As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Deadpool] Clawing his way back to relevancy

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited May 2018
    urahonky wrote: »
    Is it embarrassing that one of my favorite movies of all time is a comic book movie?

Not at all.

A good movie is a good movie is a good movie. If you like a movie, you like a movie, and anyone who says "nuh-uh you should hate that movie because I hate that movie" is a dick (and yes, I have probably been that dick at some point).

I personally have several dozen 'favorite' movies, and the internal ranking of these entirely depends on my mood at the time. Every one of them falls into the "oh I can watch this right now and I have a free afternoon? Hell yeah, fire it up". At least five of those in my favorites list are comic book movies.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Is it embarrassing that one of my favorite movies of all time is a comic book movie?

Not at all.

A good movie is a good movie is a good movie. If you like a movie, you like a movie, and anyone who says "nuh-uh you should hate that movie because I hate that movie" is a dick (and yes, I have probably been that dick at some point).

I personally have several dozen 'favorite' movies, and the internal ranking of these entirely depends on my mood at the time. Every one of them falls into the "oh I can watch this right now and I have a free afternoon? Hell yeah, fire it up". At least five of those in my favorites list are comic book movies.

Some of my favorite movies are some of the most campy or schlocky films you can think of. A favorite movie to me is a film you can put on and watch and have a good time no matter how many times you've seen it.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I laughed when
    Vanisher was revealed to be Brad Pitt for the couple frames he was being electrocuted by the power lines.

It just occurred to me how fitting this is...
    due to Fight Club including the 'just a few frames' bit. It works on so many levels.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I finally got to see this!

I felt the first act was a little rocky as the movie was trying to find its feet but once it got going Deadpool 2 was a god damned treat. I was laughing right from the start and all the throwbacks and nods to the comics were fantastic.
    When Black Tom Cassidy showed up I damn near lost my shit in the theater. I was not expecting those two to make an appearance but damn, the crew behind this movie knows their shit and is super willing to expertly weave in some top tier fan service. I also really loved how they snuck in DP's black X-Force suit in a super clever way.
    Now that DP is established as a thing in the comic book movies, they really pulled no punches with this one, lampooning everything and taking the absolute piss out of comics and comic book movies, sparing absolutely no one from the movie's snarky wrath. It's also neat seeing them play up an interesting blend of classic Pool and WayPool with how he's got a real personality and fucked up stuff going on but is also being played as kind of a memey, looney tunes cartoon character who bounces back from absurd shit in seconds depending on what fits the needs of the movie more.

My one complaint is
    Vanessa got fridged pretty damn hard and it's a shame because I keep hoping they do more with her character. I know that they did it so that she could take the role Death had in the comics (Deadpool and Death love each other and Deadpool wishes he could die so he could be with her but keeps getting denied), but at the least I wish the movie would have handled it a little more elegantly. She felt pretty one note here which is a shame cause she had some awesome screen presence in the first one but here...ehhhhhhhh?

I also keep hoping she finally goes full on Copycat but alas, no shapeshifting Vanessa yet. :(

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »

I felt the first act was a little rocky as the movie was trying to find its feet but once it got going Deadpool 2 was a god damned treat. I was laughing right from the start and all the throwbacks and nods to the comics were fantastic.
    When Black Tom Cassidy showed up I damn near lost my shit in the theater. I was not expecting those two to make an appearance but damn, the crew behind this movie knows their shit and is super willing to expertly weave in some top tier fan service. I also really loved how they snuck in DP's black X-Force suit in a super clever way.
    Now that DP is established as a thing in the comic book movies, they really pulled no punches with this one, lampooning everything and taking the absolute piss out of comics and comic book movies, sparing absolutely no one from the movie's snarky wrath. It's also neat seeing them play up an interesting blend of classic Pool and WayPool with how he's got a real personality and fucked up stuff going on but is also being played as kind of a memey, looney tunes cartoon character who bounces back from absurd shit in seconds depending on what fits the needs of the movie more.

My one complaint is
    Vanessa got fridged pretty damn hard and it's a shame because I keep hoping they do more with her character. I know that they did it so that she could take the role Death had in the comics (Deadpool and Death love each other and Deadpool wishes he could die so he could be with her but keeps getting denied), but at the least I wish the movie would have handled it a little more elegantly. She felt pretty one note here which is a shame cause she had some awesome screen presence in the first one but here...ehhhhhhhh?

I also keep hoping she finally goes full on Copycat but alas, no shapeshifting Vanessa yet. :(

Guessing you didnt stay for the credits

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    TOGSolid wrote: »

My one complaint is

Guessing you didnt stay for the credits
    I did but it doesn't really undo what happened in the movie. The credits bringing her back felt more like an "it's totally ok we did this, see!" cop out to me. I'm just a little bumbed that Vanessa isn't being put to her full potential yet and in this one was killed, even temporarily, just to give Wade development.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Every solo scene Cable is in was so badass man
    That
    gun repair
    scene was perfection

I could watch an entire movie about Cable if it's like that i suppose

Also i love that gun

Peas on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    Cable was a great action hero and had the most convincing reactions of anyone in the film
    Every time it looks like Russell is going to get away he looks super worried and almost panicky, taking hits he doesn't need to because he's so distracted. And he never misses getting confused at every single one of Deadpool's antics.

He was so much a cool guy I think it kind of took away from Deadpool's maximum effort scenes in this movie.

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    Hey
    With Vanessa getting killed and then the Bond Music/opening, was that a reference to the George Lazenby Bond movie?

• Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    I can not stand Deadpool in the comics, and have never really liked the whole 4th wall breaking, obsessed with weird sex jokes take on the character I see all over.

I thought the 1st movie was fine.

...I think after seeing it this weekend, Deadpool 2 may be one of my favorite movies?!

He works in film so, so, so much better than he works in other mediums like games and stuff. I think 4th wall breaking is stupid most of the time, but in the movie it's done with almost an "Office" like quality where it doesn't come off as obnoxious.

His "training" scene was hilarious and is basically exactly what I want from an X-Men movie.

...I can not believe how much I loved this.

PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »
    He works in film so, so, so much better than he works in other mediums like games and stuff. I think 4th wall breaking is stupid most of the time, but in the movie it's done with almost an "Office" like quality where it doesn't come off as obnoxious.
    I dunno, I thought his ranting over the pause screen in that spider-man game was brilliant.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Finally got around to seeing this last night. It was great!
    Hi Yukio!

I could have sworn I saw some promotional materials with Shatterstar actually fighting, so I was definitely confused when he got put through a helicopter rotor. Guess I should have realized I was watching "Deadpool 2" and not "X-Force." fake edit: oh, apparently they did put huge misdirects in the marketing? Devious.

I spotted an Alpha Flight logo on top of Dopinder's taxi when Deadpool was taking Domino and Cable to recruit Colossus. Wonder when we'll be getting that movie?

• Options
    EmperorSethEmperorSeth Registered User regular
    I thought of something the other day.
    The whole "X-Force all die on landing" was probably my favorite joke in the movie, but I have to wonder if it was just pure happenstance. Like, we know that Domino's luck power doesn't mind getting people killed to help her. Maybe she gave the rest of the team bad luck so they wouldn't make it to the mission and end up screwing it up somehow? Except for Pete, of course, who landed safely and was a victim of his own good intentions.

You know what? Nanowrimo's cancelled on account of the world is stupid.
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    I thought of something the other day.
    The whole "X-Force all die on landing" was probably my favorite joke in the movie, but I have to wonder if it was just pure happenstance. Like, we know that Domino's luck power doesn't mind getting people killed to help her. Maybe she gave the rest of the team bad luck so they wouldn't make it to the mission and end up screwing it up somehow? Except for Pete, of course, who landed safely and was a victim of his own good intentions.
    Nah. Dominos luckpower doesn't have that range/scope.
    I consider it Karma. If anyone in X-force history deserved to die gruesomely it's Zeitgeist and Shatterstar

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Fry wrote: »
    Hi Yukio!

I could have sworn I saw some promotional materials with Shatterstar actually fighting, so I was definitely confused when he got put through a helicopter rotor. Guess I should have realized I was watching "Deadpool 2" and not "X-Force." fake edit: oh, apparently they did put huge misdirects in the marketing? Devious.

I spotted an Alpha Flight logo on top of Dopinder's taxi when Deadpool was taking Domino and Cable to recruit Colossus. Wonder when we'll be getting that movie?

You aren't wrong, they definitely threw some red herring material out there and I love that they did it.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Wasn't Strong Guy in X-Force? Or maybe that was X-Factor, I never know.

Either way, if you're reading this, Reynolds, add Strong Guy please, thanks.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Hi Yukio!

You aren't wrong, they definitely threw some red herring material out there and I love that they did it.

Trailers do that shit all the time nowadays. They're all lies or spoilers, so really no reason to watch them past the first unless you like those things.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I honestly love the bullshit trailers. 'Grimdark Serious Biz Iron Man 3' beats the heck out of 'Here Is Every Plot Point In Sequence For Spiderman Homecoming'

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    I honestly love the bullshit trailers. 'Grimdark Serious Biz Iron Man 3' beats the heck out of 'Here Is Every Plot Point In Sequence For Spiderman Homecoming'

The great thing about the IM3 trailers weren't that they lied about the movie but did so in a way that put you in the right mood for the movie. Also they didn't even lie all that much but mostly just left out some stuff.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

Yea the problem is you don't know what you're gonna get so you have to risk spoilers or just avoid them altogether. I go with option 2.

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Wasn't Strong Guy in X-Force? Or maybe that was X-Factor, I never know.

Either way, if you're reading this, Reynolds, add Strong Guy please, thanks.

X-Factor I believe as they were a public team. The whole "Strong Guy" name was when they were at a press conference and they asked who he was and that's how he responded.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Its funny that you used Homecoming as an example considering it leaves a huge plot twist out.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    I was reminded this afternoon of one of my favorite quips from the movie: someone (Wade?) referring to Domino as "Black Black Widow"

• Options
    I was reminded this afternoon of one of my favorite quips from the movie: someone (Wade?) referring to Domino as "Black Black Widow"

That's such bullshit

She is clear the black Scarlet witch.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular

That's such bullshit

She is clear the black Scarlet witch.

Female Longshot

• Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    While I loved Cable in the movie, I am currently reading through New Mutants and am now in the 90s... oooh boy.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    darkmayo wrote: »
    While I loved Cable in the movie, I am currently reading through New Mutants and am now in the 90s... oooh boy.

For me...Cable didn't become a mainstay until Cable and Deadpool. Only Deadpool could make Future Gun Jesus interesting and...to be fair. They took Cable in some interesting directions like when he blew out his power just to break the Surfers board and such.

• Options
    Dizzy DDizzy D NetherlandsRegistered User regular

For me...Cable didn't become a mainstay until Cable and Deadpool. Only Deadpool could make Future Gun Jesus interesting and...to be fair. They took Cable in some interesting directions like when he blew out his power just to break the Surfers board and such.

Bit before that for me, the Robinson/Casey/Ladronn, Weinberg and Tischmann/Kordey all did interesting things with the character.

Steam/Origin: davydizzy
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Dizzy D wrote: »

Bit before that for me, the Robinson/Casey/Ladronn, Weinberg and Tischmann/Kordey all did interesting things with the character.

I look forward to that cause I am hitting the start of prime 90s garbage right now, Mutant Liberation Front, Stryfe, Cable being the best at everything.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So I finally saw it! Is anyone still talking about it?

Things I didn't like
    * Time travel being handled a bit too inconsistently. Sometimes it makes Cable teleport back, sometimes it makes... his conscience teleport into his past body or something? Also, if changing the past changes the future changes things from the future that are in the past (like the teddybear), then why is Cable still in the past at all?
    * Speaking of time travel, why does Cable have time travel? He seems to have the device with him and uses it right away when he finds his wife and daughter dead. So is time travel a common thing like cell phones in the future? If so, why are we not swamped with time travelers?
    * And after doing all this to save his wife and daughter, he decides to never see them again and in fact risk them being killed again (Firefist learned his lesson from Deadpool dieing to save him, so who knows if he'll be moved the same way by Deadpool not dieing to save him?) by using his last time-travel power to save Deadpool, a guy who could have been saved by getting the collar off of him but didn't because he wanted to die?
    * Deadpool was breaking the fourth wall a bit too much for my tastes.
    * It felt more like a traditional action/superhero movie, whereas the first one, thanks to the way it was structured (with Deadpool narrating his backstory to us and flashback scenes interrupting the present story) was more interesting and less conventional.

Things I liked
    * Absolutely everything else about that movie.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Ending
    Yeah everything from DP taking the bullet to them all walking off was stupid. The death scene was way too long even for a "we're drawing this out way too long" joke, the time travel fix was silly- if you want to save him just rip the damn collar off. Etc.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Ending
    Yeah everything from DP taking the bullet to them all walking off was stupid. The death scene was way too long even for a "we're drawing this out way too long" joke, the time travel fix was silly- if you want to save him just rip the damn collar off. Etc.
    It isn't like the collars are completely impossible to damage or remove, because an earlier part of the movie blatantly shows that they are.

Heck, even just cutting off his head entirely would probably work.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Deadpool had a dozen ways to survive, but he was on a suicide mission. Once the burned bear was restored, all he wanted was to die and be with his lost love.

But Cable messed that up, so he went with time travel instead.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Finally saw Deadpool 2. I wasn't digging it so much at first, but I ended up loving it.
    I had a feeling Juggernaut was going to be the big guy, and I was so happy that turned out to be the case!

Super hate that they killed Morena Baccarin, but I guess it fits the comics now and she's like Death.

Also, did they tease the possibility of at least one more Hugh Jackman Wolverine performance? Because it seems like they did, and that would be the best fucking thing! I need R-rated Wolverine in a Deadpool movie!

And Josh Brolin... my god, he's just superb in everything.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Finally saw Deadpool 2. I wasn't digging it so much at first, but I ended up loving it.
    I had a feeling Juggernaut was going to be the big guy, and I was so happy that turned out to be the case!

Super hate that they killed Morena Baccarin, but I guess it fits the comics now and she's like Death.

Also, did they tease the possibility of at least one more Hugh Jackman Wolverine performance? Because it seems like they did, and that would be the best fucking thing! I need R-rated Wolverine in a Deadpool movie!

Uh, did you not
    watch the after credit stuff? Cause, uh, do that now.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    chromdomchromdom Who? Where?Registered User regular
    That reminds me, I cruised by Deadpool 1 on FX last night. Right at the beginning, so I thought I'd watch the opening freeway fight, figuring it was edited for basic cable. Turns out it wasn't. Even language, fucks and shits aplenty. The shits I get, that's been ok for a few years now, even though this was on pretty early. The unedited gore (even though it isn't that gorey a movie, it's still present) I could give a pass to, but dropping f-bombs during the dinner hour really made me wonder what they can get away with on broadcast these days.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Uh, did you not
    watch the after credit stuff? Cause, uh, do that now.
    I was just coming back to correct myself. I was so hyped up on the maybe Wolverine tease, I forgot he saved her... :P

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    chromdom wrote: »
    That reminds me, I cruised by Deadpool 1 on FX last night. Right at the beginning, so I thought I'd watch the opening freeway fight, figuring it was edited for basic cable. Turns out it wasn't. Even language, fucks and shits aplenty. The shits I get, that's been ok for a few years now, even though this was on pretty early. The unedited gore (even though it isn't that gorey a movie, it's still present) I could give a pass to, but dropping f-bombs during the dinner hour really made me wonder what they can get away with on broadcast these days.

FX is cable, not broadcast, so the FCC rules don't apply to them and it's my understanding that they can do anything they want basically therefore as long as it doesn't scare away advertisers.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

FX is cable, not broadcast, so the FCC rules don't apply to them and it's my understanding that they can do anything they want basically therefore as long as it doesn't scare away advertisers.

Honestly, if FX wants to air some unedited PG-13 and R movies that would make me far, far more interested in tuning in to watch them.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

That's the theory that for a very long time basic cable channels did not want to even try testing but they've been pushing on those boundaries for years now at this point.