As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hunting for a Windows 10 driver for a USB Temperature sensor - any tips?

I bought one of those USB Temperature sensors that are cheaply available in lots of on-line stores, but it didn't come with any drivers except for Windows XP ones :-(

The name of sensor seem to vary as it is clearly made somewhere in China and then sold on by several vendors using what ever name they choose. For that reason I have been unable to track down the original producer where should hope to maybe find a Windows 10 driver - ideally a 64 bit one. A Windows 7 driver should work also I think.

The sensor looks like this:
sku_441751_1.jpg

I have also considered buying a different sensor, but it seems all I can find is either variations of the same China model I have already or really professional grade lab equipment ones that cost a bundle.

Bones heal, glory is forever.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Also if you go to the properties on the device in the device manager, and go to the "details" tab and select "hardware IDs" from the dropdown.

Let us know what is listed there and we might be able to help a little more.

For instance, my mouse is:
    HID\VID_413C&PID_301A&REV_0100

The VID_**** and the PID_**** are the real important parts, but just copy/paste the whole top line here.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »
    Also if you go to the properties on the device in the device manager, and go to the "details" tab and select "hardware IDs" from the dropdown.

Let us know what is listed there and we might be able to help a little more.

For instance, my mouse is:
    HID\VID_413C&PID_301A&REV_0100

The VID_**** and the PID_**** are the real important parts, but just copy/paste the whole top line here.

Good info - I did not know that.

Here is what it says about the device:
    Device HID\VID_0C45&PID_7401&MI_01\7&c6abcee&0&0000 was migrated.

So that should make it: 0c45:7401 which is actually a match for drivers found by bowen. Only they are unfortunately Linux ones.

My Windows is listing the device as a Human Interface Device / HID compliant vendor-defined device, so in a way there is a driver and maybe I should really be looking for software that can interact with it rather than looking for a driver

I shall do some searching see if I can find something.

bowen wrote: »

Spot on. On the documentation to one of those I followed a link to where the poster got his device from, on that site there was then a link to a driver only it turned out to be a link to a domain for sale so no drivers.

Thank you both of you. I now have more to go on and will go search, but more info/tips is of course very welcome.

• Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Bingo. Googling the device ID I found a lot of stuff among which there was yet another version being sold on Amazon and in the reviews people there had written, someone mentioned a piece of software which was way better than the included one and luckily he also named the software.
    So a bit more web searching and I found said software which is called ThermoHID, it is a hobby project with a ton of functionality which among others means it just works with my device and runs on Windows 10 even without installation.

The help here and also the finding such gems is a big part of why the internet is so amazing. :D

The software I found is located here: thermohid.co.uk/ and kudos to Steve Timms who is the guy that made it and put it on line.

BlindZenDriver on