As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Issue with Firefox

NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
Hi, guys.

Let me cut to the chase, since yesterday, I've been having an issue with Firefox whenever I go to play Golf Clash on facebook. Whenever I try to play, while the game is loading I get a notification from Firefox saying that the webpage is slowing down the browser, or something like that, and my options are to stop it or to wait. If I click wait, the same notification comes back up a few seconds later and if I click stop, it stops doing anything, obviously. This wouldn't be an issue, but that game is one of the few thing my dad and I can do together otherwise I would just quit trying to play it.

Now I've tried refreshing Firefox and I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the browser and the first time I pull the game up it does fine, but afterwards, I get the same issue I mentioned above. I know someone is gonna ask if I've done anything different so here we go:

I had been using Adblock Plus for a while, but it had started letting some ads through. My initial research into the problem said that their could be some adware or similar bad stuff causing the ads to still show up. So I downloaded adaware from Malwarebytes and after using it, it said it corrected some issues. I also read that Ublock Origin is a better ad blocker than Adblock Plus, so I switched to that.

It was after using adaware and switching to Ublock Origin that I started having the issue.

I'm not sure if I said it above, but its only when I try to play the game that I get the notification. I can go anywhere else and do everything I normally do.

Any help, advice, or solutions are appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

steam_sig.png
PSN:Midnyte_Rage

• ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    I think by default uBlock Origin will add an icon to the right of the address bar in the browser -- when you're on the page, you can click that to get details about what it's blocking and (more importantly) disable/enable it for a given site by clicking the giant blue "power button"-looking icon in that menu. I'd try that first as an easy solution -- if it doesn't work, you can also temporarily uninstall uBlock Origin entirely to see if that's the culprit.

• NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    It seems as though uBlock was the cause of the problem. I disabled it as you suggested, and the game loaded up fine.

steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    It seems as though uBlock was the cause of the problem. I disabled it as you suggested, and the game loaded up fine.

Sounds to me like the real issue could be the game and not Firefox/uBlock. Most likely it is made in a way that one can not block ads and play the game ie. like some websites don't allow you the see their content when blocking ads.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • ClipseClipse Registered User regular

Sounds to me like the real issue could be the game and not Firefox/uBlock. Most likely it is made in a way that one can not block ads and play the game ie. like some websites don't allow you the see their content when blocking ads.

Yeah, this would be my guess as well. If disabling it for the site worked, you can try reenabling it for the site and ctrl+clicking on the big power-button icon to disable it for that specific page; but I'm not familiar enough with facebook to say if it'll be recognized as the same page each time. If that works you'd ad least be able to keep blocking ads elsewhere on facebook.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    I use NoScript, which isn't really an ad-blocker per se, but it has per-host script blocking.
    I don't know if there's a similar feature in Ublock, but when I have trouble I can often unblock the game content server, to get the game running, and still keep blocking the ad server on the same page.

discrider wrote: »
    I use NoScript, which isn't really an ad-blocker per se, but it has per-host script blocking.
    I don't know if there's a similar feature in Ublock, but when I have trouble I can often unblock the game content server, to get the game running, and still keep blocking the ad server on the same page.

There is also another way of blocking stuff. The Hosts-file.
    On ones computer there is a list which holds a translations of domain names to IP-addresses. That list will on most systems only hold like one or two items, but one can add to it and use that as a way to block sites without having to use a browser plug-in. It isn't an automated function and one must edit the list one self, there is however the benefit that it works for all ones browsers.
    On my hosts file I have added a few domain names and set them to point to 127.0.0.1 (That is universal for ones own computer, so unless you run a webserver that is the same as a quick no-reply address).

Here is a guide I copied from rackspace.com on how to edit the Hosts-file:

For Windows 10 and 8
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type Notepad in the search field.
    • In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
    • From Notepad, open the following file: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
    • Make the necessary changes to the file.
    • Click File > Save to save your changes.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    discrider wrote: »

There is also another way of blocking stuff. The Hosts-file.
    On ones computer there is a list which holds a translations of domain names to IP-addresses. That list will on most systems only hold like one or two items, but one can add to it and use that as a way to block sites without having to use a browser plug-in. It isn't an automated function and one must edit the list one self, there is however the benefit that it works for all ones browsers.
    On my hosts file I have added a few domain names and set them to point to 127.0.0.1 (That is universal for ones own computer, so unless you run a webserver that is the same as a quick no-reply address).

Here is a guide I copied from rackspace.com on how to edit the Hosts-file:

For Windows 10 and 8
    • Press the Windows key.
    • Type Notepad in the search field.
    • In the search results, right-click Notepad and select Run as administrator.
    • From Notepad, open the following file: c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts.
    • Make the necessary changes to the file.
    • Click File > Save to save your changes.

The utility program Spybot-Search and Destroy can install a hosts file designed to route most known malware domains to localhost.

Fun fact: the Hosts file is actually a remnant of pre-DNS resolution of IP addresses. In the early days of the internet, you "resolved" URLs by updating your host file with the mapping of the address. Needless to say, that got unwieldy fast,and thus DNS was born. But the hosts file takes precedent, which is why it can be used as a blacklist.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    Fun fact: the Hosts file is actually a remnant of pre-DNS resolution of IP addresses. In the early days of the internet, you "resolved" URLs by updating your host file with the mapping of the address. Needless to say, that got unwieldy fast,and thus DNS was born. But the hosts file takes precedent, which is why it can be used as a blacklist.

Neat. I guess it's origin being way back in the history, relatively speaking, the also explains why this simple text file is like the only file I can think of which has no extension in the file name ie. no file type. Something which is nothing even minor, but it does always make guiding people on how to edit just that tiny bit more complicated.