As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    My motherboard and processor are AWOL. Last shipping update was Friday morning. Now listed as "Pending" on fedex tracking. Ram is still on the way and tracked.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    jgeis wrote: »
    Ooo what flavors can I get the VAPOR COOLING™ in?

How many different flavors of Mtn Dew are there?

Enough that is has its own wiki!

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • djmitchelladjmitchella Registered User regular
    If your RAM doesn't have enough lights, Gigabyte will now sell you just some lights that fit in what would otherwise be sadly unilluminated RAM slots.

Screen_Shot_2018_06_05_at_9.05.21_AM.0.png

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular

they saw how bad the gaming situation was on Mac, and decided "let's make it extremely worse"

bold, visionary

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

they saw how bad the gaming situation was on Mac, and decided "let's make it extremely worse"

bold, visionary

"courage"

• JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Has this metal replacement they mention at least been around long enough for some devs to have already ported to it, or did they open it up the same time as announcing this?

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    JayKaos wrote: »
    Has this metal replacement they mention at least been around long enough for some devs to have already ported to it, or did they open it up the same time as announcing this?

OGL is deprecated so you'll have some time. Metal's been around for about a year or two? There's some OGL->Metal conversion tools cropping up, some are paid though (and only work with a subset of stuff).

Metal is mostly easier for the standard polygon stuff, but will hit you hard for shaders and normals if you're not doing shit right.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    With Apple's history of using shit that's practically only ever used on Apple products (I/O, programming languages, APIs), I'm still surprised they actually decided to go whole-hog on USB-C for Macbooks.

Putting in something that everyone else uses that's crazy.

(Still holding on to Lightning for iphones tho!)

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    I actually think lightning is pretty good, I'd be fine if everything used it. What's annoying is that it's proprietary so... nothing does.

Metal has been around for a few years but that's not the problem

A universal interface to the GPU helps developers port games to multiple platforms while maintaining healthy optimization

they are really trying to build a dam between themselves and PC gaming (for some reason????)

A universal interface to the GPU helps developers port games to multiple platforms while maintaining healthy optimization

they are really trying to build a dam between themselves and PC gaming (for some reason????)

Apple Gaming Console 2020 confirmed.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    I actually think lightning is pretty good, I'd be fine if everything used it. What's annoying is that it's proprietary so... nothing does.

And that's kind of the problem: Apple doesn't use lightning because it's so great. They use it precisely because no one else does.

It's to optimize battery life on their product lines supposedly.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Or rather so they can sell approved accessories at obscene prices.

schuss wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »

Or rather so they can sell approved accessories at obscene prices.

Potato Potahto

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Guys! All my parts arrived and I plugged everything in and now it is running with Windows and stuff! I think I correctly built a new computer!

Now how do I make sure the bios are updated and the ram and stuff is running right?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    https://youtu.be/MG_NRcy5mxU

Jesus Christ, I was tempted to get a Mac for development work but I think I'm sticking with Linux for the time being.

Save yourself some dollars and snag a mini if you want it for dev work and don't want a laptop.

Then just get a normal HDMI monitor or something.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Did the computer boot up properly? Congratulations, your RAM is running right. You can double check by running dxdiag in windows (in win10 open the start menu and then type dxdiag and hit enter, in older windows type it into the Run command line thing) and seeing if it reports less RAM than you installed, if you're worried one of the sticks is dead or something.
    The advice I usually hear about BIOS updates is "don't unless you have a specific reason to" but you can check your mobo manufacturer's website for information about your board's model number it if you want.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
    Did the computer boot up properly? Congratulations, your RAM is running right. You can double check by running dxdiag in windows (in win10 open the start menu and then type dxdiag and hit enter, in older windows type it into the Run command line thing) and seeing if it reports less RAM than you installed, if you're worried one of the sticks is dead or something.
    The advice I usually hear about BIOS updates is "don't unless you have a specific reason to" but you can check your mobo manufacturer's website for information about your board's model number it if you want.

It did boot! Already got windows installed and putting the graphic drivers on now. Anything else I should be doing?

• DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular

It did boot! Already got windows installed and putting the graphic drivers on now. Anything else I should be doing?

Play video games on it.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
    you're pretty much set after you install your graphics drivers and whatever browser and such assorted programs you want to use

BahamutZERO.gif
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Also ninite https://ninite.com/ for all the assorted programs you'll need.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    @timspork's ghost you can use Speccy or CPU-Z to ensure that your RAM is running at the advertised speed. If it isn't, you may need to update your BIOS or adjust X-AMP settings in the BIOS.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

Dab a small amount of blood on the interior frame to ensure proper running in the future.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
    the new Mac OS, other than the weird gaming thing, actually does look like a decent improvement. they are doing a handful of small quality of life things that actually impact my daily use a lot in a good way

interesting that there was 0 mention of the F-key screen. proooobably not gonna see that shit again in future models

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/MG_NRcy5mxU

Jesus Christ, I was tempted to get a Mac for development work but I think I'm sticking with Linux for the time being.

Son of a fuck, "I purchased the USD$5000 base model iMac Pro" - I had to stop watching there. The BASE model starts at USD$5k?!?

Wait. I fucked up. I tried to run StoreMI, like someone in the pc building thread recommended and I must have done something wrong. Now it can’t find the hard drives. I am currently trying to use the old ssd from my old computer so I can get into Windows to reformat the new drives and start over with a windows install.

Wait. I fucked up. I tried to run StoreMI, like someone in the pc building thread recommended and I must have done something wrong. Now it can’t find the hard drives. I am currently trying to use the old ssd from my old computer so I can get into Windows to reformat the new drives and start over with a windows install.

if you're trying to do an os install or partition, try disconnecting every drive except for the one you want to install to

Brolo wrote: »

if you're trying to do an os install or partition, try disconnecting every drive except for the one you want to install to

I tried but it didn’t show up on the windows installer. It is an m.2 drive.

edited June 2018

hmm, make sure that's mounted correctly

I had to re-seat mine and make sure it was firmly braced with the attachment screw, the bracket for it gave a bit of leeway otherwise

Brolo on
  • KarlKarl Registered User regular

As someone who bricked a computer once doing a bios upgrade I agree. Don't do it unless you have a very good reason. I had to put in a new motherboard to fix mine

hmm, make sure that's mounted correctly

I had to re-seat mine and make sure it was firmly braced with the attachment screw, the bracket for it gave a bit of leeway otherwise

I'll try.

In the windows install program, when I boot from the USB, I can click on drivers and there is an X: drive with what appears to be the files on it but it doesn't appear in the area that I can select it to install windows.

Check the boot order in the BIOS setup menu, if the drives aren't showing up in the list of potential boot devices there the motherboard can't see them at all and you should try disconnecting and reconnecting them to make sure they are plugged in right. If they ARE showing up there and the windows installer still can't see them I'm not sure what to do.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Check the boot order in the BIOS setup menu, if the drives aren't showing up in the list of potential boot devices there the motherboard can't see them at all and you should try disconnecting and reconnecting them to make sure they are plugged in right. If they ARE showing up there and the windows installer still can't see them I'm not sure what to do.

how would they get unseated if I never touched them and they worked fine before?

Is there a way to just reformat them? There was nothing on them but the windows install as they were brand new.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular

Sometimes you have to set the drive to be bootable, not just in boot order.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    edited June 2018
    webguy20 wrote: »

Sometimes you have to set the drive to be bootable, not just in boot order.

I don't know how to do that. They do show up in the list of bootable drives in the bios, but it is like windows isn't even there anymore and I can't get the installer to see them to reinstall. I have reseated both the M.2 and the HHD.

The Installer says, "Where do you want to install windows?" And the secation but has nothing in it and at the bottom it says it can't find any drives

Librarian's ghost on

ask for help in the PC build thread if you haven't already, they're all much better at this than me: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/215058/pc-build-thread-getting-to-the-core-of-the-problem#latest

BahamutZERO.gif
    So while I wait to see some more advice in the PC Builder thread, I have it functioning using the old drives.

The RGB stuff is stupid and cool at the same time.

What is a good pc game to test this thing out with? I ran Battletech, which took forever to load on the old system and the mission started in about two seconds.

This discussion has been closed.