As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Is there anywhere to get Tyranid-ey dice?

The GW ones are out of print and internet searches just come up with basically purple dice

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    What's that librarian spell effect bit from?

I want to say it’s either a skaven poison bomber bit, or a lizardmen skink sling bit. Either range is a great source of bits for fire and smoke.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'm compelled to try and keep up with Badablack's awesome Deathwatches. That Librarian finger-of-death pose is killer.
    My science minded marines are more pragmatic, so I just made two Primaris Captains. A punchy one and a shooty one, who traded all their imperial bling for science doodads. I think I'll paint them astronaut white.
    4627wily1aa0.jpg

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Khraul wrote: »

The GW ones are out of print and internet searches just come up with basically purple dice

Email Chessex and tell them what design you want and what facing it should be on, which set of their dice to put it on, and which color. You'll need to look all that up on their site, but then they can get them made for you. Takes about 6 weeks. I have IF dice made that way.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Using a storm shield as a pauldron for the dreadnought is a cool idea

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    I am entirely confident that the Ynnari are getting relegated to their heavily-FAQed Index version for the foreseeable future.

Strength From Death has fucked up too much this edition, GW need to go back to the drawing board about it (and the faction as a whole).

I think they need a full release with new and unique units, frankly. Eldar are fiddly to balance anyway and stapling on a separate army type/ traits/ relics/ strats onto what is really a soup list is just screaming to be abused.

• Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    I’ll say it again; the Ynnari need their own book with their own versions of Guardians and whatnot, with their own points values and power levels balanced to account for SfD instead of whatever they had previously.
    And also some new rules to go with. Like, Aspect Warriors are supposed to represent a selection of Khaine’s many ways of killing things, so shouldn’t they be a bit different as aspects of the may ways of dying?
    That way they can release a bunch of plastic aspect kits while also making Ynnari a bit more (and less) than Eldar +1

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular

They had dice? were they like the death guard ones?

• Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Really I like the Ynnari in how they can pick from all three flavors of Aeldari in one force {just having one or all of the triumvirate as your warlord sucks} As it's something to have a farseer in a force of mostly drukari
    I am fine with just repaints or such with the aledari in the role of the Ynnari but many of the items in the craftworld are old enough to drink or have grandchildren

As for what their theme is other than strength from death? I have no idea

• Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular

Email Chessex and tell them what design you want and what facing it should be on, which set of their dice to put it on, and which color. You'll need to look all that up on their site, but then they can get them made for you. Takes about 6 weeks. I have IF dice made that way.

Excellent, thank you. I'll fire them a message.
    Brainleech wrote: »

They had dice? were they like the death guard ones?

There's a few sets floating around on eBay... Purple with the nids logo as the six.

No idea what era they're from though

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    It's my birthday, and my boy Vince got me the exact mans I wanted.

I'm a 35 year-old child.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    The great cleansing of my Necrons is part way done. Had them in isopropyl alcohol for a week and I'm gonna put them into some simple green now.

Not sure how I'm gonna clean my Monoliths. Also gotta put together my spyders, a triarch, 2 command barges, finish my 12 tomb blades, 3 wraiths, and fix up the two arks I got off of ebay.

Need to apply for jobs in between to prep for Space Wolves.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The escalation league I was in finished today and they saw fit to give me this

85tnhukh3u1m.jpg

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    See, a little personal grooming goes a long way.
    :P

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options

Excellent, thank you. I'll fire them a message.

They do not have any GW symbols listed on their website, but tell them in the email you're looking for tyranid dice and they'll send you a response to pin down the style.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular

grazzles

dude, you can't show the ribbon and not the pig.

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    McGibs wrote: »

grazzles

dude, you can't show the ribbon and not the pig.

it's all still in my car! I'll try to pose the painted models tomorrow. The armies had to grow pretty aggressively so pretty much no one finished painting their whole force

• Options
    I took my deathwatch out for an inaugural game in all their unpainted glory. Wiped the floor pretty handily with a thousand sons list, though he made a bunch of bad calls like dropping his troops out of rhinos too soon and spreading damage too thinly. They can absolutely hold their own, but even primaris are very glass cannon-y. They have to be wiping stuff out every turn or they’ll get shot to pieces.

• Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    Watched the new night at the game table video. Deathwatch vs Necrons again.

It was a hard video to watch. Deathwatch seems like a very bad match up for Necrons at 50 power level. Two full squads of Immortals got obliterated on turn 1.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    Transports are definitely the way to go against Deathwatch. They’ll shred any infantry you put on the board and outrange all your footsloggers, but don’t have any answers to dudes in cans other than pinging them to death with bolters on 5’s or expensive antitank platforms.

• Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'm new to 40k. I'm participating in a slow grow league. I'm trying to figure out a 2000 point list, and work backwards for the league.

I currently have 2x Collect Tyranids boxes; Venomthropes; an extra box of genestealers; 30 Hormagaunts; and a Hive Tyrant.

What kind of playstyle works for Tyranids at 2k points?

warder808 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Badablack wrote: »
    Transports are definitely the way to go against Deathwatch. They’ll shred any infantry you put on the board and outrange all your footsloggers, but don’t have any answers to dudes in cans other than pinging them to death with bolters on 5’s or expensive antitank platforms.

Can they not take hellblasters? I mean hellblasters are pretty amazing as far as primaris shooty guys go.

Wait if you put hellblasters with Agressors do they get to shoot twice if they haven't moved?!

• Options
    LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    No, the Aggressor bonus is getting to ignore the -1 for moving and shooting Heavy weapons or advancing and shooting Assault weapons.

Hellblasters are fine if you can actually get close enough. The typical vehicle shooting you is a few feet away behind a chaff screen, and it can be difficult to get even the 30 inches, let alone 15 for double tap that you really need.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Tyranid are probably the most varied army right now. You can run almost any type of army, from all giant bugs to swarms to psyker spam to medium sized infantry. The only iffy stuff are some of the big melee bugs, everything else ranges from totally fine to crazy good.

Hellblasters are good but if they’re in rapid fire range (the only place they matter) then those transports have probably done their job. The thing about transports is that none of the Deathwatch stratagems work on them, all their good antitank is close range, and the rest is on land raiders and dreadnoughts.

Badablack on
  • Options
    warder808warder808 Registered User regular
    Tyranid are probably the most varied army right now. You can run almost any type of army, from all giant bugs to swarms to psyker spam to medium sized infantry. The only iffy stuff are some of the big melee bugs, everything else ranges from totally fine to crazy good.

Are Nids an army that asks the enemy difficult questions, or do we provide answers to the enemies questions?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    warder808 wrote: »

Are Nids an army that asks the enemy difficult questions, or do we provide answers to the enemies questions?

Probably the first, fighting tyranids is about killing the right stuff to weaken them before they all crash down on you.

• Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    warder808 wrote: »

Probably the first, fighting tyranids is about killing the right stuff to weaken them before they all crash down on you.

Having only watched battle reports, I feel like Tyranids have some largely unexplored responsive potential. They're just so beast on the proactive side that it's kind of unnecessary to play purely responsively.

• Options
    I just received three boxes of Shapeway Deathwatch accessories. I jow have the dread shoulder guard, terminator chapter badges for termies and aggressors and the Excoriator, Hammer of Dorn and Rainbow Warrior shoulder pads I wanted. My GS box is gonna be lit.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    If you have something that lets you reroll 1s and roll a d3 do you reroll on a d3 result of a 1 or only if the d6 shows a 1?

• Options
    No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    If you have something that lets you reroll 1s and roll a d3 do you reroll on a d3 result of a 1 or only if the d6 shows a 1?

Need more specifics here. What is giving the reroll and what are you using it for?

• Options
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Need more specifics here. What is giving the reroll and what are you using it for?

Order of Companions Strategem:

“Until the end of the phase re-roll all rolls of 1 for that model (this includes hit rolls, wound rolls, damage rolls, and rolls made to determine the number of shots fired by weapons that make a random number of attacks.”

Put it on a knight Castellan.

His twin siege breaker cannons are heavy 2d3. They do d3 damage. His volcano lance does 3d3 damage. Etc.

If I roll a d6 and get a 2 that’s a d3 result of a 1 but a 2 showing on the die. Do I re-roll?

• Options
    I...guess that sounds like it falls under modified dice rolls not being affected by rerolls? So similarly to how some debuff giving you -1 to hit would not let you reroll 2’s as if they were 1’s, a d3 result of 2 that turns into 1 wouldn’t let you reroll it either.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I would let my opponent reroll a 2 on a D6 for a D3 roll due to it being a result of 1, but also because who the hell carries an actual D3 around?

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'd say that works. We roll a d6 for a d3 out of convenience, but the die displaying 1 or 2 pips is a result of a 1. It's not a modified result like -1.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Yeah, if you had a D3 to roll, you'd have a 1 in 3 chance of rerolling.
    You shouldn't change that chance just because you're subbing in a D6, that would kind of defeat the purpose of the ability, or at least nerf it substantially.

• Options
    Yeah, a D3 only has three results, one of which you can re-roll. If you use some alternate means to represent a D3 you still only count the value of the D3 roll.
    To do otherwise would be on the same curve as denying re-rolls to people that use dice roller apps because ‘you never actually rolled any dice’ or something.

Also, guys, I’ve discovered a deadly secret hidden in the depths of Codex: Imperial Knights – you know how everyone is all fired up about the Paragon Gauntlet artefact? The chain blade Ravager is better.

• Options
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Yeah, a D3 only has three results, one of which you can re-roll. If you use some alternate means to represent a D3 you still only count the value of the D3 roll.
    To do otherwise would be on the same curve as denying re-rolls to people that use dice roller apps because ‘you never actually rolled any dice’ or something.

Also, guys, I’ve discovered a deadly secret hidden in the depths of Codex: Imperial Knights – you know how everyone is all fired up about the Paragon Gauntlet artefact? The chain blade Ravager is better.

Paragon does a flat 2 more damage and hit and grants you a very accurate Death Grip.

The ravager is probably the better choice unless you need to squish a lot of characters though.

• Options
    Yeh, paragon is best for death-gripping but ravager is also 5pts cheaper and no-one’s expecting it.
    On the topic of Death Grip (and the other close combat stratagems) has anyone else noticed that they don’t require you to still be in combat, or engaged with a unit you charged? Because you can theoretically charge a vehicle, say, and crunch it (then optionally throw it depending on your load-out), consolidate, then chainsweep or thunderstomp or even deathgrip a unit that was hidden behind the vehicle without receiving overwatch fire.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I...guess that sounds like it falls under modified dice rolls not being affected by rerolls?
    Agreeing with the other posts above, this has nothing to do with modifying die rolls. It is literally, 'don't have a D3? use a D6 and count 1-2 as a 1.'

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    Oh neat!

The relic strategem also makes the knight a character. That means you can get 3 characters in a knight lance using only 2cp. One character from the lance rule, 1 character from the warlord trait strategem and 1 character from the relic strategem.

That means 3 characters, 3 heroic interventions, 2 relics and 2 warlord traits for 2 CP? Leaving me 9 to play with in a CP hungry army (I expect to burn 3-4 on the first turn on the game many times.) Heck yeah.