As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Washington] Politics

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Matev wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Property taxes have probably gone up because the value of seattle real estate is through the fucking roof. Like run down lots with tear down houses are worth easy million.

My friend in North Seattle with property was just lamenting the fact he keeps getting letters with ever-increasing prices to buy him out, despite him being quite pleased with his home. It’s an all right place, but I could easily see it going for more than 500k in the current market, and I despair for ever owning a home, much less being able to retire or live in Seattle like I did as late as 5 years ago.

The thing current home owners run into with regards to these ridiculous buy outs is even if we do sell, where will we live? The market is dry as a bone for houses and unless you plan on leaving to another market entirely, you effectively can't sell because the money you make in your sale will not cover a traditional home upgrade.

Like I'm being priced out of where I live because the new multi family units going up in my neighborhood are worth 4 to 5 times what my condo is worth.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    His stated plan is to hold out until it’s a bonkers buy out, and then get an apartment building to rent out to the rest of us at a reasonable price, turning it into a commune of sorts. It’s a pipe dream and we all know it, but the thought is nice.

Everything is tied up in this area for me, so leaving would be essentially trying to start completely over, and I have zero resources to move as someone living paycheck to paycheck. Unless the bubble bursts, I fear I’m doomed to the underclass along with other service types until something gives.

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    I don't think the bubble will burst, I used to think it was being propped up by lack of supply, but even with a lot of new construction going up prices aren't going down and demand for them also aren't going down. Outside of a catastrophic economic situation equivalent to 2008 but worse, Seattle is the new San Fran.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    Downsize in an up market. Upsize in a down market. This is the only way to trade real estate and come out on top.

As an aside, property tax evaluations are bonkers unfair. The lot next to me sold for 5 million a few years ago as a partial tear down and historical building preservation. It’s property tax assessment is 500k total value with 250 of that being land.

wbBv3fj.png
  • Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Didn't the democrats only recently get the senate back in state? I know for years after we had some traitor ass democrats cross the line to give the majority to the GOP we had a split house vs senate aspect. And the absolutely stupid public ballot initiatives keep screwing state financing while no one wants to pass an income tax because people rightfully suppose the only people who'd have to pay the state income tax are poor/middle class and the rich will basically be exempted out of it.

1) yes, but they caused the crisis to begin with. it was Democrats who cut state funding back during the first tech boom.

2) no ballot initiative has been limiting tax increases for like eight years.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Speaking of tech and Washington politics, Google finally follows state law on political ads:
    A spokesperson for the search giant told GeekWire, “We take transparency and disclosure of political ads very seriously, which is why we have decided to pause state and local election ads in Washington, starting June 7, while we assess the amended campaign disclosure law and ensure that our systems are built to comply with the new requirements.”

The law in question is HB 2938, which Gov. Jay Inslee signed in March. To be fair, not a lot of time has passed since Inslee approved the new disclosure laws, but Google certainly seems to have waited until the last minute to take action.

Under HB 2938, penalties for failure to comply with the state Public Disclosure Commission’s rules are increased and it creates a more strict timeline for when information about political ad-funding must be available to the public. Now that information is required at the time “the advertisement or communication has initially received public distribution or broadcast.”

It would be nice if the tech industry followed the law instead of trying to weasel around it.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Speaking of tech and Washington politics, Google finally follows state law on political ads:
    A spokesperson for the search giant told GeekWire, “We take transparency and disclosure of political ads very seriously, which is why we have decided to pause state and local election ads in Washington, starting June 7, while we assess the amended campaign disclosure law and ensure that our systems are built to comply with the new requirements.”

The law in question is HB 2938, which Gov. Jay Inslee signed in March. To be fair, not a lot of time has passed since Inslee approved the new disclosure laws, but Google certainly seems to have waited until the last minute to take action.

Under HB 2938, penalties for failure to comply with the state Public Disclosure Commission’s rules are increased and it creates a more strict timeline for when information about political ad-funding must be available to the public. Now that information is required at the time “the advertisement or communication has initially received public distribution or broadcast.”

It would be nice if the tech industry followed the law instead of trying to weasel around it.

The current crop has built their brands on weaseling and/or flat out breaking the law. See also: Amazon not charging state tax until the feds threatened to step in for the big local example.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Matev wrote: »
    It’s enough to drive a man to see what it would take to run for state office, heaven help me.

I have also considered it, but

1) I have no charisma, and

2) my skillset suggests I'm more of a support class

I suspect I'd do okay as part of a politician's staff, but that's as close as I'd want to get

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Being a pol sucks because you have to glad-hand rich assholes to get campaign donations and you can't fight the opposing party into submission by literally punching them a bunch

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    fhN7H7El.jpg

WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I need to know which candidate will raise Preacher and Aioua’s taxes specifically.

Quid on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Any opinions on Lisa Brown for Congress? I got a text and a handwritten letter from the campaign. Seems like she's pretty alright and I think pretty much anyone would be better than Cathy McMorris Rodgers, so she's basically got my vote just on the virtue of not being her. It is SE Washington, though, so I'm not too hot on her chances.

Also, is a handwritten letter a normal thing? Like, it felt weird and was almost illegible because of the cursive. Just kind of felt like a misguided use of resources.

Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    Okay I've looked inside and I need help understanding which one of the 20,000 senators running are and are not crazy.

I've ruled out Goodspaceguy so far.

Quid on
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »
    Okay I've looked inside and I need help understanding which one of the 20,000 senators running are and are not crazy.

I've ruled out Goodspaceguy so far.

Feels badspaceguy bro

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    One of these times that asshole is going to get elected because of low turnout and joke votes.

• Options
    I really hope not, but in this age, i’m less sure of the improbability of it.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    he has come disturbingly close in the past

• Options
    I had to sit on ballotpedia for a few hours to figure it all out but I done voted. Gonna be watching district 8 something fierce.

• Options
    got my ballot a week or so ago, apparently, didn't notice the lady had brought it in with the rest of the mail

am I crazy, or did we just....not have a primary for the state legislature? do I really have to vote for fucking frank chopp again?

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I thought primaries weren’t until August, maybe my calendar’s off

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    I swear we had a primary back in march, I know I voted for something in March.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    nah this is the primary, quid gets his ballot early because he's a service member and I get mine early because I used to be and KC elections doesn't fully believe me when I tell them I live in Seattle (apparently)

https://info.kingcounty.gov/kcelections/Vote/contests/candidates.aspx

says it's the primary, but like....the options for all my congressional districts are between one democrat and one republican?

• Options
    OctavianOctavian Registered User regular
    This is the primary. Also, I thought I was going crazy because I hadn't gotten my ballot yet, but it turns out King County won't even mail them out until July 18th.

PSN: TitusPullo13
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    nah this is the primary, quid gets his ballot early because he's a service member and I get mine early because I used to be and KC elections doesn't fully believe me when I tell them I live in Seattle (apparently)

says it's the primary, but like....the options for all my congressional districts are between one democrat and one republican?

Jungle primary issues? I could see there being some wrangling to keep from fucking up like the Secretary of State situation (that happened right, politics has been a blur for a while).

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    apparently dino rossi had them list his party as "GOP" which means he's technically running as a member of the Grand Ole Party Party

I'm going to be really irritated if he wins

e: he drew not one but two women doctors as his opponents, I hope they murder him electorally and ironically

Shorty on
  • Options

Jungle primary issues? I could see there being some wrangling to keep from fucking up like the Secretary of State situation (that happened right, politics has been a blur for a while).

that wouldn't explain why district eight has a thousand options, or why Maria Cantwell is one name out of like twenty

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    How bitter and broken do you think Dino Rossi is now?

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    apparently dino rossi had them list his party as "GOP" which means he's technically running as a member of the Grand Ole Party Party

e: he drew not one but two women doctors as his opponents, I hope they murder him electorally and ironically

I went with Schrier between the two of them but I’d be more than happy for either to be his opponent. Feels like there’s an actual chance of it changing.

• Options

Bitter? I’ve seen hoppy microbrews that were less bitter than Rossi at this point.

Broken? Not so much. The fact the GOPP’s trotting him out again is enough indication of that.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Quid wrote: »

I went with Schrier between the two of them but I’d be more than happy for either to be his opponent. Feels like there’s an actual chance of it changing.

I'm not in that district but of the two I'd also go with her, mainly because of her endorsements

I hope Jason rittereiser and tom cramer drop out, be a shame if the extra dems wind up spreading a plurality between them and we wind up with two republicans on the ballot again

• Options

Like a bitter fruit roll up. I wonder how hard he'll tack to Trump country considering he came out against Trump in 2016 I recall.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

I think he's too simple to feel these emotions

• Options
    really though, it seems like he might have finally picked a race he can win

judging by Dave Reichert, district 8 voters love a simpleton

it's really down to whether Rossi's brand of shifty used car salesman charm is as successful as reichert's uncle douchebag act

• Options
    really though, it seems like he might have finally picked a race he can win

judging by Dave Reichert, district 8 voters love a simpleton

it's really down to whether Rossi's brand of shifty used car salesman charm is as successful as reichert's uncle douchebag act

I dunno he's a multiple time loser, but then again looking at who is in district 8... he's a given.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I've got an aunt and uncle who live out there

aunt's no fool, she's an extremely kind and generous retired schoolteacher, and she takes enough after her dad that it wouldn't surprise me to find out she hates trump

uncle has fox news style brainworms, though; dude's a concealed carry paranoid, best case scenario is he's a non-voter

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I don't think Rossi is a given, but I do think it will be at least as close as his challenge to Patty Murray was awhile back

Shorty on
  • Options
    Rossi's slipperyness with regards to his stated positions on policy versus the vague platitudes his campaign hinges on may end up biting him in the ass in the face of a fiery and charismatic enough liberal challenger.

Absent that, he's likely to win; the 8th desperately wants to be Pleasantville. There's a liberal bent to the populace to be found, given the right candidate, but overall they don't want anyone who will rock the boat to such a degree that it upsets their rising home equity rates.

• Options
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Rossi's slipperyness with regards to his stated positions on policy versus the vague platitudes his campaign hinges on may end up biting him in the ass in the face of a fiery and charismatic enough liberal challenger.

Absent that, he's likely to win; the 8th desperately wants to be Pleasantville. There's a liberal bent to the populace to be found, given the right candidate, but overall they don't want anyone who will rock the boat to such a degree that it upsets their rising home equity rates.

As long as Darcy isn't running to give away the damn game...

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Remember: the 8th is the 8th because everyone there found the suburban wrapping of Seattle's metropolitan core to be "too cosmopolitan".

• Options
    I think Rossi chokes not just because he’s Rossi, but explicitly that he’s not Reichert and has no (dubious) accomplishments to carry him into the seat.

Hail Hydra
  • Options
    rossi is also a carpetbagger, and whoever his democratic challenger winds up being, it will be someone from the community, which might count for a lot

This discussion has been closed.