As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX West 2018 Badges available now!

13»

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    Redtail wrote: »
    Another Oregonian hit by the sales tax. It's not a make-or-break but still a touch jarring to pay an extra 20 on my order.

Same, Oregonian, I got hit with sales tax. Like you said, not make or break, but it annoyed me at the time.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • HalseySpartan2HalseySpartan2 Quality Assurance Engineer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    HalseySpartan2 was warned for this.
    I got a badge for all four days!!

mod edit: removed oversized embed
    https://i.imgur.com/GYqRGBU.jpg

zerzhul on
    SHwjM12.png
  • DoctorNinja911DoctorNinja911 Registered User new member
    My group accidentally double purchased. Is there a way to return duplicate badges?

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Is there only mondays left? Wtf man...

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    mod removed.

zerzhul on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • midnamidna Greater Seattle AreaRegistered User regular
    Is there only mondays left? Wtf man...

Mondays are actually not all bad. The crowds are substantially less, and even though some merch will be sold out, some places are willing to give you a discount, on account of it being the last day and all. My husband really dislikes big crowds but likes PAX, so we go together on Monday.

5q5sdsqaqnv0.png

[ ] Badges [ ] time off [ ] cosplay

• BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    Bobcats acquired! Was a bit weird seeing the sqli error and a 'service' unavailable error twice before getting into the queue, but it ended up working. Odd this year, tho, I got charged sales tax, don't recall that happening before. Only difference for me was that I was on my phone, which often shows up as being in Washington via IP location services, vs being at my desktop.

I was also charged a sales tax.... I emailed Reed POP asking about this as I am not sure it is legal. I live in Oregon, and they are shipping the badges to Oregon, and we have no sales tax, therefore they cannot charge me sales tax.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • SkeloticSkelotic Registered User regular
    Bluemeane wrote: »
    Bobcats acquired! Was a bit weird seeing the sqli error and a 'service' unavailable error twice before getting into the queue, but it ended up working. Odd this year, tho, I got charged sales tax, don't recall that happening before. Only difference for me was that I was on my phone, which often shows up as being in Washington via IP location services, vs being at my desktop.

I was also charged a sales tax.... I emailed Reed POP asking about this as I am not sure it is legal. I live in Oregon, and they are shipping the badges to Oregon, and we have no sales tax, therefore they cannot charge me sales tax.

I don't know how accurate it is (worth the email to check), but people on Reddit are claiming it is a 5 percent King County Event Admission Tax, and not actually a sales tax. If that's the case I feel it probably should have been labeled better.

jokfidrftcm4.png

• RavenHuskyRavenHusky Registered User regular
    Skelotic wrote: »
    Bluemeane wrote: »

I don't know how accurate it is (worth the email to check), but people on Reddit are claiming it is a 5 percent King County Event Admission Tax, and not actually a sales tax. If that's the case I feel it probably should have been labeled better.

It being an admission tax is likely the case.

https://www.seattle.gov/special-events-office/handbook/admission-tax

Just as stupid as the recently passed head tax.

tw787Xr.png

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2018
    My group accidentally double purchased. Is there a way to return duplicate badges?
    email pax_questions@paxsite.com
    the policy is no refunds, but they might help you out.

zerzhul on
  • plktsplkts Mr. Vancouver Registered User regular
    Seems like this year the tickets took longer to sell.

• RiDERiDE the WORST! Hotel CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    I keep coming here even though I know I already bought tickets; I think it's some kind of anxiety induced obsessive compulsive behavior thing

"Try, try again. Then quit. There's no use being a damned fool about it."
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    plkts wrote: »

Yes and no. Saturday was a tad faster. Sunday a tad slower. Friday was longer than the last 5 years put together. And Monday isn't sold out yet (which nobody expects it to be since it took almost 50 days to sell out in 2017) so we can't say anything there yet.

This is a plot of all the sellout times we have for West. Monday this year is showing what it would be if it didn't sell out at all.
    62vw0keovjqk.png

So if you just talk averages, it has been slower this year. But I think that hides the fact demand for Saturday and Sunday is pretty much unabated, but people are choosing not to buy all 4 days as much.

Yeah I think the large takeaway is that it's more likely that people are going for fewer days, which is a good thing for availability and having more unique people get to attend a pax.

Is there somewhere around PAX (within a few blocks) where I can rent a locker/storage? I would ideally like to accomplish the following: ride the LR into Seattle (thus avoiding the hot mess that is Seattle driving/parking), do a cosplay, change into normal clothes later and eat a lunch I brought (because I am el cheapo); all without dragging around a large rucksack.

It would need to be big enough to store some civilian clothes, two pairs of sneakers (one pair is a men's) and some food

• ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    RiDE wrote: »
    Is there somewhere around PAX (within a few blocks) where I can rent a locker/storage?

Have you ever though about doing a day share with someone or a group? I did it one year at East and it worked out great, I only went to the room to freshen up and take naps (as needed), but didn't stay the night. There was another couple and a guy that stayed over.

It would be a great way to store your stuff, change, and still be close by. Just a thought for when the room share thread goes up.

Have you ever though about doing a day share with someone or a group?

I didn't even know that was a thing, I'll definitely look into it. Thanks!

• plktsplkts Mr. Vancouver Registered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    plkts wrote: »

Yes and no. Saturday was a tad faster. Sunday a tad slower. Friday was longer than the last 5 years put together. And Monday isn't sold out yet (which nobody expects it to be since it took almost 50 days to sell out in 2017) so we can't say anything there yet.

This is a plot of all the sellout times we have for West. Monday this year is showing what it would be if it didn't sell out at all.
    62vw0keovjqk.png

So if you just talk averages, it has been slower this year. But I think that hides the fact demand for Saturday and Sunday is pretty much unabated, but people are choosing not to buy all 4 days as much.

Cheers!

• Chef_Koji49Chef_Koji49 Registered User new member
    So I haven't been to Pax for close to a decade. Bought my ticket for Monday Only on May 31st because the rest of the days were SOLD OUT. Were the other days open to early sale for previous year attendants? Or was I just too slow?

• KopeAceticKopeAcetic Registered User regular
    So I haven't been to Pax for close to a decade. Bought my ticket for Monday Only on May 31st because the rest of the days were SOLD OUT. Were the other days open to early sale for previous year attendants? Or was I just too slow?

All tickets go on sale as soon as the tweet goes out and not a moment before. Once they're sold out they're sold out, but stay tuned because they always put tickets back up for sale later.

edited June 2018

Starting in about 2014, you've really had to be ready when badges went live or you probably wouldn't get all of them. Look at my earlier post in this thread to see a plot of just how much faster the sellout is than it was in the past.

The good news is these days the secondary market is pretty fair and generally nobody has trouble getting badges for any day at pretty much face value. I'd check out Reddit's PAXPassExchange.

YoungFrey on
  • DruidsFlameDruidsFlame Registered User regular
    KopeAcetic wrote: »

All tickets go on sale as soon as the tweet goes out and not a moment before. Once they're sold out they're sold out, but stay tuned because they always put tickets back up for sale later.

Almost correct. When purchasing PAX Dev tickets they were given the option to Purchase one set of tickets, and if they are still doing the PAX club thing maybe some were sold for that as well.

But for the most part, yeah they just sold out THAT quick ;)

sEf3HzW.png
    PAX PRIME 2018 Status: Badges [√] Room [√] Waiting [ :x ]
    PoGo Trainer Code:4505 8413 2232

To clarify this, reclaimed badges from sales that break the ToS go back up for sale later.

• sicsonicsicsonic Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »

To clarify this, reclaimed badges from sales that break the ToS go back up for sale later.

What's happening with that this year? Do they usually do it this close to the event? I thought it was closer to the initial sale of badges.

It may have been done already, or it may be yet to come, or it may not be done at all. No way to tell in advance as they do not announce it.

• sicsonicsicsonic Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    It may have been done already, or it may be yet to come, or it may not be done at all. No way to tell in advance as they do not announce it.

Really? I swear I've seen it before, that's how I knew about those.

• The AviatrixThe Aviatrix Registered User regular
    They announce it on Twitter when it happens.
    They do not announce in advance when/if it will happen.

It's also possible that the they ninja released reclaimed badges for some reason (maybe not enough supply to make an announcement? Maybe Monday still being available made it screwy?)

x5XpZBK.pngEz7XjRx.pngml9Z6gf.png
    now that I think about it, I do remember the occasional "hey we're doing this later today, be ready" tweet, but I don't think anything like that is typical or indicative of future happenings.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Based on my email notification, it seems the bobcats are starting their journeys.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Whether they announce a re-sale indeed depends on how many there area (and sometimes other factors). On the extreme ends, if there were 50 they would not announce, if there were 10,000 they would.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    whypick1 wrote: »

I would think PAX_Badges would be the account to watch. But maybe they don't want to use that channel until it is to actually announce badge availability.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018