As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yeah that's true.

I mostly stream stuff off my computer so again, storage on it isn't a thing I care too much about.

• a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    I get the big ones because we have to download movies for road trips with a toddler, but if you aren't storing large stuff like that on there the 32GB can work just fine.

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Hey I'm buying an iPad today

I've never had an iPad before

Should I make the $100 jump up to 128 gigs from 32, it seems like that's really what they want you to do

Not really. Unless you're using it to the all the photos and videos and never have it be cubed to WiFi.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Shipping stuff to Australia from the US is wildly unaffordable either way in my experience.

Some friend of a friend of the owner of the company I work for, was moving to New Zealand to be a ski bum, and couldn't put all her skis and stuff on the airplane without huge costs.

So we packed it all up and shipped it. USD$409 for two boxes, 66x18x4@37# and 45x16x16@42# I was floored, tried every trick to get it lower, but that was the label price. Most I'd seen before was like $220 for a 48x18x4@35# to northern AUS. Which I boggled at greatly and apologized to the customer for by not adding any other handling charges.

It seems strange to me, because there's like, these obvious and defined logistics routes between these island nations/continents. Like, how can it be so expensive, when the boat/plane is already going there with the food and stuff?

You don't wanna know how expensive it is to ship stuff OUT of Australia.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I will have everything for my new computer tomorrow. Except the ram which arrives Tuesday for some reason.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Building computers is so much fun, I love it.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    as long as it doesn't mysteriously not work I agree

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Tim, did you order the memory with blue LEDs? I hear they make your PC run cooler.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Tim, did you order the memory with blue LEDs? I hear they make your PC run cooler.

I ordered the dumb ones with the rgb bar along the top. gskill or something. Fucking why not.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

This M.2 drive is ridiculously tiny.

yeah SSDs are real fuckin' small

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    let's say I have some pc speakers I want to hook up to my TV.

It has a 3.5mm out I believe. the speakers have more jacks than that but I have a little box what came with it that can hook those to rca. can I use a 3.5mm to rca cable into that box and will that sound reasonably OK?

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

It has a 3.5mm out I believe. the speakers have more jacks than that but I have a little box what came with it that can hook those to rca. can I use a 3.5mm to rca cable into that box and will that sound reasonably OK?

Yeah, it'll be fine. I have my old Klipsch Promedia 2.1's hooked up to one of TV's and it works great.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Im getting the urge to build a new computer even though there is no possible way it is sane or logical to do so, i have zero need to do it, it doesnt make any sense. I just built one a year ago and its good.

Still part of my brain is like "okay i understand that but what if you just came up with a build...."

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

I have my old Logitech 5.1 deals hooked into my surface dock in the same way, works fine.

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Im getting the urge to build a new computer even though there is no possible way it is sane or logical to do so, i have zero need to do it, it doesnt make any sense. I just built one a year ago and its good.

Still part of my brain is like "okay i understand that but what if you just came up with a build...."

Sometimes I wonder if it's worth it to put together custom builds to sell on Craigslist or whatever and I never think the math really works, but I just like building and setting up computers and would definitely do it all the time if I knew it would turn a profit.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Weirdly enough, the guy at the Apple store was the one who convinced me I didn’t need 128 gigs

He asked how much of my phone memory I used and that’s when I learned I haven’t even used half of my phone’s 64 gigs, so 32 will be fine on the tablet

God this thing is so nice, it’s actually a little more convenient than a Macbook for me cause of the form factor and now all the multitasking stuff it has now

6F32U1X.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Weirdly enough, the guy at the Apple store was the one who convinced me I didn’t need 128 gigs

He asked how much of my phone memory I used and that’s when I learned I haven’t even used half of my phone’s 64 gigs, so 32 will be fine on the tablet

God this thing is so nice, it’s actually a little more convenient than a Macbook for me cause of the form factor and now all the multitasking stuff it has now

Yeah, my pro is easily the best tablet purchased I've made. Granted, I mostly use it as a really expensive notebook, but it's a dream for things like keeping DM notes, character sheets, reading comics, etc.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular

Yeah, my pro is easily the best tablet purchased I've made. Granted, I mostly use it as a really expensive notebook, but it's a dream for things like keeping DM notes, character sheets, reading comics, etc.

An iPad is seriously such a gamechanger for running tabletop games

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    do you folks use it with some sort of keyboard/case or just the tablet itself for tabletop stuff? I had always used a separate keyboard for that.

I'm starting to debate on getting a new tablet in the near future as my nexus 9 is getting to the point it's incredibly janky if you try to do multiple things on it at the same time, and I don't care much for samsung/amazon tablets after having used them. maybe I'll bite the bullet and get an ipad since pretty much nothing in the android world gets close to that level of quality

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    my turntable needs a new belt I think. I'm getting some really bad wow and flutter I think.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Naphtali wrote: »
    do you folks use it with some sort of keyboard/case or just the tablet itself for tabletop stuff? I had always used a separate keyboard for that.

I'm starting to debate on getting a new tablet in the near future as my nexus 9 is getting to the point it's incredibly janky if you try to do multiple things on it at the same time, and I don't care much for samsung/amazon tablets after having used them. maybe I'll bite the bullet and get an ipad since pretty much nothing in the android world gets close to that level of quality

I recently sprung for the 10-inch iPad pro (the screen size of the old "classic" iPads) and got the new smart case they offer with the built-in keyboard. It's a great balance of portability and function, they keyboard isn't bulky like the logitech cases do. If you've got ~$900 I'd recommend it.

iPad is the ultimate travel device, by the way. If you have a Netflix account (and Hulu is offering this in the near future) you can download a bunch of shows ahead of time. I watched the whole series of Ozark on my last flight to Japan plus a couple other shows, it was great.

godmode on
    I've come to accept that my motherboard and processor are not showing up today despite the shipping saying it would. The last shipping update was in some tiny town of 900 in Kansas for some reason.

I’m already getting that out of it and I didn’t even get the Pro, I got the newest regular-ass one that seems to have most if not all of the capabilities of the Pro

6F32U1X.png
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Features-wise, yeah. They mostly just have different internals.

I’m already getting that out of it and I didn’t even get the Pro, I got the newest regular-ass one that seems to have most if not all of the capabilities of the Pro

Can you use the pencil with the non-pro ipad?

The newest one, yeah

Same size, same features, 300 dollars cheaper

6F32U1X.png

The newest one, yeah

Same size, same features, 300 dollars cheaper

Good, it only took 10 or so years for the Ipad to finally be what it needed to be.

Asus has announced a gaming-focused ROG Phone and it is ridiculous. The CPU is a binned Snapdragon 845 @ 2.96GHz (standard is 2.8GHz) with VAPOR COOLING™ and 8GB of RAM, the screen is a 6", 18:9 (2160 x 1080) OLED with a 90Hz refresh rate and 1ms response time, HDR support and 108.6% DCI-P3 color gamut coverage. Storage starts at 128GB and the battery is a big 4000mAh unit. It has dual front facing speakers with a 24-bit/192kHz DAC with a bunch of headphone/multichannel standards supported.

But really, the accessories are the craziest stuff. There's normal stuff like gamepads that connect to the top and bottom of the phone, but there's also a fan attachment, a dock with a huge amount of ports, another dock with the capability to stream your game to your TV wirelessly, and weirdest is the TwinView dock, which adds another 6" screen, 6000mAh battery, shoulder buttons, force feedback, quad speakers, and a fan.

2qnnwwjftwri.jpg

Ooo what flavors can I get the VAPOR COOLING™ in?

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    So I assume it costs $Texas

JtgVX0H.png

How many different flavors of Mtn Dew are there?

edited June 2018
    What game in the app store needs all that?

And why the hell can they Make an oled 1080p HDR screen on the phone but can't make the Dave thing for desktop?

Casually Hardcore on
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular

Cool Ranch and three different cheeses.

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    That's gonna play Fortnite real well I bet.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Wow asus, infringing on my copyright much?

916b165c-f8ef-4989-b154-412051b2bb80.png
    9f069a90-1c74-4807-b304-6d4b71f02300.png
    5561a3d0-42c4-46bd-a92f-3e870f26916e.png
    c467e654-468d-40be-a852-40505e219d6a.png

A friendly warning that you SHALL NOT buy ANY phone that has Vape or Vape-like technology, that is proprietary to the patent-pending Brolo VAPORCADE CDXX, I take NO pleasure in doing this, but I *WILL* issue takedown notices to ANYONE who infringes on my sovereign rights as a Disruptor.

Darmak wrote: »
    So I assume it costs $Texas

They haven't revealed pricing, but I assume that they won't sell very many and might be a good deal when they eventually get fire saled.

Brolo wrote: »
    Wow asus, infringing on my copyright much?

916b165c-f8ef-4989-b154-412051b2bb80.png
    9f069a90-1c74-4807-b304-6d4b71f02300.png
    5561a3d0-42c4-46bd-a92f-3e870f26916e.png
    c467e654-468d-40be-a852-40505e219d6a.png

A friendly warning that you SHALL NOT buy ANY phone that has Vape or Vape-like technology, that is proprietary to the patent-pending Brolo VAPORCADE CDXX, I take NO pleasure in doing this, but I *WILL* issue takedown notices to ANYONE who infringes on my sovereign rights as a Disruptor.

I'm stealing your hypothetical patent under the banner of a gold-fringed flag, you can't stop me dirtbag

BahamutZERO.gif
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I don't think they ever really expect these things to sell, they just do it for the sillies. Same with that gigantic Surface tablet.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Doesn't razor have a gaming phone coming out as well with a 120Hz refresh screen?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
This discussion has been closed.