As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sysadmin] Nightmare fuel

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I might be our new Mac administrator.

Throw me in a bucket of water too please.

Currently running in to a weird problem and I might just need to batch this process.
    I'm running an SCCM Task sequence to:

0. Disable Bitlocker
    1. Remove hiberfil (Cmd Powercfg /h off)
    2. convert to gpt (mbr2gpt /disk:0 /convert /allowfullos)
    3. Flash new UEFI settings, this was simple because I created a universal template using Dell Command | Control. - just running a package mid TS.
    4. Reboot.

For some reason the hiberfil removal isn't kicking off. All of this works manually but trying to get SCCM to do it has me wanting to scream.

Every person who has ever worked with SCCM just nodded in solidarity and went for the desk whiskey.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    CogCog What'd you expect? Registered User regular
    All the coffee at my monday client's office tastes like hot ground ass.

• Options
    Cog wrote: »
    All the coffee at my monday client's office tastes like hot ground ass.

I'm afraid to ask how you know what that tastes like.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    I have questions.

I rescind those questions.

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • Options
    The coffee tastes like what I imagine hot ground ass would taste like if you were to grind ass and steep it in hot water.

GAWD.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    *makes stock from hot dogs*

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    Oh hey, people are talking in the sysadmin thread. Let's go see what stupid things users are doing today.

AHHHHHH. RUN AWAY! MISTAKES WERE MADE.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    current status
    @echo off
    title MBR2GPT Conversion
    rem ## Disable Hiberfil
    Echo Removing Hiberfil
    start powercfg.exe /h off 
    TIMEOUT 10
    If exist c:\hiberfil.sys Echo Hiberfile removal failed. 
    rem ## MBR2GPT 
    Echo Converting MBR2GPT
    start mbr2gpt /disk:0 /convert /AllowFullOS
    TIMEOUT 180
    if errorlevel 0 goto :EOF else Echo Find a new job. 

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Hot ground ass

Is that

Hot ass from the ground

Or

Ass from the hot ground

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    y'all acting like you've never eaten ass or something

too good to be a millennial?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »

Let me tell you something.

Butt stuff is gross.
    You poop from there.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Xaviar wrote: »

Butt stuff is gross.
    You poop from there.

"Not right now you don't."

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    wash yer butts

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    3grvesnfm8gj.png

• Options
    chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    *phone rings*

Hi Chamberlain, it's Customer.

Hi Customer, what can I do for you?

Well, it's been a bad week. Crypto virus ate the server that your software runs on. And it got the backups, too. What should we do?

...Weep.

• Options
    RIP

• Options
    *phone rings*

Hi Chamberlain, it's Customer.

Hi Customer, what can I do for you?

Well, it's been a bad week. Crypto virus ate the server that your software runs on. And it got the backups, too. What should we do?

...Weep.

"Well I guess I can send you a quote."

• Options
    I finally got the conversion working... with that exact script for those of us keeping score.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    We have a number of locations with identical network configuration, just with minor variations (IP subnet, a few differences in printer model, etc).

I created a sample diagram based on one location and it says at the top
    Sample branch location diagram
    IP addresses based on Peoria, IL
    Expect variations between different locations

I have one senior technician who I've had to remind twice that it is a sample diagram. He keeps reading it literally.

Most recently, he gave somebody the Peoria IP addresses for a completely different location.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    I'm not sure why I have to tell people to install remote access software on a computer before it leaves here.

I think they secretly enjoy bumble-fucking around for several minutes while they desperately attempt to gain access in a support situation and look like idiots.

• Options
    Speaking of drivers..

It's 2018.

I shouldn't have to override windows's preference for this weird-ass alps driver that clearly isn't working by using the "Have Disk" button to point it at the elan driver.

It's a elan touchpad. Not an alps touchpad.

Also I haven't had to use the "Have Disk" button in probably 10 years.

Also, it's 2018. You should be able to figure out that this touchpad is a touchpad from a manufacturer who has been making touchpads since, well, people started making touchpads, Windows 10.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    God dammit, people. Don't set google DNS on your fucking domain controller! Even as the secondary option!

Also, you can't retire a DC by just powering it off and throwing it in the garbage.
    UQKrvcx.gif

Cog on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    God dammit, people. Don't set google DNS on your fucking domain controller! Even as the secondary option!

Also, you can't retire a DC by just powering it off and throwing it in the garbage.
    UQKrvcx.gif

Ah yes. The uninstall guide shows you should throw a mug of tea at it instead.

I understand now.

[edit]

More importantly, it's probably just a compression artifact, but the way the background freaks out around his head as the camera starts to pan back is.. upsetting.

Xaviar on
  • Options

UQKrvcx.gif

ur not my real dad

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Speaking of drivers..

It's 2018.

I shouldn't have to override windows's preference for this weird-ass alps driver that clearly isn't working by using the "Have Disk" button to point it at the elan driver.

Also, it's 2018. You should be able to figure out that this touchpad is a touchpad from a manufacturer who has been making touchpads since, well, people started making touchpads, Windows 10.

FYI you will probably run into issues after windows updates where the alps driver was mysteriously reinstalled and the elan driver is nowhere to be found. I've even blacklisted the hardware ids and it still does it for major updates. It's a huge pain in the ass.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Speaking of drivers..

It's 2018.

FYI you will probably run into issues after windows updates where the alps driver was mysteriously reinstalled and the elan driver is nowhere to be found. I've even blacklisted the hardware ids and it still does it for major updates. It's a huge pain in the ass.

Boo. There's a group policy about driver updates though yeah?

• Options
    What OEM are you working with?

• Options
    Speaking of drivers..

It's 2018.

Boo. There's a group policy about driver updates though yeah?

It seems to ignore it.

• Options
    What OEM are you working with?

Lenovo

• Options

UQKrvcx.gif

Desk whiskey time

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    We have a number of locations with identical network configuration, just with minor variations (IP subnet, a few differences in printer model, etc).

I have one senior technician who I've had to remind twice that it is a sample diagram. He keeps reading it literally.

Most recently, he gave somebody the Peoria IP addresses for a completely different location.

This is why I do x.x.10.22 on the diagram and put a list of subnets by site as a legend or elsewhere for the documentation.

That way there is nothing to copy paste and you have to READ the damn documents.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Sales people are the fucking worst.

• Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    Feral wrote: »

This is why I do x.x.10.22 on the diagram and put a list of subnets by site as a legend or elsewhere for the documentation.

That way there is nothing to copy paste and you have to READ the damn documents.

Yeah, in retrospect that's what I should have done.

I'm just constantly disappointed when IT people don't pay attention to details. I expect that shit from users, not from techs.

• Options
    Of course, that wouldn't have fixed the first misinterpretation he made, where he looked at the diagram, saw that it had 4 printers on it, and got confused when a specific location had a 5th printer. He came up to me in a huff, carrying a printout and a red pen,

"Your diagram is inaccurate! There isn't a color laser printer on here"

Yeah, because only 1 out of 5 sites have one.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Butt stuff is gross.
    You poop from there.

Can't decide how horrible it is that we both went to this.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Shadowfire wrote: »

Butt stuff is gross.
    You poop from there.

I understood that reference.

#captainamerica

• Options
    MyiagrosMyiagros Registered User regular
    Sitting at the office still, restoring a server that crashed after Dell got on it to inspect why drive #3 in a RAID5 would not rebuild on the hot spare. Here's to hoping that the system state restore works onto different hardware because I'm not touching that old software RAID with a 10 ft pole.

iRevert wrote: »
    Because if you're going to attempt to squeeze that big black monster into your slot you will need to be able to take at least 12 inches or else you're going to have a bad time...
    Steam: MyiagrosX27
  • Options
    Just restore from a backup.

• Options
    Just restore from a backup.

That's cute.

• Options
    FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular

UQKrvcx.gif

Do like our networking guy does. Just add more DNS servers. If the first one doesn't have the right entries your computer will just use a different one. What could go wrong?
    Everything. Everything goes wrong.

Huh...
This discussion has been closed.