As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Nier and/or Automata] Romance Delivered Through Melee

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Ending E spoilers:
    I deleted my save... and then instantly reuploaded the backup off the cloud.

And don't even tell me that's not thematically appropriate, because the pods pretty much do exactly that to the characters in the first place. :)

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Ending E
    Well, that was the weirdest end boss ever.

I went ahead and deleted my save, even though I wasn’t close to 100%. Just seemed appropriate.

uH54Bg7l.jpg

I’m still confused about a bunch of stuff, but I guess I never expected to have all the answers.

noooooooooo (on missing D, not for anything in the spoiler)

but at least you liked it?

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Ending E

I went ahead and deleted my save, even though I wasn’t close to 100%. Just seemed appropriate.

uH54Bg7l.jpg

I’m still confused about a bunch of stuff, but I guess I never expected to have all the answers.

You can't get E until seeing C and D.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Ending E

uH54Bg7l.jpg

You can't get E until seeing C and D.

are you sure? I remember getting the prompt after D before doing C.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Every day’s a sale

Every sale’s a win

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I got D before E but it made kind of a limited impression? It just seemed like a worse version of C.

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    buy stuff now or kick yourself later
    Every day's a sale
    Every sale's a win
    I won't even charge you a markup

My stuff's so cheap
    That you will not believe
    How much you can save
    So swing on by
    And then purchase things until you're broke
    Prices so low
    That you need a greatsword to slash them more
    Any lower
    Would be illegal, really

• Options
    I got D before E but it made kind of a limited impression? It just seemed like a worse version of C.
    the interesting part about D is it has two versions, each of them gives you a different take

did you upload 9S, or did you stay behind?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    the interesting part about D is it has two versions, each of them gives you a different take

The former, I didn’t realize there was a variant

• Options

Ending D
    That's personally my favorite ending, but only because what you find out if you don't upload 9S.

He dies on Earth watching the ark sail away while realizing 2B was probably uploaded to it as well. So uploading himself is somewhat a happy ending and an exit to the cycle.

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular

Ending D
    That's personally my favorite ending, but only because what you find out if you don't upload 9S.

He dies on Earth watching the ark sail away while realizing 2B was probably uploaded to it as well. So uploading himself is somewhat a happy ending and an exit to the cycle.

Ending E.
    There's what-if extra-material where 2B wakes up after ending E, and 9S never does because he left.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    PLA wrote: »

Ending D

Ending E.
    There's what-if extra-material where 2B wakes up after ending E, and 9S never does because he left.
    Ending E
    That what-if doesn't make sense because ending E specifically notes that all three - 9S, 2B, and A2 - are brought back to life intact.

• Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    PLA wrote: »

Ending D

Ending E.
    Ending E
    That what-if doesn't make sense because ending E specifically notes that all three - 9S, 2B, and A2 - are brought back to life intact.

Ending E
    The ending just has them all put back together, it doesn’t show them reactivated necessarily. Someone posted a while back some transcriptions from the concert they did, and they had some extra endings. In one of them, 9S reactivates, and everything is fine. In the alternate, something goes wrong and 9S doesn’t wake up, and 2B seizes up and never moves again because she’s overcome with grief. The two pods say they understand her feeling as well, as they too are frozen forever in despair.

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I figure this is far enough from release that asking this won't cause a huge fight over nothing really important.

But what's the big deal with how 2B is dress? I mean, isn't she wearing what a figure skater wears? I know I'm grey when it comes to stuff like this, but I just find it weird how there's so much anger about how 2B dress.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Maybe if it was just the leotard, but the heels, lace, cleavage cutout and frilly skirt don't have a lot of justification. I like the design, but it's pretty impractical.

I recall Taro's reason for her outfit being something like "I just really like girls," though, so there's probably not much more to it than it looking nice.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Maybe if it was just the leotard, but the heels, lace, cleavage cutout and frilly skirt don't have a lot of justification. I like the design, but it's pretty impractical.

I recall Taro's reason for her outfit being something like "I just really like girls," though, so there's probably not much more to it than it looking nice.

There is an ongoing theme of both the machines and androids idolizing and fetishizing the human form so it does fit when you've gone deeper into the game and realize the androids aren't as cold and aloof as they pretend to be. It takes a while to get to the point where they're just about spelling it out though so on the surface it feels incongruous with the battle android motif.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Sure, but they couldn't idolize, say, jeans and a tshirt? And if it's just about the human form, the straight leotard suits better. I don't have any issue with the clothing decision, but it's a bit incongruous with everything else in the game.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Man, I would wear a leotard if it wasn't a crime against humanity. You can't beat the mobility.

• Options
    Sure, but they couldn't idolize, say, jeans and a tshirt? And if it's just about the human form, the straight leotard suits better. I don't have any issue with the clothing decision, but it's a bit incongruous with everything else in the game.

I used the phrase "fetishize" too for a reason. There's text and dialogue that can be interpreted as it being more lustful than a reverence or aesthetic ideal. Even the non-human looking robots we see imitate sex in an early game scene.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Wow, I did the first play through and I can see why people would be really disappointed in this game if they never bother to play through it again.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Wow, I did the first play through and I can see why people would be really disappointed in this game if they never bother to play through it again.

Which i'm not sure how that happens, because the game literally tells the player "yo, you're not done, get back in there".

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    I have seen gamers pull some weird shit. I saw someone think that Undertale ended at the forced crash and didn't know there was an boss fight and credits he missed until someone yelled at him to re-open it the next day. I've seen folks skip a tutorial and then get mad when they don't understand the mechanics.

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Welp, the recent release and visual upgrade for the Xbox One X allowed me to finally play this (sold my PS4 a while back) after eyeing it for a while when it first came out.

First Taro game. Got endings A through E.

Honestly, I feel drained. Like, I can't even pick a other game to play. It's been two days and I haven't touched anything.

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Welp, the recent release and visual upgrade for the Xbox One X allowed me to finally play this (sold my PS4 a while back) after eyeing it for a while when it first came out.

Honestly, I feel drained. Like, I can't even pick a other game to play. It's been two days and I haven't touched anything.

The natural solution is to go play Drakengard 3 and Nier, bright happy games full of rainbows and sparkly joy.

wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I finally got around to finishing this game, after fixing my controller. Didn't go for 100% (I was 2 quests away but they required some grinding, and I had most of the weapons and lore bits except for some in fishing), but I'm okay with that.

Ending spoilers:
    I might have spent a bit too long trying to go it alone there at end before listening to the bloody vocals and accepting help. Once I did and heard the music change, I felt immediately like, "Yup, yea this makes sense now."

*grabs materials, starts building "Bring Nier & Drakengard to PC!" sign to wave around*

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    So I figure this is far enough from release that asking this won't cause a huge fight over nothing really important.

But what's the big deal with how 2B is dress? I mean, isn't she wearing what a figure skater wears? I know I'm grey when it comes to stuff like this, but I just find it weird how there's so much anger about how 2B dress.

Personally, I don't mind--I find it mildly amusing in the actual game, and aesthetically interesting from a character design standpoint. But I'm not going to tell someone who points out dressing alien-killing-machine as a figure skater (but with high heels) could be seen as silly (even more so considering you can remove her skirt if you want).

It's the Bayonetta dilemma again. A lot of people really, really like how Bayonetta looks. And other people point out she periodically becomes naked. They're both correct. An immediately distinctive, recognizable character is really valuable in the genre. But "STOP NOT LIKING WHAT I LIKE!" still kind of rings hollow.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I've never seen anger over 2B's design, anywhere. Unless I missed something in this thread.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    every so often i see some GG types whose only awareness of this game is 2butt laud this game for sticking it to the SJWs

meanwhile most SJWs are like

we love this game about sad gay robots

• Options
    I've never seen anger over 2B's design, anywhere. Unless I missed something in this thread.

It's died down considerably but has never quite been a fever pitch. You still sometimes see some complaints in this and the Steam thread about the designs. Some people miss all the subtext of lust if they haven't gotten far enough, take the veneer of cold battle android at face value, or didn't notice machine lifeforms mimicking sex with each other in some events.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    As often as the lines about being "an empowered woman" who is "in control of their sexuality" and similar are used as excuses for hyper-sexualized designs and skimpy clothing, Bayonetta is one of the very few instances where I can say "Yeah, okay, that checks out."

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular

It's died down considerably but has never quite been a fever pitch. You still sometimes see some complaints in this and the Steam thread about the designs. Some people miss all the subtext of lust if they haven't gotten far enough, take the veneer of cold battle android at face value, or didn't notice machine lifeforms mimicking sex with each other in some events.

Nah.

Taro just likes butts.

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    If you want intelligent commentary on female sexuality and how it is portrayed in videogames play Drakenguard 3.

Wait where are you going!?

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Started this 2 days ago. Really enjoying it so far, already earned ending A. Going to try and get as many trophies legit as I can but not going to skimp on the trophy store if need be.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    KetherialKetherial Registered User regular

oh my god, i had the exact same experience. first taro game. finished it and just felt completely wiped. what an amazing game.

• Options
    Ketherial wrote: »

oh my god, i had the exact same experience. first taro game. finished it and just felt completely wiped. what an amazing game.

Huh, I really need to get on this. For some reason I have this impression I'm going to beat Hellblade first. I've only done the introductory chapter in Nier: Automata.

• Options
    Elendil wrote: »
    every so often i see some GG types whose only awareness of this game is 2butt laud this game for sticking it to the SJWs

meanwhile most SJWs are like

we love this game about sad gay robots

As usual, it works both ways. Most "SJW types" (god, I kind of hate typing that out) I know personally aren't that "into" video games (anymore than they're into movies or any specific medium). When asked for their opinion, they're pretty consistently eye-rolling, including those who played the game back when it came out. It's not hard to see why they'd find it silly (nor is it only one design either). I think it's cute, but a little silly.

But it's not like their opinions are the ten commandments delivered by god either.

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Welp I finished this and got my platinum, uploaded my save as well. That was fucking depressing as hell. Good game though, especially if you are into upskirts.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited October 2018
    I just finished route A, and damn do I blaze through the game if I don't do any sidequest in Route B.
    Also I am cursed to never finish this
    child escorting
    side quest, it's just so sad to see his
    mom going nooooo,oh noooooo

Everything in this game is amazing btw, except for
    eve, I have to do his stupid bossfight with no healing for more than 10 times.
    Also I really enjoyed the interactions between the two protagonist, it felt like the game ended too quickly, I really want everything to keep going to be honest.

Peas on
  • Options
    Peas wrote: »
    I just finished route A, and damn do I blaze through the game if I don't do any sidequest in Route B.
    Also I am cursed to never finish this
    child escorting
    side quest, it's just so sad to see his
    mom going nooooo,oh noooooo

Everything in this game is amazing btw, except for
    eve, I have to do his stupid bossfight with no healing for more than 10 times.
    Also I really enjoyed the interactions between the two protagonist, it felt like the game ended too quickly, I really want everything to keep going to be honest.

If you haven't gotten to ending E, it's still going. A & B are just the first part. C and beyond continue the story after you get the perspective from B.

Steam Profile
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Gonna have to revive this thread.

I bought this like, summer 2017 I think ? Only this last week have I finally gotten around to playing past the beginning sequence and some minor bunker wandering. Blame wow.

I committed to reading through this whole thread before posting which is what took so long. Still not done route a yet. Gonna post some reactions up to this point when I’m no longer on a phone. If there are still people subbed to this thread interested in that thing.