As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    Scythe suffers greatly when expectations are misaligned. It presents itself as a combat or at least conflict game and that's not the case at all. I agree with you that the neighbor bonus is a bigger source of interactivity than combat is.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    Managed to play Fog Of Love for the first time last night. My wife and I really enjoyed. It seems like a game to be played, rather than one to be won.

We did the tutorial, and had no hope of either of us reaching a destiny. Our characters, a muscular, short politician and a actress with a nose ring and a booming voice were just too different, and our trait goals weren’t ever going to work together.

Second game went better (we did the first scenario again), with both of us managing the Love Team destiny. It wasn’t all smooth sailing, but it worked out in the end. My disciplined Bodyguard wanted to protect the fun loving Musician, but she just wouldn’t let me.

Technically it’s a game, but it seems more like an activity. We’ll definitely be doing it again, I’m interested to see what happens in a longer scenario.

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    JonBob wrote: »
    Scythe suffers greatly when expectations are misaligned. It presents itself as a combat or at least conflict game and that's not the case at all. I agree with you that the neighbor bonus is a bigger source of interactivity than combat is.

This is something we argue in my friend group pretty often. I agree that Scythe's biggest issue is one of expectation, but ... does the game really present itself as a combat game? What was always so striking to me about Rozalski's art (which is, in effect, the entirety of Scythe's theme) was how mundane and pastoral everything is, despite the ominous mechs looming in the backgrounds.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    It's the minis more than the art, I think. When you've got this set of custom mechs for each faction, you expect them to do a bit more than occasionally waddle onto a resource pile.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I loved all the options presented to me in Scythe, and I finally ordered my own copy with the Wind Gambit expansion. I'm thinking of ordering a Broken Token insert, too. The person I played with had one, and it seemed like it sped set up and tear down significantly. It was nice that each player had their own little box for their pieces.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    It's the minis more than the art, I think. When you've got this set of custom mechs for each faction, you expect them to do a bit more than occasionally waddle onto a resource pile.

Okay, I can see that.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Friends copy of Thornwatch showed up today.

Man I forgot that game existed.

As is customary in my circles, he is bringing the rulebook to me to learn. :)

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    My first game of Puerto Rico wen't really bad (for me) but it was still excellent.

I was under the impression I should be specializing early. I ended up making a lot of Sugar and spent the game locked out of the trading boat and shipping boats. By the time I had Coffee and an Office to force the sale, I had two points while everyone was miles ahead. Still, it was delightful and I wouldn't mind playing it again.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    Puerto Rico is great. Still gets lots of play at game nights. The more we play the less I can rely on my usual strategies because people block me. I can’t remember the last time I got to build the Hospice.

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Got a copy of Reef Encounter from a trade today. Not sure when I'll get it to the table but it seems really interesting. And odd. It's a real mean looking tile laying game, vaguely T&Eish, from the designer of Keyflower. Thematically it's about growing a coral reef.
    I played Reef Encounter once a long time ago. I remember when we finished, the owner (who also had only played it once or twice) asked what I thought. My response was something along the lines of "It's certainly interesting. You could probably get very, very good at this game. I would never want to do that."
    :P
    Darric wrote: »
    JonBob wrote: »

This is something we argue in my friend group pretty often. I agree that Scythe's biggest issue is one of expectation, but ... does the game really present itself as a combat game? What was always so striking to me about Rozalski's art (which is, in effect, the entirety of Scythe's theme) was how mundane and pastoral everything is, despite the ominous mechs looming in the backgrounds.
    The minis bit as stated is a very nail-on-head response to this, but I just thought it might be worth posting a similar case.
    Eclipse also suffers massively from what the game looks like and tends to present itself as in comparison to what it is to actually play. Look at all these space ships! Look at all these parts you can cram into them! Look at all these cubes and disks you have!
    But then the actual game is mostly about how you can most efficiently build your shit because doing more than you reasonably should costs you a ton. It's not that Eclipse is necessarily a bad game because of it, but it was billed as the more approachable, more compact space opera, and good golly is it not anything close to that.
    Scythe is a game set in a land rebuilding after war, with an uneasy tension between the many factions in the nation. You grow a population, build mighty hulking war-machines, erect buildings on the board! ... and ... maybe skirmish with someone twice for some stars? Or run around the map grabbing a few tokens to draw cards with "stories" on them? You push some cubes around a small board. There's nothing of uneasy alliances or actual loss on the battlefield - everyone teleporting back to home base is as bland as it is nonsensical. The game just has a massive disconnect between what is given to you and what you do with any of it.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Don’t give me giant robots to not fight with.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Yeah, Scythe plays more like a cold war scenario rather than a "hot war".

Once you get past that and into the proper mindset, it's pretty good.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Don’t give me giant robots to not fight with.

This reminds me, I need to badger my friend with Mechs vs Minions into playing that some more, we only got through the first three or four scenarios.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Finally played that copy of Resistance I got for free + shipping. It is pretty fun despite the fact that it is probably too complicated for my brain. (I hate memory games and this requires a lot of that.)

Also I agree with my friend, who wishes there was a “the only way to win is not to play” mutual cooperation ending.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular

I am very curious about Thornwatch, after reading about it so often over the years. I love PA, but TW is a different beast.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »

I am very curious about Thornwatch, after reading about it so often over the years. I love PA, but TW is a different beast.

It got trapped in development hell for a really long time and went from being an RPG to a boardgame and back again a few times. I wouldn't have much hope for what they eventually managed to release

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Scythe and The Wind Gambit expansion have arrived. I may or may not have been constantly wanting to play with the airship figures like a child. And damn, those things are big. They make me worried they aren't going to fit well on the normal-sized map with anything else on the board. I'm slightly miffed one of the player boards has a corner missing some of its printed image - it's a small white space - but I guess it's not worth making too much of a fuss about. I'll have to get a marker to color some of it in.

My current worry is shelving space, however. My current, plastic shelf is full, and the closet is pretty much out of space, too. Does anyone have good, affordable storage solutions? I saw the IKEA Kallax was popular, but shipping costs more than half of the friggin' unit! It doesn't even come assembled! At this point, I'm thinking I may figure out how to build my own shelves.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Better homes and gardens cube organizers from Walmart are a good cheaper option

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Scythe and The Wind Gambit expansion have arrived. I may or may not have been constantly wanting to play with the airship figures like a child. And damn, those things are big. They make me worried they aren't going to fit well on the normal-sized map with anything else on the board. I'm slightly miffed one of the player boards has a corner missing some of its printed image - it's a small white space - but I guess it's not worth making too much of a fuss about. I'll have to get a marker to color some of it in.

My current worry is shelving space, however. My current, plastic shelf is full, and the closet is pretty much out of space, too. Does anyone have good, affordable storage solutions? I saw the IKEA Kallax was popular, but shipping costs more than half of the friggin' unit! It doesn't even come assembled! At this point, I'm thinking I may figure out how to build my own shelves.
    put up some shelves yourself instead?

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Everywhere seems to make a Kallax knock off, but yes, IKEA effectively do not do delivery

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    There are lots of kallax knockoffs, the bhg ones specifically are deep enough to accommodate boardgames well though. Lots of them aren't.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Played Azul last night and this happened:

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    One Night Werewolf was fun.

One night alien and vampire take a good thing and drag it through complicated rules and changes until you cannot easily teach the game at all. My goodness they're so ridiculous. We just wanted a fun late night game and they were not possible.

Didn't help either we were at a rectangular table and once you get to higher player counts you really need a circular one everyone can reach across.

I also forgot how much my wife hates monikers. Right after I got excited they are kickstarting a huge expansion too.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    One Night Werewolf was fun.

One night alien and vampire take a good thing and drag it through complicated rules and changes until you cannot easily teach the game at all. My goodness they're so ridiculous. We just wanted a fun late night game and they were not possible.

Some groups have played a staggering amount of onuw, presumably they are for them.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Played 4p Inis last night. Was great. I accidentally king-made my wife.

I was in dwindling last place but trying to catch up. I had a red card that I wanted to play, but it required that I play it in response to playing another red card. So i played another one that made me move 1 opposing clansman out of a territory I was present in. I picked one where my wife was chieftan and moved one of her guys to a brand new territory that player 3 held exclusively. He'd already taken a pretender token and was expecting to win. This move I did gave her 6 territories, so i thought the tied would force another round where i might catch up.

What I didnt realize is that she was still the Brenn, and thus wins all ties.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Played that at an event a couple weeks ago, and surprised myself by enjoying it quite a lot. It's not the sort of game that I usually get on with, but I think there's just enough complexity that you can keep in mind the possible actions people have, without being too overwhelmed by all the options. And the three victory conditions are all simple enough that you can size up the board at a glance. Wish the art was a bit more consistent, but overall it was a really good time, with lots of that "oh, you think you're winning? Well, what if I make player 3 win as well?" back-and-forth.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    Been playing Pathfinder ACG since I got the whole first...cycle or whatever pretty cheap. It's fun but is it supposed to be pretty easy? I thought it would be more punishing but we've cruised past the first three scenarios. Wondering if I'm missing something obvious in the rules.

• Options
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    Been playing Pathfinder ACG since I got the whole first...cycle or whatever pretty cheap. It's fun but is it supposed to be pretty easy? I thought it would be more punishing but we've cruised past the first three scenarios. Wondering if I'm missing something obvious in the rules.

From playing the app version, I feel there's an inverted bell curve to the difficulty - one player and six players are both very hard, three or four players is fairly easy.

Other considerations: were your dice especially hot? Also, there are some rules about which cards you're allowed to use in certain checks that seemed weird to me on the app, and I could easily see myself messing up and allowing too many cards IRL where there isn't automatic rules enforcement.

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

The issue I always run into in the Pathfinder ACG is running out of time. Like, I was almost never in danger of people dying, but unless you get fabulously lucky exploring a location, it's trivially easy to burn, like, 10 cards off your timer just to close that one place.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »

The issue I always run into in the Pathfinder ACG is running out of time. Like, I was almost never in danger of people dying, but unless you get fabulously lucky exploring a location, it's trivially easy to burn, like, 10 cards off your timer just to close that one place.

In the app's campaign mode it gets easier and easier as you level characters up and find things that help you filter cards or get multiple explorations to avoid that, but especially early on that's true. I agree about the inverted bell curve phenomenon; you get many fewer turns apiece with 6 people before the timer runs out than you do with 3.

Auralynx on
  • Options
    Fry wrote: »

From playing the app version, I feel there's an inverted bell curve to the difficulty - one player and six players are both very hard, three or four players is fairly easy.

Other considerations: were your dice especially hot? Also, there are some rules about which cards you're allowed to use in certain checks that seemed weird to me on the app, and I could easily see myself messing up and allowing too many cards IRL where there isn't automatic rules enforcement.

They were pretty hot although as a sorcerer I never lacked for the ability to fight something with my innate ability. Also, I felt that I could vastly overkill combats since I had five blessings in the starter deck and I acquired the blessing that lets you add two dice to a magic check or whatever. Discarding a card to roll a d12+2 and a d6 (average damage 12) is pretty good, or when I had the spell card, d12+2d4+2 (average damage 13.5) does a lot of damage most of the time, and then I can add ANOTHER d12 if I need to win by chucking a blessing.

I think part of it was that there were a lot of things I absolutely could not deal with at all, but the penalty was just that I didn't get anything for it. Oh no, I didn't get the warhammer, I don't care. If those were rolls I cared about or there was a larger penalty for failure, it might have stretched some resources. Even on the spell cards I kind of maybe would have wanted, I can only keep three in the deck anyways, so they're temporary boosts at best.

My buddy had more issues with combats as a Paladin. I was really just nuking crap.

• Options
    If you find yourself running out of time, you need to spend more of your blessings on getting extra explores, rather than spending them for bonus dice. This is IMO the big thing about different player counts: as a solo character, you have plenty of time to thoroughly explore every location, and no one is watching your back, so almost all of your blessings should be used for extra dice, especially for closing locations. For parties of six, you do not have nearly enough time to explore everything, so you need to spend most of your blessings on extra explores just so you can find the villain, and many characters have ways to assist others through non-blessing means. Though you definitely want someone in the party holding a blessing or two, just for that extra bit of help to ensure you win against the villain whenever you find it - defeating the villain is good for a free location close, while losing to the villain eats away at your timer.

If you have access to any sort of healing, if you can use that to get more blessings, that is a gamechanger.

• Options
    Fry wrote: »
    If you find yourself running out of time, you need to spend more of your blessings on getting extra explores, rather than spending them for bonus dice. This is IMO the big thing about different player counts: as a solo character, you have plenty of time to thoroughly explore every location, and no one is watching your back, so almost all of your blessings should be used for extra dice, especially for closing locations. For parties of six, you do not have nearly enough time to explore everything, so you need to spend most of your blessings on extra explores just so you can find the villain, and many characters have ways to assist others through non-blessing means. Though you definitely want someone in the party holding a blessing or two, just for that extra bit of help to ensure you win against the villain whenever you find it - defeating the villain is good for a free location close, while losing to the villain eats away at your timer.

If you have access to any sort of healing, if you can use that to get more blessings, that is a gamechanger.

We're playing as a twosome which is maybe kind of a blend of those two options. I think maybe one time we felt pressed for time we were maybe three cards short. Also it's probably not unlikely that we got pretty lucky in the other two games we played. I seem to remember closing things out pretty quickly.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I play Pathfinder ACG (Rise of the Runelords) with 4 players in a very spaced out campaign with distant friends when we visit them.

We have indeed found most scenarios pretty easy and we're far enough in the campaign that we're to the point of banishing advanced cards now. It's really mostly down to being lucky about where the villain/henchman cards end up in the shuffle. With a bit of thought to putting people in the right place to temporarily close locations, you can often corner the villain very early if you find him. And with 4 players, there are so many buff cards we can throw into the final fight it's often something we roll just for the novelty of rolling that many (virtual on a rolling app) dice rather than because we can in any way roll low enough to lose.

It's not really a deep gamey group though so fun and pretty easy with a bit of sensible thought suits us fine, but I can see it lacking in challenge for those after that.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    I play Pathfinder ACG (Rise of the Runelords) with 4 players in a very spaced out campaign with distant friends when we visit them.

We have indeed found most scenarios pretty easy and we're far enough in the campaign that we're to the point of banishing advanced cards now. It's really mostly down to being lucky about where the villain/henchman cards end up in the shuffle. With a bit of thought to putting people in the right place to temporarily close locations, you can often corner the villain very early if you find him. And with 4 players, there are so many buff cards we can throw into the final fight it's often something we roll just for the novelty of rolling that many (virtual on a rolling app) dice rather than because we can in any way roll low enough to lose.

It's not really a deep gamey group though so fun and pretty easy with a bit of sensible thought suits us fine, but I can see it lacking in challenge for those after that.

It's still fun it just kind of shocked me coming from Dragonfire or other co-ops that are pretty hard and unforgiving.

I still have yet to find the perfect rpg without a DM game. And yes I own Gloomhaven.

• Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Gonna hop in the way-back machine for a minute with a question for Pandemic: Legacy Season 2
    We recon'd Africa the other night and one of the cards in the package is called "Inoculation Unit". It say you can put 2 or 3 cards from the Infection discards "into Package 6". Do I understand correctly that I just pop open the #6 box and drop the cards in until whenever that box gets opened?

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Gonna hop in the way-back machine for a minute with a question for Pandemic: Legacy Season 2
    We recon'd Africa the other night and one of the cards in the package is called "Inoculation Unit". It say you can put 2 or 3 cards from the Infection discards "into Package 6". Do I understand correctly that I just pop open the #6 box and drop the cards in until whenever that box gets opened?
    It's been a while, but IIRC that box should already be opened at that point?

Do you have the Innoculation action?

• Options
    Holy shit Medici vs Strozzi is BRUTAL. real fun though. If you play 2p games and you like trying to value things correctly, and also games that are mean as fuck and hard to play well where you feel that everything is on fire constantly and all your choices are bad... You should try it :D I'm not sure that I'm going to find much of an audience for it honestly because I think my wife will violently hate it and she's generally my 2p buddy, but man it's a firecracker of a game.

Also, Reef Encounter is infinitely fascinating to me. I've been fiending hard for another game of it since playing once 2p a couple days ago. Quite unlike anything else in my experience, with lots of space for creative play and interesting moves. Really need to play it with 3 or 4, and also just so many more times.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I'm not saying the new Jeff Beck game Getaway Driver is on Kickstarter, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxxXa5MN40E

Taking place in the Burgle Bros universe, Getaway Driver is a 2-player competitive game where one person is the getaway driver trying to get out of the city while the other player is in control of the cops trying to catch them. Some of the fun aspects include the playfield being based on your table. Is there a napkin on the table? Well, you better build around it! Table edges are dead-ends, so the driver needs to "steer clear" of them.

While I didn't help with this game, I'm still helping Jeff playtest the rules and iron out anything that might be weird. $27 (including tax + US shipping) gets you the game and all the stretch goals (3 out of 5 already unlocked).

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I'm having a move out sale.

Well, a combination of moving out and changing tastes. This thread gets first dibs. Shipping prices will vary of course.

Dark Souls: The Board Game - $30.00. (Its okay if you house rule the shit out of it.)
    Rising Sun, Amazon Retail: $40.00 (I haven't even played this thing)
    Le Havre: $30.00 (Too fiddly for me. Encroaches on why I play Great Western Trail)
    Android Mainframe: $5.00 (Unless FFG digitizes, I'm done with LCGs and Android, and that's not meant to sound hostile to FFG, they rock.)
    Unknown: $25.00 (I'm picky with co-op games.)

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
This discussion has been closed.