As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cyberpunk 2077 - It Can't Get Darker Than Night City, Right?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Hiro Protagonist is the first character I've read that was biracial and described how it feels being neither one race or another and I relate to that 100%. Reducing him to a sword and trenchcoat doesn't do him any service.

Particularly since I have zero recollection of him wearing a trenchcoat throughout the entire book and the author makes it exceptionally clear that, while Hiro does have quick reflexes, he's good with a sword only through many years of training and effort (and wearing a head-to-toe bulletproof motorcycle outfit doesn't hurt). He also has a family background to justify having the sword, it isn't just some junk he picked up in a store because he thought it was rad.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Speaking of Snow Crash, Amazon is producing a series based on it.

Make of that what you will.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    To be honest, Hiro is kind of a deconstruction of the very stereotype that people assume him to be. Same with Takeshi Kovacs (though Takeshi certainly makes up for it by being kinda Clueless McManpain and a bit of a sexist idiot at times) (tho at least I think those are DELIBERATE flaws on the author's part, not the author's biases showing necessarily)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    To be honest, Hiro is kind of a deconstruction of the very stereotype that people assume him to be. Same with Takeshi Kovacs (though Takeshi certainly makes up for it by being kinda Clueless McManpain and a bit of a sexist idiot at times) (tho at least I think those are DELIBERATE flaws on the author's part, not the author's biases showing necessarily)

Y'know that is always a bitch of a balancing act.

People are flawed, there are plenty of assholes in the world and pretty much everyone has their biases and prejudices. So when writing a character and giving them flaws like that you really need to be careful. You don't want to come off like your endorsing it.

• jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    I'm really pumped for the Cyberpunk 2077 after listening Mike Pondsmith* explaining his vision:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxt7cwDk4E&has_verified=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQXim8oKt9c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxDCQpy_Ihs

*Creator of the Cyberpunk 2020.

Ww8FAMg.jpg
    The dude keeps a katana in his house in case of home intruders. A-fucking-plus in my book.

• MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    While I like the ability to create your own character, it's going to be REAL interesting seeing how they develop the narrative. One of the things that forcing you into the role of Geralt let them do in Witcher 2 and 3 was to create a lot of narrative depth and they really mined those relationships over time to create some of the better moments in the series. While I'm SURE that if anyone can pull off both customizable characters and narrative complexity, it's CD Projekt, I'm going to be curious to see how they do this.

edited June 2018
    Oh shit is Mike Pondsmith actually working on this game for real!? Like it's not JUST that they licensed the IP, they got the OG on it? THE Mike Pondsmith!???

Because if so my hype levels just increased by 500%

(I currently work in the tabletop games industry and just lfjasdljf MIKE PONDSMITH)

Lucid_Seraph on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Oh shit is Mike Pondsmith actually working on this game for real!? Like it's not JUST that they licensed the IP, they got the OG on it? THE Mike Pondsmith!???

Because if so my hype levels just increased by 500%

(I currently work in the tabletop games industry and just lfjasdljf MIKE PONDSMITH)

y from the very beginning in poland for long stretches 3 times a year

and his kid is doing the tabletop rpg for the wontcher

obF2Wuw.png
    edited June 2018
    Oh yeah for sure. He's using it as a bit of an excuse to bring Cyberpunk 2020 in to a more, uh, modern age and do some things he can't really do with the tabletop.

Axen on
  • RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Gyral wrote: »
    While I'm glad they're giving us a character creator, I know we are all going to basically recreate Hiro Protagonist so I wonder why they even bother giving us the creator.

I'll be making Molly Millions, thank you very much.

I'll be making John Wick.

Axen wrote: »
    Oh yeah for sure. He's using it as a bit of an excuse to bring Cyberpunk 2020 in to a more, uh, modern age and do some things he can't really do with the tabletop.

/vibrates into the aether 'Net from excitement

I'm trying to temper my hype here but FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Rchanen wrote: »
    While I'm glad they're giving us a character creator, I know we are all going to basically recreate Hiro Protagonist so I wonder why they even bother giving us the creator.

I gotta be Case, omae. Hack all the things.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    So I've heard this one is a bit of a dead horse in the Witcher fandom, but this particular effort is *really* well done editing-wise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OinRDzEbqXc

• RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Rchanen wrote: »

I gotta be Case, omae. Hack all the things.

If we can vary our protagonists age it would be fun to make Fastjack.

"7 decades old and I still have to deal with children. I wrote this program myself, Whelp."

Rchanen on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    Yea, Fastjack was the coolest. His Matrix avatar back in the day was basically the Flash, but monochrome blue and vibrating so hard his edges blurred, like he just couldn't stand still for anything.

I *almost* liked Horizon as the best mega to work for, but that hit on the JackPoint group as well as all that social engineering sent them down towards Aztechnology-fuck-you-buddy levels.
    Diversity in everything but thought... I'd almost take blood magic over that nonsense.

./end shadowrun talk

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Massena wrote: »
    While I like the ability to create your own character, it's going to be REAL interesting seeing how they develop the narrative. One of the things that forcing you into the role of Geralt let them do in Witcher 2 and 3 was to create a lot of narrative depth and they really mined those relationships over time to create some of the better moments in the series. While I'm SURE that if anyone can pull off both customizable characters and narrative complexity, it's CD Projekt, I'm going to be curious to see how they do this.

Thing about cyberpunk is that characters are not necessarily all that important.
    It's not about deep personal quests, or familial connections.
    It's about a society that does not care, about fight you can't win, just surviving, struggling to stay in place instead of advancing towards something.

Sure, it is important that the main character be involved with the story, but this does not need to come from personal history or stake in what is going on.
    Hopefully you are given a choice of some backgrounds that can inform your motivations, and options on how to react and think (in character) about the things you end up doing.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    GameSpot currently interviewing CDPR staff on Cyberpunk features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arY6lepNdzU

Confirmed already that yes you can be either male or female.

Donnicton on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    It's in first person. Make your peace with that asap.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Renzo wrote: »

Already made.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    It's a FPS RPG, male/female choice, and background selection effects the story.

CDPR if you can pull this off...

Renzo wrote: »

Man I was worried it'd be third-person!

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Ranged an melee weapons
    Three times of weapons
    Power weapons
    -similar to todays weapons with more impact
    Tech weapons
    -stuff that can go through walls and do other strange shit
    Smart weapons
    Auto-targeting weapons because they don't want to keep people out who don't like twitch game play of regular FPS

V is fully voiced, male and female

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    They learned a lot about darkness from witcher 3, are making sure it's believable and everything has purpose

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    There will be areas of derelict, depressing darkness, but also rich, very clean corporate districts

They ARE pushing verticality, many floors, and MEGABUILDINGS!, like cities in a whole huge block

Reminds me of city blocks from Dredd..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
    No level scaling

Two kinds of XP

Standard XP from core missions
    "Street Cred" from side missions

Street cred unlocks different vendors and fixers (quest givers)

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    They've said they're going to be working verticality more - buildings with multiple floors and explorable areas, including "mega-buildings" which can be small communities within themselves.

edited June 2018
    host just said he hopes to be able to play the game later today?!?

gameplay footage soon maybne? Oh fuck yes please!

Edit: cyberpunk2077 part of the event is over

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    this sounds

so fucking goddamn good

i am so excited

It sounds great, they've clearly been thinking about and working hard on this.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    host just said he hopes to be able to play the game later today?!?

gameplay footage soon maybne? Oh fuck yes please!

Edit: Event is over

I think it had been mentioned elsewhere that there was "closed door access" to the game, so I assume they're placing restrictions on footage, but hopefully no embargo on written descriptions.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    I'm just so happy to know that it's far enough along that gameplay exists in a state that they are allowing people(even if exclusively) to see/interact with.

Because prior to hearing that there was no real way just to tell how real this game was.

But this makes it real.

Next event is in 11PM CEST / 2PM PST – IGN Live, which is 1 hour 40 minutes from now, should be visible here:

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • pyromaniac221pyromaniac221 this just might be an interestin YTRegistered User regular
    They are saying all of the words I wanted them to say

psn tooaware, friend code SW-4760-0062-3248 it me
    I'm just so happy to know that it's far enough along that gameplay exists in a state that they are allowing people(even if exclusively) to see/interact with.

Because prior to hearing that there was no real way just to tell how real this game was.

But this makes it real.

I mean, the trailer was in-engine, but yeah.. That they're ready to show it to journalists means it's much further than just a tech demo

The CDPR guy also ALMOST spoilered the release date and said something along the lines of "and you have wait for... however long it will be, sorry, can't say"

They way he said it, it seemed like he was planning to say a relatively short amount of time, something along the line of months

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    They way he said it, it seemed like he was planning to say a relatively short amount of time, something along the line of months
    Don't do this, wally. That way lies madness.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
    This guy got to play it and is tweeting about it (thread)

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    if its in first person they NEED to let me lok down and see my feet

this is ESSENTIAL

obF2Wuw.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

But this makes it real.

I mean, the trailer was in-engine, but yeah.. That they're ready to show it to journalists means it's much further than just a tech demo

The CDPR guy also ALMOST spoilered the release date and said something along the lines of "and you have wait for... however long it will be, sorry, can't say"

Yea even if the trailer was in-engine though that can mean such a vast array of different things that it basically means nothing. So while I was super psyched to see it I still had roughly zero idea how far along it was. Saying that people are playing some version of it right now helps visualize how far along or moreseo how far behind it *isn't* at this point which is nice. That sentence was dumb but I think it still gets the message across of what I mean haha.

Don't do this, wally. That way lies madness.

What is mad may never https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbF0qP7tgeU

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg