As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon] Yellow Inspired Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee Confirmed, Gen 8 Late 2019

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    What was the reason for rock and ground being two different types?

• DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    SilverWind wrote: »
    By the way I have to second Bagel in that I love the totally absurd requirements to evolve some Pokemon. Bring the Pokemon to this magnet place? Have a dark type in the party? Turn the 3ds upside down? Yes give me more like that!

I wish it was more puzzle like and there were clues. And also that it wasn't so easy to look up on the internet

You have a living Pokedex with every gender and regional and special variant represented. On some level you wish the Bank wasn't a thing, just so you could do it all again

You are more monster than the ones you carry in your pocket

holy shit

ALL of them?? Even the promotional mons? And the weird ones with dumb evolution gimmicks??

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Couscous wrote: »

What would be the reason for them being one type? Tons of rocks aren't in the ground and the ground contains a bunch of stuff that's not rocks.

Diglett being a Rock type would be crazy and Aerodactyl being Ground type also feels silly.

Or, mechanically, because it makes the type matchups more complex and interesting.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

you know what else is scary?
    being punched in the face

Bugs, ghosts and darkness are common phobias. Irrational fears. Not a lot of people have a deep psychological aversion to being punched. Just a natural reflex to avoid being injured.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular

Punching a rock is hard, punching a mole-hill isn't. You might as well conflate Normal and Fighting, or Water and Ice.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    punching the ground is plenty hard though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote: »
    Wyborn wrote: »
    By the way I have to second Bagel in that I love the totally absurd requirements to evolve some Pokemon. Bring the Pokemon to this magnet place? Have a dark type in the party? Turn the 3ds upside down? Yes give me more like that!

I wish it was more puzzle like and there were clues. And also that it wasn't so easy to look up on the internet

You have a living Pokedex with every gender and regional and special variant represented. On some level you wish the Bank wasn't a thing, just so you could do it all again

You are more monster than the ones you carry in your pocket

holy shit

ALL of them?? Even the promotional mons? And the weird ones with dumb evolution gimmicks??

Wyborn overstates it--I don't have every single promo event pokemon (that would be....crazy daunting and actually would involve money to go to many of said events :P)

I just have a living pokedex, with the mythicals and most visual variants. Though not ones like the pikachu coloured pichu, or the spikey eared pichu. And I haven't done the super zany shiny living dex either. (There was someone on these forums making a big dent in that one, if I recall correctly)

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
    I just have a living pokedex, with the mythicals and most visual variants.

How many Spindas ya got?

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Spinda is the assumed exception!!!!

Also I feel like SilverWind is slightly underselling it but she has a much better sense of how broad this shit is than I do. I misspoke out of ignorance

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Well i feel dumb i got to necrozuma and he is kicking my ass since it took me forever riding the lion to reach him and expect for mimikyu i did not level a fairy other than it

• Care Free BombCare Free Bomb Registered User regular
    I think item trade evolutions are real dumb

Really any evolution that relies on using up items you can only get from BP is bad

I would be cool with item evolutions if getting the items was reasonable

8saxds2jkfoy.png
    3DS: 2019-9671-8106 NNID: RamblinMushroom
    Twitter/Tumblr
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    instead of nerfing stealth rock, make a whole bunch of elemental spikes

"loose coals," "water hazard," "bug nest," etc.

and make it so that only one can be active at a time

make it so that all types can get fucked by some type of spike or another, but you have to make strategic decisions about which one(s) to include in your team composition to damage the pokemon most likely to hit your team's weaknesses

fire and flying types no longer uniquely get shit on, stally forced switching strategies aren't rendered inert, and a new layer of strategy gets added to the game

best case scenario imo

instead of nerfing stealth rock, make a whole bunch of elemental spikes

"loose coals," "water hazard," "bug nest," etc.

and make it so that only one can be active at a time

make it so that all types can get fucked by some type of spike or another, but you have to make strategic decisions about which one(s) to include in your team composition to damage the pokemon most likely to hit your team's weaknesses

fire and flying types no longer uniquely get shit on, stally forced switching strategies aren't rendered inert, and a new layer of strategy gets added to the game

best case scenario imo

I'm throwing this idea in the garbage

And you're going in too, nerd

dN0T6ur.png
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Oh hey, June is Shiny Zygarde month. Dope.

distro-head-june.png

Moth 13 on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Moth 13 wrote: »

distro-head-june.png

It looks like toothpaste

Brainleech wrote: »

distro-head-june.png

It looks like toothpaste

Yeah, that picture makes it look kinda cool, but it doesn't look like that. It looks like this.
    Spr_7s_718_s.png

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

What would be the reason for them being one type? Tons of rocks aren't in the ground and the ground contains a bunch of stuff that's not rocks.

Diglett being a Rock type would be crazy and Aerodactyl being Ground type also feels silly.

Or, mechanically, because it makes the type matchups more complex and interesting.

The number of ground types that weren't also rock types in the first game could be counted on no hands.

The number of ground types that weren't also rock types in the first game could be counted on no hands.

...Diglett, Sandshrew?

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular

Diglett, Cubone, Sandshrew, and the Nidos.

• KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    TamerBill wrote: »

...Diglett, Sandshrew?

and to cover the reverse claim (all rocks were part ground) you have all 5 of the fossil pokemon

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

distro-head-june.png

It looks like toothpaste

Yeah, that picture makes it look kinda cool, but it doesn't look like that. It looks like this.
    Spr_7s_718_s.png

That looks cool though? It's a nice color scheme. Very stylish.

• Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    Honk

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
    edited June 2018
    rocks and dirt are made of the same stuff but they are not the same thing, they behave differently and it is reasonable to make them different types

like how ice and water are the same thing but they behave differently and so making them be different types is reasonable

Though I do think the differentiation of rock and ground definitely feels way less immediately apparent than ice/water or even fighting/normal

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    tumblr_p9mi98LVlj1tt0hdho1_500.png

It took

So long to find dodo art

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I never understood rock and ground being separate until someone on the forum pointed out that rock-types tend to be made of rock, while ground-types tend to be burrowing creatures.

Ground in particular is more the opposite of flying than it is related to rock

• PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    My armchair SR nerf would be to have steel types remove them on entry just like poison types do for toxic spikes (ie: they crush them).

I just have a living pokedex, with the mythicals and most visual variants.

How many Spindas ya got?

I've got a box of spindas; I made my best effort

signature.png
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Jimothy wrote: »
    I never understood rock and ground being separate until someone on the forum pointed out that rock-types tend to be made of rock, while ground-types tend to be burrowing creatures.

Ground in particular is more the opposite of flying than it is related to rock

Mmm. Okay, this is a solid explanation I'll accept.

But I'd still be all for making Ice and Rock slightly worse offensively and a good bit better defensively, because while variety in the roles of types is a fine thing having two types be so bad defensively they're nearly unusuable feels garbo (aside extraordinary exceptions, of course, like Tyranitar and Weavile).

Edit: I don't know if I actually explicitly mentioned this but part of the original suggestion was that almost every Rock type would be better as a Ground type

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    @SilverWind did you ever complete your Vivillion collection?

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited June 2018
    I did! That one was fuuuuuuuuun. And daunting. It involved:

-a lot of rapid GTS trades
    -figuring out how reddit worked, so I could get a few rare ones there
    -turning the wifi on and wandering random routes, scrolling through profiles and accosting random Australians and people from the UAE (?), flashing them Vivillions hoping they'd trade one to me

Somewhere along the line I hatched a shiny scatterbug, and I obtained a questionably legitimate shiny viv through the wonder trade as well

SilverWind on
    signature.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    I feel like if ground was called "earth" people would be less confused

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Also, Lexi played a couple hours of Emerald with me, I've never played gen 3!

I think its my least favorite set of starters ever, but Pikablu is cool and also I named my torchic Bojangles so it was fun

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Reddit has been incredibly helpful for less common Pokemon stuff. Got a ton of hidden ability Pokemon back in the day from Reddit giveaways (and gave out my fair share as well).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

edited June 2018
    rude

More seriously, do you imagine a scenario where you lay down three or four sets of spikes to get perfect Super Effective coverage on every possible switch-in?

If the enemy doesn't have a Rapid Spinner, could you set up *checks his notes* nearly 20 different entry hazards? Would it be possible to make a setup where every switch-in is a OHKO from piles upon piles of damage?

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
    Speed mentioned only one active at a time!

:P

signature.png
  • Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    looking at all the beta designs, as far as I can tell the versions they went with are all the best versions and the designs they dropped were all bad

Noctowl

Beta Noctowl is bad!

2x39jD4.jpg
  • SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    SirToasty wrote: »
    looking at all the beta designs, as far as I can tell the versions they went with are all the best versions and the designs they dropped were all bad

Noctowl

Beta Noctowl is bad!

Wrong!

So wrong!

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    nyoom

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
This discussion has been closed.