As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WH40K] Previews galore!

• LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    I need to find a way to get my OMI Termie Inquisitor back into an army after the factions-in-a-detachment rule made my current lists illegal. Maybe even at a -1 CP penalty.

Because I'm betting every Imperial Knights player has forgotten about the Dominate psychic power - where target character fires or attacks in melee with one weapon of your choice against target friendly unit.

• StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    What is a good primer color to use for Space Wolves?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »

According to my brother a dark grey or The fang if you are using the GW paints

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Brainleech wrote: »

that's what the robot says to do, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hakz6mMDTOM

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Lanlaorn wrote: »
    I need to find a way to get my OMI Termie Inquisitor back into an army after the factions-in-a-detachment rule made my current lists illegal. Maybe even at a -1 CP penalty.

Because I'm betting every Imperial Knights player has forgotten about the Dominate psychic power - where target character fires or attacks in melee with one weapon of your choice against target friendly unit.

Alcolytes are single model Elite units and have a base cost of 8 points a piece. An Inquisitor plus 24 points of Las Pistol/Chainsword chaff Alcolytes will get you a Vanguard Detachment for +1CP. Their max unit size is 6, so you could bring up to 18 if you had points to spare and really wanted to go hard with the character screening for your Inquisitor.

edit: They also have the Authority of the Inquisition special rule and a look out sir on a 2+ within 3", so you could teleport your Terminator Inquisitor in and drop ten Alcolytes in a Drop Pod 9" away from the Knight in question if you really wanted to, and he would be protected even if the Knight walked over your screen and attacked your Inquisitor from behind.

SmokeStacks on
    Brainleech wrote: »

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Base-The-Fang

This? I didn't see a spray on their site called the fang.

What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/The-Fang-Spray-New

It's expensive though.

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/The-Fang-Spray-New

It's expensive though.

Oh, damn. That is kind of pricey.

I watched the dude from the video linked paint up Grey Hunters. I don't think I will ever finish painting my Space Wolves and Necrons.

I don't think I will ever finish painting my Space Wolves and Necrons.

From what I've seen from a few lazy people in my meta Necrons can look pretty good if you just prime them black, drybrush them with Leadbelcher, wash them with Nuln Oil, and then go back over some details with Leadbelcher again before finishing whatever other green/red/whatever detail areas are left. You can batch paint them extremely quickly if you want a decent tabletop quality model from whatever that specific Dynasty is.

I still have models from Dark Imperium that need to be painted, and older models that I painted when I was just beginning that look like trash to me now that I want to touch up, and models I've picked up here and there for my Marine army, let alone the Orks I've been slowly working on. I feel like if I just busted out an hour a day without fail for a few weeks I would be completely caught up.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    I think the secret of the hobby is that spray painting, washing, and then picking out a couple of details leads to models that look completely fine.

Not good, but fine for playing games with.

edited June 2018
    Well for the Necrons I have a specific plan. It isn't going to be really fancy or anything but I want to do a group blue, a other orange, and another green and then maybe my melee specific units I'll do red.

JbrDf9S.jpg

Something like that but without the silver.

The Space Wolves are going to be the hardest though. I don't have a lot of brushes and I'm not great at staying steady when trying to paint small details. Plus I have like 7k points of Space Wolves and pretty much all of it is Bloodclaws, Grey Hunters, Long Fangs, and Terminators.

Stragint on

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Burnage wrote: »
    I think the secret of the hobby is that spray painting, washing, and then picking out a couple of details leads to models that look completely fine.

Not good, but fine for playing games with.

I am way less talented at painting than most here, but spray primer, colors you want, ink or wash for lowlights, occasional highlights got me a lot of table-ready Cygnar and Everblight quickly back in the day. It was when I tried to improve on that for individual models that I usually got into trouble.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

I really can't decide on how I want to paint the Night Scythe. Nothing is popping out to me as I look up pictures.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Can you strip the GW resin with Iso alcohol? The FW one as well?

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Hm, wow i’m both really impressed and really let down by the Castellan kit.

It’s two identical sprues and one different sprue, and they use a lot of mirrored, symmetrical building tricks in order to make it all come together. So they only built two molds for the whole kit.

But there is exactly one of every component. One head, one face mask, one icon to put on the back. Gone are the multiple faces and masks and imperial vs AdMech icons. And it only comes with the weapons for on variant.

This feels like a huge step backwards.

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    Maybe this is just GW trying to offer the olive branch of peace to all the independent modelers out there by giving them a free market on 3rd party knight bits.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    So one of my club members was informed today the follow IG units are gone: Voystron and Mordian. Probably Armageddon soon as they are also metal.

I hope they redo them into plastic or at least good upgrade kits. I want to have Armageddon ork hunters as my guard regiment to go with my Deathwatch.

u7stthr17eud.png
    I went with van Saar necromunda gangers for my obligatory guard allies, they struck the right line of elite but disposable troops to support deathwatch killteams.

• TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I finally finished painting the space marine half of the dark imperium set.

I originally got into 40k in 2004/2005 but I was bad and the tutorial I found sucked. So I never got my painting done as I was discouraged a lot.

Well fast forward to last month and I decided to dive back in. Finished all the space marines ajd a squad of old pewter combat knife scouts I had. If I strip and repaint my old captain I'll be at 1006 points and ready to play a game.

I made an album of my finished painted dudes. Sorry if the lighting sucks I have some other pictures let me know.

TheGerbil on
  • VikingViking Registered User regular
    loving those bases

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
    edited June 2018
    Viking wrote: »
    loving those bases

I recently had to move and in so doing lost the stands to the inceptors.

So only being like 3 weeks back in the hobby I had to watch a few youtube videos and then improvise how to make new bases for them so they still appeared elevated.

I documented the making of two of them here, mostly so I could look back on what I liked and didn't and try to improve next time around. I have since improved how I apply the yellow part in the second to last step.

TheGerbil on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Looks like all of the Astra Militarum metal regiments are gone from the GW site.

• FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    Well, to be uncharacteristically positive: maybe that means they're going to be releasing more IG plastics!

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Battle Report!

2000 (okay, 1999) points of my Death Guard squared off versus 2000 points of Astra Militarum. I had had a rough time against his Imperial Guard in prior battles and this would be the first genuine struggle we had in his city terrain. Due to this, I decided to bring some heavy guns that could also move down the city streets.

Two squads of 10 cultists
    One squad of 5 Plague Marines, two equipped with Meltas.
    One Chaos Lord with a Melta.
    One Malignant Plaguecaster.
    Two Foul Blightspawns.
    One Biologus Putrifier (grenades for days).
    One Daemon Prince of Nurgle (w/wings).
    Two Plagueburst Crawlers
    One Helbrute with twin lascannon and missile launcher
    Two HELLFORGED LEVIATHANS, one with two Butcher Cannon Arrays, one with a Gravity Flux Bombard and a Butcher Cannon.
    One Rhino with a combiflamer.

I did not anticipate the Rhino being the hero of the day.

Arrayed against me were many platoons of infantry, CREED himself, Pask in a Leman Russ, a normal Leman Russ, a Tank Commander Leman Russ, two Basilisks, something big which had 4 missiles it could launch, two mortar squads, a squad of Ratlings, CELESTINE and her two wenches, 5 Sisters of Battle bolters, A Valkyrie, and a squad of 4 Bolgryns.

Uh oh, stuff I hadn't fought before.

The battlefield -

City
    l2tei3to3jc2.jpg

I stuffed everyone in the Rhino and got first turn. The Rhino careened down the central avenue, past the fallen statue of an Imperial Saint or General. It popped smoke and also had Miasma of Pestilence placed on it in the hopes that it would survive.

My Helbrute got an angle on a Basilisk and completely destroyed it and a Leviathan got an angle on Pask, bringing him down to three wounds.

Faceoff of Transports
    g9htpgc8ej93.jpg

He responds by shooting his Valkyrie over my Rhino and dropping the Bolgryns out in my back line. Celestine rolled well and screamed across the map to join in in attacking my backline of a Helbrute and Plagueburst Crawlers. I personally believe here is where he (spoiler) lost the battle as if he had redirected, he could have encircled and destroyed the Rhino with almost everyone inside lost. As it was, he relied on his firepower and with a -2 to hit....

Virtually everything he had opened up on the Rhino and when all was said and done, it was at 3 of 10 wounds. It had survived.

Transports deliver their goods in my backline.
    pdrimhv3tr5q.jpg

On my turn, my return fire continued with the addition of Meltas and Foul Blightspawns. Devastation was wreaked. Pask died, another Basilisk went down, and the normal Leman Russ started to suffer damage.

Random shot of one of my Dreads stomping by some Cultists.
    20180609_145139.jpg

He had started to deliver damage back, but the Helbrute was not killed until his second turn (and it managed to kill a +4 invuln having Bolgryn due to Celestine on overwatch with a lascannon). He conceded when in his third turn he had only managed to tack on a Malignant Blightcaller kill and four of five Marines.

It was a crushing Death Guard victory (no Leviathans or Plagueburst Crawlers had even been damaged yet) considering it was a Maelstrom mode and even the objectives (+ first blood) had me up five to two. The only thing I feel slightly bad is I wonder if I brought a bullshit list?

I dunno.
    [edited most of the crap pics in. I was wrong on flash usage]
    [edited ALL of the crap pics in]

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    So I spent pretty much all day yesterday repainting a space marine captain I had stripped down. I wish I had taken some before and after photos.

Here's one of my one of my old marines vs. the very first marine I painted this year (the first guy I painted in 14 years). A big thank you to James at the Burnaby GW who gave me the painting tutorial:
    34PzSqjh.jpg

Here's my repainted Captain:
    jBc87lth.jpg

Here is an album with that image and a few others.

edited June 2018
    I made this.
    Z7ctMv2.png

Man does zooming in on a camera make you realize every little mistake you made painting.

TheGerbil on
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    It adds a lot if you imagine the first line in one of those ridiculous voices they gave SM characters like Apollo Diomedes in the Dawn of War games.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Serious tip to be able to enjoy your painting and actually paint better models:

Never judge your models off of zoomed in photos or holding them really close to your face.

Judge them holding them at about an arm’s length because that is the distance you will see them from 99% of the time while playing great. Sometimes a model that looks great close up looks like garbage on the tabletop because it is full of too many details that just wash out into a mess at arm’s length.

Inquisitor wrote: »

Never judge your models off of zoomed in photos or holding them really close to your face.

Judge them holding them at about an arm’s length because that is the distance you will see them from 99% of the time while playing great. Sometimes a model that looks great close up looks like garbage on the tabletop because it is full of too many details that just wash out into a mess at arm’s length.

Oh I know. It's just looking at this picture I can see every little mistake. The camera adds 50 errors in this case...

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    How is this for a Deathwatch list? I'm attempting to maximise the use of my DW: Overkill minis along with the GS box.
    ++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Deathwatch) ++

Armory of the Watch Fortress (2 Relics)

Gametype: Matched

Reference: SIA Weapon Profiles

Use Beta Rules

+ HQ +

Libraria : 1) Veil of Time, 2) Might of Heroes, Bolt Pistol, Force sword, Tome of the Ectoclades

Watch Captain Artemis

Watch Master: Lord of Hidden Knowledge, The Beacon Angelis, Warlord

+ Troops +

Intercessors
    . Aggressor
    . . Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher: Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm Grenade Launchers
    . Hellblaster: Bolt Pistol, Plasma incinerator
    . Hellblaster: Bolt Pistol, Plasma incinerator
    . Inceptor
    . . Two Plasma Exterminators: 2x Plasma Exterminator
    . Intercessor: Bolt Pistol, Stalker Bolt Rifle
    . Intercessor Sergeant: Bolt Pistol, Stalker Bolt Rifle

Veterans
    . Biker w/ Teleport Homer: Power sword, Twin boltgun
    . Black Shield: 2x Power sword
    . Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Heavy flamer
    . . Power Fist and Meltagun: Meltagun, Power fist
    . Vanguard Veteran: Lightning Claw (Pair)
    . Vanguard Veteran: Chainsword, Hand Flamer
    . Veteran: Heavy Thunder Hammer
    . Veteran: Power maul, Storm shield
    . Veteran: Plasma pistol, Power sword
    . Veteran: Bolt Pistol, Power axe
    . Watch Sergeant: Combi-plasma, Xenophase Blade

Veterans
    . Terminator w/ Heavy Weapon: Assault cannon, Power fist
    . Veteran: Chainsword, Combi-melta
    . Veteran: Chainsword, Storm Bolter
    . Veteran w/ Heavy Weapon: Deathwatch Frag Cannon
    . Watch Sergeant: Storm Bolter, Storm shield

+ Elites +

Venerable Dreadnough]: Heavy plasma cannon
    . Dreadnought combat weapon w/Storm Bolter: Storm bolter

+ Flyer +

Corvus Blackstar: Auspex Array, Hurricane bolter, Twin lascannon
    . 2x Stormstrike Missile Launchers: 2x Stormstrike missile launcher

I still need to purchase a few things, like the Corvus Blackstar, Hellblasters, an Inceptor and an Aggressor. But this comes out to 1750.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »

Oh I know. It's just looking at this picture I can see every little mistake. The camera adds 50 errors in this case...

Is it really an error if you can't see it until you blow it up 20 times actual size? :biggrin:

No but it's just funny cause I finished painting something and think, "Man, this looks pretty good!" Then I take a picture to show some friends also in the hobby and think, "Oh no this is fucking trash." as I look at the picture.

Man you guys act like photoshop ain’t a thing. I’m gonna use the brush tool on these imperfect pictures harder than I used the actual brush.

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Bizazedo reminded me about the last battle report I forgot to post. After game three of my friend and I's three game DG/GK campaign ended in a (super cheesy) draw, we pulled it back to 1500 pts and had game four to determine an ultimate victor.

It was grueling.

We used one of the missions from the matrix in the rulebook (first blood, killpoints, behind enemy lines and a point for killing a warlord) and random deployment (ended up being dawn of war). He had a couple units of termies, a unit of interceptors, a librarian, a GK baby carrier (dreadknight?) and a chapter master in a baby carrier.

With the narrative having both of our names characters (Typhus/Valdis) having died last game I brought two Lords of Contagion, a plaguecaster, two big blobs of pox's, a smaller blob of cultists, two foul blightspawn and a blightbringer, with three foetid bloat drones as flavor.... oh, and a borrowed lascannon/flamerfisted hellbrute.

By turn three I was ready to concede. I'd kept one of the LoC's in reserve to deep strike, he deep struck a group of termies and both baby carriers off my flank. I'd castled up pretty hard turn one and was slowly advancing, but the first two turns I couldn't make a disgustingly resilient save for anything and by the end of turn three I'd lost all my cultists and all but 3 pox's, even with churning them using CP. My opponent made a ridiculous number of hits and wounds given how many dice were rolled and I had, up to now, done almost no wounds to him in return. This included making an 8 hit roll for 1 wound with a str 3 plaguespewer and then rolling a 12 str plaguespewer that managed to roll 1 for number of hits... and a 1 again after using a CP to reroll. I was feeling pretty crappy.

Turn three things ground to a halt though on his offensive. By advancing together I'd managed to get him into range of ALL the plaguespewers and sprayers. His one dreadknight made it into charge range of my hellbrute, who's ablative pox's were completely shredded. It ate some wounds from the flamer on overwatch and didn't really do much in the fight phase. In return my hellbrute started punching huge holes in the dreadknight and took two more turns to die. He managed to get his termies into melee with my LoC who went down pretty hard and didn't deal a lot in return, this freed up my blightspawn to hose the entire squad before they were tied up in melee by his other termies and interceptors.

Then his librarian showed up and hit everything with a vortex of doom. This hurt a lot... he dealt wounds to most of what I had left and left most of my characters at two wounds or less. He also peril'd and killed himself :lol:

Termies charged into melee again with my blightspawn. Both of them died, but again this freed up my bloat drones to hose his interceptors and more termies.

During all of this, my plaguecaster managed to deal a reasonable amount of mortal wounds for a couple of turns just by getting off a few lucky psychic abilities my opponent didn't manage to counter. Then the grand master charged him and killed him dead.

Things were looking bleak but my bloat drones managed to clean up what wounds were remaining on both baby carriers, killing his grandmaster and assistant, partly from one of my bloat drones exploding goo all over them.

Then my opponent asked me what turn it was... in our haste to slug it out we completely lost track of turns. Having some idea that it was between round 5 and 7, we agreed to slug it out to the bitter end, points be damned.

With only two foetid bloat drones left against one of his slightly damaged termy squads we both went to work. Two more very quick turns and I managed to squeeze out the victory with one drone at 2/3 health and another at 2 wounds left. He couldn't shoot well enough to kill them and every charge of his met with brutal overwatch from the plaguespitters. Even his melee couldn't finish them and being able to fall back then shoot again meant murder for the gray knights.

It was another grueling match, but I was able to claim victory.

A couple of photos below...
    zucua5l5lrnq.jpg
    ahjp1p49nreg.jpg

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Damn, that's a crisp table and armies.

website_header.jpg
  • KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    A local games shop has some pretty good terrain and mats :D

Also my friends Grey knights are extremely well painted.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Does anyone have a lot of experience stripping paint of plastic models? I'm trying to clean my Necrons and I had them sitting in isopropyl alcohol for about a week and then I scrubbed them and put them into simple green for a week and scrubbed them. Problem I'm running into is that some of the models aren't coming clean with the toothbrush I'm using. If I scratch the paint with my nail it scrapes off the paint so I'm thinking maybe I need something with stiffer bristles.

• McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    How clean are you getting them? Plastic will almost always still have -some- paint still on it, but once you re-prime it, it should be fine. Also, some types of primer paint will bond to the plastic and will never come off, but should still be fine with a recoat.

website_header.jpg
    McGibs wrote: »
    How clean are you getting them? Plastic will almost always still have -some- paint still on it, but once you re-prime it, it should be fine. Also, some types of primer paint will bond to the plastic and will never come off, but should still be fine with a recoat.

I pretty much just want the thicker layer of paint gone. I'm fine with the models basically being stained by the primer. I can just tell on some of the models there is a layer of paint that I can scratch off.

I scored a NOS Armiger Helverin for $28. Are there any size comparison pictures between it and any models other than full size Knights?