As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Royale With Cheese

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited June 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Royale With Cheese

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Anon von ZilchAnon von Zilch Registered User regular
    And you were FABULOUS!

• KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    Yep and they even Battle Royale'd Fallout.. just when you thought you were safe.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Fallout 76 isn't a BR game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Yeah it feels more like an Ark, conan exiles style game.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah it feels more like an Ark, conan exiles style-lite like like game.

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Ah yes, I remember when cel shading was the hot new fad in games, to varying degrees of success. Thankfully developers have gotten better at using it, some of those early games look rough today.

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Coming Soon: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale: Battle Royale

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
  • SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »

Yeah it feels more like an Ark, conan exiles style game.

I just wish it was a Fallout game

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Comic title had me chuckling and the comic itself delivered as well.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    The BR game for Battle Royale games kind of already exists. It's called late-stage free market capitalism. :P

Which BR game(s) can grab the most player attention/time/money and then try to monopolise on that.

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what's been more prevalent this year at E3, battle royale games or crapsack post apocalyptic open world games.

• Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    I'm not sure what's been more prevalent this year at E3, battle royale games or crapsack post apocalyptic open world games.
    Yup. It really makes you think America has some kind of shared mass cultural death-wish, after 2016, there are that many with that particular setting/theme.
    Evangelical-types have always had that rapture-boner thing going on though (Cyanide and Happiness is even making a title mocking both this & BR games). :lol:

|Ko-Fi Me! ☕😎|NH844lc.png | PSN | chi-logo-only-favicon.png(C.H.I) Ltd. |🏳️⚧️♥️
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

It wasn't that long ago in a Steam thread we had to explain to some posters that BR games weren't like DayZ or Rust. Now we're doing the converse as Fallout 76 puts more of a spotlight on gaming trends some are having trouble keeping straight/up with. And with it is a dreadful sense of deja vu of times explaining to parents that not all video game consoles are "Nintendos" and the creeping realization that a number of us are now becoming our own parents.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ironheadironhead Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »

Which BR game(s) can grab the most player attention/time/money and then try to monopolise on that.

One BR game to rule them all.

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    BR isn't oversaturated until we get a Madden BR 2019 or FIFA BR.

steam_sig.png
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    Daimar wrote: »
    BR isn't oversaturated until we get a Madden BR 2019 or FIFA BR.

MaddenUnknown's Maddengrounds.

• PyrianPyrian Registered User regular
    A tournament circuit where you face off with various opponents until only one team is left isn't all that different from a battle royale in the first place.

• OctoberRavenOctoberRaven Plays fighting games for the story Skyeline Hotel Apartment 4ARegistered User regular
    Pyrian wrote: »
    A tournament circuit where you face off with various opponents until only one team is left isn't all that different from a battle royale in the first place.

It's extremely different. Unless we're talking a pro wrestling game or eight-player Smash, there's aspects that are lost in a tournament format and even in those exceptions you're limited to eight characters who are guaranteed to be back at full health at the end of the fight. It wouldn't be a battle royale so much as a tournament of mini-battle royales.

There's a reason that the book's prologue is a wrestling fan explaining the concept of a pro wrestling battle royale to a friend.

Currently Most Hype For: VTMB2, Tiny Tina's Wonderlands, Alan Wake 2 (Wake Harder)Currently Playin: Guilty Gear XX AC+R, Gat Out Of Hell
    After watching PA streaming Realm Royale, it's nice to see them actually bringing some real innovation to the gameplay (even if it just looks like Fortnite reskinned).

Now I want to see a BR game that is more "primitive". I want to see one where there's hardly any healing (beyond really just staunching your wounds and preventing dehydration/starvation), and you use very basic weapons like knives, spears and bows. Possibly crafted.

I have no idea if such a thing could actually work as a game, though. But it'd definitely be a different take than the existing BRs.

(And I've already written that I would love to see a Running Man type game - either true to the book, the movie or a hybrid of both.)

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    T-Danger wrote: »
    This year's E3 really feels like "'Member zombies? I 'member" and "Medieval Japan? We've got LOTS of Medieval Japan" on top of this (Battle Royale and Post-apoc survival games).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    dennis wrote: »
    After watching PA streaming Realm Royale, it's nice to see them actually bringing some real innovation to the gameplay (even if it just looks like Fortnite reskinned).

Now I want to see a BR game that is more "primitive". I want to see one where there's hardly any healing (beyond really just staunching your wounds and preventing dehydration/starvation), and you use very basic weapons like knives, spears and bows. Possibly crafted.

I have no idea if such a thing could actually work as a game, though. But it'd definitely be a different take than the existing BRs.

(And I've already written that I would love to see a Running Man type game - either true to the book, the movie or a hybrid of both.)

I'm the opposite. Lets go less primitive. Waaaay less primitive.
    A trillion AIs housed in ships the size of planets are dropped into the galactic core. Harnessing weapons powered by supermassive black holes, they must eliminate each other before the arena disappears due to the heat death of the universe.

steam_sig.png
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Battle Royale, except instead of it being 100 players till the last survives, it's the Death Gates. As you succeed, you can progress further through the gates, but dying resets you back to the start.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Battle Royale, except instead of it being 100 players till the last survives, it's the Death Gates. As you succeed, you can progress further through the gates, but dying resets you back to the start.

Battle Royale, except instead of 100 players in, 1 player out, it's 100 players in, 1 player dies. First death and the game is over and the other 99 share the victory. It'd be a huge timesaver.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Battle Royale: Spawning Grounds. One player enters, 100 players leave.

• Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    Battle Royal

100 commoners land on an island and try to marry their way into the monarchy

[Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    "It's going to be a battle royale battle royale." -- Brendan "PlayerUnknown" Greene

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/14/pubg-doesnt-need-to-beat-fortnite-interview/

• LttlefootLttlefoot Registered User regular
    Can someone make a Pong Battle Royale game where the field is a 20-sided polygon and each player's paddle can move along one side of the polygon and after some number of balls have gotten past you you're eliminated and then after some number of players are eliminated the field shrinks to a smaller polygon and so on until there is only one survivor?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Lttlefoot wrote: »
    Can someone make a Pong Battle Royale game where the field is a 20-sided polygon and each player's paddle can move along one side of the polygon and after some number of balls have gotten past you you're eliminated and then after some number of players are eliminated the field shrinks to a smaller polygon and so on until there is only one survivor?

That sounds pretty fun actually. Like that Petri dish game on itch.io a couple years ago.

steam_sig.png
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    That sounds amazing.

Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • H3KnucklesH3Knuckles But we decide which is right and which is an illusion.Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Coming Soon: Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale: Battle Royale

That... almost seems more fitting for their stable of characters than a Smash Bros clone. Plus, it's a 3D game type, as most of their source series are.

H3Knuckles on
    If you're curious about my icon; it's an update of the early Lego Castle theme's "Black Falcons" faction.
    camo_sig2-400.png