do not see it am I blind?

NVM: I found it lol (I was blind!)

Bluemeane on
    jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
    My vote is completely for phase 2!!

o8VqzID.png
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I for one endorse this endeavour :)

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    kropotkin wrote: »
    I for one endorse this endeavour :)

Good to see you again @kropotkin !

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
    Last round of voting is now opened. Please see first post for link and ramblings.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    DONE!! ^_^

o8VqzID.png
  • BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    What have the options for the coins been the last few years? I wish the last years were on there lol (So we could just pick what was the same lol)

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
    Any one have a picture of past coins?

o8VqzID.png
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Bluemeane wrote: »
    What have the options for the coins been the last few years? I wish the last years were on there lol (So we could just pick what was the same lol)
    Pcho wrote: »
    Any one have a picture of past coins?

Past coins can be found in our community Wiki: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/PAX_Challenge_Coin some images might have errors, but you can find the links to past threads there too.

Coins have almost always been 1.75" and West uses the Antique Bronze finish. (One coin was 2" and silver).

IhtGIyi.png
    My 2012 coin seems to have gone walkies, but here are the other Prime/West coins from 2011 on.

Seattle Side:
    20180507_155045.jpg

Gaming Side:
    20180507_155006.jpg

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    Pretty disappointed with the top 4 gaming side options.
    Cant say im surprised though. So much battle royale hype this year...

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
    edited May 2018
    7rgm4xyx9pa4.png
    1gg13zj6nyzl.png

This will also be put in the first post in case you wish to see it there. All in all, I think the design turned out fairly well. Let me know if you have any suggestions/comments about these. Not sure why the pictures aren't the same size.

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png
    Niceeeee

o8VqzID.png
    Here was my mock up for the pink elephant from a few years back:
    OmrKsrY.png

I liked that it popped out a bit and gave the image some depth.

IhtGIyi.png
  • SkeloticSkelotic Registered User regular
    I have to say I like the depth that adds. East this year had a T-Rex with a similar effect and it turned out great:

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/215727/2018-east-challenge-coin-shipping-eta-31st-of-may/p1

jokfidrftcm4.png

• DrewsGFXDrewsGFX Registered User regular
    Hey, I really liked the coin mock-up and just wanted to make a maybe bit of a different version. Don't mean to steal any thunder by any means, just wanted to play with the design a bit.

94ji7eu8pdw4.png

With you folks doing my job for me, it's like I'm no longer needed. JK.

I absolutely love your mock-ups which put my work to shame. The Pink Elephant standing out from the center of the coin makes it extra special, and the gaming side looks less cluttered than what I have currently. Let's keep these ideas flowing and I'll make any changes that I think are needed/wanted. Thanks for helping with the design process :+1:

ajor19ru24j1.png
    I know we have been doing this as a community for a while, but we probably don't want to just copy a bunch of logos. When we first started this, Pax was OK with us using the Logo as long as we gave the coins away for free, which we would not be able to do. We could revisit this and ask if things have changed, but I think it would be a better idea to come up with our own "Achievement unlocked" design.

IhtGIyi.png
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    I know we have been doing this as a community for a while, but we probably don't want to just copy a bunch of logos. When we first started this, Pax was OK with us using the Logo as long as we gave the coins away for free, which we would not be able to do. We could revisit this and ask if things have changed, but I think it would be a better idea to come up with our own "Achievement unlocked" design.

Good to know SkeleVader. I wasn't sure what the deal is/was with logos and registered trademarks. I shall come up with a new achievement unlocked design and get rid of the logos surrounding the image. It's too bad we can't incorporate the logos that make PAX what it is for lots of us, although it is understandable.

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    Would badge flair icons work instead as a "Paxchievement"?

Would badge flair icons work instead as a "Paxchievement"?

I don't see a problem with that. However, I did some thinking and may have come up with a redesign. Keep sending me ideas though, and I'll see what I can do to make them to fruition.

ajor19ru24j1.png
    I must say I like the draft of the gaming side, wasnt in my 3 picks for what to put on the gaming side but I personally like it more than the battle royale idea!

As for the Seattle side, I like the "angled" elephant. I agree it gives more depth to the image.

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
    edited May 2018
    apowudplctwm.png

This is round 2 of the coin. This trophy is not doing so well. It looks okay, but I know that we can do better as a forum. I was great at this when it was just getting images and cropping them to fit the coin. I'm just learning the ins and outs of Photoshop, but this doesn't look great (Unless you guys think so). My friend thought it looked like a kindergartner drew it. LOL. I am turning to you folks for help. I would like a trophy design that will be featured for the gaming side of the coin. I wanted something that would symbolize PAX as a whole. Something that represents video/computer games, the board games, and the food. Although any design thought up by you fine folks would be great. I thought I could get this done by E3, but that prospect is looking less likely now. Hopefully, we can get some designs together by end of June.

I'm sorry to be turning to you forum members, but I don't know the first thing about making great art in Photoshop. :'(

I will also try IncreaseBlue's idea of using the badge flair icons as the trophy and see if that works bettter....

Nfan10039 on
    ajor19ru24j1.png
    Ohhhh !!

o8VqzID.png
    Well, this is option 3 of the gaming side. I think everyone here is in agreement that SkeleVader's Pink Elephant works best. I'll give the lovely people here a chance to give some suggestions, and then I will open one last set of votes after E3 which will run for a week. This vote will determine which design the community members want for the coin this year. This also means that all designs are final unless someone brings up a valid argument as to something that should be changed.
    jg790doep8c3.png

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just my two cents, I'm in no position to judge or criticize cuz I don't have any better ideas myself.

personally it looks a little bit too simple. Maybe some more color? Or maybe more objects in general?

Again I would like to emphasize I'm in no position to criticize. Just totally a matter of personal opinion.

Shinji

o8VqzID.png
    I will try and come up with something over the weekend to throw my hat in the design as well.

IhtGIyi.png
    I don't have an idea for the gaming side, I'm not that clever. But as people are thinking of ideas, could you also think about that not everyone wants coins with color on them? Thus far, all of my coins are just the metal and, if possible, I would really like to keep it that way.

PAX_Badge_Sig.png