As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Phalla] Championship Nominations

• InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    @Virgil_Leads_You was the runner up, yeah?

OrokosPA.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    That's oddly specific 0_o

• Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I can participate.
    Mondays, I go to class from 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM, Central Time.
    Not sure what your time table is, but I would be happy to help out if I can

VayBJ4e.png
  • jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Bedlam wrote: »
    That's oddly specific 0_o
    Just a term the folk I work with use. Being "bus redundant" means we don't lose irreplaceable knowledge if one person becomes unavailable.
    Yeah, I can participate.
    Mondays, I go to class from 8:00 AM - 11:00 AM, Central Time.
    Not sure what your time table is, but I would be happy to help out if I can
    Awesome, thanks. Like I said, it shouldn't be necessary. Just in case. :)

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I've heard and used the bus thing too

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I picked the bus thing up from West Wing. CJ kept an "in case I get hit by a bus" folder for back up press secretaries.

Pretty standard and morbid office speak for staff redundancies.

OrokosPA.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Good Luck @jdarksun !
    Crush them beneath your spreadsheet!

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Good Luck @jdarksun !
    jdarksun wrote: »
    If only they knew the power of the Google Doc!

in b4 day 1 bandwagon

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Good Luck @jdarksun !
    jdarksun wrote: »
    If only they knew the power of the Google Doc!

in b4 day 1 bandwagon

in b4 day 1 Jdark is thrown under a bus by mafia buddies

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    Is this game happening somewhere that we can observe while it's going on?

JPants wrote: »
    Is this game happening somewhere that we can observe while it's going on?
    Mafia Universe. If you go check 'em out, be sure to read the rule thread. Of note, #5 (Do Not Discuss Ongoing Games Outside the Game) is one I'm going to have to remind myself of.

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I like rule 9a- we should adopt it

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    Might be an idea to have no discussion allowed on the meta side of substitutions, on both sides.

Don't make posts about needing substitution, etc., and don't speculate/game based on any reasons.

If you need to bail, do so privately with the host. Don't make "sorry guys, ..." as those are at best benign but often have impacts on the game and speculation.

Talk about a replace player and their actions, not about them being substituted. We usually self-correct for this as a community, since someone will bring up "hey that's not very useful speculation" in most cases. That's why I think the goodbye/busy posts of subbed players is actually more important to restrict, as it can actually poison more.

Inactivity is similar but people make excuses all the time and it is known that's part of the game. This is why inactives receive much more scrutiny, and repeat inactives got banned.

OrokosPA.png
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Infidel wrote: »
    Might be an idea to have no discussion allowed on the meta side of substitutions, on both sides.

Don't make posts about needing substitution, etc., and don't speculate/game based on any reasons.

If you need to bail, do so privately with the host. Don't make "sorry guys, ..." as those are at best benign but often have impacts on the game and speculation.

Talk about a replace player and their actions, not about them being substituted. We usually self-correct for this as a community, since someone will bring up "hey that's not very useful speculation" in most cases. That's why I think the goodbye/busy posts of subbed players is actually more important to restrict, as it can actually poison more.

Inactivity is similar but people make excuses all the time and it is known that's part of the game. This is why inactives receive much more scrutiny, and repeat inactives got banned.

What about the overlap of inactives and substitutions, where someone gets subbed and then suddenly a new role (usually a kill) starts showing up? Is it legit to speculate that the subbed player may be related to the new role?

edited June 2018
    WACriminal wrote: »

What about the overlap of inactives and substitutions, where someone gets subbed and then suddenly a new role (usually a kill) starts showing up? Is it legit to speculate that the subbed player may be related to the new role?

I think this leads into their "BE ACTIVE" rule.
    Like if people were replaced after one day of inactivity, this is no longer a problem.

discrider on
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Anyone else reading the game thread? 27 goddamn pages so far and it's day 1!

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    That thread is fascinating.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    I find they get downright nest of rats paranoid myself, but I guess that’s why I run the games rather than play these days.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I keep skimming everyone else's posts and only read Jdark's, hahah

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
    It was just about then things were looking grim for good old Jdark....

Hail Hydra
    Matev wrote: »
    It was just about then things were looking grim for good old Jdark....

This might stray too close to the "don't talk about the game outside of the game" rule. Technically that could just mean jdark but i think the spirit of the rule would mean anyone.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    THE DEAD
    Matev - Cheaters Never Prosper.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

edited June 2018
    I'm glad I didn't self nominate for that game.
    Seems like my timezone would have done me in.

That said. Echoing this:
    I find they get downright nest of rats paranoid myself, but I guess that’s why I run the games rather than play these days.

And would add it looks like what would happen if you played mafia with a room full of philosophers from the Princess Bride.
    It all seems very srs bzness

discrider on
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »
    And would add it looks like what would happen if you played mafia with a room full of philosophers from the Princess Bride.
    INCONCEIVABLE!

discrider wrote: »
    I'm glad I didn't self nominate for that game.
    Seems like my timezone would have done me in.

That said. Echoing this:

It all seems very srs bzness

I think they had lots of qualifier games so as to accommodate different TZ's

Not gonna lie here, those championship games look like whatever the opposite of fun is.

Do their regular games get in the thousands of posts after a couple of days?

Steam
    Cythraul wrote: »
    Not gonna lie here, those championship games look like whatever the opposite of fun is.

Do their regular games get in the thousands of posts after a couple of days?

This game made me realize just how much of the fun I have in these games is working with the funky mechanics. This "pure social deduction" style just doesn't look like a lot of fun, especially when everything is done over text. It's a recipe for conflict and not the fun kind (as seen several times already in 2 days of this game).

Also, if we couldn't PM, I imagine many of our games would be sky high in post count as well.

I don't think that bears out.
    The games I've hosted have not seen as much PM traffic as I expected.

Also I expect I would have fun in that game purely poking fun at the srs.
    And then getting voted out.
    And proclaimed to be 'better off dead anyway' for 'not helping the village at all'.
    Which is perhaps not a great representation.

I don't see how you play those games unless you can play at work or don't have a job, same diff. And our community seems to be one of the big oddballs for PbF mafia.

Like, back in the day, I could probably do those. Didn't get much chance the previous one since I was actually without a computer due to PAX/computer issues and was getting dumped on. :)

OrokosPA.png
    Curious as to how we are the oddballs? Is it because our games are crazier?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

It's because we have kime.

Steam
    Mostly just the format. We have far looser rules in general, most games are super creative and don't have well-known parameters, communication expectations and rules are different, etc. etc.

I don't see many/any games with mechanics outside power roles and vote?

OrokosPA.png
    Mostly just the format. We have far looser rules in general, most games are super creative and don't have well-known parameters, communication expectations and rules are different, etc. etc.

I think that's exactly it.

edited June 2018
    @jdarksun was lynched. They were: Mafia Goon.

Of course we can't discuss tho.

discrider on
  • Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular

Another forum I used to visit has a series of Paranoia themed games. Those got truely weird and has a tendency to end in "everyone dies"

Phoenix-D wrote: »

Another forum I used to visit has a series of Paranoia themed games. Those got truely weird and has a tendency to end in "everyone dies"

One of these days I’ll finally be satisfied with whatever treasonous materials I carve out for a Paranoia game, someday...

Hail Hydra

Oh, man, that sounds like a lot of fun!

One of these days I’ll finally be satisfied with whatever treasonous materials I carve out for a Paranoia game, someday...
    Can't wait dude, that would be awesome.