As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Nightmare fuel

• Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I get a lot of status emails that I don't filter because I actually need to see them, but I don't always have to click them and read the contents of the email, so a lot of those go unread in my inbox. A lot of it is stuff like that.

I rule and filter a lot of stuff, but some of it is very tricksy and difficult to specifically target because it's either very very close to something legitimately important, or is always totally inconsistent.

Or, for example - I get a lot of project status updates from project managers that are about someone else's project and which are not generated by a template. But I also get a lot of project updates from the same project managers for my projects that I need to see. What do??

Cog on
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I get a lot of status emails that I don't filter because I actually need to see them, but I don't always have to click them and read the contents of the email, so a lot of those go unread in my inbox. A lot of it is stuff like that.

I have all automatic "mark as read" controls turned off and flag them manually via keyboard shortcuts. I've been doing it that way for over 10 years.

I think it all started with my trolling of my boss for putting read receipts on everything and freaking out if she got one but didn't see a response RIGHT NAO, so I'd just sit on them and then suddenly mark them all as read at the end of the month. So she'd see a whole bunch of read receipts all of a sudden for emails she had sent all month, yet I had clearly responded to all of them promptly.

And then it just sorta evolved from childish antics to just wanting a lot of control over whether or not I would revisit something or needed to respond to something.

EDIT: It should be noted that I have only 7 "unread" emails at this time.

Thawmus on
    Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    I must have 0 unread e-mails at all times and anyone who operates in any other way is a monster.

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »
    I must have 0 unread e-mails at all times and anyone who operates in any other way is a monster.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2014/08/18/mr.-popularity

• Options
    twmjr wrote: »

Search -> All Outlook Items -> isread:no -> Right-click -> Mark as read.

• Options
    I really hate that you can't just google a process name these days to find out what the hell it is without the first 4 pages of returns being from a hundred websites declaring empirically that it's the single worst computer virus ever to plague humanity and you need to immediately install their super legit program to remove it.

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Cog wrote: »
    I really hate that you can't just google a process name these days to find out what the hell it is without the first 4 pages of returns being from a hundred websites declaring empirically that it's the single worst computer virus ever to plague humanity and you need to immediately install their super legit program to remove it.

.... you mean it shoudln't be removed automatically?

no wonder my shit is broken.....

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I..i have 58,162 unread emails in my work account atm, do i win something? :o

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Hey look another reason for flash to go fuck itself.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Thawmus wrote: »
    User argues with me about how something works on Linux.

User immediately and clearly displays that they don't even understand which computers are running which OS, as they point to a Windows PC and continue their complaint, and continue to reproduce their "problem".

User's boss steps in and tries to talk them down off of the hill because they are clearly being an insane person.

User refuses to back down. On the verge of tears, will not accept visual evidence that they are wrong and are just confused.

Zoologists. Sounds right.

Imagine having to work with that person on a day-to-day basis.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I haven't actually installed flash on a pc in like

6 years.

So yay I guess?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

6 years.

So yay I guess?

It's still required for some of the admin consoles we use.

VMware 6.0, some Nimble SAN stuff, and a couple of other things.

I'm kinda mad at VMware about it, honestly.

6.5 replaces flash in the web GUI with HTML5, but kills the fat client.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    If they want a flash fat client then why didn't they use adobe air?

• Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular

Be careful when you move to Office 365 as one of the strongest signals you give hat something is clutter is not opening it.

• Options
    Thawmus wrote: »
    User argues with me about how something works on Linux.

User immediately and clearly displays that they don't even understand which computers are running which OS, as they point to a Windows PC and continue their complaint, and continue to reproduce their "problem".

User's boss steps in and tries to talk them down off of the hill because they are clearly being an insane person.

User refuses to back down. On the verge of tears, will not accept visual evidence that they are wrong and are just confused.

Zoologists. Sounds right.

Imagine having to work with that person on a day-to-day basis.

Sadly I don't have to. :(

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    LD50 wrote: »

They don't want a fat client at all. VMware 6.5 and forward uses HTML5 GUI for everything

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

Be careful when you move to Office 365 as one of the strongest signals you give hat something is clutter is not opening it.

I've literally never seen a piece of mail get moved into clutter. I'm not convinced it actually does anything.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options

6 years.

So yay I guess?

You don't have to install flash anymore, it's built into all the browsers. Nowadays it's click to run it though.

• Options

6 years.

So yay I guess?

You don't have to install flash anymore, it's built into all the browsers. Nowadays it's click to run it though.

Which isn't an issue for something designed to exploit word and activex stuff, I assume?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Feral wrote: »
    LD50 wrote: »

They don't want a fat client at all. VMware 6.5 and forward uses HTML5 GUI for everything

"True" full HTML5 support is actually still not even a thing in vSphere. It was touted as part of the 6.7 update, but there's a functionality update page that shows that even at current not every workflow is completely supported in the HTML5 interface.

It probably won't be 100% truly independent from flash until 7.0.

That said, 90% of what you would do day-to-day with basic management of the VMs was possible even under 6.0's HTML interface. It's the super advanced enterprise level automation and licensing management and shit that isn't totally rolled over yet.

TL;DR fuck flash anyway.

• Options
    Aioua wrote: »
    Apothe0sis wrote: »

I've literally never seen a piece of mail get moved into clutter. I'm not convinced it actually does anything.

It happens to some of our clients that have been on 365 for a long time, get a shitload of mail, and don't know how rules work.

It's basically 365 saying "Look, you've never read one of these emails, so we're gonna move it into this Totally-Not-The-Spam Folder from now on".

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there a good way to copy a million tiny files so that the transfer time more realistically reflects the total actual size of the transfer instead of being geometrically longer?

• Options
    nope

windows file transfer dialog has been broken since windows 95!

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Well then developers should stop trying to use the file system as their database.

Put all that shit in a single file, darn it.

Just because you named your folder "Database" and you put ".database" on the end of all of your entries to hide the fact that they are all just text files that you are looking up with "./Database/"&entryName&".database" doesn't make you a database engineer.

Xaviar on
  • Options
    Xaviar wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been asked before, but is there a good way to copy a million tiny files so that the transfer time more realistically reflects the total actual size of the transfer instead of being geometrically longer?

Can you zip them up?

• Options
    I mean probably. But since this is a one-time transaction that would probably just add time instead saving it.

• Options
    I mean probably. But since this is a one-time transaction that would probably just add time instead saving it.

Depends on how much you save with the compression, but yeah.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Well then developers should stop trying to use the file system as their database.

Put all that shit in a single file, darn it.

Just because you named your folder "Database" and you put ".database" on the end of all of your entries to hide the fact that they are all just text files that you are looking up with "./Database/"&entryName&".database" doesn't make you a database engineer.

I'd rather have developers create multiple files than try to figure out file pointer offsets into a file and then screwing up and corrupting the file so horribly that the only way to fix it is rerun a 18 hour 'initialization' job.

• Options

lol wat

• Options

lol wat

I feel so understood in this moment.

• Options
    edited June 2018

RichCopy is supposed to be pretty fast for network transfers. FastCopy for local disk to disk transfer.

RichCopy is multithreaded to do multiple files concurrently which is supposed to help with a jillion small transfers.

This is slightly dated but not bad.

As always YMMV.

Cog on
  • Options

rsync might work, maybe?

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular

rsync might work, maybe?

rsync won't help - you're still singlethreaded (rsync can actually be slower, just less total data).

If you can get away with it, clone the drive, partition or filesystem. What you want to do is one continuous disk read rather then a lot of little metadata lookups.

• Options
    Rsync can do block level transfers so it should be agnostic to the size of the files.

But I wouldn't swear to it without trying it.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Robocopy has a multi thread flag /mt I've found to significantly speed up many small file transfers

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Rsync can do block level transfers so it should be agnostic to the size of the files.

But I wouldn't swear to it without trying it.

Right but that only applies if he's synchronizing two reasonably similar directories with reasonably similar files - which it doesn't sound like is the case. In a "I'm copying stuff" scenario rsync mostly just has more sane cmdline parameters - with lots of little files the benefits of the delta copy algorithm are also near non-existent (unless you turn it off and say "modtime/size matching is good enough" for a resume - and only helps if you do resume.

• Options
    These are all great resources and a productive discussion that I am following with interest., so I don't really want to end it.

I did not mention that it was a mac.

Also that service is done now.

But for real I bookmarked several of those tools. Thanks guys.

• Options
    For a Mac I would suggest a bucket of water.

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I might be our new Mac administrator.

Throw me in a bucket of water too please.

Currently running in to a weird problem and I might just need to batch this process.
    I'm running an SCCM Task sequence to:

0. Disable Bitlocker
    1. Remove hiberfil (Powercfg /h off)
    2. convert to gpt (mbr2gpt /disk:0 /convert /allowfullos)
    3. Flash new UEFI settings, this was simple because I created a universal template using Dell Command | Control. - just running a package mid TS.
    4. Reboot.

For some reason the hiberfil removal isn't kicking off. All of this works manually but trying to get SCCM to do it has me wanting to scream.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
This discussion has been closed.