As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon] Sword and Shield: Out now. Mark your spoilers!

PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity.Registered User regular
edited November 2019 in Social Entropy++
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siKH3r5AINg

Pokemon Sword and Shield are out November 15th for the Nintendo Switch. Set in the Galar region, which is based on the UK, you'll pick from either Grookey the chimp, Scorbunny the bunny, or Sobble the water lizard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rmhw84MPtmc

Thread, who is your favourite Gym Leader? I would have to say HGSS Blaine. Not only is he stylish, but he didn't let a volcanic eruption stop him from his duties.

PaperLuigi44 on

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Jasmine. She's super cute and she has a Steelix

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    My favorite Gym Leader is Giovanni.

Cyrus is my favorite team leader because he so clearly belongs in a different video game.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • SilverWindSilverWind Registered User regular
    My favourite gym leader is Blue

Follow a type theme? Naah
    Stay in the gym so trainers can get their earth badge? PASS
    Go on a grand adventure and be amazingly hard to find or get in contact with? Yeah!

I know there's the theory that gym leaders tailor their difficulty based on how many badges their challengers have, but I bet Blue goes all out every time and occasionally smashes some kid who only has a starter and three rattata

signature.png
    Switch: SW-7603-3284-4227
    My ACNH Wishlists | My ACNH Catalog
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I’d probably go with Blue as well

Favorite evil team leader is currently RR Giovanni because I love alternate universe hopping bullshit

Or N if you count him

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    lt. surge...... thank you for your service

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Lt. Surge is a war criminal who abuses pokemon, forcing explosions and painful mutations

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Lt. Surge is a war criminal who abuses pokemon, forcing explosions and painful mutations

please...... this discussion doesn't have to get political

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Having read a few volumes of Pokémon Special recently, I hope they lift the idea of making half the gym leaders Rocket admins and the others as essentially resistance fighters

Really works with the organized crime theme if the government corruption extends beyond just Giovanni

Or like

Since the Let’s Go trailer revealed that Fuschia is going to be more old-timey Japanese in aesthetic, go all in on Koga as the leader of a ninja clan, make them their own villainous faction

Feature the Shadow Triad, maybe they were trained by Koga before they started serving Ghetsis

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Does the battle with Blue in Gold/Silver use the Champion Battle theme from Red/Blue?

That would be really cool but I've forgotten

dN0T6ur.png
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    it is pretty funny how most of the gyms in kanto are pretty reasonable puzzles and then lt. surge's setup is making kids pick through these like, twenty trash cans he hauled into the building, so they can disable the live wires he's hanging out behind. And then he tells anyone who gets that far about his time in the war

I feel like the pokemon league probably doesn't inspect his gym very often

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Daypigeon wrote: »
    I feel like the pokemon league probably doesn't inspect his gym very often

They would, but it's such a hassle to have to bring a pokemon with Cut every time they want to get into the gym that they tend not to bother.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    -Tal wrote: »

lt. surge was also a punk who could not handle one severely underleveled geodude with dig

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    6iDypGt.png

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    I discovered they did not use this theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_5TVp1wSTU

They should have.

dN0T6ur.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    It's not a gym theme but the best Pokemon music was the friend battle song from X and Y. Which was a waste because those were easy as fuck. Incidentally the gym battle theme from that gen was dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFWk2HMaV3k

Edit - Also this should be in the OP:

Henroid on
  • DaypigeonDaypigeon Registered User regular
    anyways in terms of favorite gym leader, these days I would probably go with Sabrina (setting aside the kahunas for a bit)

talking up your psychic powers only to be wrong a lot is, same, and also i respect how she looked at the original saffron city gym's lack of nonsense puzzles and was like "hmm, no"

also espeon is great

Wyborn wrote: »
    I discovered they did not use this theme.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_5TVp1wSTU

They should have.

They couldn't even fit the full Kanto trainer battle theme in the game.

They have made up for it, by making the Kanto Champion Battle theme the permanent World Championship theme and remixing it for every game since Black/White.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Region favorites:

Kanto: Blue/Giovanni
    Johto: Whitney
    Hoenn: Winona
    Sinnoh: Crasher Wake
    Unova: Lenora
    Kalos: Clemont
    Alola: This one is too difficult. Can I say all of them?

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I guess my favorite is Misty

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Winona, flannery, and roxie are probably my favorites. Marlon and erika too

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    dfvbvzfx0883.png
    My boy Volkner

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Also shout out to one of the best gym leaders, Dad.

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    I really liked how the Unova gym leaders all had interests outside of their duties as gym leader. The brothers run a restaurant, Lenora's a historian, Burgh's an artist, Elesa's a fashion model, Skyla's a pilot, Cheren's a teacher, Roxie's a rock star, and the others I don't remember off the top of my head. It made them feel like they had lives.

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I mentioned last thread i was doing a all-fighting type playthrough of X. So here's an update, i guess. I'm about to hit camphrier town with SUPPLEMENTS! the Quilladin, REPS! the Riolu, and OCTAGON! the Pancham. My trainer name is Max Power and I will kick your fucking ass.

My tentative plan is to shunt Riolu toward the SpAtk side of things, then aim for a Poliwrath, Medicham and Toxicroak for the rest of my main goon squad, with a Hawlucha for my main rotational piece. And before you ask, YES, I will be naming Poliwrath CROSSFIT!

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Off the cuff I'd probably say Crasher Wake, but thinking about it Sinnoh's gyms in general were awesome.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    My trainer name is Max Power and I will kick your fucking ass.

Ooh, hey, great name!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• ZenyatooZenyatoo Registered User regular
    favorite gym leader is a real tough call.
    I love how jasmines trainers do the ! thing, and walk up to you, and then thank you for helping jasmine rather than battling you.
    Also that she was 100% willing to just blow off being a gym leader in order to help that ampharos. "League business can wait pokemon need me!" - jasmine probably
    (Also steel types are dope and she uses steel types and that's a massive plus)

Flannery is up there too. Her intro bit in ORAS was pretty great. Every other gym leader is super confident and Flannery just flubs all her lines instead.

Speaking of ORAS i've been chugging through my Alpha Sapphire run. I got up to kyogre and tried to catch it a few times and then got frustrated and put the game down for a bit.
    Who decided to make the legendary have aqua ring? Why does origin pulse seem to crit me 50% of the time and never miss despite its 85% accuracy? Why wont this dumb whale just stay in the net ball!
    I've been told you can just murder it and come back and catch it later but at this point i'm just refusing to accept defeat.

• The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Zenyatoo wrote: »
    Speaking of ORAS i've been chugging through my Alpha Sapphire run. I got up to kyogre and tried to catch it a few times and then got frustrated and put the game down for a bit.
    Who decided to make the legendary have aqua ring? Why does origin pulse seem to crit me 50% of the time and never miss despite its 85% accuracy? Why wont this dumb whale just stay in the net ball!
    I've been told you can just murder it and come back and catch it later but at this point i'm just refusing to accept defeat.

At least it doesn't surprise you with Double-Edge to murder itself like in the originals.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
    edited June 2018

At least it doesn't surprise you with Double-Edge to murder itself like in the originals.

I must have gotten lucky, I dont remember it being this hard to catch in Sapphire. Actually, did it have a higher catch rate in Sapphire? Maybe that's what happened. Or I just got really lucky and dont remember it.

EDIT: i'd be less frustrated if I could just skip the longass intro to the fight.

EDIT2: Caught it. Time to throw it into the PC forevermore. Sorry kyogre, I already have a water pokemon.

Zenyatoo on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    Serebii lists Kyogre as having a catch rate of 5 in RSE and 3 in ORAS, so not a big difference. Still, I'll never forget catching it with a Poke Ball (all I had left) in Sapphire.

As for Gym Leaders, I'd also have to give props to Lenora - cool design, cool job and I have a lot of respect for her strategy.

Serebii lists Kyogre as having a catch rate of 5 in RSE and 3 in ORAS, so not a big difference. Still, I'll never forget catching it with a Poke Ball (all I had left) in Sapphire.

As for Gym Leaders, I'd also have to give props to Lenora - cool design, cool job and I have a lot of respect for her strategy.

So it did have a higher catch rate. Case closed, ORAS is ruined, pack it up boys and girls.
    In all seriousness I looked it up and my balls had something like 8-10% per throw because it kept healing. It took like 30 balls. Fuck you kyogre.

I trounced the elite 4 pretty quickly. It's kinda funny how blaziken is good for 3 of the 5 members of the elite 4. (That's a weird sentence to type btw)
    The credits were nice and pretty, I liked that they showed the pokemon you were using for that particular gym battle, its neat.
    Also holy shit the rival battle. As soon as it started I was really curious as to whether or not they had secretly healed my pokemon during the credits. If they hadn't then that would have been the biggest dick move. Not even Blue managed to ambush you after the end-credits!

The delta episode was interesting. I put the whole thing on pause to go catch a bunch of dragon pokemon that were now available and fill my team with them instead of an actually good composition. That was sort of working against me for a while until zinnia decided to fight me and woops she's a dragon trainer too. I'm sure Rayquaza can just solo that battle, but it was nice to rotate through the whole roster while still getting to super effective the enemy team.

I have to say, I was really not feeling some of the design decisions towards the start of ORAS, but the game really picked up after Mauville.

I mentioned last thread i was doing a all-fighting type playthrough of X. So here's an update, i guess. I'm about to hit camphrier town with SUPPLEMENTS! the Quilladin, REPS! the Riolu, and OCTAGON! the Pancham. My trainer name is Max Power and I will kick your fucking ass.

My tentative plan is to shunt Riolu toward the SpAtk side of things, then aim for a Poliwrath, Medicham and Toxicroak for the rest of my main goon squad, with a Hawlucha for my main rotational piece. And before you ask, YES, I will be naming Poliwrath CROSSFIT!

Today's update: I have completed camphrier town and the terrible parfum palace sidequest. This is my 3rd time playing X and oddly enough it's kind of making me more excited about the Let's Go games. Mainly because I'm really really hoping they push the insane amount of unskippable cutscenes and tutorializing into those games, so the 2019 ones can maybe avoid that. This game and SuMo as well just grind to a halt every five seconds, feels like.

Anyway i caught a croagunk and named her GRAPPLE!

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    I finished off alpha sapphire and picked up my moon playthrough from where I left off. I dont remember what real life thing got in the way that led to me putting moon down. But I genuinely forgot that I was only halfway through the game.

I also didnt remember what team I was trying to use (Im the kinda person who likes to plan it all out in advance). Thankfully im also the sort of person who jots things down into notepad files, and I found my old one. My favorite note here is "Mudbray: Early game. - Scratch that, mudbray is dope, bring to endgame." God only knows what happened to require that note addition, but hey who am I to argue with my past self.

Also on the list "Dhelmise - Ghost anchors are cool." "Vikavolt - its a bug with a railgun for a face!" "Kommo-o - He's a dragon who punches people, heck yes."

Past me had a lot of good points really.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I feel the Ghost gyms are a let down as there are some nasty ghost/combo pokemon out there that will curb stomp you if you have the wrong team
    I like Valerie
    I liked her look and gym in X but by the time I faced her I knew ghosts and poison ruin fairy pokemon

I finished off alpha sapphire and picked up my moon playthrough from where I left off. I dont remember what real life thing got in the way that led to me putting moon down. But I genuinely forgot that I was only halfway through the game.

I also didnt remember what team I was trying to use (Im the kinda person who likes to plan it all out in advance). Thankfully im also the sort of person who jots things down into notepad files, and I found my old one. My favorite note here is "Mudbray: Early game. - Scratch that, mudbray is dope, bring to endgame." God only knows what happened to require that note addition, but hey who am I to argue with my past self.

Also on the list "Dhelmise - Ghost anchors are cool." "Vikavolt - its a bug with a railgun for a face!" "Kommo-o - He's a dragon who punches people, heck yes."

Stamina is really, really good.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I have been hearing mixed things as to whether there is a new mystery not-part-of-the-151 pokemon in Let's Go somewhere, or if that was a rumor about the pokemon that comes with the pokeball controller before it was revealed that that would be Mew.

BahamutZERO.gif

Stamina is really, really good.

I had to go look that up. I think I remember what happened now. I caught a mudbray because I really wanted a ground type pokemon, and then right afterwards there's a rival battle? And im pretty sure I sent out mudbray to see what it could do and it just wrecked his pokemon because it ended up with a bajillion defense and his pokemon couldnt hurt it.

• TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    I have been hearing mixed things as to whether there is a new mystery not-part-of-the-151 pokemon in Let's Go somewhere, or if that was a rumor about the pokemon that comes with the pokeball controller before it was revealed that that would be Mew.

It's not the Mew, it's a brand new pokemon and it has something to do with the Go connectivity.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Friends lists and trading hit Pokemon Go today? I think I might need to jump back in. Here's my code

This discussion has been closed.