As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Xbox/XBL] Crackdown 3 is out! And not delayed again!

• Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Hopefully it's Xbox one x at $350 price point

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Xbox is Microsoft's gaming division, not just Microsoft's console division.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

I still think that's just some retailers aggressive with pricing, but I guess we'll see.

If the X was going to meet or beat the price of the pro, Microsoft would have fallen over themselves to announce it during the press conference. They would have found an excuse to announce it TWICE.

edited June 2018

If the X was going to meet or beat the price of the pro, Microsoft would have fallen over themselves to announce it during the press conference. They would have found an excuse to announce it TWICE.

Yeah, they already made a point of the discount to $450 publicly. I don't recall any mention of $400.

They're not Sony. Microsoft tends to announce things sooner or later, not "Do it and let people figure that shit out on their own." Especially anything they think they can remotely brag about.

Synthesis on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Wraith260 wrote: »
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    Rumor is Halo 5 PC.
    Why would they make a PC port a point of discussion on Inside Xbox? I don't ever tune into those, so I'm just guessing, but it seems like Inside Xbox would be for Xbox announcements. I imagine that the majority of folks who own an Xbox don't own a gaming PC, so they could care less about a PC port.

Again, I don't ever check out Inside Xbox, so I could be talking out of my ass.

because they see the two platforms as being complimentary and the Xbox brand has expanded beyond just the console.

They should devote another conference to solely explaining a strategy they revealed what was it... one-two years ago. Obviously.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    I've mentioned last year was kind of a red flag for Microsoft and this year was going to be the canary in the coal mine.

Between their continually anemic immediate line-up, their biggest announcement being "Here are 5 new internal studios, most of which won't have new content for years" and the fact that they're fucking ALREADY talking about the next Xbox (Fuck you, I just bought an X! I don't want to hear that shit!), it feels like MS is finally just kinda giving up for this generation.

edited June 2018
    I've mentioned last year was kind of a red flag for Microsoft and this year was going to be the canary in the coal mine.

Between their continually anemic immediate line-up, their biggest announcement being "Here are 5 new internal studios, most of which won't have new content for years" and the fact that they're fucking ALREADY talking about the next Xbox (Fuck you, I just bought an X! I don't want to hear that shit!), it feels like MS is finally just kinda giving up for this generation.

I didn't get that sense--Microsoft has a long tradition about hinting at hardware years in advanced, even before making official announcements (this was definitely not that, this was "Yes, we are still working on new hardware.") For all I know, it was a direct counter to Sony's internal opinion that this cycle was coming to a close. It doesn't exclude, for example, a revision of existing hardware (a cheaper XB1X for example).

Or I'm wrong. I kept waiting for something further to be said on hardware, and they never did (unlike them talking about operating software, which they did a lot). I'm not worried personally.

Though if they pulled a Sony--"We're not making this hardware. Oh, has it leaked? Yes, we're making this hardware. It'll be on sale for in two months, we're not going to talk about this further."--my brain would probably explode from my sheer wrongness.

Synthesis on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    So. I can't be the only person who is furious over what has been done to Forza Horizon 4, can I?

Please?

You don't make a point in your press conference to mention there will be new hardware upcoming when you've just put out your top of the line $500 box. (The X isn't even a year old yet, remember)

• Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    So. I can't be the only person who is furious over what has been done to Forza Horizon 4, can I?

Please?

what exactly do you think has been 'done' to it to be angry about?

You don't make a point in your press conference to mention there will be new hardware upcoming when you've just put out your top of the line $500 box. (The X isn't even a year old yet, remember)

or maybe you do when you've also just mentioned that you think the future of your brand will include streaming to tablets and phones and you want to reassure purists that they'll still be able to buy a dedicated game box in 5-10 years.

If how they handled the Xbox One X is any indication, Microsoft will:

1) Give a lot of advance warning (they were the first people to even hint there might be an intermediate console generation)
    2) Be very specific about the hardware, especially if it's something they can brag about it. They really like to talk about that silicon shit. A black rectangular outline doesn't qualify.

Since every single Microsoft console has gotten a major revision since the original Xbox (and even that had hardware changes), an Xbox One X revision is almost guaranteed. It could be that, especially since their revisions tend to add some "minor" functionality as well as include a price reduction. I'm not even convinced with that, but it's still more believable than "Here's the Xbox Two. Surprise. Bet you expected some warning like every other time we've done this."

Hell, some sort of accessory to link the Xbox One X to the third-party Windows Mixed Reality (VR) headsets seems more believable, if Microsoft was to join that increasingly sinking ship (maybe that makes it believable).

or maybe you do when you've also just mentioned that you think the future of your brand will include streaming to tablets and phones and you want to reassure purists that they'll still be able to buy a dedicated game box in 5-10 years.

...Or you bring up that you'll be continuing to support the hardware you JUST PUT OUT! You push the new hardware when you have new hardware to push.

Like, if the One X was an old ass console I wouldn't be saying this, but it came out EIGHT MONTHS AGO! and they're already treating it like its long in the tooth.

Please?

Not being in Japan? I mean, I thought it was going to be there too....but I can't say, with any certainty, that the British Isle aren't as good or a superior location.

Unless it's something else. I think they're going to include motorcycles? Or will that just be AI?

Huh...intriguing. A black rectangle can be almost anything, and Microsoft has basically gone crazy on the whole parallel technologies (see their Surface line). Maybe instead of VR ("Hey, remember Kinect? Here's another boondoggle!") maybe it's something completely out of left field.

Please?

It being always online, filled with other players, which is terrible.

Like, if the One X was an old ass console I wouldn't be saying this, but it came out EIGHT MONTHS AGO! and they're already treating it like its long in the tooth.

Really? Because they doubled down on the whole "this is the most powerful console out there and please look at all these games that have X enhancements oh yeah baby" this conference.

That doesn't sound like "long in the tooth." If anything, that's more "Yeah, this is our main console. Not the other one that totally was our main console."

Synthesis wrote: »

Please?

Not being in Japan? I mean, I thought it was going to be there too....but I can't say, with any certainty, that the British Isle aren't as good or a superior location.

Unless it's something else. I think they're going to include motorcycles? Or will that just be AI?

i thought it was gonna be Japan too. those rumours made sense. am pretty happy with the British setting though, but then again, i'm British so...

also i think the motorcycles we saw were just part of a Showcase event. they've had shit like that in all the Horizon games.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Please?

It's not always online, you can disconnect and play with Drivatars at any time. http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/10/forza-horizon-4-every-season-is-racing-season-ign-first?page=3

Please?

Ah. That's a good point--except I doubt that will be the only way to play it. It's extremely hard to picture a FH game that doesn't make allowances for people with slower connections ("The entire continent of Oceania.") or other potential obstacles. And they're basically required to include scaled-down AI for less skilled racers (or people who just suck like I do). We've already seen things to suggest AI presence, like motorcycles and hovercraft anyway (and a "no AI" game seems beyond their capabilities frankly), I sort of assumed there would just be a toggle that would allow you to enable if you don't want the whole "this is the defining new feature of our game." Unlike weather, which I'm pretty sure is there permanently.

Now, I can see the possibility of trolling being an issue, but that's something they need to address no matter what.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    As an 1X owner that showed a lot of stuff to be excited about

A single sentence referencing the future isn't cause for concern. Keep in mind this generation is only nearing 5 years old.

Crippl3 wrote: »

Please?

It's not always online, you can disconnect and play with Drivatars at any time. http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/06/10/forza-horizon-4-every-season-is-racing-season-ign-first?page=3

also isn't this exactly what they did with Horizon 3 too?

Please?

also isn't this exactly what they did with Horizon 3 too?

Technically drivatars (still not super happy with that name) took precedence, and you entered instances to race with other people? Or am I getting that wrong? I'm Motorsport first before Horizon.

Please?

OH THANK GOD

Playing racing games with other people is somehow worse than playing just about any other kind of game with other people.

Panic rescinded.

edited June 2018

If how they handled the Xbox One X is any indication, Microsoft will:

1) Give a lot of advance warning (they were the first people to even hint there might be an intermediate console generation)
    2) Be very specific about the hardware, especially if it's something they can brag about it. They really like to talk about that silicon shit. A black rectangular outline doesn't qualify.

Since every single Microsoft console has gotten a major revision since the original Xbox (and even that had hardware changes), an Xbox One X revision is almost guaranteed. It could be that, especially since their revisions tend to add some "minor" functionality as well as include a price reduction. I'm not even convinced with that, but it's still more believable than "Here's the Xbox Two. Surprise. Bet you expected some warning like every other time we've done this."

Hell, some sort of accessory to link the Xbox One X to the third-party Windows Mixed Reality (VR) headsets seems more believable, if Microsoft was to join that increasingly sinking ship (maybe that makes it believable).

I don't feel like you take time out of your conference to hint at upcoming hardware revisions; you either state them flatly or just let them come out with little fanfare. Spencer hinted at the Scorpio nearly two years (February 2016) before it came out, and this feels similar. (Only even more noticeable since it was at their E3 presser rather than an interview at a Windows event.)

And it wasn't JUST the mention of upcoming hardware, it was that combined with their current line-up and how all of their big moves will likely take years to produce results, rather than making deals for short-term benefits.

Really? Because they doubled down on the whole "this is the most powerful console out there and please look at all these games that have X enhancements oh yeah baby" this conference.

That doesn't sound like "long in the tooth." If anything, that's more "Yeah, this is our main console. Not the other one that totally was our main console."

Treating it like it is long in the tooth doesn't mean they're going to stop harping on marketing points (at least until those new preorders are up.) However, it does make saying "most powerful console ever" feels insincere when it is alongside "We're working on the next xbox" IMO. Especially when their line-up appears to be made up of mostly red meat for the people who already own Xboxes, so people who haven't already bitten the hook when the bait is Forza/Gears/Halo won't have much of a problem waiting a couple years.

Undead Scottsman on

Please?

OH THANK GOD

Playing racing games with other people is somehow worse than playing just about any other kind of game with other people.

Panic rescinded.

I take it you've been playing against me and my patented "Try and use other people to brace myself through turns and usually fail" approach.

The Xbox One was a mid-generational update. It was never meant to be the next generation.

The Xbox One console has literally done an Iphone -> Iphone S and Plus iteration, though spaced differently.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Pretty excited for FH4.

I look forward to Skidzilla's drivatar becoming the bane of my existence again.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    The Xbox One was a mid-generational update. It was never meant to be the next generation.

I never said it was.

Going "And of course we're working on new hardware" 8 months after you put out your $500 box contributes to making me feel like they're gonna put the rest of this generation on cruise control.

Please?

OH THANK GOD

Panic rescinded.

I take it you've been playing against me and my patented "Try and use other people to brace myself through turns and usually fail" approach.

Maybe. :)

I just hate multiplayer in general and was not happy about losing another franchise to it. Fallout 76 and Anthem are on my shit list, at the moment, until I learn more.

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    And to be fair neither the One X and nor the PS4 Pro have really been huge successes that would stave off the next actual generation for long.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293

I never said it was.

Going "And of course we're working on new hardware" 8 months after you put out your $500 box contributes to making me feel like they're gonna put the rest of this generation on cruise control.

How does it feel that way? I don't understand your logic here.

I never said it was.

It takes attention off the One X and makes it feel like it's not going to be a focus. I feel like it tells people on the fence that it's ok to just wait until next time, and people who did invest that they should have just waited. And like I said, it's part of a bigger picture. If MS had a huge first party line-up or if they had made some moves that sounded like they'd pay off in the next year or so, then I would have just brushed the hardware comment off; but it piece of a larger puzzle that reads to me like MS is basically going to just keep going with this lower-key profile until they can come out swinging next generation.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Wait, are hovercraft NOT going to be a player option in Forza Horizon 4? That would be so disappointing.

And the Drivatar talk reminds me: Weren't the new Avatars supposed to be out by now? I thought we'd get an announcement or something. Maybe on Inside Xbox?

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    And the Drivatar talk reminds me: Weren't the new Avatars supposed to be out by now? I thought we'd get an announcement or something. Maybe on Inside Xbox?

Good point. With everything in the conference, I completely forgot about Avatars (also Minecraft Super HD pack).

I never said it was.

It takes attention off the One X and makes it feel like it's not going to be a focus. I feel like it tells people on the fence that it's ok to just wait until next time, and people who did invest that they should have just waited. And like I said, it's part of a bigger picture. If MS had a huge first party line-up or if they had made some moves that sounded like they'd pay off in the next year or so, then I would have just brushed the hardware comment off; but it piece of a larger puzzle that reads to me like MS is basically going to just keep going with this lower-key profile until they can come out swinging next generation.

Buying the Xbox One X console is a secondary focus to buying into the Xbox Live economy. If a person is on the fence about buying the console... it's okay. Buying into the ecosystem is still possible. When the thing came out they quite literally said if you don't have a 4K tv you won't really benefit much from buying one. Haven't been able to pin down an exact number but 15 - 35% of households are stated to have a 4K / UHD TV in the US presently, with a projected penetration of up to 50% through 2018.

What constitutes a "huge first party line-up" is subjective, and I'm not going to argue it. They've bolstered their relationships with studios they've been working with for a long time, got a new one and started another entirely different one. Hardly seems like cruising?

The expectation is that they would continue to develop improved hardware for each generation, and mentioning that they are doesn't seem to be an issue? IDK.

Yeah, I wonder what the hold-up there is. They announced those new Avatars like, what, a year ago? And seemingly were supposed to come out in April. Maybe we'll hear more about Inside Xbox?

• SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

Please?

OH THANK GOD

Panic rescinded.

They also announced that when you’re playing with live players in the open world, you won’t have collision with them unless they’re on your friends list.

No trolling possible, and, if anything, it will be better for doing drift zones and other pr events that that can get hosed by random drivatars

Inside Xbox kicks off in about 5 minutes. Let's see what all the fuss is about.

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I know it's unlikely but some Halo gameplay would be nice