As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Preemptive Consensus

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Preemptive Consensus

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• FireWater513FireWater513 Registered User new member
    Gabe liked it? I guess I wouldn't say it was terrible, but from beginning to end it left me thoroughly unimpressed. VIII, for all it's flaws, still had some jaw dropping moments that I loved. This one...

The only remotely good things I can think of were:
    Chewie, Glover, Harrelson, Clarke, and a big moment at the end I won't spoil.
    Chewie was probably the only 'unflawed' thing. But he wasn't enough to carry the movie.
    The three actors were all positives, but in addition to ALSO not being able to carry the movie, they all suffered a bit of Portman Syndrome. You could tell they are decent actors doing the best they can, but were either limited by bad scripting, or at times seemed shackled by poor directing, which left you just feeling sorry for the actors TRYING to make the most of their part.
    And the big thing at the end, cool as it was, requires them bringing a show into movie canon which was already somewhat a stretch. Failing that, it only makes sense if Han Solo is about 25 years older than Darth Vader.

And frankly, while it was an interesting choice, I still think it ultimately hurt the movie to try and make a "Han Solo" movie without Han Solo in it.
    Let me clarify that. I'm not some die hard Harrison Ford fan who thinks "No one else can play Solo!" But this new kid... he simply is NOT Han Solo. In the same way as vegan bacon is not actually bacon. The rest of the movie could have been incredible, and the very poor main character would have still dragged it down pretty far.

And all the problems, including many I didn't mention due to flat out spoiling various parts of the plot, might have been fixed a bit if they just focused on making THIS movie good rather than trying to set up a new franchise. The whole movie reeked of 'they're setting up the next movie', which frankly might not even come now based on how poorly this one is selling.

I give it a 5/10. Managed to not absolutely suck, but entirely ignorable.

• MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    I kinda/sorta liked it, but only because I went in fully expecting that it would suck big time (corporate event, couldn't avoid it). So in a way, it exceeded my expectations.

Do agree that it suffers from leaving too many loose ends though. They tried to tie it back to the main Star Wars franchise, but the overarching plot just made very little sense throughout.

• RenegadePhantomRenegadePhantom Registered User regular
    I came away having really enjoyed myself.The acting was pretty good and the story was decent, if a bit forgettable. But all of the good moments added up to a fun romp. After TLJ I get that people aren't interesting in seeing Star Wars movies any more, hell I'm going to be skipping the 'Episodes' from now on. But the Stories, the spin-offs, those are two for two right now. Rogue One was a great dramatic movie. And Solo was a lot of fun. Gimme more of these Stories!

• MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    Oh and more to the point,

Gabe: Lost his beer, gained a black eye
    Tycho: Face slashed, drink intact.

Who won the fight?

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I haven't seen Solo yet. It looks OK, but I dunno... Star Wars is still great and all, but it doesn't really feel special any more. Used to be a major event, but now there's a new movie every year and it's just kinda lost its allure. But that's kinda dumb for me to think because pretty much the only time I go to the movies is to see the latest MCU offering, which I've excitedly done for the last 10 years so I dunno...

Like, "Hey the new Kenobi: A Star Wars Story trailer dropped." Eh, looks alright.

"Hey man, you see that there's going to be a Paste-Pot Pete movie coming out next year?" Holy shit! Why can't I pre-buy some damn tickets?!

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ProwlingmonkeyProwlingmonkey Registered User regular
    Oddly enough, of the "New" star wars films, the only one I disliked so far is Rogue One. In brief, I couldn't emotionally grasp onto anything because it was hop here, introduce characters, everything explodes, onto the next set of 10 minute main people who will die. The blind wannabe jedi was awesome though.

But popular/internet opinion is that all the other films are bad, but I really enjoyed them, especially TLJ. Not saying that people who hate the film aren't allowed or justified in their opinions. Fully accept I have shit taste in films *shrugs* (though usually I'm the one who is asked "don't you like anything" being told I'm hyper critical). I know people have strong opinions, particularly those whose lives were in a part shaped by the films growing up, and the films now just becoming yearly releases instead of special events, hot potatoed between creatives who all have different ideas about where the story should go. I avoid bar fights.

Thought it weird the Solo actor controversy about needing a coach. Maybe that is what he do to get results, because I thought he was great in the movie "Hail Caesar!". He made a noodle Lasso :3

• rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    MaryAmelia wrote: »
    I kinda/sorta liked it, but only because I went in fully expecting that it would suck big time (corporate event, couldn't avoid it). So in a way, it exceeded my expectations.

I call that the "movies you see on a plane are always good" phenomenon. If you have no other options other than focusing on the movie your brain fools you into thinking they are much better than they actually are.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I liked the Last Jedi and the fact rose gets so much hate perplexes me.

That said the Solo movie even without the problems was just not a film anyone was demanding so yeah of course reception is lukewarm. That and the amount of Star Wars films is draining the fan base even if they had been universally loved.

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Trust but verify?

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Those acting classes were brutal

https://youtu.be/-rDw2YBUz6A

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    MaryAmelia wrote: »
    Oh and more to the point,

Gabe: Lost his beer, gained a black eye
    Tycho: Face slashed, drink intact.

Who won the fight?

Tycho by a mile. He'll gain one of those badass mercenary scars. And he still has his drink.

steam_sig.png
    Kagera wrote: »

That said the Solo movie even without the problems was just not a film anyone was demanding so yeah of course reception is lukewarm. That and the amount of Star Wars films is draining the fan base even if they had been universally loved.

I think I liked TLJ? I came away from it feeling like I enjoyed it more than TFA, anyway. I just feel like no one knows what to do with this new trilogy. Also not a fan of (with the exception of Leia) all the OT characters being shoved aside in a way that seems like "Well who cared about these guys anyway?"

TLJ made me start to like Kylo Ren, but then it looped around to not knowing where to take the story
    I thought it was really cool and interesting how Ren's motivation seemed to be "tear down both sides" He wants to stop the cycle of conflict by breaking the repetition of history. "I will finish what you started, Grandfather" took on a new meaning for me. Vader tore down the Jedi order, and then killed Palpatine which was the beginning of the end for The Empire. Vader started the process of tearing down both sides, and Kylo wants to finish it.

Except it just reverted back to "Join me Rey, together we can rule the galaxy!" Like, come on man...
    Also, Finn and Rose's side story was just so pointless. A needless time waster, bleh...

I do love Rey though! Been on board with her from the start, and I loved the reveal for her in TLJ. Hopefully episode 9 figures out what it wants to do =/

Also, hopefully we get Vader: A Star Wars Story at some point. There's a movie I would rush to go see. All they have to do is turn those excellent Marvel comics into a movie.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Skull2185 wrote: »

I think I liked TLJ? I came away from it feeling like I enjoyed it more than TFA, anyway. I just feel like no one knows what to do with this new trilogy. Also not a fan of (with the exception of Leia) all the OT characters being shoved aside in a way that seems like "Well who cared about these guys anyway?"

TLJ made me start to like Kylo Ren, but then it looped around to not knowing where to take the story
    I thought it was really cool and interesting how Ren's motivation seemed to be "tear down both sides" He wants to stop the cycle of conflict by breaking the repetition of history. "I will finish what you started, Grandfather" took on a new meaning for me. Vader tore down the Jedi order, and then killed Palpatine which was the beginning of the end for The Empire. Vader started the process of tearing down both sides, and Kylo wants to finish it.

Except it just reverted back to "Join me Rey, together we can rule the galaxy!" Like, come on man...
    Also, Finn and Rose's side story was just so pointless. A needless time waster, bleh...

I do love Rey though! Been on board with her from the start, and I loved the reveal for her in TLJ. Hopefully episode 9 figures out what it wants to do =/

Also, hopefully we get Vader: A Star Wars Story at some point. There's a movie I would rush to go see. All they have to do is turn those excellent Marvel comics into a movie.

TLJ and Kylo:
    Kylo asking Rey to join him was completely different than Vader talking to Luke. Vader was trying to seduce Luke after utterly overpowering him. He's also seeking Luke to join him because Vader feels he isn't powerful enough to take the Emperor on by himself.

Kylo was genuinely trying to ask Rey to join him out of respect and a longing for companionship... though he was also so full of himself that he didn't understand why Rey wasn't into him. But it wasn't a motivation because he wanted to overthrow his master. They had just done that, remember?

DarkPrimus on
  • ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    For what it's worth I liked Solo. It wasn't mind blowing but it had all the pew pew lasers, and space cowboy stuff you've come to expect from Star Wars. Only thing I didn't like was the twist at the end because it makes no goddamn sense to me. Like that dude died in episode 1 (I think), how is he alive and well here. Maybe somebody more enthusiastic than myself about Star Wars lore can fill me in.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

The amount of films? There have been what 4 now? Christ there will be 4 marvel films out this year alone.

Also it is sad how many people are invested in this movie doing bad as an example of? I have no idea. I though the guy they got to play Solo was great and his interactions with Donald Glover's Lando were a treat. Of the new films I think this is one of my favorites

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I might have franchise stockholm syndrome, but after TLJ damned near ruined Star Wars for me, I enjoyed Solo. It gave me the warm fuzzies I want out of Star Wars. It wasn't a mocking, sneering take on the Star Wars motif like TLJ was. It wasn't some weird meta reboot like TFA was. It wasn't some "What if it was Star Wars... but a war movie!" like Rogue One was.

It was just an honest to god sincere Star Wars film. It's that sincerity that Star Wars has been missing since Disney got it. TFA was an honest try. But the film just had too much meta-commentary about what it was trying to be, instead of just being it. The rest haven't even bothered.

I'm beginning to think only Baby Boomers can do Star Wars correctly. George Lucas and Ron Howard both lived through the same time in roughly the same way. They both understand the cultural roots of Star Wars in pulp serials and post WWII films, along with an era where Westerns were still a popular genre. It's a lived experience with a culture that created Star Wars than younger directors can only mimic or deconstruct. And when all the Baby Boomers are gone, Star Wars will be gone too.

• jwalkjwalk Registered User regular
    it didn't work THAT well.

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I quite enjoyed the movie myself. Some good action scenes, some good, if cluttered worldbuilding, and I think the new guys playing Han, Chewie and Lando did a fine job in the roles. It definitely needed more L3-37 though.

And yeah, I'm baffled by the appearance of [redacted] at the end at well. I'm somewhat aware that he survived the end of a certain movie and has made appearances in other side things in the canon, such as cartoons and comics, but I thought a certain Jedi killed him for good during the Clone Wars animated series.

T-Danger wrote: »
    I quite enjoyed the movie myself. Some good action scenes, some good, if cluttered worldbuilding, and I think the new guys playing Han, Chewie and Lando did a fine job in the roles. It definitely needed more L3-37 though.

And yeah, I'm baffled by the appearance of [redacted] at the end at well. I'm somewhat aware that he survived the end of a certain movie and has made appearances in other side things in the canon, such as cartoons and comics, but I thought a certain Jedi killed him for good during the Clone Wars animated series.

To your redacted spoiler.

His canonical death occurs post this movie, it was on the rebels tv show.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think only Baby Boomers can do Star Wars correctly.

After the prequels, I was sure that anyone besides George Lucas could do Star Wars better. Whether it be a Baby Boomer or an actual, literal baby.

• ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    Solo was a good movie, I enjoyed it and it was a lot of fun. The Last Jedi was great, it had some issues and I'd have written a few things differently, but it was a solid movie. Sad that people seem to dislike one or both so much, but to each their own.

• JortalusJortalus Registered User regular
    Solo is a great movie to watch for fun. It's true that it doesn't do much with the universe that we haven't seen before, though the train sequence was pretty awesome and reminded me of Shadows of the Empire on the N64.

The acting was above-par and Han's new actor did the best he could. The action scenes were well-shot and the plot twists were fun, if a bit predictable for a heist/caper movie.

At the end of the day it's visually impressive, consistently funny, and engaging enough to watch interchangeably with Rogue One when you're in the mood for "normal people Star Wars."

Tycho's news post makes me want to see Solo more than any trailer or other means of hype generator has accomplished.

Preacher wrote: »

The amount of films? There have been what 4 now? Christ there will be 4 marvel films out this year alone.

Also it is sad how many people are invested in this movie doing bad as an example of? I have no idea. I though the guy they got to play Solo was great and his interactions with Donald Glover's Lando were a treat. Of the new films I think this is one of my favorites

Man I dunno why it’s different for Marvel maybe because there’s a difference between X-Men and Deadpool or maybe Star Wars fans have been conditioned to expect gaps between movies. All i know is SOMETHING is affecting their box office draw.

Man I dunno why it’s different for Marvel maybe because there’s a difference between X-Men and Deadpool or maybe Star Wars fans have been conditioned to expect gaps between movies. All i know is SOMETHING is affecting their box office draw.

So I've been rewatching the MCU films. They took their time to gear up for 3 MCU films a year. It was 6 films over 5 years to get to the first Avengers. Then 6 more films over 3 years to get to Age of Ultron. Then 7 more films over 3 years to get to Infinity War. And honestly, no single one of those films was anywhere near as franchise halting as The Last Jedi was. And any one of them could probably be skipped without breaking how well you are following the overall story. The spine of the MCU seems to mostly be Avengers and Captain America starting from Winter Soldier.

edited June 2018

Marvel doesn't have a contingent of upset fans aided by mra jerk wads who feel star wars has too many women and people of color? I dunno man, to me I can watch a star wars a year, but I've fell behind on Marvel and can't be bothered to catch up.

Like I don't recall seeing prior to like Black Panther coming out a legion of youtubes about how an exec at Marvel needs to be fired because they support inclusivity, but there was a bunch of dumb bullshit on the youtubes about Solo and firing Kathleen Kennedy. Which is not to say everyone who didn't like this movie is a MAGA dipshit, but there is definitely a signal boost going out from stupid parts of the internet you'd have to be blind to miss.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net

Marvel doesn't have a contingent of upset fans aided by mra jerk wads who feel star wars has too many women and people of color?

They really do actually.

The thing is, the MCU films just keep on trucking despite them because the MCU films are actually good. I mean, if you enjoyed TLJ, I'm not trying to take that away from you. But there are ample reasons to hate it that have nothing to do with hating minorities or being a Trump supporter. Like the fact that the plot mostly limps along because main characters make bafflingly stupid decisions. Major precepts of the universe are broken, like weaponizing light speed. Bizarre contemporary elements leak into what has always been a relatively pristine otherworld, like the crank call the movie opens on. And every way in which it attempts to subvert tropes they chicken out on in the end, and just default right back to the tropes for the conclusion.

TLJ should have just been Space Balls: The Search for More Money. It works better as a parody of Star Wars than a mainline entry.

• ATF_GriffATF_Griff Registered User regular
    I really am not seeing it because I hated last jedi so much.

• WarforgedRusWarforgedRus Registered User regular
    I've liked Rogue One the most since post original trilogy. Solo was better than I expected, but like others, I didn't expect much and there was something missing from it to make it "great". Need to see it again. Rogue One made me *gasp* at certain 2nd half scenes despite the unevenly edited 1st half. *gasp*
    TLJ (from a never45er) but Star War's kid was weird. Just certain scenes were DUMB and not Star Warsy. [TLJ Spoilers]:
    -Look it's weapon special forces in red armor. We have the force but um... let's just fight them with mostly weapons. No cheating with our force powers k.
    -This is a bomber and all the other bombers got wiped in 2s but this bomber can spend 2 minutes of drama grabbing the one remote that can make the bomber bomb. Scene would have been much less dumb if she just activated the bombs from the captain's chair, kissed her necklace, and dove into the ship below.
    -Leia unconscious powers of force space flight. Took me out of the frickin' movie. 20 better ways for that scene to go down w/o granting Superman powers to someone who had previously shown only minor capabilities - with no foreshadowing.
    -Star Wars? More like Star "flinging droid ships at hyperspace through other ships" Wars. Or it should be if that's a thing with no repercussions.

Marvel doesn't have a contingent of upset fans aided by mra jerk wads who feel star wars has too many women and people of color? I dunno man, to me I can watch a star wars a year, but I've fell behind on Marvel and can't be bothered to catch up.

Like I don't recall seeing prior to like Black Panther coming out a legion of youtubes about how an exec at Marvel needs to be fired because they support inclusivity, but there was a bunch of dumb bullshit on the youtubes about Solo and firing Kathleen Kennedy. Which is not to say everyone who didn't like this movie is a MAGA dipshit, but there is definitely a signal boost going out from stupid parts of the internet you'd have to be blind to miss.

You and me are the same. I can’t be arsed to watch four marvel movies a year fuck I haven’t even watched Thor 2 or Captain America the winter soldier let alone civil war or infinity war or age of ultron

But Star Wars? That is me the space is my jam so yeah I will watch Solo probably enjoy it to hell.

You and me are the same. I can’t be arsed to watch four marvel movies a year fuck I haven’t even watched Thor 2 or Captain America the winter soldier let alone civil war or infinity war or age of ultron

But Star Wars? That is me the space is my jam so yeah I will watch Solo probably enjoy it to hell.

I wholely recommend Solo. As a huge OT fan, I loved it, felt like a prequel done right. I'm sad that new Han won't get to do more than origin story but one good movie is good.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • KredKred Registered User regular
    TFA pretty much killed Star Wars for me. Not that it was horrible, and I still believe it's better than anything Lucas would have done, but it fell way short of what it should have been in order to really revitalize the series.

Rogue One was decent, but didn't feel like a story that really needed to be told. Sad that it's the best of the recent films, IMO.

Have not seen Last Jedi, and I'm in no rush to do so. Solo is another one of those "but why?" movies, but it does look like a fun time so I'll catch it eventually.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Solo is worth your time (and money) especially if you disliked The Last Jedi. Instead of subverting 40 years of tropes it leans right in.

I enjoyed them both - Solo far more than I had expected.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    oh cool, since we decided that The Last Jedi was worse than twelve Holocausts, nerds have taken that as a license to harass Kelly Tran to the point of forcing her off of social media

nerds are the best

How dare that actress be a person who was in a movie I didn't like. I better harass her until she quits the internet, that will show the righteousness of my cause.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    -Leia unconscious powers of force space flight. Took me out of the frickin' movie. 20 better ways for that scene to go down w/o granting Superman powers to someone who had previously shown only minor capabilities - with no foreshadowing.

Look, I can't tell you how to feel, because you feel how you feel. She doesn't have the power of "space flight." She has the power of physics with thethe same telekinetic power even Luke showed after extremely minimal training. It still baffles me that people don't get this. If you try to pull a massive object toward you, you instead pull yourself towards the massive object. She's had decades since we last checked in with us.

I don't think it's really much of a stretch, especially if you look at the original movies. Who saw it coming when Luke is hanging upside down and he pulls the lightsaber into his hand? Or when Yoda pulls an entire X-Wing out of a swamp? Or when dead Jedis show up as ghosts? Or when the Emperor shoots lightning out of his fingertips?

It almost feels like they're making this stuff up as they go along...

dennis on
    dennis wrote: »

Look, I can't tell you how to feel, because you feel how you feel. She doesn't have the power of "space flight." She has the power of physics with thethe same telekinetic power even Luke showed after extremely minimal training. It still baffles me that people don't get this. If you try to pull a massive object toward you, you instead pull yourself towards the massive object. She's had decades since we last checked in with us.

I don't think it's really much of a stretch, especially if you look at the original movies. Who saw it coming when Luke is hanging upside down and he pulls the lightsaber into his hand? Or when Yoda pulls an entire X-Wing out of a swamp? Or when dead Jedis show up as ghosts? Or when the Emperor shoots lightning out of his fingertips?

It almost feels like they're making this stuff up as they go along...

I feel like you missed the most important part and are just talking past him. It was done with zero foreshadowing, in addition to just being a goofy stupid scene un-Star Warsy scene. That was some straight up prequel level of cartoonishness, bad CGI, and comic booky nonsense.

I came away from TLJ feeling like I'd just seen an MCU movie. But not in a good way. Because Star Wars isn't the MCU. It's supposed to have a different tone, motif, sensibilities, humor. I don't want Star Wars to be aware that it's Star Wars the way the MCU is aware they are all comic book movies and it's cute. I don't want Star Wars to have a character crack a joke during every dramatic scene the way the MCU does. And I don't want the heroes to inexplicable Deus Ex Machina some new power every time the villian has their number like in the MCU.

But back to the lack of forshadowing. Luke uses some slight force pull technique, with visible effort in the second film after some brief force training? Believable. Yoda and Palpatine being set up as Force Masters by other characters showing Force Master level abilities? Believable. Force ghost? That's set up by the most memorable line from the original film. "If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Leia going from never using, in any capacity, any force powers, or having any character ever reference her having any force powers, to some crazy near death levitation shit literally straight out of the terrible Palpatine v Yoda CGI fight nobody ever wanted is pretty unbelievable.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I really don't think we need to have the internet's two millionth scene-by-scene deconstruction of The Last Jedi right now.

Didn't Leia use the force to find Luke dangling at the bottom of Cloud City?

I also think TLJ has its share of problems, but that Leia scene doesn't bother me. It's pretty well established in Star Wars that the Skywalker family is pretty naturally strong with the force.

One thing I really liked about Solo, is that there was zero force anything. Which again fits with Han in episode 4, he claims he saw a lot of hokey shit, but the force was beyond him.

pleasepaypreacher.net