As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    Deathwatch 2018 update.
    Basecoloured my test marine. I wanted to keep them black/grey to not be totally not-deathwatch, and I think I'll add some admech transfers to the shoulders for some detail/colour.
    vorj840coshc.jpg

I also cut up an inceptor and underslung his dumb bolt pistols to be a little more weildly.
    4am86amabuc3.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Man, if you weren’t allowed unpainted minis our gaming club would be like two guys most nights! I enjoy painting and seeing painted guys on the table, but I’m mainly in this hobby for the game aspect and painting has zero impact on that so I run grey plastic dudes all the time.

What I can’t stand (and I’m not accusing anyone here of this but I’ve seen it commonly especially on FB groups) is people who will loudly deride others (often complete strangers) for playing unpainted, or even worse not putting ‘enough’ effort in in lack of basing or undrilled gun barrels or something.

Like this kind of gate keeping elitism isn’t how you grow a player base, plus who the fuck gives you the right to judge what I spend my leisure time on? At the extreme I’ve seen people who genuinely feel that opponents are ‘disrespecting’ them for playing unpainted against their beautiful forces. The sense of self entitlement that your opponent should have put in more hobby time and effort for the sake of you rather than themselves is pretty flabbergasting.

Anyway, rant over and thankfully an attitude I’ve only ever seen online so hopefully it’s just a product of the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory than something that manifests much face to face.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    I’ve had games where the other guy did some pursed lips passive aggressive body language, but none of them are gonna say a word about it during the game. You can expect a long post about it later though.

It’s really only a problem when your sea of grey dudes has special grey dudes mashed in with the rest so you don’t know where all the killers are. As long as you keep them visible and remind me when I’m about to accidentally hit base to base with Gorgoth the Slaughterer it’s fine.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    ToothyToothy Registered User regular
    I wonder if three colors minimum or just primer even helps the visibility of special models in those circumstances. To be honest, I've never even thought about it....this is why I like small scale games.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Prepping and painting has only ever been a pain for me with Tyranids. Imperial Guard were super fun to paint, even the always-silly Catachans, and prepping was never all that difficult either.

Tyranids are necessarily fiddly, just because of their aesthetic. But they've also got some really questionable mold lines and joins that make me wonder what the designers were thinking, lo those two decades ago.

Still, 3rd Ed biovores aside, Tyranids just have my favorite design out of all the armies.

I just wish they hadn't nixxed the crested hive tyrant design. That thing was hot shit.

• Options
    Probably because they’d end up getting sued by Fox. Old hormagaunts were literally the Aliens monsters, and the tyrants were awfully close to Queens.

• Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    I don't mind the new Tyrant (well 'new') and the flying one is a great looking model, but the little tiny head is definitely not as eye-catching as the old one.
    I've finally gotten round to repainting all my hormagaunts/genestealers (except for the very first model I ever painted, which I guess I'll keep in its 15 year old paints for the sake of posterity) and, yeah, I've gotta say if I was starting 40k now I'm not sure I would choose nids as my army, or at the very least I'd aim for a less dreary colour scheme to slap on a bunch of skittery limbs and such.

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    From painting deathguard and admech, to grabbing some 'nids, I'm really excited to not be painting metallics and random buboes/tentacles.

The uniformity of Tyranids has me stoked to start painting them.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    They're fun models, for sure, don't get me wrong! And being able to apply a consistent paint scheme across every part of your army makes for a great look on the table, it just gets a little samey when you've been painting them for so long!

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Unpainted models are a drag. I'd never refuse a game or try and shame someone or do any of that elitist crap if they were running a gray plastic army, but I have more fun when all of my models are painted and I'm playing against someone with a fully painted army as well. Even so, I still have a bunch of stuff that is in the process of being painted, or that I am avoiding painting (I still have unpainted sniper scouts that I got from the Shadow War box set that I got at launch), so I can't really complain. That said, some of the most fun games of Warhammer 40K that I have ever had have been comprised of half painted armies playing on battlefields comprised of soup cans, books, and old videogame consoles, so really it's more about attitude than anything else.

Everyone is in the hobby for different reasons, so as long as you're having fun than that's all that matters. If anyone gives you shit for not having a painted army than you have my permission to throat punch them.

I will say that when I was new playing against an unpainted army absolutely sucked. It can be hard enough to tell what is what when you have a decent level of experience under your belt, let alone when you're seeing models for the first time and they're all clumped together in a giant gray pile. I appreciate that GW has been taking steps to mitigate that a little bit, with a lot of their newer introductory sets being made up of colored plastics for each army so that you can at least easily tell the sides apart from one another.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Purple
    I absolutely don't hold it against someone for not painting, but having a fully painted set of armies on a nicely terrained table is its own thrill. It's awesome to look out over a table like that and see the battle in action with all these modeled, painted things.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Purple
    o4cc1dfxvbga.jpeg
    I dun a guardian

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Reading through the 40k Imperial Knight novels I'm really digging one of the knight houses from the book for having some cool characters and being explicitly egalitarian when it comes to men and women being Knight pilots.

Their colors are ice blue and white which should make for some striking knights on the tabletop. They are House Pegasson and, predictably, their house symbol is a Pegasus. The knight boxes come with a white horse on their transfer sheet and I am debating just using that, but do people know of any good places to buy transfers or get custom ones?

• Options
    You can get transfer paper and just print your own.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    You can get transfer paper and just print your own.

Oh awesome. Guessing my laser printer won’t work but I can always do the printing at a local shop.

• Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    Keep in mind most printers don't print white, so if you want a white design it gets fiddly.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular
    Purple
    Moved in and settled into the new house enough to paint. Getting my Wrath of Kings chumps ready for NoVA Open this year since I shamefully brought bare plastic last year.
    txTkyVN.jpg
    FfSzsRG.jpg

• Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    Guys, I'm going to start playing some Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG, and I'd like to start collecting a cadre of assorted Scum and/or Villiany to use as props for the game. Obviously the Star Wars: Legion models (Stormtroopers especially) are at the top of my list, but what other models do you recommend? Are Legion models also 28mm scale? I'd like to keep things relatively similar, though there's a bit of leeway with the variety of aliens to display, and that is my main concer: variety. I know for a fact one of my players is going to play a Wookie, and I'm not sure that a Legion model exists yet, but it would be nice to find a different one than the inevitable (and unfortantely too iconic) Chewbacca. But in general I'd like to really differenciate with a bunch of different alien & space looking guys. If you've got specific recommendations that would be great, but I'm also looking for very general ones too. I'm going to probably pick up some Necromunda minis and I'm browsing the Infinity line right now.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    NipsNips He/Him Luxuriating in existential crisis.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Purple
    Guys, I'm going to start playing some Star Wars: Edge of the Empire RPG, and I'd like to start collecting a cadre of assorted Scum and/or Villiany to use as props for the game. Obviously the Star Wars: Legion models (Stormtroopers especially) are at the top of my list, but what other models do you recommend? Are Legion models also 28mm scale? I'd like to keep things relatively similar, though there's a bit of leeway with the variety of aliens to display, and that is my main concer: variety. I know for a fact one of my players is going to play a Wookie, and I'm not sure that a Legion model exists yet, but it would be nice to find a different one than the inevitable (and unfortantely too iconic) Chewbacca. But in general I'd like to really differenciate with a bunch of different alien & space looking guys. If you've got specific recommendations that would be great, but I'm also looking for very general ones too. I'm going to probably pick up some Necromunda minis and I'm browsing the Infinity line right now.

Legion looks to be 32 mm scale, or thereabouts. Probably not a big enough difference to notice from "heroic" 28 mm scale, at least at arms length.

If you don't mind going with slightly less than amazing sculpt quality, there's the old WoTC line of prepainted plastics. They literally did just about everything you can think of in the Star Wars milieu while the had the rights. It's supposedly "34 mm scale", but honestly it's probably more like "heroic" 28 mm scale.

If you want to avoid the prepainted stuff, there was a line of metal Star Wars miniatures from waaaaay back, but then we're talking 70's/80's sculpt quality. Also probably too expensive, due to being OOP. Also probably some scale issues there (back when 25 mm scale actually meant 25 mm scale).

The stuff from FFG's Imperial Assault line always struck me as pretty good, and is also about 32 mm scale as well.

Bottom line, most everything's gonna be about the same size, unless you dig for those old Star Wars metals.

Nips on
    JXUBxMxP0QndjQUEnTwTxOkfKmx8kWNvuc-FUtbSz_23_DAhGKe7W9spFKLXAtkpTBqM8Dt6kQrv-rS69Hi3FheL3fays2xTeVUvWR7g5UyLHnFA0frGk1BC12GYdOSRn9lbaJB-uH0htiLPJMrc9cSRsIgk5Dx7jg9K8rJVfG43lkeAWxTgcolNscW9KO2UZjKT8GMbYAFgFvu2TaMoLH8LBA5p2pm6VNYRsQK3QGjCsze1TOv2yIbCazmDwCHmjiQxNDf6LHP35msyiXo3CxuWs9Y8DQvJjvj10kWaspRNlWHKjS5w9Y0KLuIkhQKOxgaDziG290v4zBmTi-i7OfDz-foqIqKzC9wTbn9i_uU87GRitmrNAJdzRRsaTW5VQu_XX_5gCN8XCoNyu5RWWVGTsjJuyezz1_NpFa903Uj2TnFqnL1wJ-RZiFAAd2Bdut-G1pdQtdQihsq2dx_BjtmtGC3KZRyylO1t2c12dhfb0rStq4v8pg46ciOcdtT_1qm85IgUmGd7AmgLxCFPb0xnxWZvr26G-oXSqrQdjKA1zNIInSowiHcbUO2O8S5LRJVR6vQiEg0fbGXw4vqJYEn917tnzHMh8r0xom8BLKMvoFDelk6wbEeNq8w8Eyu2ouGjEMIvvJcb2az2AKQ1uE_7gdatfKG2QdvfdSBRSc35MQ=w498-h80-no
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Good thing I tried the new matte varnish I got on a reserve lineelf.

Now to wait for the delivery of the marabu varnish I used before.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Purple
    How hard is it to go to the NoVA Open and play a solidly for fun game with absolutely no eye toward competitive lists? We sort of want to go, but our lists are so far away from meta that I don't want to waste time setting up minis just to get tabled turn 2.

Edit: thought I was in the 40k thread, whoops

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    And now I lost the bunch of bitz to convert my elven star players. Not a good week for the union.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    M2KB0KL.jpg

Not even close to being done cleaning off these Necron models. That is like 10% of what I got clean off.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Purple
    After weeks being too busy to paint, I managed to find some time and got the airbrush out.

Managed to basecoat 20 skitarri, a dominus and then hammer out the base colors on a dunecrawler all in one sitting. Got some basing applied and washed on some of my Death guard and just need to highlight.

Felt so good

Khraul on
    Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    tehjestertehjester Tampa, FlRegistered User regular
    Some buddies and I are starting to play Gaslands. I've got my Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars, so now it's time to start converting and painting. Where do you guys get your bits from? I've tried Hoard 'O Bits, but they don't have a lot of what I'm looking for? What have you guys got?

PSN: JesterKing13 Blizz Battletag: tehjester#1448
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    The owner of one of my FLGS has been raving about Gaslands and he showed me his awesome cars the lat time I was there. He got his bits here: http://stanjohansenminiatures.com/

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Progress on my chaos team is slow but satisfying. I've messed up blending the pinks a couple of times but the ones that hit look really nice

edit: I promise the soy sauce is not a painting material

lq2buo3jjj7t.jpg

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edit: I promise the soy sauce is not a painting material

I once told someone that they should thin their Citadel paints until they were the consistency of 2% milk and then had to explain to them that that does not mean you should thin your paints with 2% milk.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    I'm finally assembling the Deathwatch: Overkill models I have. I'm putting together the Imperial Fist fragcannon guy, Rodricus Grytt.(xxxtrem name, tm)

I'm building his fragcannon and it's late and I'm tired and I put glue in those channels where those weird rods attach, and then proceed to put the rods in upside down, coating that side in plastic glue. I flip it over. But that side is already melting and I'm scraping off glue and plastic. It's a mess.

And several of these models have delicate parts, like he has that energy cable to the fragcannon and its attached to the sprue.

Or the Dark Angel has a very delicate icon attached to some kind of ribbon dangling from his waist. That broke in half so I cut it off completely. At least I was able to salvage the cable on the fragcannon.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Painting capes is fun!
    2WcpWtc.jpg
    EA55f14.jpg

I've now got a kill-team's worth of models done except bases, so basing them all is this weekend's project

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I feel like the isopropyl alcohol isn't really cutting it for cleaning my Necrons. I might buy some simple green and see if that works better.

I so bought 2 Necron arks off of ebay. They had a card with them, mb 5 and mb 6, no idea what that means. They are a little beat up and one ghost ark has no Necrons in it and the other has some with broken legs. I need to figure out how the doomsday ark is setup and get some bases so I can attach them.

Edit: the primer doesn't seem to be really coming off of the models.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I think some of the Warrior models ‘on board’ the transport version of that are supposed to have broken bits? It’s meant to be a mobile repair bay as much as it is a transport.

As for the Doomsday Cannon, basically take the transport section, detach it from the pilot/command section at the back, and rotate it 180° about its long axis so the ‘ribs’ are pointing down. Then you have to add the actual cannon barrel bits which may not be present if you were sold the transports as-assembled, but you can fake that with polystyrene tube, bits of plasticard, and guitar strings.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    I think some of the Warrior models ‘on board’ the transport version of that are supposed to have broken bits? It’s meant to be a mobile repair bay as much as it is a transport.

As for the Doomsday Cannon, basically take the transport section, detach it from the pilot/command section at the back, and rotate it 180° about its long axis so the ‘ribs’ are pointing down. Then you have to add the actual cannon barrel bits which may not be present if you were sold the transports as-assembled, but you can fake that with polystyrene tube, bits of plasticard, and guitar strings.

The warriors being damaged cause the ghost ark can repair them makes sense.

I have the cannons for each. Only things I'm missing are the bases for each of them. The command seat isn't attached to the transport/cannon part. Between the two arks 3 of the gauss rifles are broken off, one had all the warriors setup but I cut them out, some exhaust vents (I think that is whatthey are fore) are missing on one side, and not really much else wrong with them. Only is fully primed black while the other is only half primed.

Overall all paying like $78 for two compared to like the $120-$140 for one unopened in box was a good purchase.

Is there a way to break the glue bonds on plastic units?

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

I have the cannons for each. Only things I'm missing are the bases for each of them. The command seat isn't attached to the transport/cannon part. Between the two arks 3 of the gauss rifles are broken off, one had all the warriors setup but I cut them out, some exhaust vents (I think that is whatthey are fore) are missing on one side, and not really much else wrong with them. Only is fully primed black while the other is only half primed.

Overall all paying like $78 for two compared to like the $120-$140 for one unopened in box was a good purchase.

From plastic glue?

The plastic is literally welded together, so you could hack them apart with a knife, but there's no adhesive to break or dissolve.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    KetBra wrote: »

From plastic glue?

The plastic is literally welded together, so you could hack them apart with a knife, but there's no adhesive to break or dissolve.

Damn, I'm trying to get these plastic tubes off the Necron Warriors and Destroyers.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote: »

From plastic glue?

Damn, I'm trying to get these plastic tubes off the Necron Warriors and Destroyers.

Do you mean the transparent rods? Those are more likely to be superglued in, as the standard poly cement tends to fog them up. In which case you can try freezing them to weaken the bonds. I’m not sure what (if anything) superglue de-bonder would do to the clear acrylic but you can try that too.
    Also, superglue is weak to Torsion attacks so try rolling the rods between your fingers.

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Also, superglue is weak to Torsion attacks so try rolling the rods between your fingers.
    Ywt21b4.jpg
    !

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Sorry for the totp repost but,
    Grey or Green?
    ueoa79juy1om.jpg8zk5oghc3eje.jpg

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Green

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    Incubi darkness with dark turquoise (sotekh green?) highlights would look pretty nice.

This discussion has been closed.