As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    So while I wait to see some more advice in the PC Builder thread, I have it functioning using the old drives.

The RGB stuff is stupid and cool at the same time.

What is a good pc game to test this thing out with? I ran Battletech, which took forever to load on the old system and the mission started in about two seconds.

Do you have Witcher 3 or the latest Tomb Raider? Both very pretty and graphically-intense. Also Overwatch if you like the bright colors.

• useruser Registered User regular
    The Total Warhammer series is a nice way to trot out a nice new CPU.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    DOOM. GTA5 with high res textures & enhanced lighting mods.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    If you just want to stress test, Final Fantasy 14 has a thing you can download that runs your PC through its paces and tests video and everything really well. Its just a demo reel but it renders it inside the game and its free to download so people can see if their PCs will run FF14 before they buy it

But for general system stability, download the Aida64 free trial, and run its test for a few hours. If you have any kind of hardware issue it will stop itself and tell you so.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I haven't played a really demanding game on my brand new PC yet except VR games, but if you don't have an Oculus or Vive that's not really an option for you.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    So I fixed the new drives and got everything working correctly. Installed Witcher 3 and wow does that run amazing at max settings.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    so i don't know where else to post this but i figure there are probably a few people in this thread like me who are Old and like these games..

Raph Koster, who was a designer on Ultima Online, a bunch of early online MUDs and Star Wars Galaxies has written a book about the design of these games

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0996793747/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Since these types of sandbox RPG games basically don't exist anymore this is like a documentation of my childhood, and many pieces of his work directly influenced WoW and other modern MMOs

A sample of some of his writing... https://www.raphkoster.com/2015/04/16/a-jedi-saga/

edited June 2018
    Those games were basically like GTA Online but with a bunch of people -- very fun. A lot of folks say EVE is the one remaining game most like it, but the role you take in that game is a bit too abstracted for my tastes.

user on
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My S7 has started dying, battery life gone to shit, randomly being very slow to wake up, artifacting on web pages, conveniently right when my upgrade eligibility hit, so guess I've got an S9 on the way now and am in sprints android forever upgrade path now (upgrade every 12 months instead of 18).

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    For some reason I find this quite unsettling

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Well it came true. Brand new computer and I spend multiple hours yesterday just downloading and setting up mods for Fallout 4. Every game I've tried looks really good on this computer. The only thing it can't do is HDR but that is due to my monitor.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    My phone is doing a bad job - actually I could just stop there really

but specifically, my phone is doing a bad job telling me about emails. I'm going to have to remember to open the app regularly to ensure I don't miss anything.

• SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    For some reason I find this quite unsettling

Why do the hosts talk to each other?

edited June 2018
    S9 is here. Edgeless curved screen is taking some getting used to, especially since my case doesn't get here until Monday so I'm holding this thing in constant fear of dropping it.

Weaver on
    Like I feel like this thing was designed to slide right out of your grasp.

• Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    how long before they make a phone that is just all screen, everywhere

the whole thing is screen

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    The Essential Phone is pretty much that

sig.png
    Well it came true. Brand new computer and I spend multiple hours yesterday just downloading and setting up mods for Fallout 4. Every game I've tried looks really good on this computer. The only thing it can't do is HDR but that is due to my monitor.

HDR on the PC is the wild west. Microsoft recently added it to windows 10, but it makes the desktop experience rather excruciating (too bright on my OLED, my eyes begin to tear up), and very few games suppprt it. Its been a much smoother experience on PS4 but then again, the agraphics aren't quite as nice.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Weaver wrote: »
    S9 is here. Edgeless curved screen is taking some getting used to, especially since my case doesn't get here until Monday so I'm holding this thing in constant fear of dropping it.

I hate those screens. They're both really expensive to replace, and a real pain to repair too.

Centipede Damascus on
    Anyone want to recommend a sturdy case for the Nexus 5X? Most of the ones I like are pretty much only made for iphone, maybe Samsung; when it comes to this phone I dunno which are good and which are just hyping themselves

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    tynic wrote: »
    Anyone want to recommend a sturdy case for the Nexus 5X? Most of the ones I like are pretty much only made for iphone, maybe Samsung; when it comes to this phone I dunno which are good and which are just hyping themselves

My default is almost always otterbox, I think they make one for the 5x.

I like the one I had for iphone and I like the one for the pixel xl but they are bulky as all fuck

e: wait otterbox doesn't have any? Why am I remembering one for the 5x.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

Yeah the OtterBox is legit.

My wife was using this:

51DNtsfESZL._US500_.jpg
    https://www.amazon.com/SUPCASE-Release-Unicorn-PremiumSlim-Protective/dp/B015XA94OY/ref=br_lf_m_4vnbhraxjy3j9nz_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=wireless

it's very protective, but also makes the phone about 50% thicker and about 15% wider

Man I could've sworn I saw one at best buy a few weeks ago. I think I'm gaslighting myself or something jesus.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Anyone have any good sites/software for balancing color on a monitor? I have a secondary one that just gives me all the problems and I can't get it right

• Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    It is incredibly annoying when windows update needs to apply updates on both shut down and start up

Just took 20 minutes to boot because of this

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
    Cases are for cowards. There, I said it.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »

I wasn't using a case on my Pixel 2 but then I dropped it and cracked the glass part of the back so cases for me from now on.

edited June 2018

I'm on the third incarnation of this phone in 14 months so at this point I am going to say that cases are for people without a lot of disposable cash to spend on a new phone/repairs.

tynic on

Yeah, I don't know what people are doing with their phones that they drop them, but it's never once happened to me.

JtgVX0H.png

I'm on the third incarnation of this phone in 14 months so at this point I am going to say that cases are for people without a lot of disposable cash to spend on a new phone/repairs.

As a librarian, my solution is always going to be "Have you tried moving around less?" It solves a surprising variety of problems.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    i have an iphone x and it is the first phone i've really used a case for.

it is terrifying outside of the case, feels like a half inch from shattering into a thousand pieces.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, I don't know what people are doing with their phones that they drop them, but it's never once happened to me.

cycle, hike, run, travel to weird and exotic places, and most recently, stepped on it.

cycle, hike, run, travel to weird and exotic places, and most recently, stepped on it.

Have you tried not holding it in your hand the entire time? Pants and bags have pockets you can put things in!

JtgVX0H.png

Have you tried not holding it in your hand the entire time? Pants and bags have pockets you can put things in!

WOW I HAD NO IDEA

edited June 2018
    I mean lets leave aside the fact the first time I cracked my screen it happened as I was putting it in my phone holder on my bike (slipped out), or that the time the last one blew up it was actually in my backpack (got caught in a torrential downpour), sometimes people legitimately need to hold a phone in their hands. One time the fucker cracked because I dropped it on the desk while I was using it to film an experiment.

Also women's pants often don't have pockets large enough for phones but thanks for explaining how pants work to me.

Like, I need a case. I asked for a case recommendation. I didn't ask to be hectored about how to own a phone from somebody who doesn't know my life.

tynic on
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Also have some of you never dropped anything ever?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
    I'm not gonna claim stepping on it was my most brilliant move, but I'd also just eaten a bee so I had a lot going on at the time.

edited June 2018
    that supcase looks like it's the big A+ durable case as far as I can find

Are you looking for something less obnoxious than that though?

bowen on
This discussion has been closed.