As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Android: Netrunner and Project Nisei

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Yeah, I think both "Bold." and "Nice." are also going to become references now amongst the Netrunner memesters.

Bold and nice are already commonly used bantz though? :)

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    I'm doing a little spring cleaning, is there any reason for me to hang on to the 1.0 cards/set? Are they backwards compatable in any way?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    A portion of them are still legal for tournament play , the ones that are part of the Revised Core set.

edited May 2018
    Whispers UFAQ is up.

EDIT: And there's the prize support for EU and NA Championships.

I dig the alt-art False Lead.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I was considering running a play by post game of Android (the detective on a murder case one) here using Tabletop Simulator. Would anyone be interested?

They finally posted the Regionals info.

Participation: Top 64 get Alt-art Amina
    Top 16: Purple & Orange acrylic 1c/3c tokens
    Top 8: Engolo playmat
    Top 4: Spot-glossed plastic Kabonesa Wu ID

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited May 2018
    And there's the Nationals prizes.

Top 64: Alt-art Reina
    Top 32: Tinted plastic Hayley Kaplan ID
    Top 16: Set of 12 silver advancement tokens
    Top 8: Defense Construct playmat
    Top 4: Spot-glossed plastic version of the alt-art Reina

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I'm trying a new gaming group and one of the guys there casually mentions he's bringing Netrunner this week. Apparently they got the core box years ago and just played their first game last week. As I also only have the old core box and C&C and haven't played in years due to my other stupid gaming group not being interested, I'm trying to keep a lid on my extreme excitement to possibly get to run some nets.

Clearly we're starting slow and casual and probably just old core boxing for a while but that'll do me!

Not that it particularly matters to us, but some of the original core set is now no longer 'legal' right?

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    Quite a lot of the old core set isn't tournament legal these days. Notably, Noise, Kate, HB:ETF, Accelerated Beta Test, Parasite, Medium, Account Siphon, Desperado, SanSan City Grid, Astroscript Pilot Program...

As you say, it doesn't matter for casual games.

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular
    Man 4 days to euros an no one in the community seems at all certain on decks. This is going to be crazy.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    Oh my god.

Is... Is Diversion of Funds essentially Account Siphon 2.0?

http://www.netrunnerdb.com/find/?q=diversion+of+funds

Edit: And High-Profile Target feels like Scorched Earth!

It.. it feels like the old days of my Criminal/Weyland self!

Edit 2: HOLY SHIT FALSE FLAG WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE?!

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    edited June 2018
    2018 Season 2 kit info

Top 16: Alt-art Imp (with adorable Liiga art)
    Top 4: Alt-art APEX or HB click trackers (there's two of each in the kit, and apparently the suggested way to distribute them is by choice, in order of placement starting with 1'st through 4'th)

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Oh wow, I love that there's actually five different Weyland ID's in the top 16 of Euros after Day 1.
    (Argus, Jemison, Skorpios, Titan, and BLUE SUN?)

Good luck to everyone there!

persona4celestia.jpg
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh wow, I love that there's actually five different Weyland ID's in the top 16 of Euros after Day 1.
    (Argus, Jemison, Skorpios, Titan, and BLUE SUN?)

Good luck to everyone there!

I made the cut and finished in 5/6 spot.
    I was the only person to take a game off the Blue Sun deck!

persona4celestia.jpg
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    FUCKING HELL.

I knew it. I fucking knew this would be the way the game ended.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Is anyone sure that they "lost it" and didn't "opt not to renew it"? How was the game's global presence actually faring at this point?

• ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Ughhh I'm kind of glad I've lapsed on the last cycle but now I'm wondering if I just pony up to have the complete set for all of time. I'm kind of thinking it'll just gather dust.

I dunno, I'll probably have kids some day?

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I haven’t played for nine months but it’s a sad day.

edited June 2018
    Is anyone sure that they "lost it" and didn't "opt not to renew it"? How was the game's global presence actually faring at this point?

I trust Boggs at what he said. Why would he lie?
    When I was first told Android: Netrunner was ending, I was… something. I don’t really know the name for the emotion that I was feeling. It was a mix of sadness, confusion, and nostalgia. It was weird. Maybe you’re feeling the same way.

In any case. No matter what happens I'm figuring out a way to get up to the final Worlds.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/6/8/android-magnum-opus/

Edit: Yay, boss just approved my vacation time for Worlds!

Athenor on
  • ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

it seems unlikely to me that wotc didn't make them an offer

I had been debating selling my small collection. I never really wanted to play competitively and didn't really get to play casually. I think I'll pick up the deluxes I don't have, maybe some of the other packs and keep it for "maybe someday".

My GF might like it due to the bluffing aspect...

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    We don’t know and probably won’t for a while.

Boggs feelings have little to do with what I expect would be an executive decision above his head. The article plainly states the license term was ending, and says nothing about the reasons a new license didn't happen. I'm speculating on that clear lack of note in an otherwise reflective and emotional article. Nobody is saying "We fought hard to keep it going, but in the end ..."

Fair enough. I'll try to keep an open mind about things.

I'd be surprised if it was anything other than either WotC not offering to renew or wanting to much $$$ to renew. There are other possibilities, of course, but those are my likely suspects.

Maybe WotC wants to do something with it? If they aren't going to do anything with it, at least getting SOMETHING for it would be better than nothing right, so why not renegotiate if FFG balks at the price?

Also, what exactly is licensed? As far as I know you can't copyright game mechanics right? You can copyright like, symbols and terminology and stuff. I'm just wondering what actually prevents them from keeping it rolling. They own the setting.

Probably "Netrunner" as a license and system? Someone else will definitely have the actual answer to this. But it's got to be something around that since FFG still clearly has the right and ability to make other products in the Android universe (remember - Netrunner was thrust into that and not the other way around).

Since my original message didn't really state it, I am really sorry to see the game end. Much like Bogart, I haven't played in ages, but it was a really, really good game and I never wanted to stop playing it to begin with - it just turned more into something I, and the people around me, didn't like, and ... that's kind of how you close the book on an LCG/CCG.
    RIP, old friend~

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    you can't copyright game mechanics

you can patent them, but doing so is extraordinarily difficult and I doubt any of the Netrunner stuff is patented

basically if FFG really wanted to keep making the game without a license they could, but they'd certainly have to stop calling it Netrunner, and probably some of the other terminology was licensed from wotc as well

anyway: because wotc has been interested in making more inroads to electronic markets, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that they wanted to bring Netrunner home

but again, I think what happened is that FFG didn't want to pay more for a license, and I don't blame them, tbh

rent-seeking is a shitty thing

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Guess they're hoping that L5R does well

liEt3nH.png
    I mean, Lukas *does* work at WotC now, and he's been working on a secret project.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited June 2018
    Shorty wrote: »
    you can't copyright game mechanics

you can patent them, but doing so is extraordinarily difficult and I doubt any of the Netrunner stuff is patented

basically if FFG really wanted to keep making the game without a license they could, but they'd certainly have to stop calling it Netrunner, and probably some of the other terminology was licensed from wotc as well

anyway: because wotc has been interested in making more inroads to electronic markets, it wouldn't surprise me to find out that they wanted to bring Netrunner home

but again, I think what happened is that FFG didn't want to pay more for a license, and I don't blame them, tbh

rent-seeking is a shitty thing

Excellent. Android: Netrunner is over. New, from FFG is Android: Webjogger! Now runners spend clorks to initiate jogs, install apps and gadgets, and gain kradits. Their goal? To steal plots from evil corporations!

"Clork one to jog on your recycling bin. Okay I'll make a jog on the Nerd Department then."

ChaosHat on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Well, I’m super bummed

I was just getting in deep on it and now the cord’s been ripped

6F32U1X.png
    The one plus about this game is that it will still be around, in some form, and complete. If they have known the game is ending for a while, Reign and Reverie should make a good capstone.

• NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    I don't think they knew. If they did I'm not sure they would have released a new core and done rotation.

Neaden wrote: »
    I don't think they knew. If they did I'm not sure they would have released a new core and done rotation.

Eh honestly the game is better for the things that rotated out being gone and the new core. This is a better snapshot of the game. Granted, maybe they would have just put out the revised core as a PDF instead of a thing to buy.