As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Painting Miniatures] What colour is the best colour to paint your miniatures?

• Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Green. Goes with the bolter much better.
    Which green exactly, btw?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    McGibs wrote: »
    Sorry for the totp repost but,
    Grey or Green?
    ueoa79juy1om.jpg8zk5oghc3eje.jpg

I actually think I like the green better.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    tehjester wrote: »
    Some buddies and I are starting to play Gaslands. I've got my Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars, so now it's time to start converting and painting. Where do you guys get your bits from? I've tried Hoard 'O Bits, but they don't have a lot of what I'm looking for? What have you guys got?

Yeah, I've been thinking about raiding first the toy store and then my bitz box and go nuts on some cars.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Purple
    I'm painting up the Star Wars: Legion Stormtroopers. Has anyone tried using a little gloss on their armor to really make it shine? Does that make it too fake looking? Do you use a gloss varnish after painting or do you mix something in while you paint? I think I'll try first on all the white armor and second on just the eye peices, top of the helmet, and shoulder pads. Never really used any sort of varnish before so I've got a lot of questions including recommendations on which brand to pick up.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    Purple
    McGibs wrote: »
    Sorry for the totp repost but,
    Grey or Green?
    ueoa79juy1om.jpg8zk5oghc3eje.jpg

Purple.

Duh. :razz:

Sic transit gloria mundi.
  • DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Purple
    So I am probably biting off more than I can chew for my next army:
    t8lnwc0.jpg?2
    and I am gutting bases where ghostly parts would touch the base, and am using a mixture of the chroma paint with water effects. So the models will be raising out of the base of spooky miasma:
    so this
    nWFkwPn.jpg?1
    plus a hexwraith
    zxaZX3K.jpg?1
    Yeah, he has a spectral mullet, what are you going to do about it?

for actual cloth, I am thinking a darkish red, and a copperish color for metal? Not sure yet.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    So the pewter Necron stuff is coming clean but the plastic that I couldn't remove without bending the model made it really difficult to get stuff out.

Also, asking for a friend. Say this friend got acetone kn the wood table and wrecked the varnish, can that be revarnished?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
    Remind your friend that using paint stripper on a painted surface is not advised unless you actually want to remove the paint. That said, it’s called paint stripper, not paint-preventer-ever-againer; your friend should be fine once their significant other and/or parents get done with them. Though it might be easier to strip back a whole section then revarnish it completely than to try and match whatever varnish you can get now to whatever was used on it before, depending on the age and construction of the table.
    Of course if it’s a laminated surface and the acetone got through the veneer and wrecked the glue, your friend is boned.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    A different, worse colour
    If you have the space, a $20 craigslist table is a lifesaver for hobbying. Not having to worry about consequences for spilling anything or leaving watermarks is great.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    If you have the space, a $20 craigslist table is a lifesaver for hobbying. Not having to worry about consequences for spilling anything or leaving watermarks is great.

If you don't have the space for a full table or a folding table that's sturdy enough to work on, a big work mat should be really high on your list of priorities. It's not as good as a cheap table or a beat up old desk that you can dump chemicals on with relative impunity, but it's certainly better than explaining to your parents/significant other why their favorite table now has spots of Cygnar Yellow where your brush rolled off the paper.

• DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    Purple
    I save cardboard from amazon deliveries and that goes on top of whatever surface when I do hobbyist stuff. I got super lucky and got both of my very nice hobby desks for $30 total on clearance from staples a few years ago. It makes you feel a lot better about drilling a base on top of cardboard for the pictures above and going straight through.

Also this is totally the secret behind being a cultured civilized suburban human being: tablecloths. You take that puppy off and it's nothing but cut and burn marks.

steam_sig.png
  • FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    So, the general consensus is pro-thinning your GW paints in the jars?

Because the Robot always seems to just thin on the pallette. I've been doing that, and it's working... ok.

BUT I'm wondering if y'all have advice/rationale one way or the other?

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Purple
    I thin on the pallette, mostly because if I end up over-thinning I am only out a little blob of paint instead of an entire pot.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Purple
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    So, the general consensus is pro-thinning your GW paints in the jars?

Because the Robot always seems to just thin on the pallette. I've been doing that, and it's working... ok.

BUT I'm wondering if y'all have advice/rationale one way or the other?

I'd say the general consensus is to not do that.

Being able to control the consistency of paint to meet your immediate needs will always win out.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    And the best option is to take them OUT of those stupid jars and put them in dropper bottles...

• KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Purple
    I save cardboard from amazon deliveries and that goes on top of whatever surface when I do hobbyist stuff. I got super lucky and got both of my very nice hobby desks for $30 total on clearance from staples a few years ago. It makes you feel a lot better about drilling a base on top of cardboard for the pictures above and going straight through.

Also this is totally the secret behind being a cultured civilized suburban human being: tablecloths. You take that puppy off and it's nothing but cut and burn marks.

I've got a ratty dollar store table cloth that I drape over our kitchen table when I'm airbrushing. It's nice and close to the sink for cleaning and right next to a patio door for ventilation. Get my spray box set up and I'm guaranteed not to get overspray on the table surface.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
    Purple
    I would love to transfer all my GW pots to droppers, but man.... it seems like a LOT of work.

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    What’s the best way to go about transferring the paint to a dropper bottle? I attempted to just pour it out but it ended up being a huge pain not to waste a time of paint.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The only GW paints I transfer are used for airbrushing so a little thinning isn’t that bad, but I transfer as much as will glop out into big dropper bottles with wide mouths, then put about 20 drops of airbrush thinner in the pot and shake it to flush out the last bits.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
    Purple
    Badablack wrote: »
    The only GW paints I transfer are used for airbrushing so a little thinning isn’t that bad, but I transfer as much as will glop out into big dropper bottles with wide mouths, then put about 20 drops of airbrush thinner in the pot and shake it to flush out the last bits.

Don't suppose you have a link to where you bought those droppers....?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    edited June 2018
    I plan on getting a small plastic table from walmart or something and doing stuff on that.

I decided to paint up the custom Rune Priest in Terminator armor that I made years ago. Primed it and then noticed a spot I wanted to put green stuff. Not a big deal, easy fix.

I am realizing I'm gonna need quite a few different colors for this. Necrons are easy. Space Wolves are gonna be a pain.

I am following advice from Duncan's videos so right now I'm pretty happy with the first layer of paint. I might have put slightly too much primer on a few spots but nothing too bad.

Is it better to buy those citadel paint packs or buy single bottles of paint? I've been buying the single bottles so far but I don't have much of a collection beyond oranges, dark blues, greys, and black.

Edit: I realized in the Grey Hunter painting video Duncan did, it uses 25 or 26 different paints. That is $125 to $130 in paint. I don't think I'll be able to finish these till I get a job.

Stragint on
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

• valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    Purple
    Mayday wrote: »
    And the best option is to take them OUT of those stupid jars and put them in dropper bottles...

Unless, like me, you overthin an entire collection of paints.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
    Khraul wrote: »

Don't suppose you have a link to where you bought those droppers....?

I think I just looked for some big bottles on eBay.

• MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    i went and stripped my old stormwolf and re-did it. i totally effed up my original paint job when i did it a couple years ago. the paint had went on so thick it looked like i base coated it in texture paint. anyways, its acceptable now.
    Mo0ikAk.jpg
    4Jfy0wJ.jpg

also stopped to snap some photography of my razorbacks. like the stormwolf, they are older models but i did a refurb a little while ago to clean them up.

4V2s33x.jpg
    mn2dHZM.jpg
    FWByTes.jpg

Matrias on
    3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
    @Dayspring i also paint my minis purple. i use a de-saturated purple. very de-saturated.

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Man, @Matrias, that Stormwolf and those tanks are just so totally barely acceptable now. :P

More seriously, I really love the gold-trim-on-grey thing you've got going there.

edited June 2018
    I literally yesterday decided that my monster mans need purple shells.

Oroboris calls for black with grey highlights.

Abaddon black has garbo coverage and purple is just better.

FroThulhu on
    edited June 2018
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Man, @Matrias, that Stormwolf and those tanks are just so totally barely acceptable now. :P

More seriously, I really love the gold-trim-on-grey thing you've got going there.
    thank you for the kind words!

i say 'acceptable' because the stormfang model has some annoying build issues from my orginal assembly - you can't tell they're there without looking hard but i know they're there.

Matrias on
    Talking of build issues, I really wish they’d re-do the Rhino in CAD and cut new moulds for it. Aside from potentially adding a bunch more accessories and bitz to the previously unused space on the current sprue (high pressure injection FTW) the current hand-cut sculpt has so many build issues it’s not funny, and they get worse with each successive pressing…

So I think I found a paint scheme for the Necron Night Scythe that I like.

Bz2vI0V.jpg

I want to do it yellow instead and I think I'm going to use an airbrush. Only issue is it looks like it blends from light to dark and I'm not sure how I'll do that.

That’s a pretty simple effect to get with an airbrush, and much more involved by brush. I’m not sure how it would look with yellow though, unless you started with an orange-yellow and went up to yellow with it.

I have the yellow paints under warm yellow in the citadel paints app. Will that work?

eex0ovxhgq08.jpeg
    Ravager is revving up…

Stragint wrote: »
    I have the yellow paints under warm yellow in the citadel paints app. Will that work?

It should, but yellow is going to take awhile. I hope you have an airbrush, because otherwise that’s a lot of thin layers over a big model.

Stragint wrote: »

It should, but yellow is going to take awhile. I hope you have an airbrush, because otherwise that’s a lot of thin layers over a big model.

I do, I just gotta get better at it. Gonna try to find some videos on blending colors.

Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Talking of build issues, I really wish they’d re-do the Rhino in CAD and cut new moulds for it. Aside from potentially adding a bunch more accessories and bitz to the previously unused space on the current sprue (high pressure injection FTW) the current hand-cut sculpt has so many build issues it’s not funny, and they get worse with each successive pressing…

you can see some of the ones on the ones i posted, where there's gaps between the panels.

i think GW would rather retire the old rhino all together then remake a CAD for it. they should seriously consider designing a new mid-tier transport that's dual primaris/mini marine (like a mini repulsor).

Holy geezer

I'm almost done with my first brood of hormagaunts

I am whatever sits between proud and disappointed.

Doing a building/painting party at my friend's place Friday night. Him, his wife, my brother, our friend, and me are gonna put together Infinity and 40K stuff and one person is gonna be painting stuff for D&D, I'll mostly be painting.

The clear acrylic rods for my Necrons I bought are gonna get here between today and next Tuesday. Got neon orange and dark blue.

Looking forward to it.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Matrias wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »

thank you for the kind words!

i say 'acceptable' because the stormfang model has some annoying build issues from my orginal assembly - you can't tell they're there without looking hard but i know they're there.

I had a question about your wolves
    Did you do the Great Company of the Harald Deathwolf why?
    My brother is doing What was Logan's company as his but is kind of annoyed by the lack of shoulders he can get [I will swear up and down I thought you could get them and the dancing wolf ones in metal long ago}

This discussion has been closed.