As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    But...what about the info we all really wanted to hear about?

"What happened next to Busty McTubetop????"

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

Probably recycled like any other broken appliance.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    I hope that sick-looking car handles better than Roach.

s7Imn5J.png
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I hope that sick-looking car handles better than Roach.

I kinda expected the car to have some sort of reference to Roach on it. Maybe in the license plate, but alas it does not.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    I love that they're poking fun at the fact that some of their design docs got hacked with the first part of that trailer

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i want to be girl... who chops

chops many

obF2Wuw.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    That trailer was everything I wanted this to be. I'm really glad this is going for a punk aesthetic in a world of brown and grit scifi videogames.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Suriko wrote: »
    That trailer was everything I wanted this to be. I'm really glad this is going for a punk aesthetic in a world of brown and grit scifi videogames.

They seem to be leaning superhard into the Neill Blomkamp style of sci-fi for the mechanical designs and guns, and that's rad.

elyseum1.jpg?w=1000&h=562&crop=1

That but more colorful and with neon and glitzy parties and the super rich to go along with the poverty and punks.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Also glad their interpretation of a cyperpunk world isn't "exclusively dark and rainy like Blade Runner."

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I need this in my veins.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    Trailer didn't do anything for me.

Still waiting to see some sort of actual gameplay.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular

She got recruited by the police.

5gsowHm.png
    Syngyne wrote: »

That was in the last trailer. I mean what happens after that.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
    Syngyne wrote: »

That was in the last trailer. I mean what happens after that.

She has an unremarkable career in SWAT and eventually retires, but never earns quite enough to get the ding on her cheek buffed out.

5gsowHm.png
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    There's a faq hidden in the trailer and apparently character creation is a thing and there is no release date.

They've been working on this in one form or another since at least 2012. I hope the world is as lived in and rich as W3's world was.

• manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    A few people mentioned this, but like, basically every frame in that trailer has some awesome story going on that I want to know more about.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »

Also glad their interpretation of a cyperpunk world isn't "exclusively dark and rainy like Blade Runner."

I like that world, but not everywhere.

I enjoy this semi retro crustpunk world they've shown us a glimpse of.

• Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    There's a faq hidden in the trailer and apparently character creation is a thing and there is no release date.

They've been working on this in one form or another since at least 2012. I hope the world is as lived in and rich as W3's world was.
    Good to hear.

Was wondering if they had scrapped that in favor of a premade character.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Dr. Chaos wrote: »

Good to hear.

Most likely they will just do it Mass Effect style and have one voice actor for each gender.

edited June 2018
    Here's the text, complete with a pot shot taken at how fellow cyberpunk game DX:MD got handled
    “It’s been over 2077 days since we announced our plan to develop Cyberpunk 2077. We released a CGI trailer, gave some interviews and… went dark. Normal procedure for these kinds of things — you announce a game and then shut up, roll up your sleeves and get to work. We wanted to give you the Witcher 3 and both expansions first, which is why this period of staying silent was longer than we planned. Sorry for that.

As soon as we concluded work on Blood and Wine, we were able to go full speed ahead with CP2077’s pre-production. But we chose to remain silent. Why? At some point we made the decisions to resume talking about the game when we have something to show. Something meaningful and substantial. This is because we do realize you’ve been impatiently waiting for a very long time, and we wouldn’t like anyone to feel that we’re taking this for granted. On the contrary — it gives us a lot of extra motivation. The hype is real, so the sweat and tears need to be real, too :)

But to the point. Today is the day. If you’re seeing this, it means you saw the trailer. – our vision for Cyberpunk, an alternative version of the future where America is in pieces, megacorporations control all aspects of civilized life, and gangs rule the rest. And, while this world is full of adrenaline, don’t let the car chases and guns mislead you. Cyberpunk 2077 is a true single player, story-driven RPG. You’ll be able to create your own character and… well, you’ll get to know the rest of what show at our booth at E3. Be on the lookout for the previews!

Before we finish, you probably have some questions,

When?
    When we told you we would only release the game when it’s ready, we meant it. We’re definitely much closer to a release date than we were back then ;) but it’s still not the time to confirm anything, so patience is still required. Quality is the only thing that drives us. It’s the beauty of being an independent studio and your own publisher.

How big?
    Seriously big, but… to be honest, we have no bloody clue at this point in time. Once we put it all together, we will openly tell you what you can expect. And we promise we’ll do this before we start talking about pre-orders or ask anything of you.

Free DLC/Expansions/DRM
    Expect nothing less than you got with The Witcher 3. As for DRM, CP2077, will be 100% DRM-free on PC.

Microtransactions?
    In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?

Once again, thank you for your patience. If you have a minute, do visit cyberpunk.net and share your opinion (about anything) with us. We read everything you posted we treat it very seriously.

Yours,

CD PROJEKT RED Team

jungleroomx on

Good to hear.

Jerry Riviera, cyberpsycho hunter

5gsowHm.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    While I'm glad they're giving us a character creator, I know we are all going to basically recreate Hiro Protagonist so I wonder why they even bother giving us the creator.

I want a Dixie Flatline option to play as a chip that someone has to cart around everywhere

5gsowHm.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I'M SO HYPE Y'ALL

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

Good to hear.

Most likely they will just do it Mass Effect style and have one voice actor for each gender.

Dammit.

I liked Geralt more in Witcher 2 and 3 when he became his own person with his own social circle.

I'm apprehensive but if anyone can pull of a quality blank slate, its these devs.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    While I'm glad they're giving us a character creator, I know we are all going to basically recreate Hiro Protagonist so I wonder why they even bother giving us the creator.

Not me, still haven't gotten around to reading that one.

I'll probably make some old Shadowrun street sams or something.

• GyralGyral Registered User regular

I'll be making Molly Millions, thank you very much.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

Mid-game boss/romance option.

Synthesis wrote: »

Mid-game boss/romance option.

That's going to make my Busty McTubetop's red headed twin sister playthrough kinda....awkward.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular

I know I'll definitely deliver some za for the mob if it's a sidejob option.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    This. I need this. Just zap it straight in to my brain already!

That trailer's everything is exactly what I wanted before I knew I wanted it. All the punk, all the cyber, and that car! ARGH. Whenever it's coming is not soon enough.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular

Excuse you, I am recreating Molly Millions.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I love that, aesthetically, it's embracing the genre's 1980's roots.

• QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    I love that, aesthetically, it's embracing the genre's 1980's roots.

And yet, not too much. They seem to be retconning the material pretty well... keeping it retro while also keeping out the stuff that would be silly nowadays. (Ooo, a WEARABLE computer, how futuristic!!) It's telling that CDPR seems to be better at retconning the source material than the actual writers... who utterly ruined the game in v3.

Also, for the dorky older people here that actually played CP2020 in high school... anyone else catch themselves just naming the class of everyone you saw in game? 'Lesse... Nomad, Solo, Rockerboy... Fixer, another Solo, Corporate, Cop, Media... '

Quiotu on
    wbee62u815wj.png
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular

Hiro Protagonist is a big loser and should be ashamed of himself for getting impressionable young nerds hooked on japanese sword replicas

BahamutZERO.gif
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Hiro Protagonist is a big loser and should be ashamed of himself for getting impressionable young nerds hooked on japanese sword replicas

Every so often, I think to myself, ya know, I should probably read Snow Crash, but then I read stuff see stuff this and I'm like hmmmmmmm...

• The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular

Hey! Take that back!

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Zxerol wrote: »

Every so often, I think to myself, ya know, I should probably read Snow Crash, but then I read stuff see stuff this and I'm like hmmmmmmm...

to be fair, the katana-and-trenchcoat cliche was probably invented by Snow Crash so it wasn't a cliche yet when Neal Stephenson wrote it
    and also it's a very facetious shallow critique of the character because I'm making a joke

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I want to see some gameplay before I start getting hyped. The new trailer was nice, but so was the first one 5 years ago, this one just being in engine.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I'm happy that they're heavily consulting with the RPG:s creator Mike Pondsmith. Dude is a real visionary.
    Here is his interview where he explores the concept of Cyberpunk and how it connects with modern world and other works in genre:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/12/cyberpunk-2077-mike-pondsmith-interview/

Ww8FAMg.jpg