As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I am 99% confident this movie won't be any better than the last one.

Probably not but we can hope. Personally I would have never guessed after Rage that id could revive Doom the way they did. I was not expecting the plot of a first person shooter to be one of my favorites of that year. Pleasant surprises can happen.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    They need to make up for the last movie by actually having the fucking movie be about demonic invasion from hell, and not space Resident Evil.

• Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    Give the demons some motivation besides "rawr kill humans."

Make it so that they're fleeing Hell to get away from Doomguy, but he follows them to our plane of existence.
    What's Doomguy's motivation?
    Rawr kill demons

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    I mean, in 2016 we're technically stealing their energy.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I mean, in 2016 we're technically stealing their energy.

Hey now, we're keeping them well-stocked in blood, flesh, and souls.

I'd say it's a fair trade.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    I am 99% confident this movie won't be any better than the last one.

I remember thinking the original had to be decent due to The Rock being in it. At the time he was on a pretty good run of movies if I remember right, so I didn't think he'd take a stinker. I think dude was accepting any roles.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    Hopefully they take on board some of the criticism about monster spawning rooms too, but I have a feeling that is also tied into a technical problem, ie, if you have all monsters "in" a level from the start, and you have to track where they are in a way that's similar to the old doom, that puts a lot of strain on a modern engine. Games like skyrim also has to grapple with this challenge. But with bodies that evaporate that must free up some room.

NuDoom Engine is limited to 12 enemy models in-game at any time (it had to run on the XBox One, which only has 5GB of DDR3 RAM available for game usage, and it's shared between the CPU and the GPU). They fake certain sections to make it look like there is a mob of enemies (the biggest example being the group of zombies mulling around next to explosive barrels in a smoke filled room right after you get the BFG), but it's still likely going to be a limit as long as they continue to develop for consoles.

It's not super noticeable though, because most people are too busy unloading buckshot into a demon's face before tearing their arms off to look around and see how many bodies are lying around on the floor.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I'm all for the monster rooms.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I'm all for the monster rooms.

Classic Doom and Quake are filled with Monster Closets, but it's very rare that either game drops you into an "arena" and makes you kill everything before you can get out, and they're usually traps, as opposed to Doom 2016 where you have to "activate" them and can prepare yourself beforehand.

Doom 2016 had me getting an almost Tony Hawk's Pro Skater vibe with some of the arena sections, where I was finding perfect "lines" through the environment to nail demons while constantly moving at what felt like a hundred miles an hour. There were times when the player movement and level design seem to match each other perfectly.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The occasional arena is fun, but the repeating pattern of alternating traveling sections and arenas got a bit tiring in the latter half of the game, if I'm being honest. Not that I could point out any given particular section that I thought was unfun, but there was a growing feeling as things went on that the illusion of a world within the game was getting real meager, and I felt like I was getting stuck in a bit of a timeloop.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited April 2018
    The occasional arena is fun, but the repeating pattern of alternating traveling sections and arenas got a bit tiring in the latter half of the game, if I'm being honest. Not that I could point out any given particular section that I thought was unfun, but there was a growing feeling as things went on that the illusion of a world within the game was getting real meager, and I felt like I was getting stuck in a bit of a timeloop.

yeah i didnt find them bad, i found them fun! but your brain cant help recognise patterns, and so it becomes less thrilling, you start to "know whats coming", and so theres less surprise and excitement. I dont know if you approach that by just making more elaborate arenas, more complexity and variety, or you try to fundamentally change how the enemy placement works, which seems to have some engine limits but thats not exactly a reason not to change things or improve

Prohass on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I found the ending arenas really fun. The three leading up to the final boss really pushed you to get creative once your ammo started running low.

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    I started playing Quake 2 DM again a couple weeks ago. The server I join, tastyspleen dm (baseq2), is usually decently populated:

http://tastyspleen.net/quake/servers/list.cgi

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Well, I've found my newest mod

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC4F9tQWKOU

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    I watch that trailer every time it's posted.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I'm ALL THE WAY READY for more doom.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Half of the reason I'm excited for more Doom is more Doom soundtrack.

And you know, honestly, part of the reason is also that it might kick Fantasy Flight into gear on producing an expansion to their board game, because the Doom board game is legit.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm just glad we're not getting another decade-long wait between games! I was disappointed we didn't get an expansion or single-player DLC for DOOM, but if it's because they were working on Eternal, then it's all good!

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I hate the name Doom Eternal. It sounds like a mobile spinoff.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Sounds like a fan mod.

I was really hoping they'd go with Hell on Earth.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    You mean HELL ON EARTH.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    So I see a Pain Elemental

ix12znx79nko.png

x7jeufsrrnor.png

Arachnotrons

3ilesp6fcd4c.png

pd3ncf6elf5i.png

and the Arch Vile in that trailer

amuxr3sgryyl.png

qe8fnw0936vz.png

Imp redesign, looks like the oldschool ones:

mfswgxnwr4f9.png

Fuck yeeeah we gon get Doom 2 proper

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    Also, I'm fairly certain this is a Hell Knight and not a Baron from Hell.

1jndm3czj91v.png

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    In hindsight, it's kinda funny that the revenant somehow got fast tracked into being a main Doom baddie, like he had been there from the start.

• Options
    Hell Knights were technically in Doom 2016, but they looked like the ones from Doom 3.

I wonder if we'll be fighting more Cyberdemons and Spider Masterminds.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Hell Knights were technically in Doom 2016, but they looked like the ones from Doom 3.

I’ll be disappointed if we don’t get a Cyberdemon double feature.

• Options

Yeah I just mean that the Hell Knight has it's old look to it now, just like the Imps look a lot more like Doom 1 imps than Doom 2016 imps.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I liked the Doom 3 Hell Knight design so I’ll be sad if it’s gone.

Made for more visual distinction than ‘different coloured Baron without Fireballs’.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    I don't pretend to know the score here, but I kind of want it all know. Give me pinkies that actually are pink and look like the old school design

But also give me some completely new demons that could only exist in this brave new world of modern Doom

• Options
    edited June 2018
    I don't pretend to know the score here, but I kind of want it all know. Give me pinkies that actually are pink and look like the old school design

But also give me some completely new demons that could only exist in this brave new world of modern Doom

?

maxresdefault.jpg

EDIT: Original Pinky for comparison

Demon-Spectre-Doom-video-game.jpg

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Sadly, a lot of the newer demons introduced to the series in Doom3 and DOOM really didn't have the same staying power that the older baddies did. The Summoner is rad, but the Hellrazer is pretty weak. The bug enemies from Doom3 just really don't fit in - I feel like Doom demons are meat, muscle, and cybernetics and the delicate chitinous insectoid look just doesn't work. Even the Spiderminds are more giant chunks of organ-meat with cybernetic legs rather than anything truly arachnid-like.

It's tough, the original cast is so solid and long-established, there's not much place for a new-comer to really take hold.

There's one new-ish demon from Doom3 that I think might have what it takes - the Bruiser

latest?cb=20110913093050

I think they might be the right mix of demonic muscle, technology, and over-the-top ridiculousness to make it. In their original concept, they were going to disguise themselves as instrument panels in walls and burst out when you got close, but at the time the developers couldn't make it work. If the newer games could fully realize that behavior, it would be awesome. You walk up to a control panel for something and *BOOM* it displays some chattery teeth while a demon tears out of the wall and shoots at you.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The bruiser not actually doing the thing it was supposed to do wad probably the biggest disappointment of that expansion.

• Options

?

maxresdefault.jpg

EDIT: Original Pinky for comparison

Demon-Spectre-Doom-video-game.jpg

I don't know, man. The original descriptor of it being "Sorta like a shaved gorilla, except with horns, a big head, lots of teeth, and harder to kill," makes me see that pixelated mass in a different light. Modern Pinkie is certainly an improvement over the Doom 3 edition, but I never envisioned all that chitinous plating. I thought it was meant to have human hands. That sort of thing.

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Sadly, a lot of the newer demons introduced to the series in Doom3 and DOOM really didn't have the same staying power that the older baddies did. The Summoner is rad, but the Hellrazer is pretty weak. The bug enemies from Doom3 just really don't fit in - I feel like Doom demons are meat, muscle, and cybernetics and the delicate chitinous insectoid look just doesn't work. Even the Spiderminds are more giant chunks of organ-meat with cybernetic legs rather than anything truly arachnid-like.

It's tough, the original cast is so solid and long-established, there's not much place for a new-comer to really take hold.

There's one new-ish demon from Doom3 that I think might have what it takes - the Bruiser

latest?cb=20110913093050

I think they might be the right mix of demonic muscle, technology, and over-the-top ridiculousness to make it. In their original concept, they were going to disguise themselves as instrument panels in walls and burst out when you got close, but at the time the developers couldn't make it work. If the newer games could fully realize that behavior, it would be awesome. You walk up to a control panel for something and *BOOM* it displays some chattery teeth while a demon tears out of the wall and shoots at you.

A mimic chest for the 22nd century!

• Options
    By the look of things, I'm wondering if Eternal is an expansion on Doom 2016.

I don't even care if it uses the same engine. If the game gives me gory death playgrounds to bounce around in and cause volumetric blood rivers to form from my asskickery set on a backdrop of an isolated, strange world that I can have those few quiet moments to look out on, I'm all for it.

Give me that Metroid Prime glaze on top of the frenetic gore donut and all of my main points will be hit.

• Options
    I feel that for all its heavy metal bravado and edgelordian goodness the exploration portions of the game really put it all together.

Like yeah, I'm killing demons in the Argent Facility, but once they're all dead it's just me and the landscape and the levels and this game just absolutely fucking killed it in level design. The hellscapes were pretty cool but probably the least interesting level designs in the game, but it's shit like the Argent Energy Tower that is this gigantic, twirling, whirring, spinning, cylinder that reeks detail.

I can't wait to see what they're able to do in D:E.

• Options
    XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Eternal really disappoints me too, I could live with it not just being DOOM 2, but how could they pass up DOOM: HELL ON EARTH if you need to have subtitle instead of number?

And I kind of agree about the pinkie demon too. A pink hulk-like mass of muscle with human hands and a bull/gorilla head would be pretty unsettling with modern graphics. I wasn't real impressed or awed by the armored pinkie in the new game. I get why it makes sense he looks like that, he's super tough and charges a lot. But demons from Hell don't have to make sense.

• Options
    Not sure if Eternal will be an expansion. For all of the technical excellence of the engine, bodies on screen was a weakness. That’s why it put you in arenas and spawned new enemies in as you killed them.

If they’re saying there’s going to be double the amount of demons, that says they’ve done some significant engine work.