As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Which, I should note, was the very first post, answering: "Unicorn. Why?"

We knew it was coming. :D Yay!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Not a new card, but a full reveal:

usdTvgA.png

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Top 4'd the San Francisco kotei this weekend! Played Crab/ Scorpion splash. Lost in semifinals to eventual winner who was on Crab/Unicorn.

• Options
    I played in my first tourney (as opposed to organizing it). I went 0-3, which is what I was expecting given my limited higher level play. First match was against Crane, second was against Scorpion, third was against Unicorn/scorpion.

All three were dishonor losses for me, being too aggressive with my honor.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    ...And that's not what I was expecting to be announced today.

Scorpion Clan Pack: Underhand of the Emperor. Slated for a October release.

Whispers of Shadow and Steel, the Scorpion book.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    ...And that's not what I was expecting to be announced today.

Scorpion Clan Pack: Underhand of the Emperor.

Whispers of Shadow and Steel, the Scorpion book.

This seems like a bizarre decision. Either this pushes Scorpion to dominate again or none of these cards get played as they are worse than what they already have.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but ...
    - FFG still struggles with things needing to be printed reasonably far out from release
    - Scorpion is a very popular clan
    Therefore ... this is probably more about printing money and entertaining a larger percentage of the player base than something grounded in expected design VS competitive performance/balance

• Options
    edited May 2018
    On a positive note, I like that the book is going to be Yojiro-focused. I always respected that fellow (only one of the very few Scorpion characters I could say that about), especially with his whole "eff it, if no one's going to believe what I say, I'm just going to always tell the truth" creed.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Wow. Super situational one-shot protection to give you JUST that last little squeeze of effort.

• Options
    Oh god, could you imagine the reaction someone would give if they were going to play Duty to save themselves, but it got cancelled?

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Oh god, could you imagine the reaction someone would give if they were going to play Duty to save themselves, but it got cancelled?

You know the exact timing of interrupts is gonna be vital for that. Can you cancel a cancel?

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »

You know the exact timing of interrupts is gonna be vital for that. Can you cancel a cancel?

Yup.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Oh hey, so apparently GTM had a article about the upcoming cycle... And there were some cards shown there. (Overlapping so you couldn't see the full text...)
    OH HI UNICORN-AFFILIATED NAGA YES FUCKING PLEASE

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    And apparently Brad is at the UK Games Expo, and previewed a bunch of Unicorn cards.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    I made the cut at the Grand Kotei with Crab. Didn't play the cut as I'd also made the cut in Netrunner.
    Game was super fun.

• Options
    Cerberus wrote: »
    I made the cut at the Grand Kotei with Crab. Didn't play the cut as I'd also made the cut in Netrunner.
    Game was super fun.

Nice! Can you post your deck list and strategy?

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
  • Options
    Article just went up with previews of the first pack of Elements. Also has a preview of the new Lion stronghold that's in it.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/6/breath-of-the-kami/

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    So the new rumored Unicorn stronghold is a actually a Lion stronghold. Oh well, back to the binder Unicorn, you were almost playable.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    So the new rumored Unicorn stronghold is a actually a Lion stronghold. Oh well, back to the binder Unicorn, you were almost playable.

Spoilers aren't allowed in the main sources of my info, but I think someone mentioned that the Unicorn one is going to be similar, just with a caveat that if you have more units than your opponent or something - as opposed to +5 mil strength.

• Options
    Athenor wrote: »
    HamHamJ wrote: »

Spoilers aren't allowed in the main sources of my info, but I think someone mentioned that the Unicorn one is going to be similar, just with a caveat that if you have more units than your opponent or something - as opposed to +5 mil strength.

That would be weird if they released two new strongholds with such similar mechanics.

• Options
    Also that Crane attachment is bonkers good.

• Options
    Also that Crane attachment is bonkers good.

It can't copy the Let Go that kills it, so probably not.

• Options
    Then they're not using let go on other good attachments, like Cloud the Mind? Or anything splashed for, like Reprieve? Also that's a more valid complaint pre-RL, but now splashing Dragon will be a lot less common.

• Options
    Right now my focus is on the news about Netrunner, but what's going on does shed some light on why the new LCG Designer Journal series was started.

I haven't read it yet, but this article does have some things about L5R in it.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/8/state-of-the-lcg/

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Oh hey, there's the announcement for the final version of the core RPG book. As well as the dice pack and GM's kit.

Q3... so that's totally a GenCon launch, right?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Oh hey, there's the announcement for the final version of the core RPG book. As well as the dice pack and GM's kit.

Q3... so that's totally a GenCon launch, right?

Undoubtedly so. I was expecting that ever since the beta.

• Options
    edited June 2018

Pack 2 preview article up. Oh look, a bunch of Shadowlands and maho showing up at the same time as Kuni Yori? COLOR ME SHOCKED.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Pack 2 preview article up. Oh look, a bunch of Shadowlands and maho showing up at the same time as Kuni Yori? COLOR ME SHOCKED.
    Excited to see Yori! I think he'll be good for a while. The maho/Shadowlands stuff actually seems more interesting to me as a splash outside of Crab. A more aggressive, province-breaking Scorpion deck would probably like them.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Stream just started too talking about the Elemental Cycle.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    6'th Ring has a preview, Unicorn Event: Unleash the Djinn

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Combine that with Force of the River - oh hey I now have up to 12/12 of stats in the conflict, plus maybe whatever was already in there.

• Options
    Another 6'th Ring preview: Unicorn Character: Minami Kaze Regulars

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Couple of Lion previews today from the Imperial Advisor.

Matsu Seventh Legion
    Even the Odds.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    Monk deck is happening!

• Options
    Pack 3 article is up: The Fires Within.

Also the goddamn ninjas are at it again, and there's two Scorpion previews in the previous Breath of the Kami article: Disguised Protector and Deceptive Offer.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    YAY NAGA!!!!

And man, those Scorpion cards are nasty if you fall into the Scorpion's traps.

• Options
    Also the new Fire province is probably going in Scorpion decks from now on. "Oh, you're going to break this? Let me just Way of the Scorpion your best dude first."