As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    That is a pretty great interview!

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    But...what about the info we all really wanted to hear about?

"What happened next to Busty McTubetop????"

Mid-game boss/romance option.

That's going to make my Busty McTubetop's red headed twin sister playthrough kinda....awkward.

And by "awkward" you mean "sexy." :winky: Busty-Chesty OTP.

• Katsuhiro 1139Katsuhiro 1139 Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    That trailer was the highlight of E3 for me. Holy fuck. Is it getting an Xbox One release?

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    That trailer was the highlight of E3 for me. Holy fuck. Is it getting an Xbox One release?

Well the trailer was shown at the Xbox conference soooo... :)

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I'll check back in in three years when we might have a release date. If they want to keep making cyberpunk short films, which is basically what these are, that's fine too.

What is this I don't even.
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I'm already getting ready to hit the gym to make sure I live long enough to play Cypunk 2077 in good mental and physical health.

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

I think this is pretty comfortably in the realm of multiplatform release (Plus, CD Projekt Red probably doesn't want to be that choosy). The Witcher 3 wasn't a PC exclusive either (it's actually gotten really great Xbox One X support).

Of course, as noted by Darkwolfe, we could all be waiting for a release on the next consoles.

EDIT: Oh, and you know, it was the Xbox conference. That's kind of a giveaway. Not that it won't be coming to Playstation too.

Synthesis on
  • QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    jammu wrote: »
    I'm happy that they're heavily consulting with the RPG:s creator Mike Pondsmith. Dude is a real visionary.
    Here is his interview where he explores the concept of Cyberpunk and how it connects with modern world and other works in genre:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/12/cyberpunk-2077-mike-pondsmith-interview/

Has he apologized enough about v3 that we like him again. ;)

Also, I keep going back to the guy's jacket in the trailer. I assume it has to be an homage to Shadowrun, because it's clearly marked as Street Samurai. 'Samurai' is on the collar, and there's an orc on the back. But the Street Samurai have never really been in Cyberpunk... unless that's the name of a Nomad gang, which would be very odd.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I think the katana swinging street operative/tough guy/killer type is/was alive outside of Shadowrun though.

This is the kind of game I want to see for Shadowrun too.

Bigity on
    Bigity wrote: »
    I think the katana swinging street operative/tough guy/killer type is/was alive outside of Shadowrun though.

Have you ever though that maybe that's CDPR's end goal? They worked on The Witcher, now working on Cyberpunk basically in the same universe. Then another conjunction happens and the two worlds merge... and you have Shadowrun...

Tadah!

wbee62u815wj.png
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Uh, no disrespect to Shadow run fans, but let's just get a normal good AAA Cyberpunk game out the door first.

Indie games try their best, but its not the same.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I hope there is a Ciri easter egg hidden in the game. Doesn't need to be anything super obious, like Ciri walking around town, but a random police/news report about a woman appearing out of nowhere swinging a sword around would be neat.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »
    I hope there is a Ciri easter egg hidden in the game. Doesn't need to be anything super obious, like Ciri walking around town, but a random police/news report about a woman appearing out of nowhere swinging a sword around would be neat.

I dunno, I'd kinda be down if they gave no fucks about subtlety and it's just Ciri sitting in a bar with like, a shitty band t-shirt on over the chainmail and swords resting to the side.

• GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I like that the syd mead inspired designs are being used as an indication of high class status. The future is there, but it's not evenly distributed.

The daytime cyberpunk is okay. It reminded me of the daytime city scenes in Mute, actually. I just want that night action as well.

Good nods to Akira, with the city view when coming out from under the overpass. I like the density (in spaces and population) they're showing off, and I really hope that translates to the actual game. Watch Dogs 2 did as much in their trailers, but the world still felt incredibly sparse in action.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
    edited June 2018
    GSM wrote: »
    I like that the syd mead inspired designs are being used as an indication of high class status. The future is there, but it's not evenly distributed.

The daytime cyberpunk is okay. It reminded me of the daytime city scenes in Mute, actually. I just want that night action as well.

Good nods to Akira, with the city view when coming out from under the overpass. I like the density (in spaces and population) they're showing off, and I really hope that translates to the actual game. Watch Dogs 2 did as much in their trailers, but the world still felt incredibly sparse in action.

This is the team that did Witcher 3, the world feeling sparse is not really a concern of mine. You couldn't move in that game without tripping over a well written sidequest.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »

Have you ever though that maybe that's CDPR's end goal? They worked on The Witcher, now working on Cyberpunk basically in the same universe. Then another conjunction happens and the two worlds merge... and you have Shadowrun...

Tadah!

That's....actually fucking brilliant. Holy shit I want this.

wWuzwvJ.png
    I just really want crowded city streets. A common theme of cyberpunk is overpopulation (as loaded as that idea is, I think it could be explored in interesting ways relating to more plausible real-world concerns) and hyper-dense urban decay just looks cool anyway.

I don't know if this is a complaint or not, but when I watched the trailer I kept thinking about how it all looked like stuff from Art Station or Polycount.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    I'm woefully ignorant of this game's source material. I'm a fan of cyberpunk as a genre, but never encountered the pen-and-paper game here in rural NH. Shadowrun and the White Wolf games were considered exotic in my neck of the woods when I was at the proper age.

Are there any free resources I could look at? Or should I just wait for 2077 to come out for a blind play?

Nightslyr wrote: »
    I'm woefully ignorant of this game's source material. I'm a fan of cyberpunk as a genre, but never encountered the pen-and-paper game here in rural NH. Shadowrun and the White Wolf games were considered exotic in my neck of the woods when I was at the proper age.

Are there any free resources I could look at? Or should I just wait for 2077 to come out for a blind play?

There is the Cyberpunk 2020 wiki. Keep in mind though they're using the original as a leaping off point, but it should fill you in with the particulars.

As to the city feeling suitably populated, as I recall this was one of their earliest design goals and they basically had to develop new tech to ensure the city felt like a proper city.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    [Wrong thread]

Donnicton on
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Tadah!

I mean, it would be Worst Timeline Polish ShadowRun... but I'd still play the shit out of that.

wbee62u815wj.png
    Nightslyr wrote: »

DrivethruRPG.com has the 2020 sourcebooks available via download as PDFs. Also, both the main book and Chromebook compilation are half off right now, $15 and $12.50 respectfully.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

Tadah!

I mean, it would be Worst Timeline Polish ShadowRun... but I'd still play the shit out of that.

It'd be my favorite kind of universe: An absolute fucking crapsack of awful where everything is terrible.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    I'm happy that they're heavily consulting with the RPG:s creator Mike Pondsmith. Dude is a real visionary.
    Here is his interview where he explores the concept of Cyberpunk and how it connects with modern world and other works in genre:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/07/12/cyberpunk-2077-mike-pondsmith-interview/

Also, I keep going back to the guy's jacket in the trailer. I assume it has to be an homage to Shadowrun, because it's clearly marked as Street Samurai. 'Samurai' is on the collar, and there's an orc on the back. But the Street Samurai have never really been in Cyberpunk... unless that's the name of a Nomad gang, which would be very odd.

William Gibson’s sprawl stuff used “samurai” as a term for a cybered-out street tough at least once.

5gsowHm.png
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Syngyne wrote: »

William Gibson’s sprawl stuff used “samurai” as a term for a cybered-out street tough at least once.

Snow Crash doesn't say samurai but it has people literally dueling with katanas.

Re-watched the trailer, just to look at the advertising.

The abundance of punk visuals on giant billboards is... actually kinda weird? I mean, it looks cool, but advertising is usually aspirational, so is this a world where people aspire to be... punks? The advertising in Blade Runner (and even Akira) was more plausible, since it was pretty ordinary stuff, with a touch of exoticism/fear coming from the use of Eastern visuals in the advertising, suggesting the rise of China and Japan in global trade. Not sure what to think about it.

• AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »

Snow Crash doesn't say samurai but it has people literally dueling with katanas.

Now I'm hoping there will be a background option in char creation of Pizza Delivery Man in Cyberpunk 2077.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

Now I'm hoping there will be a background option in char creation of Pizza Delivery Man in Cyberpunk 2077.

New Game+, overpowered character option.

• Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    /sits here continuing to grumble about Molly Millions & razorgirls in general while y'all get all up on your Hiro Protagonist*

* don't get me wrong, I like Hiro, but I'm also the feminist SJW who is here to ruin everything by having ~ew girls~ and putting ~ew girls~ into everything I write

And for serious for real on that note -- the BIGGEST reason that I was and am kinda "eh" about the Witcher as a series is that it was very dude-focused and dude-forward, and as a whole I'm just kinda tired of dude protagonists, especially Squarejaw Lilywhite McManpain the Third types. YES I KNOW THE WITCHER IS MORE THAN THAT AS A GAME AND HAS A LOT OF AWESOME STUFF GOING ON DON'T "WELL ACTUALLY" AT ME. It's just that my first impression of the game was not good because I looked at it, saw "sad grizzled white dude who is sad" and went "y a w n." I had the same problem with Skyrim with how all the marketing featured a male Nord Dragonborn, so I (who had never played an Elder Scrolls game) assumed that was what you played as and that was the tone of the game. Thankfully, I later ended up playing ESO and realizing that hey wait a sec, that's not what this game series is at all, which I suspect is the case with the Witcher, just, still with Grizzled Sad White Guy Protagonist.

The point here is that I'm really glad we'll be able to make a custom protagonist, because that takes away my single biggest problem with the Witcher -- that I was locked into playing Grizzled Grumpy White Guy.

On top of that, I hope female characters/NPCs get more focus, and that we get a wide variety -- going beyond Generic Badass Strong Female Character (TM), Evil Cyberpunk Corporate Overlord Lady, and Shrinking Nice Girl Next Door Damsel who will Probably Die for The Lead's Character Development (these are not criticisms of the Witcher, but of problems I've had with AAA games in general) to give us more nuanced characters. From what I hear of this writing team, I think we will. I *hope* we will.

(seriously don't start yelling at me about the Witcher -- I get it, I'm wrong, it's a great game, just understand that some things are a matter of taste and I, personally, am tired of a certain type of protagonist) (and yes I'm still an Evil Feminist SJW Who Ruins Everything And Should Probably Die so you don't need to tell me that)

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »

That car did look like it was one set of orange front grill lights away from being a Deliveratormobile.

5gsowHm.png
  • BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    @Lucid_Seraph

I was actually just chatting with a friend about this and realised that I'd honestly repressed just how sexist the first Witcher was. Unlocking collectible pin-up art by sleeping with female characters? The fuck was that?

They got better over the course of the series, to the extent that I'm pretty happy almost treating Geralt as a side character in the third game compared to how important Ciri, (and to a much lesser extent) Yen and Triss are to the narrative. I'm also pretty confident that Cyberpunk will be fine in that regard.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Lucid_Seraph

I was actually just chatting with a friend about this and realised that I'd honestly repressed just how sexist the first Witcher was. Unlocking collectible pin-up art by sleeping with female characters? The fuck was that?

They got better over the course of the series, to the extent that I'm pretty happy almost treating Geralt as a side character in the third game compared to how important Ciri, (and to a much lesser extent) Yen and Triss are to the narrative. I'm also pretty confident that Cyberpunk will be fine in that regard.

Also, Lucid_Seraph, I don't think anyone here is going to be clamoring to flay you alive for being the SJW type and wanting character customization in games so you can play something besides the "cishet white dude" found in an overwhelming majority of games. Myself included, even though I myself am the target cishet white dude audience those games are aiming for! I'd imagine there are a lot of people here that feel the same way, in fact.

JtgVX0H.png
    Nothing wrong at all with wanting to make you're own character who isn't a square-jawed white dude. Hell, if you want to make a square-jawed white dude too then more power too ya.

Point is, giving players the choice is always a good thing.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Yeah, my two main complaints with W3 were that playing as Geralt made me feel weird and that the game had far more to do with a plot that drolled on rather than being a monster hunter who kills monsters in lore appropriate manners.

/sits here continuing to grumble about Molly Millions & razorgirls in general while y'all get all up on your Hiro Protagonist*

* don't get me wrong, I like Hiro, but I'm also the feminist SJW who is here to ruin everything by having ~ew girls~ and putting ~ew girls~ into everything I write

And for serious for real on that note -- the BIGGEST reason that I was and am kinda "eh" about the Witcher as a series is that it was very dude-focused and dude-forward, and as a whole I'm just kinda tired of dude protagonists, especially Squarejaw Lilywhite McManpain the Third types. YES I KNOW THE WITCHER IS MORE THAN THAT AS A GAME AND HAS A LOT OF AWESOME STUFF GOING ON DON'T "WELL ACTUALLY" AT ME. It's just that my first impression of the game was not good because I looked at it, saw "sad grizzled white dude who is sad" and went "y a w n." I had the same problem with Skyrim with how all the marketing featured a male Nord Dragonborn, so I (who had never played an Elder Scrolls game) assumed that was what you played as and that was the tone of the game. Thankfully, I later ended up playing ESO and realizing that hey wait a sec, that's not what this game series is at all, which I suspect is the case with the Witcher, just, still with Grizzled Sad White Guy Protagonist.

The point here is that I'm really glad we'll be able to make a custom protagonist, because that takes away my single biggest problem with the Witcher -- that I was locked into playing Grizzled Grumpy White Guy.

On top of that, I hope female characters/NPCs get more focus, and that we get a wide variety -- going beyond Generic Badass Strong Female Character (TM), Evil Cyberpunk Corporate Overlord Lady, and Shrinking Nice Girl Next Door Damsel who will Probably Die for The Lead's Character Development (these are not criticisms of the Witcher, but of problems I've had with AAA games in general) to give us more nuanced characters. From what I hear of this writing team, I think we will. I *hope* we will.

(seriously don't start yelling at me about the Witcher -- I get it, I'm wrong, it's a great game, just understand that some things are a matter of taste and I, personally, am tired of a certain type of protagonist) (and yes I'm still an Evil Feminist SJW Who Ruins Everything And Should Probably Die so you don't need to tell me that)

While I get the sentiment, Gerald is pretty hysterical especially in Witcher 3. He's the Joe Friday of Wizard land and he is so done with people's shitake.

Burnage wrote: »
    @Lucid_Seraph

It's good to know that my first impression wasn't entirely off base. A big reason I was super turned off the series is my brother was going on and on about how great the first game was, and I saw that and was like... er... n o.

I'm just used to having to defend myself this way :( Especially to said brother, who won't hear a single word of criticism towards the Witcher series, and uses my lack of interest in it as an excuse to not just ignore games that I recommend to him that he'd like (for instance, Shadowrun Hong Kong!), but to outright belittle the games that I enjoy. :\

(He's kind of an asshole, sometimes)

That said, hearing that Geralt is almost a side-character in the third game makes me think I should pick it up after all. Maybe when it's on sale on Steam or something.

ANYWAY enough of that. CYBERPUNK!!!!!!!!!! GET HYPE

I'd like to add that not liking the character of Geralt isn't really the fault of CDPR, but rather the author of the source material. Geralt was a character pretty set in his values when the games were being made, as was the culture of the realm he was in. Misogyny and rampant racism was kinda part of the setting. It's like Game of Thrones... you aren't supposed to like the setting, but the setting at the very least needs to be consistent through the stories.

Cyberpunk does allow a much more diverse setting for their next games, and I think we should expect that. I also think they've shown diversity pretty well in the trailers. More women were beating the shit out of men in that trailer than the other way around.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Hiro Protagonist is the first character I've read that was biracial and described how it feels being neither one race or another and I relate to that 100%. Reducing him to a sword and trenchcoat doesn't do him any service.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i loathed geralt because i have specced 31 points into the misandry talent tree, so being able to finally play a customisable character in a CDPR game is givin them GOOD FEELINS

obF2Wuw.png
    Hiro Protagonist is the first character I've read that was biracial and described how it feels being neither one race or another and I relate to that 100%. Reducing him to a sword and trenchcoat doesn't do him any service.

Yeah I ain't dissin him at all, I actually *love* Hiro and I think he's awesome. Half Korean (iirc?), half black, all badass. Annnnnd yet because genre, people somehow forget (or at least forget that he's half-black).

Dammit, Witcher 3 IS on sale for $20. But I won't be getting paychecks for... ... at least another 2 weeks, and have still more ridiculous $200+ medical bills & legal crap to get through. STAY ON SALE PLZ.