As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stories about Intersections - Driving Storytime Thread

Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud FatherHouse GardenerRegistered User regular
edited June 2018 in Social Entropy++
Howdy SE++,

With our diverse community, there are lots of forumers who drive cars, bikes, and all manner of vehicles.
If you do, you are sure to encounter some interesting peers on the road.
Heck, even pedestrians encounter oddities out there.
This is a thread for discussing all the fun scenarios one might encounter on the way to school / work / etc.

I'll start off with my experience this morning.
I happened to be waiting to make a right turn, on a busy intersection, aided with traffic lights.

Now normally at these intersections, you might not wait for a green turn arrow/light
and go ahead and make a right turn if you had easy visibility and knew there was no clear traffic.

I encountered an interesting lady who decided she didn't need,
1.) Visibility
2.) Green Turn Arrows or Green Light
3.) No Cars in front of her

Her decision was to honk her horn, and then when they didn't see any reaction,
(presumably she wanted me to suicide into traffic on a red light with no arrows for her)
, finally decided to dangerously drive between my car and my neighbors into straight into cross traffic.

Thankfully everyone reacted and slowed down for this "interesting" driver.
There was a nice conversation to be had, with rolled down windows at the block down the road,
as sure enough, there was a string of red lights and intersections down the road, she turned on.

Several comments of
"Lady that was incredibly dangerous!"
"Hey! you almost hit me, Never do that again!"
with unrolled windows

To her
"They weren't turning!"

Ultimately, no time was saved by their shenanigans, and they found an awkward moment around a bunch of ticked off peers.
I generally try to be humble on the road, as heck we've all done dumb stuff.

That's my story, What sort of drivers have y'all encountered?
Feel free them to share here.

VayBJ4e.png
Virgil_Leads_You on

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    I've done a lot of driving and seen a lot of weird stuff, but one of the stand-outs was the time I passed an overturned Buick on the freeway. It was positioned almost perfectly in the left-most lane (like, if it were right-side up in would have been driving right down the lane), not much debris in the road, there were no people in or around the car, no police officers or other emergency personnel, no other stopped vehicles, no tracks in the median, just the overturned Buick. I don't even remember any notable tire marks or anything like that on the road.

It was a clear, reasonably warm morning so weather wasn't a factor in the accident (this was in Michigan so in the winter this wouldn't be as weird). I cannot to this day figure out how the car ended up upside down without digging into the median or hitting another car.

• Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    I'm a bus driver in the 2nd largest city in the UK, so I've seen my fair share of driving retardation. My biggest pet peeve is the mexican standoff situation at a roundabout, when traffic approaching from every lane stops dead and just stares at everyone else expecting another to make the first move.

In my younger and more reckless days when I owned a motorcycle, I was following a driver of a convertible Audi A3 up to the intersection leading onto a busy shopping street - the road we're on is left turn only for everything except buses, and there is a pedestrian controlled crossing immediately after our turn left.

The lights were red and pedestrians were beginning to cross as this colossal douche just blew through the intersection and over the crossing without so much as slowing down. I don't care what you're driving, a motorcycle will beat it in acceleration, and as soon as the road cleared and the lights turned back green I opened up my throttle, positioned myself alongside the dude, and clapped him around the back of the head with my heavily-gloved hand.

Gaining a PCV license has made me a far more chill driver, much to the relief of my passengers :P

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    A post from last year:
    chromdom wrote: »
    Travelogue: When I Almost Ate A Bear.

Oregon, Highway 84, heading east. I just left a rest stop between Pendleton and LaGrande. Passing a pick-up with a trailer. I'm in the fast lane, truck's in the slow lane.
    The barrier to the westbound traffic is cement k-rails, can't see through them, and in my Subaru Impreza, can't see over them. I notice an amorphous dark shape billowing over the traffic divider.
    'Shit, even out here, people throw bags of trash and leave them for...'
    That's when I notice that the bag has a leg. And a snout.
    "That's a bear!" I say in a voice to make any 5 year old proud. The bear pulls itself over the cement block and gallops (as much as anything that ambles like that can gallop) across the highway..
    Standing on the break, I let out an "Oh shit!" I can tell I will miss the bear easily. Or I would, if the bear doesn't get hit by the truck. The other driver tries to stop, to swerve, but there is nowhere to go. The bear instinctively pulls up, and I think, I *think*, boops its snoot on the back corner of the trailer.
    It pivots, swiveling back into my lane, and this is where I think I'm about to eat a bear. With extra windshield, for that satisfying crunch!
    My breaking fortunately gave the bear time to finish its 360 with flourish, and it bolts across to the safety of the hills.
    I catch up to the truck driver, and we give each other looks and waves of disbelief and congratulations for all parties escaping unharmed.
    Except for maybe a bear snoot and its pride.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    jgeis wrote: »
    I've done a lot of driving and seen a lot of weird stuff, but one of the stand-outs was the time I passed an overturned Buick on the freeway. It was positioned almost perfectly in the left-most lane (like, if it were right-side up in would have been driving right down the lane), not much debris in the road, there were no people in or around the car, no police officers or other emergency personnel, no other stopped vehicles, no tracks in the median, just the overturned Buick. I don't even remember any notable tire marks or anything like that on the road.

It was a clear, reasonably warm morning so weather wasn't a factor in the accident (this was in Michigan so in the winter this wouldn't be as weird). I cannot to this day figure out how the car ended up upside down without digging into the median or hitting another car.

One of those spit take moments.
    I bet whatever happened caused someone nearby some fright!

Virgil_Leads_You on
    VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm back in boston, so all my road stories are "hey on the way to work this morning I nearly got hit by a car four times" x every single day of the week because apparently Boston drivers put on blindfolds before getting behind the wheel.

Really missing the well-maintained road infrastructure and polite driving attitudes of south west Africa right now.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    tynic wrote: »
    I'm back in boston, so all my road stories are "hey on the way to work this morning I nearly got hit by a car four times" x every single day of the week because apparently Boston drivers put on blindfolds before getting behind the wheel.

Really missing the well-maintained road infrastructure and polite driving attitudes of south west Africa right now.

Having grown up here I can tell you in all honesty that Pittsburgh and North Carolina are both worse. I frequently genuinely feared for my life on the highway in North Carolina.

edit: if we're being honest though most drivers in the States are bad because driver's ed in the States is a complete joke and recertification is just a written exam.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    dammit I edited instead of posting

un-do version:
    3clipse wrote: »

Having grown up here I can tell you in all honesty that Pittsburgh and North Carolina are both worse. I frequently genuinely feared for my life on the highway in North Carolina.

edit: if we're being honest though most drivers in the States are bad because driver's ed in the States is a complete joke and recertification is just a written exam.

I cycle in the US, so I don't think I'd be on a highway in any Carolina on a bike
    Bad news about Pittsburgh though, I'm partway through a job application there

tynic on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Well I cycle, and I don't think I'd be on the highway in any Carolina on a bike.
    That's bad news about Pittsburgh though, I'm halfway through a job application process there.

Oooooh cycling. Yeah that's a whole other story. Boston and Cambridge are fucking terrifying places to be on a bike. North Carolina's actually kind of okay because it has a weird number of bike lanes (at least where I lived in the triangle).

But yeah you'll want to be careful in Pittsburgh. Drivers there don't really understand the concept of stopping at the stop-line at an intersection rather than in the crosswalk. I know people in PGH who bike all over and they've never had an issue, it just might be slightly pucker-inducing. Good city for motorcycling if that's your thing, though. Lots of people there own one and actually know how to drive around them.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    jgeis wrote: »

One of those spit take moments.
    I bet whatever happened caused someone nearby some fright!

I once witnessed an accident like that. It was a four-lane road, mid-morning, good visibility on a nice sunny day, but dude was going way too fast around a bend, lost control, veered slightly towards the wrong side of the road, overcorrected onto the other side of the road, rode up the embankment and flew through the goddamn air while slowly flipping, car landed on its roof.

No brake marks because it all happened much too fast, he probably didn't even hit the brakes till he was airborne. If the car wasn't lying there smoking lightly you wouldn't have known anything had happened.
    Amazingly, he survived and seemed unharmed. Killed his dog though.

tynic on
  • Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Also there are people who can't even handle stopping behind a car, much less a stop-line.
    It's a potentially frightful situation anytime you need to trust drivers around ya.
    At least that's been my experience walking around cities.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    Hey @tynic I heard a thing one time, maybe you can confirm, maybe it could be helpful?
    Boston drivers, I have been told, do not give a fuck about pedestrians and will happily mow them down; but they do car about their cars, and carrying a metal-tipped umbrella in front of you will ward them off because they don't want their paint scratched.
    Is this a thing you've heard of? I heard it years ago, and now that I type it out, I think I may have mentioned it once before.

• Options
    Hey @tynic I heard a thing one time, maybe you can confirm, maybe it could be helpful?
    Boston drivers, I have been told, do not give a fuck about pedestrians and will happily mow them down; but they do car about their cars, and carrying a metal-tipped umbrella in front of you will ward them off because they don't want their paint scratched.
    Is this a thing you've heard of? I heard it years ago, and now that I type it out, I think I may have mentioned it once before.

Nah. If anything Boston/Cambridge drivers are used to people just walking out into traffic. It's kind of a thing here.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    are we not supposed to put blindfolds on when we drive?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    That sounds like good advice.
    There's at least more pressure of a bubble and some visibility around an umbrella.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018

I have not heard that, no, but a metal umbrella wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, just as a buffer.
    They are actually ok about pedestrians, mostly, just really really bad about bikes. I think there's some kind of invisibility shield generated by anything on two wheels. Neal Stephenson had a whole thing in Zodiac about the best practise in Boston being to ride like everyone on the road was actively hunting you down and trying to kill you. I thought it was a funny exaggeration until I moved here.

The one I'm still gritting my teeth about was a guy stopped in a t-junction who turned as I was passing, didn't halt until I literally banged on his hood and shouted because he was basically driving into me, then zoomed off - and fucking paused further up the road and waited for me to catch up so he could shout "You should be more careful!"

Even thinking about it raises my blood pressure. I need to carry some tear gas to lob into peoples windows on occasions like that.

tynic on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    My most recent car story was an accident on a 2 lane rural highway running along a steep hillside. I wasn't driving but we came around a blind curve to find an overturned car that had clearly drifted off the side of the road just right to cause the right wheels to go up the hillside and make the car do a perfect roll over onto its back blocking the lane on the uphill side.

The driver was luckily not visibly injured other than bruising from the seatbelt and the shock of the accident, but it was a real dangerous spot due to traffic and the accident being hidden until you were right on top of it by the hill. We put flares back around the turn and then a trucker came by and stopped traffic coming in the other direction and called in the accident on his radio, which was extremely helpful since there wasn't any cell coverage there. The moral of the story is that truckers are pretty reliable in road accident situations.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    My most recent car story was an accident on a 2 lane rural highway running along a steep hillside. I wasn't driving but we came around a blind curve to find an overturned car that had clearly drifted off the side of the road just right to cause the right wheels to go up the hillside and make the car do a perfect roll over onto its back blocking the lane on the uphill side.

The driver was luckily not visibly injured other than bruising from the seatbelt and the shock of the accident, but it was a real dangerous spot due to traffic and the accident being hidden until you were right on top of it by the hill. We put flares back around the turn and then a trucker came by and stopped traffic coming in the other direction and called in the accident on his radio, which was extremely helpful since there wasn't any cell coverage there. The moral of the story is that truckers are pretty reliable in road accident situations.

Glad it worked out and that you and this trucker was around to be the heroes we needed to keep things safe.
    Seriously, good job. Lot of folk drop the ball on these types of situations.

I guess thinking about this discussion, I realize that a Driving Storytime Thread isn't just a thread for laughing off weird situations,
    but also potentially a space for discussing dangerous and impact moments.
    A space for serious experiences as well as hopeless shaking our fists in the air at silly folk.
    I hope all can respect that going forward despite my more irreverent introduction.
    I appreciate y'all sharing your stories.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular

I have not heard that, no, but a metal umbrella wouldn't be the worst idea in the world, just as a buffer.
    They are actually ok about pedestrians, mostly, just really really bad about bikes. I think there's some kind of invisibility shield generated by anything on two wheels. Neal Stephenson had a whole thing in Zodiac about the best practise in Boston being to ride like everyone on the road was actively hunting you down and trying to kill you. I thought it was a funny exaggeration until I moved here.

The one I'm still gritting my teeth about was a guy stopped in a t-junction who turned as I was passing, didn't halt until I literally banged on his hood and shouted because he was basically driving into me, then zoomed off - and fucking paused further up the road and waited for me to catch up so he could shout "You should be more careful!"

Even thinking about it raises my blood pressure. I need to carry some tear gas to lob into peoples windows on occasions like that.

And people wonder why some cyclists will gladly kick their wing mirror off if they get too close to them...

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    I drive a delivery truck for a living (Isuzu NPR, for reference), and discovering r/idiotsincars has been a very cathartic experience.

Then I stumbled across r/dashcamvids and now I never want to drive again

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Most interesting driving story I have in recent memory is the time I was making a left-turn on a green arrow and destroyed the skateboard of the idiot pedestrian who materialized from the darkness trying to ride across. Pedestrian was fine, near as I can tell, since he decided to go for a walk when I made the call to the police and was gone by the time they arrived. Ambulance found the guy and he declined any medical treatment so the cop basically just checked the front of my car, noted the distinct lack of any pedestrian imprints on it, and gave me a piece of paper along with directions to call my insurance company the next day to give them the file number on it.

Ended up being really simple and I was found not at fault, so nothing really happened, but for the initial incident my heart was racing and I'm pretty sure I was shaking.

I should get a dashcam though. If just for peace of mind.

• Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    People can't be trusted to operate vehicles and I can't wait for self driving cars to take over.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I'm just imagining the plot of the terminator movies except instead of humanoid robots taking over the world and being sent back in time to assassinate resistance leaders, it's autonomous cars

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    NW North Carolina, where I lived last, has the Blue Ridge Parkway. Which is super popular with cyclists. It should not be! There are no bike lanes, hell there are basically no shoulders on the road for large stretches.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    I looked up Blue Ridge Parkway, and man that seems like a really pretty drive. I can see why they would advertise it as a tourist attraction.
    Then again, I've done a lot of driving through the neighboring region of Appalachia Tennessee for work, and boy that can be stressful.
    I'm guessing there are a lot less stony cliffsides/vistas.

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    in my experience the roads that are popular for bicycle touring are the ones through scenic areas rather than the ones that are not a problem for cars passing them

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    An experience a couple minutes ago reminded me of how much I hate motorcyclists who think they rule the road and that things like speed limits and oncoming traffic do not apply to them. Was making some turns on a curvy road with lots of blind spots and the jackass going 20-30 MPH faster than me went into the wrong lane (I'm on the outside lane) just so he didn't have to slow down as he curved the road inside with me so close to my car I could have reached out and smacked the helmet right off his brainless skull. He then proceeded to immediately pull in front of my car so he could turn right onto another street, again without slowing down at all.

Madican on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Watched a dude on foot run across 6 or so lanes of 60 mph rush hour interstate traffic today and somehow not die.

So that's a thing.

rhylith on
  • Options
    I love when people crowd out of a green light and block an intersection. Especially one that doesn't clear up for another change of the lights.

Which only exacerbated the issue, since now the lane oncoming lanes weren't moving (since a side street pulled out and blocked them) and the lane I was in couldn't move because a person up ahead was turning left and they were blocked out from the next intersection.

It took about 3 minutes of people figuring out why the person in front of them was backing up to clear enough space to resolve the situation. Which also could've been completely avoided by people not blocking the intersection too.

Tonight was rough.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    bowen wrote: »
    I love when people crowd out of a green light and block an intersection. Especially one that doesn't clear up for another change of the lights.

Which only exacerbated the issue, since now the lane oncoming lanes weren't moving (since a side street pulled out and blocked them) and the lane I was in couldn't move because a person up ahead was turning left and they were blocked out from the next intersection.

It took about 3 minutes of people figuring out why the person in front of them was backing up to clear enough space to resolve the situation. Which also could've been completely avoided by people not blocking the intersection too.

Tonight was rough.

It's kind of amazing how many people seem to think that so long as the light is green they can move into the intersection when there is no clear path for them to make their turn or get out of the intersection before the light turns red. Hanging around in the middle of the intersection during a red light trying to turn left is pretty illegal but that don't stop 'em.

• Options
    eh I think most of the time it's just an honest mistake, your attention is not fully on driving, your brain's on autopilot, you see the light turn green so you start to pull forward as has been trained into you by the thousands of lights you've stopped at in your life and then notice whoops you can't finish crossing a moment later but it's too late, you're halfway into the intersection and the cars behind you have all pulled up because they can't see the situation past the lead car and now you're stuck.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Yeah I've definitely done it because there should be plenty of room but the 4 people in front of me leave like 18 car lengths of space between them than I would expect them to do and no one waits for a car to clear an intersection before they go in those situations.

But there was absolutely no room for those people to merge like they did, it was pretty obvious 1, maybe 2, cars could scoot in but 5 tried to do it. And then the last 3 tried to do that thing where they over turn onto the shoulder to see if they can make it (they couldn't).

• Options
    a comedy of driving errors

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    rhylith wrote: »
    Watched a dude on foot run across 6 or so lanes of 60 mph rush hour interstate traffic today and somehow not die.

So that's a thing.

He was probably in a hurry to buy a lottery ticket

Edit: oh man, that talk of green light crowding made me remember the one intersection I hate the most on my route.

So there's a busy intersection where my bus has to turn left into a shopping district with high foot traffic. The cars are not the problem with this intersection. The light will be turn green for 8-12 seconds before cycling through to the other direction, and then back to pedestrian crossing (and it will always stop all traffic for pedestrian crossing because there are people forever hitting the button to cross)

In the UK, our crossings will change lights to red, and then an audible beeping will begin to signal to blind pedestrians that it's now safe to cross. Every single person waits for the beeping to start before actually crossing despite their functioning eyes telling their brains that the cars have already come to a stop well beforehand.

You'd think people conditioned to this Pavlovian behaviour would stop crossing after the beeping ends. Hell no they don't.

What kills me the most about this particular shopping district is that there is a large amount of elderly people there. And they are the worst perpetrators when it comes to crossing the road after the beeping has already ended, signalling that the lights are about to turn green again. And they're so goddamned slow that they've turned back to red by the time they've gotten to the other kerb.
    RageFace.png

EvmaAlsar on
    6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I drive a delivery truck for a living (Isuzu NPR, for reference), and discovering r/idiotsincars has been a very cathartic experience.

Then I stumbled across r/dashcamvids and now I never want to drive again

Highest of high fucking fives for the NPR, bloody good little trucks!

• Options
    Madican wrote: »
    An experience a couple minutes ago reminded me of how much I hate motorcyclists who think they rule the road and that things like speed limits and oncoming traffic do not apply to them. Was making some turns on a curvy road with lots of blind spots and the jackass going 20-30 MPH faster than me went into the wrong lane (I'm on the outside lane) just so he didn't have to slow down as he curved the road inside with me so close to my car I could have reached out and smacked the helmet right off his brainless skull. He then proceeded to immediately pull in front of my car so he could turn right onto another street, again without slowing down at all.

Ah. A future organ donor. Otherwise known as "squid"s, because Stupid QUick Inevitably Dead takes too long to say, and beloved by people who home-build off-road buggies because Hayabusa motors are expensive as hell to buy new, but pulled out of a near-new wrecked bike? Quite cheap!

• Options
    I always thought it was because how they ink the roads.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    When I was in high school, the bus would drop a bunch of us off at a particular intersection. We then had to cross the street to get where we were going. This wasn't a terribly busy street or anything, but there was no crosswalk, and most of the time we had to wait a few minutes for traffic to clear from both sides at the same time.

Sometimes some kind soul would notice the gaggle of teenagers shivering on the sidewalk and stop to wait for us to cross, which I kind of hated because often as not they'd sit there and wave at us while cars kept driving past in the other lane.

One day, a driver in the far lane (US, so moving right to left from our perspective) stopped to let us cross. The near lane was clear, so we waved thank-you and took the opportunity. I was at the front of the group, and just as I cleared the far side of the stopped car, some idiot coming up behind them decided to illegally pass on the right while barely slowing down. Their driver's side mirror missed me by inches.

I hope I scared them as much as they did me. They didn't stick around to ask.

• Options
    CalicaCalica Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    I always thought it was because how they ink the roads.

I heard the term "meat crayon" once. It's certainly... evocative.

• Options
    Calica wrote: »
    When I was in high school, the bus would drop a bunch of us off at a particular intersection. We then had to cross the street to get where we were going. This wasn't a terribly busy street or anything, but there was no crosswalk, and most of the time we had to wait a few minutes for traffic to clear from both sides at the same time.

Sometimes some kind soul would notice the gaggle of teenagers shivering on the sidewalk and stop to wait for us to cross, which I kind of hated because often as not they'd sit there and wave at us while cars kept driving past in the other lane.

One day, a driver in the far lane (US, so moving right to left from our perspective) stopped to let us cross. The near lane was clear, so we waved thank-you and took the opportunity. I was at the front of the group, and just as I cleared the far side of the stopped car, some idiot coming up behind them decided to illegally pass on the right while barely slowing down. Their driver's side mirror missed me by inches.

I hope I scared them as much as they did me. They didn't stick around to ask.

Yeah some girl got killed by a tractor trailer driver up where I used to live because the bus never stuck around after it dropped you off and she had to cross a busy road.

It just so happened he was going 60 in a 45 and the girl was something like 7 so she probably wasn't very good at determining that. She died from it. I think that's one of the big things in NYS that forced lawmakers to make it illegal to not only pass buses that were stopped with their lights but also that buses had to wave children over once it was safe. I don't know if this is a federal law but the troopers absolutely do not fuck around in NY with buses and their lights.

The only thing that gets me is there's this light over here with a lady who is a daycare and their driveway is like in the middle of the intersection and it causes the worst traffic jam in the world in the morning as it blocks 3 lanes of traffic for like 3 turns of the light (and impacts the two other main arterial roads that are within a stone's throw).

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Oh-kay, here's the situation
    My parents went away on a week's vacation and
    They left the keys to the brand new Porsche
    Would they mind?
    Umm, well, of course not
    I'll just take it for a little spin
    And maybe show it off to a couple of friends
    I'll just cruise it around the neighborhood
    Well, maybe I shouldn't
    Yeah, of course I should
    Pay attention, here's the thick of the plot
    I pulled up to the corner at the end of my block
    That's when I saw this beautiful girlie girl walking
    I picked up my car phone to perpetrate like I was talking
    You should've seen this girl's bodily dimensions
    I honked my horn just to get her attention
    She said, "Was that for me?"
    I said, "Yeah"
    She said, "Why?"
    I said, "Come on and take a ride with a helluva guy"
    She said, "How do I know you're not sick?
    You could be some deranged lunatic"
    I said, "see'mon toots - my name is the Prince =
    Beside, would a lunatic have a Porsche like this?"
    She agreed and we were on our way
    She was looking very good and so was I, I must say - word
    We hit McDonald's, pulled into the drive
    We ordered two Big Macs and two large fries with Cokes
    She kicked her shoes off onto the floor
    She said, "Drive fast, speed turns me on"
    She put her hand on my knee, I put my foot on the gas
    We almost got whiplash, I took off so fast
    The sun roof was open , the music was high