As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX West Challenge Coin 2018 (updated July 10th, 2018 with Order Form)

• Options
    PchoPcho Enforcer Pcho New HampshireRegistered User regular
    @dashd does the West coins not get manufactured into varients? Color and just plain metal?

PAXAnimeCTconFanExpoRenewDHAtlantaAnaheimLeakycon
    o8VqzID.png
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    DashD wrote: »
    I don't have an idea for the gaming side, I'm not that clever. But as people are thinking of ideas, could you also think about that not everyone wants coins with color on them? Thus far, all of my coins are just the metal and, if possible, I would really like to keep it that way.

The past few years the coin has had both a color and plain metal version. I always just go with the plain metal myself.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    DashDDashD Dread Pirate Chef Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    @Pcho It does, but some designs will not turn out well if you remove the colors.

"Brilliant! Oh wait, if we were meant to fly, we would have been born with little bags of nuts."
    PAX_Badge_Sig.png
  • Options
    DaPaladinDaPaladin Registered User regular
    5h25rwgv81m8.png

A quick and dirty attempt. The blue ring would be the usual year, pacmans, and slogan (just didn't grab the template).

jparp8146qaj.png
  • Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    I've heard you folks asking if they'll be coming in just colour or just metal this year. I am pleased to announce that we are keeping with tradition (over these last few years) and getting prints of both. Also thanks for submitting your design @DaPaladin

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
    Also a computer scientist and a streamer.
  • Options
    BluemeaneBluemeane Registered User regular
    I prefer the option of a color and plain, I order both lol.

jj0mqt5d2a94.png

PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAXXXXXXXXXXX!
  • Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    I like @DrewsGFX's design, but I agree that it should be devoid of logos. Looking back at previous years, we've usually had some sort of iconic gaming symbol on the back that honors our theme (d-pad, WASD, coin slot, meeple and d20, etc). The achievement unlocked popup is pretty iconic now, so I think if that's our theme, a variation of that popup should be on there. I also liked @IncreaseBlue's usage of PAXchivement. Using a PS trophy generator, I hacked together this:
    2xvf6qwhcs3r.png

The final version should be our unique design instead of a copy of one of the existing formats. We should also ask for permission to use the forum badge signature images.

My other suggestion would be to use the rest of the blank space to be some sort of action that actually unlocks our PAXchivement, so that way when we view it, it's like our view when we play a game.

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    jukkakhan wrote: »
    My other suggestion would be to use the rest of the blank space to be some sort of action that actually unlocks our PAXchivement, so that way when we view it, it's like our view when we play a game.
    Picture/cartoon of four bobcat cubs, popping out of a mail box? :P

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

As a business cat, I support this idea. If it has to be more game oriented, have the bobcats coming out of a lootbox lol!

IncreaseBlue on
  • Options
    DrewsGFXDrewsGFX Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Created another idea. Getting rid of the PAX logo and the xbox achievement icon for something more custom. Kind of liked the idea of having the outside bronze color being used to give the trophy, well, erm, a trophy look.
    Edit: Whoops, forgot to credit @jukkakhan, used their idea for the achievement box.

mbbe08e06voa.png

DrewsGFX on
  • Options
    SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular

Here is my go.

ncKYuOk.png

Obviously the picture is just a stand in. I wold clean it up, or "Vectorize" it, to make the heads and fur look more bobcat. You get the idea.

IhtGIyi.png
  • Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    These are all really nice designs. I look forward to the completed coin!

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Sorry to be a bit negative here as I know you do lots of work on these and I love my coins over the years but the gaming side so far for this year doesn't work for me. The elephant for Seattle is nice but the designs and especially the tag line for the gaming side seem very meh (Ok Drew's graphic is pretty decent).. If we are going for an achievement theme I would do away with the "now your hooked" it just makes it super corny. For any additional wording I would do it more like the cat's one with the badge the value and PAX West 18. So the total verbiage was "Achievement Unlocked 1000G PAX West 18". This fits a more traditional achievement notice and is more clear what its about/means.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Options
    Aardvark VulgarAardvark Vulgar Registered User regular
    DaPaladin wrote: »
    5h25rwgv81m8.png

A quick and dirty attempt. The blue ring would be the usual year, pacmans, and slogan (just didn't grab the template).

I like the background of this one with the badges. End it at the light 18 and remove the “19” badges behind the text. Replace the current text with the achievement logo that SkeleVader has and then possibly add Bobcats in place of Ms. PacMan.

70xnyzr.png
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    Hey guys, sorry I missed the inital voting for the coin, but glad I remembered before the order date! And thr elephant car wash! Awesome that you're using that one!

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I agree with @ElmoFuntz . "Now your hooked" seems a bit out of placed.

"Hooked" sounds much better.

Just my
    .000000001 BTC

Pcho on
    o8VqzID.png
  • Options
    Nfan10039Nfan10039 Streamer/Gamer/Developer Montreal (Seattle eventually....)Registered User regular
    Greetings everyone! I hope all of you are doing well and enjoyed E3. I'm a little sad that basically all that was at Nintendo's E3 was Smash. However, it looks to be like the ULTIMATE (pun intended) version.

As promised, here is the link to the gaming side art voting form. https://goo.gl/forms/ecCzuRM82cLaTt8r2 For all of you who don't or can't read this, a link will also be posted on the first post. I look forward to seeing your response and finally getting this to the coin makers. Have a great week! :)

ajor19ru24j1.png
    Just a nerd into anything Nintendo, anime, MCU, Star Wars, and board games/card games.
  • Options
    Umm...I was showing these to a friend and she raised a good point that I didn't think of. There is not gonna be trouble for using the trademarked logos is there?

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    @Dragon6860 I think we talked about this earlier in the tread.

o8VqzID.png
  • Options
    jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    I agree that our coin should not have any corporate logos, including PAX. We don't want to jeopardize us being able to do these in the future.

PimDtoK.png
  • Options
    L on that note, has anyone spoken to Penny Arcade official staff regarding this issue? I mean like lately within the last couple of months?

o8VqzID.png
  • Options
    MetricalSkyMetricalSky Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    We should also ask for permission to use the forum badge signature images.
    Well, I dunno if you really need my permission, but... yeah, I'm cool with having the minibadge on the coin. :) (Thanks for the heads-up @jukkakhan.)

Now I'm kinda sad that I won't be going again this year...

ItrVoTt.png
  • Options
    jumbotojumboto Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Survey submitted! Came into this thread too late to throw in my opinion regarding the gaming side of the coin, but hopefully my response to the survey will be taken into consideration.

Btw, love the Elephant Car Wash sign for the Seattle side of the coin. Hope that side will be available in color this year.

boTdSSK.png
  • Options
    IncreaseBlueIncreaseBlue Registered User regular
    While I know it's not strictly gaming, I love the bobcats idea since that is truly a PAX only thing.

• Options
    bacon_avengerbacon_avenger Defender of Pork Products Pacific NW, USARegistered User regular
    While I know it's not strictly gaming, I love the bobcats idea since that is truly a PAX only thing.

To get the 'achievement' of making it to PAX, one has to have acquired the bobcats, right? :)

PAX Prime 2022 Checklist:[ ]Hotel [ ]Time Off [ ]Bobcats [ ]Challenge Coin [ ]Forum Badge
    eIMwu3s.png
  • Options
    Hello everyone,
    Gaming side has been decided and changes have been made. I only have Friday night if any changes are to be made.

Here is the design:
    2tel5mritre2.png

Thank you for your patience.

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • Options
    Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    Thank you so much for all of your hard work! Can't wait to order them!

• Options
    Looks good! Cant wait to order one!

HLRpxno.png
  • Options
    JoshEEEJoshEEE Registered User regular
    I'm a fan of this coin.

Bring it

GWgFmYD.png
  • Options
    Order form is now live! It can be found here: https://goo.gl/forms/rOv0nnnspbLFwyYS2

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    @Nfan10039 If I wanted to order 10 color coins the total would be $111 USD right? Also what is regular coin pricing?

Pcho on
    o8VqzID.png
  • Options
    Pcho wrote: »
    @Nfan10039 If I wanted to order 10 color coins the total would be $111 USD right? Also what is regular coin pricing?

Pcho, if you live outside the United States, that would be correct. However, if you live inside the United States it would only be $87 USD. For regular coins, the base price is what you have to look at. Regular coins cost $7 each. However, with shipping it comes out to about 10 USD per regular coin.

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • Options
    DrewsGFXDrewsGFX Registered User regular
    Is there a picture of the proof?

• Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    Bluemeane wrote: »
    What have the options for the coins been the last few years? I wish the last years were on there lol (So we could just pick what was the same lol)
    Any one have a picture of past coins?

Past coins can be found in our community Wiki: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/PAX_Challenge_Coin some images might have errors, but you can find the links to past threads there too.

Coins have almost always been 1.75" and West uses the Antique Bronze finish. (One coin was 2" and silver).

Hm, it looks like a couple of the coins for west, the images are broken. Do you know who's managing the page?

Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    Croatian SensationCroatian Sensation Registered User regular
    Alright, got one of each. Looking forward to seeing them!

• Options
    DrewsGFX wrote: »
    Is there a picture of the proof?

There are pictures of the proofs. I just didn't know if you folks wanted to see them or not....
    amivm5hfjpbe.jpg
    fjs5xhsl12g1.jpg

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • Options
    Mighty wrote: »
    SkeleVader wrote: »
    Bluemeane wrote: »
    What have the options for the coins been the last few years? I wish the last years were on there lol (So we could just pick what was the same lol)
    Any one have a picture of past coins?

Past coins can be found in our community Wiki: http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/PAX_Challenge_Coin some images might have errors, but you can find the links to past threads there too.

Coins have almost always been 1.75" and West uses the Antique Bronze finish. (One coin was 2" and silver).

Hm, it looks like a couple of the coins for west, the images are broken. Do you know who's managing the page?

I don't know who's managing the page. RILMS thought he had fixed it, but I can let the Coin team know that the images for a few coins are broken.

ajor19ru24j1.png
  • Options
    Cool!

o8VqzID.png
  • Options
    anettie76anettie76 OregonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Did I miss why we were using PAX Prime versus PAX West? I know the history of the name, I just wondered if we were using Prime to stay true to the origin of the event, even though we used PAX West the last 2 years. (I'm referring to proofs shown above.) I have no complaints about the coin, I was only curious. I love it and think I will get one of each as well. Thank you for your efforts.

anettie76 on
    5fac6ex5bpmi.jpg

• Options
    anettie76 wrote: »
    Did I miss why we were using PAX Prime versus PAX West? I know the history of the name, I just wondered if we were using Prime to stay true to the origin of the event, even though we used PAX West the last 2 years. (I'm referring to proofs shown above.) I have no complaints about the coin, I was only curious. I love it and think I will get one of each as well. Thank you for your efforts.

Thank you for pointing that out. I have alerted Kiddercorp which hopefully will make the change the design for us before printing any. I have sent them an email and am currently waiting to hear back. Will let you know what happens.

ajor19ru24j1.png