As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Would it kill them to do a far Asian country setting? Fine China, Japan or India. I suppose they couldn't just asset flip AC Origins into one of those :lol:

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I feel like they're saving Japan for when the franchise is about to die, to save them, because the fan demand is too high for it

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Also they probably are a bit wary of Ghost of Tsushima on the horizon.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I feel like they're saving Japan for when the franchise is about to die, to save them, because the fan demand is too high for it

That's what some people said about French Revolution Paris

• Options
    And look how that worked for them lol

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'm actually excited for the new Assassin's Creed. Origins was so good, it rekindled my interest in the series. As long as the main character is likeable and that new combat system is still implemented, I'm good.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

I just can't get excited about a new Assassin's Creed. I disliked Origins so much, it pretty much killed my interest in the series.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    What did you dislike so much?

I enjoyed Origins, but also because it was a breath of fresh air in many respects. I’m afraid that Ancient Greece may not offer anything al that different from Origins' Greco-Roman aspects.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    As a huge AC fan, I did not like ACO that much for the first 5 hours or so. At some point, that changed and it rocketed up to being one of my favorites. I can't even say what it was for sure, really, but I know the remote controlled arrow certainly helped.

• Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    What did you dislike so much?

I enjoyed Origins, but also because it was a breath of fresh air in many respects. I’m afraid that Ancient Greece may not offer anything al that different from Origins' Greco-Roman aspects.

I didn't like the open world at all. I play Assassin's Creed for parkour across cities. I tend to dislike wilderness open world games (Horizon Zero Dawn is the only wilderness open world game that I can think of that I've enjoyed), and Origins was no exception. The setting itself did nothing for me. And it felt like I couldn't ride for a minute without a pack of soldiers trying to start a fight. "Oh, just fuck off" was something I yelled at the screen far too often. I despised the combat. It didn't take too long for me to put it down to the easiest mode, and I still hated it, finding it boring and tedious. I hated MMO-esque loot pinata item system, where people dropped random crap that needed to be sorted through in order to determine if maybe there might be a minor, minor upgrade somewhere in the drek. And while Assassin's Creed games aren't exactly the best written things in the world, or even the gaming world, I didn't care at all for any of the characters or the story in Origins; with that said, I'm willing to allow that my reaction there might be influenced by how much I hated the rest of the game.

Basically, for me, it alternated between being boring, annoying, frustrating, unfun, and tedious. I can't really think of any part of it that I enjoyed on any level. And it was doubly frustrating given that Syndicate was the best AC game yet from my perspective.

FWIW, I also hated Black Flag, so what I'm looking for in an AC game is very different than what a lot of other people are looking for in an AC game.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    For me Black Flag was kinda what AC3 should have been. I will pick Origins up if it is on sale because I tried it the other day and it seems like a fun time.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I haven't had an opportunity to play origins yet, but I do like AC in cities rather than wilderness, and I'm not a super big fan of the ship stuff, myself.

Except for shanties.

• Options
    Same here - it’s one of the reasons why I still enjoyed Unity - but I found that Origins sill grabbed me and didn’t let go for a few dozen hours.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Origins has some nice big cities to run around in. Climbing around both outside and in the pyramids was great too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    The combat in Origins was a step back for sure. If I get the drop on somebody they should die, not only lose half their life bar because they are 3 levels higher than me.

• Options
    Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    I don’t know... ACO takes place around 50 BC. Sparta’s heyday was centuries before that (the stuff depicted in 300 is in 480 BC). Greece was in deep decline during ACO, so I’m kinda confused as to how this could possibly be linked in any way to the literal origin of the Assassin Order. The Medjay were a very Egyptian thing, and the Hidden Ones follow from that.

What if there was another proto-Order but from Greece

The series basically becomes an examination of how every major civilisation had to create an order of Stealthy Stabby People to combat Secretive Political People, culminating in 100 Orders being dropped on an island the unification of the Order we know and love in Masyaf

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Options
    Or maybe it's another Templar centric title

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I’m a huge fan of AC but Origins grabbed me like no other. Most of them I’m done in under 20 hours, having rushed the last few hours to finish the story, then I’m done.

Origins I finished at 62 hours. I forced myself after that to play other games since I’ve got other things to play.

Bring on more of that. Actually I should grab the DLC.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    To be fair, a lot of human history happened by being really good at sneaking around with a small sharp object and waiting for the right moment.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Error wrote: »
    The combat in Origins was a step back for sure. If I get the drop on somebody they should die, not only lose half their life bar because they are 3 levels higher than me.

I agree in principle, but that never happened to me because I kept upgrading that thing. I didn’t specifically mark or hunt for materials either, I just did upgrades when I could.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Yeah I found the comments about the hidden blade not killing in one hit didn’t happen to me. My gear tended to be upgraded by the time I got to new areas so I was one hit killing with the hidden blade all game.

Only time it didn’t work was the Phylakes, but they were way overpowered bosses so it made sense.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I can understand someone not liking it, but for me I enjoyed it, you could tell when your attack wouldn't be a kill, because the prompt would change from "assassinate" to "attack" or something like that, so you could make a judgement call based on that. It felt cool that not every guy could be taken out in one stab like that, felt almost cinematic

• Options
    JOE_1967JOE_1967 Registered User regular
    OK, I appreciate the concept of sending some big, nigh-unkillable dude after me; and I can even accept that I might not be able to do much damage with my standard weapons. But when I headshot him multiple times with a ballista and it barely notches his health bar, that starts to get a bit immersion-breaking ...

• Options
    Yeah I’m not going to say I enjoyed the Phylake fights. I did them all because I wanted their gear but I won those fights be standing back with firebombs and then watched them burn to death.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Most of the Phylake fights were me using Predator arrows from a distance and then throwing fire bombs or poison darts. A couple I snuck up on and shanked half their health off, and one of them on a chariot decided to glitch out and explode himself after spinning like a helicopter.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The first phylake I fought was the only one that gave me any trouble, the rest were pretty easy

A lot of fun though

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    If I shoot/stab a dude in the head, he should fall over. This is a basic rule of video games.

About the only things I enjoyed about Origins were the world and Bayek himself, but even he never really lived up to his opening moments. Random loot systems and Far Cry-style animal stabbing, imprecise combat, level gates (soft ones, admittedly, but getting killed by a pack of random critters just because they have a couple levels on me is uncool); heck, even the tombs were boring this time around.

And it's a shame, when they took a year off to reinvent the series, that this is what they came up with, because their worlds are so lovely.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    soylenthsoylenth Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I don't think I've ever had more fun in this series than
    exploring different aspects of the egyptian afterlife
    I put in 130 hours to this game without trying to, I was just have so much fun...

to each their own!

soylenth on
  • Options
    I think I’m going to grab The Hidden Ones. I’ve got a long weekend and it seems like the weather will be miserable.

• Options
    FWIW, this is my first-ever AssCreed, mostly because of the setting, and I'm really enjoying it so far (currently faffing about in Alexandria at level 14). But still, when I shoot a dude in the head with a ballista bolt the size of a pool cue, I do, in fact, expect him to die.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    In the same way, I expect when I jump off a 5 story building that Id have more than a limp for the next 5 steps. Nor that upgrading my breast plate would let me jump off an 8 story building with that same limp as the result.

But the game isn’t trying to be particularly realistic.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Realistic or not, bullet sponges aren’t interesting to fight. I do wish that higher-level enemies were difficult for reasons other than vastly more HPs. But that’s not solely an Assassin's Creed weakness.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • Options
    Phylakes aren't too bad if you go at em at a reasonable level. You can't just try to kill one the first time you see it, because you almost certainly wont be a high enough level. Fully upgraded hidden blade can take 1/2 to 2/3 of their health down as well.

• Options
    I suppose I just have to remind myself that I'm actually in a computer simulation [in-game, that is], and assume they're like the Agents from the Matrix.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    https://gematsu.com/2018/06/assassins-creed-odyssey-screenshots-leaked

Looks like an expansion and/or an internal total conversion mod for Origins. Very much the same engine. You have a bird again, very similar UI etc.

I'm interested, but definitely not at full price.

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I'm full price all the way. I'm just way too into this series tho. On my x on 4K tv it just looks so gorgeous. The rpg elements, the setting, im all in.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I’m a bit disappointed the mini skiffs and trireme raiding seems to be the naval portion again. Only screenshots but it doesn’t look changed up at all.

But I loved the core gameplay of Origins enough that I’m up for more.

Actually the open island map and Trireme with ‘hold button to dock’ looks like they’ve opted for a Black Flag open ocean and you get your own Trireme.

I’m totally up for that.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Yeah this looks great. The environment is beautiful and I'm down for ships again.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I've found every collectible in nearly every AC game

Meanwhile in Crackdown I only got enough agility orbs to get me to max agility and then stopped

If your collectible isn't on a minimap it can fuck right off

There were like 500 orbs in CD1.

Fuck.

That.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    I was at like 498/500 when I lost my Crackdown save, I was very mad to say the least