As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Neo-[Tech Thread] for the cyberpunk present where Net Neutrality has been murdered

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2018
    bowen wrote: »
    that supcase looks like it's the big A+ durable case as far as I can find

Are you looking for something less obnoxious than that though?

lets face it my dream case would be a 0.1um thick impervious but capacitive waterproof shield around the entire thing, but at this point I'll take anything tynic-proof that I can afford.

tynic on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    bowen wrote: »
    that supcase looks like it's the big A+ durable case as far as I can find

Are you looking for something less obnoxious than that though?

lets face it my dream case would be a 0.1um thick impervious but capacitive waterproof shield around the entire thing, but at this point I'll take anything tynic-proof that I can afford.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0191MAN7W/

Maybe that too

I'm not sure how this is going to hold up if you eat a bee again!

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I dropped my phone last week and after getting it repaired I was all "I will decide not to drop it again just like that fucken super genius on the forums recommended, why did I decide to drop it that time it was clearly the wrong decision"

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    I have a fantastic case and now I drop my phone all the time

it's just not a big deal

I once went without a case for like 6 months and then I got an otterbox because I said "one day I'm going to just destroy my phone and that would suck" and then I dropped my iphone on the corner of the metal frame of my bed.

I'm still not sure if I was just more clumsy with my phone or if it was destiny.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I will say that after the 1st year or whenever the case wears out, I get a lot less protective of the phone. My 5s had been caseless for like 2 and a half years and it was beat to shit, built like a tank though, that metal band around the edge absorbed a lot of damage. The X though, fuck its just a monolith of glass. Between the box it came in and the lifeproof case I put it in, it was exposed to the dangers of real life for all of about 15 seconds.

I would LOVE something the size of the X but with the general industrial design of the 5s. It was SO much easier to hold on to.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    I have put a tempered glass cover on my phone (plastic-backed Lumia 950) and a stick-on cover for the work phone (as well as a foof) (iphone 7) cos I've smashed two screens through drunken clumsiness, which is at least one too many. The tempered glass on my phone has saved it at least once, if not several times. Hopefully I can merge the two phones next year, and whatever that device is will have some protection on it as well cos sod getting about with a busted screen or paying for replacements.

I actually have put tempered glass on all my phone screens. Right now it's the only thing holding this one together.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I feel dumb, I have a nice case but I've been to lazy to apply my weird plastic screen thing. I love the tempered glass ones, but I have a Note 8 and the glass doesn't play well with the curved screens

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Are y'all serious, that I can just choose to not drop my phone, or make some sort of decision ahead of time, and my phone won't fall out of my pocket?

• CormacCormac Registered User regular
    I had great luck with the official fabric backed case for my 5X protecting it from light drops. No idea if it's even for sale anymore, but generally anything from Spiegen or Rinke have been well made, offer good protection, and feel good in the hand.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
    Are y'all serious, that I can just choose to not drop my phone, or make some sort of decision ahead of time, and my phone won't fall out of my pocket?

yeah you gotta really want it tho

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    you have to bootstrap your phone to your bootstraps and then pull it up by them

BahamutZERO.gif
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I'm currently playing with fire by not having a case, but I just love how my phone feels without it

I do have a dent in the corner already though so I should probably give in and look into cases

• ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I've got an orginal Pixel that is way too slippery to hold without some sort of case. I'd guarantee drop it a lot more without.

My old Droid Turbo was much better in that regard with that kind of rubbery carbon fiber thing they had. Much easier to hold.

I usually just use some cheap TPU thin case and a screen protector. I'm not super keen on these new tempered glass protectors, but they do seem to work pretty well so whatever.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I use to be super worried and extra careful about my screen, but I've had no screen protector for like 5 months now and have had no scratches or damage.

I do have a super tough and nice case though

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I will say that after the 1st year or whenever the case wears out, I get a lot less protective of the phone. My 5s had been caseless for like 2 and a half years and it was beat to shit, built like a tank though, that metal band around the edge absorbed a lot of damage. The X though, fuck its just a monolith of glass. Between the box it came in and the lifeproof case I put it in, it was exposed to the dangers of real life for all of about 15 seconds.

I would LOVE something the size of the X but with the general industrial design of the 5s. It was SO much easier to hold on to.

the x honestly feels slipperier than a wet bar of soap when i'm using it without a case.

shit is scary af, doesn't even feel like it can stay on a table without slowly sliding off. i only use the leather apple case but it's nice and grippy. the screen seems pretty strong though, i don't use a protector because i don't like how they feel and it's still damage free.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Not having a case for my phone makes me feel alive.

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I have never damaged a smartphone. The furthest I've dropped one is maybe a couple of inches onto my desk. I use a case. Because when I'm holding a $800 device in my hand or carrying it in my pocket, I treat it like carrying cash money. And yeah, it's insured via two different policies( carrier and renters) but just because I can get it replaced for a small fee doesn't mean I'm gonna treat it like a toy.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    @tynic

How is your 5x holding up performance wise? Mine is getting way slow and I need TIPS on things to speed it up.

I have a spigen case but I think that might be too thin for you

Also I have slightly above average sized hands that my fingers don't always work perfect due to a whole lot of severe cold exposure during my army days and a case makes these tiny smooth slivers of tech easier to hold.

So yeah fuck off with that hyperbolic coward bullshit.

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The fact that 90% of phones are in a case just tells that somewhere in the past phone design went in the wrong direction.

Give me a bleeding edge device what fits in your palm with the same or better environmental protections as an AN/PVS-7.

• pimentopimento she/they/pim Registered User regular
    Yea, I used to carry my Nokia 3315 in a thin leather case clipped to my belt, then use it to rest things on while carrying them about.. and by things I mean set elements and theatre lights and large pieces of wood and so on. It survived that whole like 4 years or so of me being in a workshop and being a roadie hanging out off my hip being rammed into things. Good times.

• JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    To clarify: "Cases are for cowards" was meant to be an obvious throwaway joke in the vein of "peanuts are for communists."

I didn't mean to shit up your case search, @tynic. Sorry.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Cases provide the added benefit nowadays of providing a flat plane on the back of the device, otherwise interrupted by a camera bump on like every goddamn phone nowadays. When is that going to stop being a thing?

As for brand, I highly recommend Spigen Tough Armor cases - I’ve been using them for years, both for iPhone and Android. They’re one third the price of Otterbox, they’re less bulky, but they do neat things like add cushioned corners that provide a protective sort of bubble for the device if you happen to drop it that way. I’d pair it with a tempered glass screen like you mentioned Tynic, be fully protected for like 15 bucks.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Jedoc wrote: »
    To clarify: "Cases are for cowards" was meant to be an obvious throwaway joke in the vein of "peanuts are for communists."

I didn't mean to shit up your case search, @tynic. Sorry.

Yeah, dunno how people missed that.

• DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    I've dropped my phone(s) so many times and never had one break in any way.

Of course I'm posting this from a brand new phone and will have angered the phone gods just enough for the obvious thing to happen.

Karl wrote: »
    @tynic

How is your 5x holding up performance wise? Mine is getting way slow and I need TIPS on things to speed it up.

I have a spigen case but I think that might be too thin for you

Kinda shit, but i can't tell how much of that is innate and how much is due to the abuse it's suffered. The only thing that's c really bugging me is keyboard/touchscreen performance, and that's likely to be affected by cracking.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The main advantage for caseless, and why I do it, is that at least on my Samsung S7 Edge it is the difference between comfortably fitting in my pant pockets or not.

I have habit built pretty well for almost never being a position of never dropping it, though it does eat quite a few scatches. Doesn't mean I'm a saint, for instance it got folded into my bedware a few weeks ago and dropped that 50cm drop when I moved it.
    Both at home and at work I put it facedown on the desk when I come in, which is where it is 70% of overall time. I don't think I ever had it fall out of pants pockets, though I did have it in a jacket on a train once, and it slipped out onto the seat, which lead to A Day of Adventure, though I did get it back eventually.

I did drop my previous phone in a fairly bad way about 1.5 years into owning it though, and it must've shook a wire on the mobo or something, because from that on it seemed not all the green colors would always come true at full strength, giving a strange hue.

Before that, I had like a 5.5 year streak of no serious incidents, and I never shattered any glass.

I did do some research now that phones are getting more expensive, but it seemed to point in two directions:

1. The glass on high-end phone keeps improving, and your incidence rate is lowering
    2. Cases only really add a few percentile points to your odds unless you Go Big. (Serious rubber)

Getting a replacement insurance is probably more cost effective if you are fearful of dropping real expensive phones.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I actually just noticed that the black coating stuff on my Pixel 2 XL is chipping a lot on the corners, so that will probably be the thing that gets me to put it into a case

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    At the shop I work at, we sell this liquid screen protection stuff for $60 that offers a guarantee that if your screen does break they give you $300 towards replacing the screen. It's a pretty decent deal, I think.

• TubeTube Registered User admin
    My main reason for going caseless is wireless charging. I had a battery case that allows it, but it's super heavy and super unreliable.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    My main reason for going caseless is wireless charging. I had a battery case that allows it, but it's super heavy and super unreliable.

wireless charging should go through slim cases I'd think, though I don't know about iphone wireless charging. I know it works for the S8

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I use a fairly thin silicon case on my iPhone 8 and wireless charging worked in the one fancy I hotel where I stayed that had it built into the bedside clock

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Naphtali wrote: »
    Tube wrote: »

wireless charging should go through slim cases I'd think, though I don't know about iphone wireless charging. I know it works for the S8

I use a big heavy duty case on my X and wireless charging works. Ive maybe used the lightning connector all of a dozen times in the last 6 months.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    why not just make phones bigger and sturdier to account for us clumsy people?

Also I think the 6510 is burned out in this c64 actually. the chip gets really hot if I turn it on for like 2 minutes and I get a totally black screen with no border and the dead test cartridge doesn't work (the cartridge data pins go directly to the 6510s data pins weirdly enough.) I took it out of the socket too and one of the pins broke off... at least I didn't stab myself in the finger with it like I did when I took out the sid chip.

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    the phone industry will not rest until phones are 1 dimensional objects

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    when the iPhone has merged with all of iReality then apple can finally rest

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Phones are already too big, I need to them to be scaled down so I can actually hold them

This discussion has been closed.