As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Death Stranding] The Reviews are Ambiguous and Confusing! (much like the game)

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    Potential leak potentially confirms all these guesses we're making:
    4pmoNk7.jpg

this was posted to a kik group allegedly by a Kojima productions employee. Grain of salt etc.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

This is going to make such an odd Lets Play to watch (yes, I've seen plenty of other Kojima works in the same manner, I am aware).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    del Toro will ride the weird train and make it even more disturbing.

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/12/11/kojima-explains-death-stranding-gameplay-and-lore

Kojima actually answered some questions - which disproves some of that leak above.

The "dead world" could be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally interesting.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/12/11/kojima-explains-death-stranding-gameplay-and-lore

Kojima actually answered some questions - which disproves some of that leak above.

The "dead world" could be reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally interesting.

Yeah that all sounds kinda fascinating. Good call people who guessed we were seeing two different realities. Gotta rewatch those trailers with this info. Can some people move between the two worlds while still living?

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I wonder if they axed the Silent Hills game because they were like "if we let these two make a horror game, it will be so scary that the world will poop itself and die from fear." It was a desperate attempt to protect us.

Now...

"and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do."

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2017
    This is the greatest thing I've ever seen:

https://youtu.be/0otXs1LGcp4

237.jpg

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    just saw this one too

25158475_675748479262204_8295590868752269055_n.jpg?oh=d0348e6663b8049339cfad1d25b568a8&oe=5ABFDB37

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited December 2017
    A messed up fever dream then, I dig it.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Also relevant for discussion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WZhscuCqpM

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Mail.gif

PM_mail.gif

(More relevant updates as I finish watching the trailer)

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • Options
    So ahem yes, anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54RVcDgWuw8

Lots of thoughts.

1. Oh thank god there's actually women in this universe, it's not some hackneyed "all the women died" crap
    2. people are already like weh weh walking simulator and I'm like dude, Kojima's entire Thing was stealth games.
    3. I feel that Mail Delivery!!!! is actually a logical extension of Stealth, and fits with the theme of "ropes tying to things / connection." it's just instead of JUST stealth, it's "stealth but you got stuff with ya that you gotta take care of."
    4. "CHECK IT OUT WE CAN ANIMATE GOOSEBUMPS AND *HAIRS*!!!" actually legit neat
    5. this isn't me saying "hurdurr it's Art u don't Understand it" this is me going "Actually I think this is a lot more logical than it seems if you pay attention to it"
    6. Still not sure about the plot but tbqh that's the thing, if the game is about the story (which it is in this case), I don't really think you want to spoil wtf is actually happening in your teasers
    7. why did you eat a giant water bear lady what did it do to you; more concerning tho, uh, eating that isn't going to kill it even if you chew, like, that's just gonna... maybe that's the point I guess

anyway I need sleep

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Man, this is going to make one fucking weird 'movie' to watch upon release, once someone has trimmed it down to like 11 hours on Youtube (I'd say less, but based on other Kojima games, I suspect there'll be more time in cutscenes alone than the running time of most Netflix series).

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Ok so best guess based on that trailer dialogue. These are my speculations but tagged anyway
    Whatever those... things... are breaking the world by phasing in and out of our, it's connected to time. Some parts of the world, or people who are attacked, rapidly age, and it seems like this effect is widespread across the world. In which case, the sheer terror caused by these "invaders" for lack of a better term, along with whole cities crumbling to dust the second one of phases through it, is the cause of the collapse. You could have small patches of the world that have been unscathed, some that have accelerated into to far future, others being totally out of phase with reality itself. Imagine every part of the world connected to a hundred thousand time travel machines, and they're all going on their own clock, its seemingly random, and there's some THING causing it. Yeah, that's horrifying.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    That baby at the very beginning looked ready to kick some ass.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I enjoyed all the world-specific jargon being thrown around in the trailer. I'll need someone else to transcribe it, but the terms are great, and I almost hope there might be some way that the ones not related to gameplay are somehow not really elaborated on beyond gestalt clues.

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    I still ain't know what the fuck any of this is but I'm 100% here for it except for maybe the toenail thing and also eating big ole crunchy tardigards for health or something.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    Juggernut wrote: »
    I still ain't know what the fuck any of this is but I'm 100% here for it except for maybe the toenail thing and also eating big ole crunchy tardigards for health or something.

So, I have auditory processing disorder (meaning: my ears physically work, but my brain has trouble getting meaning out of sounds) but I *think* the woman at the end of the trailer says something like...

"A [idk what she said here] a day keeps the Timefall [I think???] away."

If that's correct and it's not just my brain filling in gaps incorrectly (again)...

We know from interviews with Kojima (posted upthread) that Timefall is that weird rain which causes things to rapidly age.

So whatever the waterbears are, eating them maybe makes you resistant to the effects of Timefall. The fact that waterbears can survive basically fucking anything also probably has something to do with it.

*edit*

Blog post by Kojima:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/06/11/watch-the-new-death-stranding-trailer-from-e3-2018/

I have to say what I love is like... how mushy he is about his cast. I just... I dunno, I love seeing creative people get really hype about collaborative projects, especially since I think the games industry has this terrible habit of building up the myth of the lone game dev creator, and we forget that games are enormous team efforts. I wish Kojima would talk more about his technical crew (animators, riggers, SFX, audio, testers, etc) but even just this is great. And he seems so much more jazzed than he was when he was working for Konami.

Lucid_Seraph on
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Makes sense.

• Options
    Wow, that is a LOT more action-y than the last few trailers. Not sure how I feel about that :( I hope this doesn't end up being an actiony shooter, I really was hoping for SNEAKY WALKING SIMULATOR WITH MAIL.

That said, okay, the mask thing is FASCINATING. There's a webcomic called Kill Six Billion Demons in which Devils exist normally as unbound demons, which are gloopy slooshy protomatter. But if you put a mask on them, they become Bound, and the mask type determines how powerful they are. They can only gain a corporeal form if they're masked. I wonder where the mythology that KSBD is drawing from, and if Death Stranding is drawing from the same thing here... masks as a type of physical "name."

http://killsixbilliondemons.wikia.com/wiki/Devils if you're wondering, though that wiki is VERY badly written and often outdated.

comic: https://killsixbilliondemons.com/

• Options
    EVA meets Metal Gear meets Silent Hill is as good as description as any. I want to play it, like, this looks rad.

• Options
    edited September 2018
    Wow, that is a LOT more action-y than the last few trailers. Not sure how I feel about that :( I hope this doesn't end up being an actiony shooter, I really was hoping for SNEAKY WALKING SIMULATOR WITH MAIL.

That said, okay, the mask thing is FASCINATING. There's a webcomic called Kill Six Billion Demons in which Devils exist normally as unbound demons, which are gloopy slooshy protomatter. But if you put a mask on them, they become Bound, and the mask type determines how powerful they are. They can only gain a corporeal form if they're masked. I wonder where the mythology that KSBD is drawing from, and if Death Stranding is drawing from the same thing here... masks as a type of physical "name."

http://killsixbilliondemons.wikia.com/wiki/Devils if you're wondering, though that wiki is VERY badly written and often outdated.

I’m sure the game will word it differently, but it looks like he’s turning human souls into a monster, with the mask keeping them together.

Edit: Actually we can’t reallu say the mask is anything more than a cool feature. But it does have independent thought after the guy leaves, so it’s not a puppet as such.

I’m actually not sure how I feel about a big boss like that, I didn’t think this was a shooter or beat ‘em up. Can you combo on the souls of the dead affected by time rain?

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

I’m sure the game will word it differently, but it looks like he’s turning human souls into a monster, with the mask keeping them together.

Edit: Actually we can’t reallu say the mask is anything more than a cool feature. But it does have independent thought after the guy leaves, so it’s not a puppet as such.

I’m actually not sure how I feel about a big boss like that, I didn’t think this was a shooter or beat ‘em up. Can you combo on the souls of the dead affected by time rain?

Watch out for falling moons.

• Options
    One of the craziest things about that trailer to me is the person he's carrying on his back is clearly awake and alive, and I did not expect that at all.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Wow, I missed that they turned their head. This game looks so weird. I might have to buy a PS4 just for this.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
  • Options
    edited May 2019
    I really want to play this weirdo game. I don't even normally like "horror", but after MGSV, I'll take one by Kojima.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Playstation Twitch page is live with hand prints and what I assume is the trailer running underneath it.

I see the weird baby, Mads staring at me, and Norman Reedus riding some sort of tron bike.

A leak on twitter says the release date will be Nov. 8.

Won't be long now...

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Very curious if November 8th is the date.
    I know this has been in the running for a long while, I was ready to believe it might not make it to the PS4 at all.

• Options
    ED!ED! Registered User regular
    If this comes out Nov. 8th, I'm perfectly fine (sort of) with Cyberpunk 2077 coming out next year.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Options
    This stream is freaking WILD if anyone else is watching.

Every 30 minutes they reveal a bit more. Now showing some combat, and you can sorta make out some dialogue and music.

The UI looks very very cool.

Speculation that the last of the hands will dissapear and the full trailer will be visible in 15 minutes.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Did I just hear "I can't spot PTs"??!!

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
  • Options
    New things:
    Man in the mask can teleport.
    Main melee weapon seems to be a shock rod of some sort.
    YEAH MOTORCYCLES YOU CRAZY KOJIMA.
    Shows different equipment like ladder usage and some tech devices.
    Dead birbs.
    Scary monstars.

• Options
    edited May 2019
    Where is the full god damned trailer. I don't want this piecemeal!

EDIT: ITS STARTING!

ED! on
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    E-EVIL BABY?!

• Options
    Amazing. It all makes sense now (none of it makes sense). And they even snuck in the "!" sound for failing a stealth check. My only worry is what happens if Kojima is left to his own devices.

Still. Incredible trailer and boy oh boy am I ready for this.

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython