As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Messing with my new case. Should I convert it into an open layout? it will look cooler. I don't need all the internal drives. I only lose the ability to mount a 5.25 drive. I was thinking of transferring the bluray drive from my old computer but do I even need it? I stole the sata cable from it years ago so I guess I really don't.

Open layout?

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Yeah I haven't bothered with a disc drive for at least 5 years now.

I'm not really sure what you mean by open layout. What case do you own?

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Rip out everything you don't need, remove airflow obstructions.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »

Fractal Design R6. You can take out all the cages and mount drives behind the mother board.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I bought a usb blu ray drive for when I need it instead of leaving the one permanently mounted, and even then it’s mostly just for movies.

aeNqQM9.jpg

Fractal Design R6. You can take out all the cages and mount drives behind the mother board.

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah open that shit up.

Ah, gotcha.

Yeah open that shit up.

I just did! There are two tiny screws that were a pain to take out but otherwise it went smoothly. I think I need to get some fan extension cables for the two front fans. There is no smooth way to route them around to the controller on the back due to the length of their cables.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    wait, I don't understand the australian amazon tax thing
    is the amazon australia site exempt from the new tax? Why did amazon block their US site there rather than just adding 10% to the price if shipping to australia to cover the new tax?

BahamutZERO.gif
  • PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    Amazon definitely charges sales taxes in canada, so I'm wondering why it'd be so impossible to do in australia as well.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Psykoma wrote: »
    Amazon definitely charges sales taxes in canada, so I'm wondering why it'd be so impossible to do in australia as well.

I want to say it has something to do with Australia being grumpy they're not getting sales tax from sales on the amazon.com site versus amazon.com.au ? It didn't seem like they were stopping selling things in Australia, just not letting Aussies order from the american version of it.

Maybe.

I don't know I really didn't read the article and don't want to click back to the previous page to find it.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    yeah basically before we could order off Amazon US which i guess avoided sales tax, and now they're locking us down to amazon AUS only
    but the dumb thing is that people in aus didn't order off Amazon US to avoid tax, we ordered off there (and amazon UK) because it actually had stuff you wanted to buy

amazon AU is a desert of nothing-shaped nothing which barely even has books.

tynic wrote: »
    yeah basically before we could order off Amazon US which i guess avoided sales tax, and now they're locking us down to amazon AUS only
    but the dumb thing is that people in aus didn't order off Amazon US to avoid tax, we ordered off there (and amazon UK) because it actually had stuff you wanted to buy

amazon AU is a desert of nothing-shaped nothing which barely even has books.

yeah that was pretty much the case for amazon.ca up until like... 5 years ago

they expanded their facilities here like crazy, now its pretty close to the same selction as the american version

I wonder if this is Australia's attempt at getting a larger selection of amazon's stuff there to better supply people?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    I dunno if there's any ulterior motivation, it's ... actually fairly hard to tell with this government.

• CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    My understanding is it's mainly about large retailers whinging about people not shopping locally because the big box stores are a rort. People can a larger variety of items overseas for cheaper, beyond the GST savings.

But I could be wrong!

工事中
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Shipping stuff to Australia from the US is wildly unaffordable either way in my experience.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    ive had secret satan recipients in AU twice and it was always 10000000% easier to just buy from an AU company

the amazon AU site was weird/bad when i tried it, idk

Tube wrote: »
    Shipping stuff to Australia from the US is wildly unaffordable either way in my experience.

yeah once you factor in shipping it really isn't often cheaper - not for your general casual shopper, anyway. Pretty much the only reason to use Amazon US in australia is because it has stuff you want that you can't get locally.
    But I can completely believe that large local chains (aka foreign owned but locally sited) would convince this government that this will somehow make people spend their money in Aus.

What's actually going to happen is that everyone will use Alibaba.

alibaba has some good shit too, hell I think you can get video cards and stuff off them cheaper than you can get them in the US

edited May 2018
    hmm, never thought about using alibaba as a place to get pc hardware...

oFafz6Ih.jpg

man

not sure I believe any of these prices

Brolo on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Seems worth the risk, if they have a decent return policy.

• iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    You might be missing the minimum order on those, in addition to those suspect prices.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the engrish of the SEO-keyword-esque product descriptions does not fill me with confidence

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Didn’t Linus tech tips did a video on this?

iguanacus wrote: »
    You might be missing the minimum order on those, in addition to those suspect prices.

even at 5 units, the cards still sell for $800+ USD each

so a $1000 order gets you $4000 worth of parts

edited May 2018
    You'll probably have better luck with AliExpress for the one-off. From what I understand Alibaba is the "I'm buying things in bulk!" while AliExpress is "I'm a consumer who needs an item for near mfg cost." (I'm probably wrong)

Linus did a video on them here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUIxyLRnzDc

bowen on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

Not as much as it once was, also now you can send to see collection point like a news agency for a cheaper shipping fee than usual as well.

The dumb thing is though, it is completely legal not to pay the tax on those things though. GST is only applicable on goods over 1000 dollars. So I'd say it is robbing Amazon of money because Amazon Australia is less of a wasteland now than what it was (it is mostly because vendor fronts not fulfilled by Amazon) but is still super expensive.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    In July GST applies to everything it seems. Places like ShopMate are becoming more complicated and slightly more pricey to use now.

• Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

Some friend of a friend of the owner of the company I work for, was moving to New Zealand to be a ski bum, and couldn't put all her skis and stuff on the airplane without huge costs.

So we packed it all up and shipped it. USD$409 for two boxes, 66x18x4@37# and 45x16x16@42# I was floored, tried every trick to get it lower, but that was the label price. Most I'd seen before was like $220 for a 48x18x4@35# to northern AUS. Which I boggled at greatly and apologized to the customer for by not adding any other handling charges.

It seems strange to me, because there's like, these obvious and defined logistics routes between these island nations/continents. Like, how can it be so expensive, when the boat/plane is already going there with the food and stuff?

Anon the Felon on
    "lol fuck you what are your other options?" is my theory

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »

Not as much as it once was, also now you can send to see collection point like a news agency for a cheaper shipping fee than usual as well.

The dumb thing is though, it is completely legal not to pay the tax on those things though. GST is only applicable on goods over 1000 dollars. So I'd say it is robbing Amazon of money because Amazon Australia is less of a wasteland now than what it was (it is mostly because vendor fronts not fulfilled by Amazon) but is still super expensive.

GST was only applicable on stuff over a grand when ordered from overseas. Now that Gerry Harvey is running the economy, it's applicable on everything that comes in. Even though they already ran the numbers and found that it would cost more to enforce than it would bring in.

In short, fuck Gerry Harvey and the other old bastard idiots that can't see that the real reason we were ordering shit online is because it's convenient.

pimento wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »

GST was only applicable on stuff over a grand when ordered from overseas. Now that Gerry Harvey is running the economy, it's applicable on everything that comes in. Even though they already ran the numbers and found that it would cost more to enforce than it would bring in.

In short, fuck Gerry Harvey and the other old bastard idiots that can't see that the real reason we were ordering shit online is because it's convenient.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Hey I'm buying an iPad today

I've never had an iPad before

Should I make the $100 jump up to 128 gigs from 32, it seems like that's really what they want you to do

6F32U1X.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »

Should I make the $100 jump up to 128 gigs from 32, it seems like that's really what they want you to do

Yes.

Grobian wrote: »

Yes.

If you can afford it. Yes.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular

I'd say no?

If you store music on there, I guess. But I think 32 is pretty fine for like regular apps and games.

Always more memory. Always.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean if you don't need that extra 100 dollars sure. but we have a 32 gig iPad and we've not ever had a storage problem on it yet.

With a phone, where people have all their photos and music plus apps, yeah, I'd say go bigger, but an iPad is a slightly different beast.

Depends on how app heavy you go.

I've noticed apps are starting to use both application memory and storage in much larger numbers than they used to on iOS. So 10 or so apps could eat into that significantly.

edited June 2018
    You're not wrong, I've just been burnt by the "8/16/32GB is surely more than enough!" assumption too many times.

Also if you use it to watch and store movies or do art I could see that chewing through a bunch of memory real quick.

tynic on
This discussion has been closed.