As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
edited February 2019 in Games and Technology
5kx5gjtj6qrh.png
Hey everybody!

It's another Xbox, console hardware and Xbox Live thread! Here we talk about never-ending sales, Play Anywhere titles, backwards compatibility, the bemoaning delay of exclusives, what happens if you don't hate cross-platform play, and how to get the most out of Game Pass! Whee!

Games with Gold
As always, for those with the paid XBL membership "Xbox Live Gold", four free titles are made available for download for limited timed--two on Xbox One (which require continued membership) and two on Xbox 360 (which are yours in perpetuity). Additionally, all Xbox 360 titles are among the backwards compatible (more on that below).

Xbox Game Pass
Like the Xbox-only service EA Access, Xbox Game Pass is Microsoft's own subscription gaming catalog service ("Netflix for video games") with over a hundred periodically rotating titles, making it attractive for digital only libraries and people who want to try first party new exclusives (which will make the rounds on the service at the time of their launch). There is no limit on how many games you can download and install from it, and access is for as long as the subscription holds--permanent purchases made from the catalog are discounted 20%, and DLC by 10% It does not require Xbox Live Gold (though you would need that for multiplayer access). Game Pass also extends to Xbox Play Anywhere games on Windows 10, just look for the separate download and purchase buttons on the Microsoft Store app.

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility with the Xbox
It's not just for the Xbox 360 anymore! In addition to more than four hundred Xbox 360 titles, more than thirty 'Original Xbox' titles are now playable on the Xbox One (both 'base' and 'X' variations), with some visual upgrades (such as resolution bumps to 1080p and beyond, not capable on the original console, and improved framerate). Most recent additions include a truckload of classic Star Wars titles, including both original Battlefront titles (the non-microtransaction ones), Republic Commando and KOTOR II. They work the same way as Xbox 360 titles and do not have additional achievements, and can be purchased from the Xbox website or played from a physical disc (break out your old libraries!). Want a list without the box art? There's one!

The Xbox E3 Briefing (10 June)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVBP6BWuDrg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6GAxUVs37c

https://youtu.be/48_RexU9hqk?t=54m53s

Individual trailer/reveal items can be found here.

Penny Arcade Forums' Game Clubs

Pax Arcadia
Arcade Squad (Gears of War series)
The Bees Knees (Halo series)

Additionally, you can find the forums Xbox Live gamertag list here, and the form to sign up here.

Synthesis on

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    just in time for E3!

• tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    nooooo! E3 posts are best left buried in the middle of these threads.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    nooooo! E3 posts are best left buried in the middle of these threads.

maybe, but you certainly don't want them carrying over the end of one thread into the start of a new one.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    just in time for E3!

That's right. We run a tight ship here in the Penny Arcade Xbox Thread.

A TIGHT ship.

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Now we can always return to the start of the thread in a few months and count how many announced games have been cancelled/delayed/were expressly not as advertised.

I think the best part of E3 is the presenters sometimes poorly masked irritation and disappointment at the reception the things that they've presented are receiving. The jokes that just don't land but you have to keep going by-golly.

Unrelated to that, I miss Aisha Tyler doing Ubisoft's presser.

edited June 2018
    I for one am a fan of expensive but ultimately meaningless material gestures at announcements. Like bringing in an actual exotic sports car for Forza, or the live mini-orchestral choir for some songs during Sony's last year. Opulence, baby!

Or, like LostNinja said, widely unrealistic promises and expectations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lcmNu7dkqY&t

Synthesis on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I like Agents of Mayhem, I found it enjoyable

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular

It's a terrible game.

OK now somebody else go.

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited June 2018
    Keith David aside, I've never been impressed with Saint's Row. I get that they're the answer to, "What if GTA isn't zany enough?", but I'm not convinced GTA isn't zany enough.

That's putting aside beating prostitutes to death with a dildo bat, which is embarrassing to the point that I would sometimes deny playing SR3.

Synthesis on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Keith David aside, I've never been impressed with Saint's Row. I get that they're the answer to, "What if GTA isn't zany enough?", but I'm not convinced GTA isn't zany enough.

That's putting aside beating prostitutes to death with a dildo bat, which is embarrassing to the point that I would sometimes deny playing SR3.

I like them because I can't stand GTA's "satire." I'm weird, I know.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Hardtarget wrote: »

It's a terrible game.

OK now somebody else go.

I never played it, but would like to for the price of $0.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I like them because I can't stand GTA's "satire." I'm weird, I know.

That's actually not a bad line of reasoning, and one I hadn't considered, since a lot of the biting satire of GTA falls flat in my experience, and the game works better as a sort of perverted time capsule than brilliant satire.

Though I guess that explains why I don't really like what I've played of SR either.

The odd thing about the satire in the GTA franchise is that it's a European satire of American culture (San Andreas was co-written by DJ Pooh though)

Whereas Saints Row is sort of American satire of American culture... of the Friedberg/Seltzer variety.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    For me, it's more like GTA is trying to Say Something while also feeling like something a C-student 8th-grader would come up with and winds up interfering with the more serious plot.

Whereas the background stuff in Saints Row feels more or less like an extension of what's going on with the characters without trying to be meaningful.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    The Microsoft rewards are actually really good if you guys aren't doing them. You just sign up and get points when you click on their little facts on the dashboard and search in bing. I do it every morning when I get to work for 2-3 minutes and I've gotten $30 in store credit in the past few months and I'll get a full year of gold soon. I can bank a year of gold every 3-4 months. I'll do that 3ish times, I guess. If you do have points, the store credit is on sale right now 25% off.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

Yeah, I don't get the hate. It wasn't a perfect game by any means, and the open world could've been better but it's a really fun game. It's the singleplayer Overwatch experience I've been wanting since Overwatch launched. Hopefully Volition gets a shot at an improved sequel, or some other studio makes a similar kind of game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    I have 18,000 or so myrewards credits, do those get converted into rewards points directly when they merge the programs?

• DirtyDirty Registered User regular

I've always found it weird how people always zero in on the whole "killing prostitutes" thing (or killing women in general) in games like GTA/SR. These are games where you can kill anyone. Cops, constructions workers, cab drivers, and random pedestrians of all races and genders. I've played quite a bit of both, and never came across a mission where I was told I had to murder prostitutes. It's a choice made by the player. You can just as easily choose not to do it.

I have 18,000 or so myrewards credits, do those get converted into rewards points directly when they merge the programs?

those credits should be deposited into your account same as ever. will just be the last time. nothing seems to carry over from Xbox Rewards to the MS Rewards.

Dirty wrote: »

I've always found it weird how people always zero in on the whole "killing prostitutes" thing (or killing women in general) in games like GTA/SR. These are games where you can kill anyone. Cops, constructions workers, cab drivers, and random pedestrians of all races and genders. I've played quite a bit of both, and never came across a mission where I was told I had to murder prostitutes. It's a choice made by the player. You can just as easily choose not to do it.

Yeah, it's an inherently disingenuous argument used by many a concern blogger. There was a point where this argument was even used for the Watch_Dogs game too.

Saints Row 3 did however require you to kidnap a pimp and at one point you were also running around naked and on drugs or something so... there is that.

the Rockstar games announced for BC last week arrive today!

Yeah, it's an inherently disingenuous argument used by many a concern blogger. There was a point where this argument was even used for the Watch_Dogs game too.

Saints Row 3 did however require you to kidnap a pimp and at one point you were also running around naked and on drugs or something so... there is that.

Don't forget "Whored Mode".

• BRIAN BLESSEDBRIAN BLESSED Maybe you aren't SPEAKING LOUDLY ENOUGHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    My half-post got baleeted when the thread got closed but I just want to say that I really, really hope that this 2-hour conference booking they have planned for E3 comes with something really substantial. I'm excited for new Forza, new Halo and potentially new Gears but I also really want Microsoft to come out with a new challenge of IP on the market like they tried a few years back but retracted back into their shell in a big way after things like Recore didn't pan out.
    This Crackdown 3 news kinda really stinks. Even if I'm excited for the usual big franchise instalments and any delay at this point is clearly a decision not made lightly, if Microsoft can't pull something big out of the bag for E3 people will just continue to run away with the narrative that Xbox has completely dropped the ball on their in-house development.

Really when it comes down to it, I want to see them take risks on their software like they did for their services and their hardware. The sentiment even opposing the doom and gloom is that the stage has been set for this brand to cash in on this constant stream of goodwill. The platform and everything around it is ready to wow us with something new and exclusive exclusive, something that doesn't just seem safe and conservative, something like a Cuphead or Ori or a We Happy Few on a bigger first-party scope/budget. Something that makes Phil Spencer go on twitter again and say "I initially thought about opening the show with this but had to give deference with our big EA/Activision marketing contract, watch this space."
    (Also completely wishful thinking, but when I hear from him talking about committing to Japnese developers, I wish it wasn't just paying lip-service to the same Bandai-Namco or Square-Enix franchises. Like literally he replies to someone that yeah they're going to commit to JRPGs on the E3 show and all I can think its "oh great so it's either the usual Final Fantasy or Dark Souls stuff, k")

We've seen the platform consistently mature into something great, but we just need the last missing pieces.

BRIAN BLESSED on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Sounds like two hours was just an estimate and Phil Spencer mentioned it's closer to an hour and 40 minutes based on their current runthroughs.

Sounds like two hours was just an estimate and Phil Spencer mentioned it's closer to an hour and 40 minutes based on their current runthroughs.

Given the announced estimations, and how long conferences actually end up taking, that sounds about right.

Also, if it wasn't apparent from the thread title--for the next ten days or so (unless the cancel it?) one month of Game Pass can be purchased, or added to an existing subscription, for $1.

Also, if it wasn't apparent from the thread title--for the next ten days or so (unless the cancel it?) one month of Game Pass can be purchased, or added to an existing subscription, for $1.

oh! that's nice. usually when they do the Gold sub for a dollar its only open to new subs.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    I don't think that's the case for Live
    **First month is $1. Promotional offer not valid for existing subscribers. After promotional period, subscription continues to be charged at the then-current regular monthly price (subject to change) plus applicable taxes, unless cancelled. Game Pass offer available in all Xbox Game Pass markets, excluding Quebec. Gold offer available in all Xbox Live markets, excluding Quebec. Limited time offer. Game Pass: Subscription required to play games; catalog varies over time.

edited June 2018
    Yeah, in retrospect, it's possible it's only for people who've let their subscriptions expire (like me). If so, doh!

Synthesis on
  • Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

I'm not gonna touch that first part because hoo boy
    But also like...there's a whole mission in SR3 where you steal a cargo container full of people being trafficed into the city, and then you can decide to free them, for some XP, or keep them as your own prostitutes for a cash bonus. Like, if that's not something to tug the collar about then I don't know what is.

But anyway:
    1. Agents of Mayhem is...fine? I picked it up for like $7 on sale a couple months back on Steam. The characters are ok and the moment-to-moment gameplay is mostly fun, but the missions are really repetitive, often making you go through randomly-generated underground lairs that all use the same assets and look exactly the same.
    2. Saints Row IV is one of my favorite games of all time, because it abandons all that """satire""" bullshit. It doesn't try to be edgy or cool or dark, it stays away from the GTA formula and it works so much better. It's just fun. Hell, they get rid of all that shit I talked about earlier vis-a-vis treatment of women and sex workers.

edited June 2018
    edit: NOPE.

tastydonuts on
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Maybe they decided to delay because of Sea of Thieves and State of Decay 2.
    That makes me wonder if they delay was partially due to timing, and since they couldn't find a time slot that worked well (not fighting with another release), they just said "Fuck it, let's push it to next year and really supe it up."

Wishful thinking, I know, but a boy can dream and hope.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Ah, final confirmation. Here's hoping for no more delays. "A game delayed is delayed, a bad game...." whatever crap.

Ah, final confirmation. Here's hoping for no more delays. "A game delayed is delayed, a bad game...." whatever crap.

Isn't that a Nintendo quote?

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Angry Face Emoji

Local H Jay on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Isn't that a Nintendo quote?

To say nothing of one that's been defied on occasion.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    Feb isn't to bad. imagine RDR2 releasing this year probably factored into the decision some too. and if there date is fixed* then that hopefully means we'll get a proper look at gameplay over the next week. maybe even a beta over the summer?

*or as fixed as it can be this far out

• chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    Crackdown 3, launching in February, with special guest Duke Nukem.