As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Division 2] Launching in March! Beta has started.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Give me the ability to wear a huge wooly scarf, trapper hat, puffy jacket and snow boots in the hight of summer you cowards!

In DC? In Summer? Ick.

Gonna be tourists everywhere.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I just wish Division 1 has progressed to its current state a lot faster.

With these types of games they really have to pull off a successful product right from the start or they will irreversibly hemorrhage players and never recover. Even if they make really good improvements to the game, like they did with Div 1.

So yeah. I'm hoping that Div 2 can be successful enough to keep people's attention. Because the core gameplay of division is excellent.

Yeah it was rough in the beginning. But then one of the devs pretty much flat out admitted the reason the DZ was the only place to progress in the end game is they, as in the dev that was talking, wanted to be able to gank people.

So... yeah.

Thankfully they realized how asinine that was and fixed it.

My biggest fear is they don't realize that things like underground, dailies and weeklies, and raid instances need to be in on day 1.

There needs to be stuff to do and there needs to be a lot of it or people are gonna move on just as quickly again. This is my biggest fear for Anthem as well.

I'm hoping folks have been looking at Destiny 2 shoot itself in the foot and are taking notes.

Just buy off some streamers to lie for you and all is well...

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Preacher wrote: »
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I just wish Division 1 has progressed to its current state a lot faster.

With these types of games they really have to pull off a successful product right from the start or they will irreversibly hemorrhage players and never recover. Even if they make really good improvements to the game, like they did with Div 1.

So yeah. I'm hoping that Div 2 can be successful enough to keep people's attention. Because the core gameplay of division is excellent.

Yeah it was rough in the beginning. But then one of the devs pretty much flat out admitted the reason the DZ was the only place to progress in the end game is they, as in the dev that was talking, wanted to be able to gank people.

So... yeah.

Thankfully they realized how asinine that was and fixed it.

My biggest fear is they don't realize that things like underground, dailies and weeklies, and raid instances need to be in on day 1.

There needs to be stuff to do and there needs to be a lot of it or people are gonna move on just as quickly again. This is my biggest fear for Anthem as well.

I'm hoping folks have been looking at Destiny 2 shoot itself in the foot and are taking notes.

Just buy off some streamers to lie for you and all is well...

One of the reasons I didn't buy D2 for PC is because while I was waiting for it to launch I watched all my favorite Destiny streamers go from "D2 YAY!" and slowly change to "D2 WTF!".

Now a lot of them are Warframe streamers.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i think the biggest single lesson mmos need to take is that complexity is not the enemy

you just need to introduce it slowly and sensibly

but it should be there

or people will get very bored very fast

obF2Wuw.png
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    i think the biggest single lesson mmos need to take is that complexity is not the enemy

you just need to introduce it slowly and sensibly

but it should be there

or people will get very bored very fast

They should also be looking at RPGs for the amount of included content. You want a game that will engage for at least 100 hours, and that doesn't mean replaying the same 20 short scenarios 100 times.

• descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    can i put an angled foregrip +1 on my rifle?

can i pull granola bars out of some 5.11-ass backpack and give them to bystanders?

can i collect 17 bubble goose jackets?

sold

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular

Just fuckin'...goddammit Ubisoft. I liked Division 1! I want to play Division 2! But shit like this is really offputting because it's so goddamn stupid! (bolded is the interviewer)
    I’m just going to say that you are a veteran agent who was activated before the time of The Division 2 and you got the SOS call. OK, you’re war torn. You’re tired. You’ve been doing Division stuff elsewhere and you arrive in DC to find what it is that you’re going to find. And you’re going to rebuild and make sure that DC does not collapse, SHaDe [Strategic Homeland Division] does not collapse and that the nation does not collapse. And so should it be clear, we’re definitely not making any political statements. Right? This is still a work of fiction, right? Our job —
    Wait a minute. It’s in DC.

Yes.

Your central character here on the key art has an American flag bandana tied to their backpack.

That’s correct.

This is not a political statement?

Absolutely not.

Taking up arms against a corrupt government is not a political statement?

No. It’s not a political statement. No, we are absolutely here to explore a new city.

You have this grin on your face.

I can absolutely understand the question, the assumption, and the nature of it, but I’m here to tell you that DC, the reason that we chose it was for the ones that I said.

OK fine, great, you don't wanna offend customers or whatever out there but like COME ON GUYS

I really, really don’t think The Division is any more political statement-y than The Siege or The Rock.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Division is 100% a political statement, Ubisoft is just super dumb all of the time about this. See Far Cry 5 for more.

• Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Division is 100% a political statement, Ubisoft is just super dumb all of the time about this. See Far Cry 5 for more.

Right? I shouldn't be surprised, but I don't think they said anything THIS dumb about FC5.

• shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Crippl3 wrote: »

Right? I shouldn't be surprised, but I don't think they said anything THIS dumb about FC5.

The interviews surrounding Far Cry 5 were mainly about how they were cowarding out as hard as they possibly could.
    https://www.pcgamesn.com/far-cry-5/far-cry-5-political-real-cult

They chose Montana because they didn't know anything about it. They did some cursory cult research and then just made a "fun time shooting a k-razy cult" game that everybody could enjoy. While ignoring the rise of actual supremacist groups in current day America. Or real life land grab attempts by cults or wackos in the rural United States, despite a crazed land grab being the backbone of their plot. And then their marketing team communicated that they were going to make a version of this story that would in some way speak to these issues, to draw people in. Ultimately, I think Far Cry 5 is about as bad as The Call of Juarez The Cartel game was. Take a real life issue FULL of depth and begging for exploration and then write a shitty sub-airport novel plot about it, cutting out anything that would actually be objectionable.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    When are these Shield objectives supposed to be appearing in Division 1?

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »
    Sometime tomorrow.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular
    Sirialis wrote: »

tomorrow.

• SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    It is? Hmmm...I bailed out after they released that first "raid."

It's the Survivor mode, it's paid DLC unfortunately, but it's a lot of fun.

Polygon probably thinks Mario Odyssey is a political statement.

• SirialisSirialis of the Halite Throne. Registered User regular
    I want to play Survival in first person with VR.

• ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    GONG-00 wrote: »
    It is? Hmmm...I bailed out after they released that first "raid."

It's the Survivor mode, it's paid DLC unfortunately, but it's a lot of fun.

Good(ish) news, then! The "Season Pass" thingy is on sale for $8. Alternatively, could just grab Survivor for $3.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I played a lot of the first Division and I liked the gameplay, but the storyline and some of the quests have never sat right with me.

A lot of the missions are defending airdropped supplies from clearly minority citizens who are...less deserving of them than the Division is? You spend a lot of time murdering what appear to be just normal citizens trying to survive. With the exception of those firefighters who are trying to burn down the city it never felt like you were really defending anyone, but rather killing civillians.

With that said, I enjoyed the gameplay and the little individual story recordings, but man - I don't know - still never felt fight.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I played a lot of the first Division and I liked the gameplay, but the storyline and some of the quests have never sat right with me.

A lot of the missions are defending airdropped supplies from clearly minority citizens who are...less deserving of them than the Division is? You spend a lot of time murdering what appear to be just normal citizens trying to survive. With the exception of those firefighters who are trying to burn down the city it never felt like you were really defending anyone, but rather killing civillians.

With that said, I enjoyed the gameplay and the little individual story recordings, but man - I don't know - still never felt fight.

I feel like you played a different game compared to everyone else.

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Division agents who went nuts with the killing civilians were the hi end bosses.

• SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    I admit I chuckled at this one

Is it just me that's kind of waiting for the big edited together breakdown of new stuff/gameplay highlight from all the streams that will turn up in a number of places in 2 weeks? I'm fairly sold on what I've seen so far and a few impressions here and there, but a nice blow by blow hands on from someone who knows the base game well would be great.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    There's also the private military company that is conscripting citizens to fight for them and the escaped prisoners that literally beat civilians to death in the street. Oh and the rioters often have civilians held at gunpoint presumably robbing them of supplies.

A lot of the minority kinda struck me as cringe worthy because it's almost always talking about the rioters (the people in hoodies with baseball caps and bandannas over their mouths) but the thing is if you get up close they're white. But due to events happening in the world at the time it seems like people saw npcs in hoodies and assumed they were African Americans.

I wanna say I read an interview where it was stated they were modled style-wise after the rioters in the UK but I can't find it anymore. Still pretty tone deaf even if that's the case though.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Honestly as political as the game is in its nature. I really don't want Ubisoft to try and do any kind of political messaging in the game because they are fucking awful at it and Tom Clancy's politics are gross.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I've always found 'Clumsy' to be the best word for describing Ubisoft's attempts at working political or social messages into its games.

edited June 2018

The game is a depiction of the actual US Gov't contingency plan. Albeit a more action movie depiction.

The only thing The Division is missing is that the whole thing is a joint operation between the US and Canada and that the overall plan for such a catastrophic emergency is that we'd stabilize the US first and then move on to Canada.

Axen on
  • ZetxZetx 🐧 Registered User regular
    I didn't get the feeling that the Dollar Flu was gone at the end of TD1? Or was the idea at the end that it was gone and the story was now pivoting (for TD2) into the political/civil war stuff?
    The latter question regarding the ECHO you find in Aaron's apartment. What I can remember of it, anyway

76561197966849367.png
    edited June 2018
    Yeah going to DC six months later isn't what I was hoping for. I was hoping it would continue the plot from the first game but eh as long as they get the gameplay and progression right and there's a decent amount of content I can live with heading to DC.

HappylilElf on
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    It took them awhile but TD1 finally put what I wanted in near the end of the dlc cycle. I can only hope they include it in 2.

That's right, the most important thing.

Cowboy hat

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • CarpyCarpy Registered User regular
    This E3 stuff got me to re-download the First game to finish it off. Looking at the season pass on the Xbox store it doesn't look like any of the dlc continues the story, is that right?

You could make an argument for some of it but it'd be a super weak argument.

There was no DLC that meaningfully continued the story.

• HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    I mostly enjoyed The Division, even before the improvements they added later...

I just really, really, *really* hope they finally give us a PvE Darkzone or at the absolute very least 'fix' it so its not just an utter gankfeast...

That was one of my biggest disappointments with the first Game... the *idea* of the Darkzone was awesome and even in the open beta it was actually pretty good! with actual friendly interactions and even some grouping up ect. and the occasional 'Rogue' Agent running around but it quickly devolved into just straight up KoS, ganking at entrances (although they apparently 'fixed' this, somewhat?) and four mans rolling around ganking anyone and everyone.

1Gn4PNI.png
    I've had some good interactions in the DZ. Like a group of rogues run up on me and I broadcast in game voice chat "Hey guys, just in here for the daily" and they run off

Admittedly I've also had groups just run up, go rogue and murder me without a word. Thankfully though it seems like the manhunt thing has made this really rare.

Now the people that want to run around ganking people spend most of their time trying to hold an area for bonus rewards which, hey, thumbs up please spend your time dry humping cover off over there please.

• ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I’m mostly excited to get away from the snow. It was pretty, I loved it, but now I want to look at something else.

smCQ5WE.jpg
    the first Shields are live and as follows.
    • Shepherd - Liberate the base of operations
    • Hazard - Clear 25 Landmarks in the Dark Zone
    • DeadEye - Complete all weekly HVT's in a single week
    • Avenger - Take out 10 named bosses in Manhattan, 10 in the Dark Zone and 10 in West Side Piers

addition Shlields will unlock at a rate of one per month up through February. and again, these are retroactive, so if you've met any of the requirements in the past then the Shield will already be unlocked when you log in. i've apparently only managed the first one and have zero progress towards the others. got some work ahead of me it seems.

• BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    The Dark Zone was a lot of fun (my own personal highlight was taking out a group of 8 rogues with 4 of us back when people figured out how to do that), but given that it was PvP and the game itself was sans PvP until the end, it was definitely a mistake having that as the only endgame activity worth a damn for awhile.

I DO hope a DZ like entity exists in D2, though. Just not only that for all of my friends who don't like conflict.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    am pretty sure they've confirmed that the DZ will be making a return and that there will be a bit more variety in end game content at launch this time around.

edited June 2018
    The one thing I didn't like from TD1 was fast travel. When the game was announced, and the map revealed, the theme seemed like you had to explore the city, that going out into the city was a dangerous affair.

So I naturally assumed that you had to actually plan to go from one place to the next, that supplies would run low the further you went, that it was a real challenge. The way the map was laid out, it seemed like the DZ was a way of taking a shortcut across the city but having to take a much higher risk in doing so. The fact that food and water were in the game also hinted that maybe you needed to keep your thirst and hunger in check and why giving it out to any civilian was actually a big deal.

Heck maybe all this was in the game and scrapped to make it simpler and more accessible. A lot of this seems to have been implemented in the Survival mode and I immensely enjoy it. I seriously doubt it will happen but I wish that TD2 goes a little bit this way. Just make fast-travel have a high cost, or unlock it once you reach the level cap or something.

Satsumomo on
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    The one thing I didn't like from TD1 was fast travel. When the game was announced, and the map revealed, the theme seemed like you had to explore the city, that going out into the city was a dangerous affair.

So I naturally assumed that you had to actually plan to go from one place to the next, that supplies would run low the further you went, that it was a real challenge. The way the map was laid out, it seemed like the DZ was a way of taking a shortcut across the city but having to take a much higher risk in doing so. The fact that food and water were in the game also hinted that maybe you needed to keep your thirst and hunger in check and why giving it out to any civilian was actually a big deal.

Heck maybe all this was in the game and scrapped to make it simpler and more accessible. A lot of this seems to have been implemented in the Survival mode and I immensely enjoy it. I seriously doubt it will happen but I wish that TD2 goes a little bit this way. Just make fast-travel have a high cost, or unlock it once you reach the level cap or something.

i think when the game was first announced it was planned to be heavier on the survival stuff. i remember them talking about rigging stuff up to catch water and others being able to raid your supplies, but obviously none of that made it into that actual game.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    With that much snow around, water would not be a problem, right ? Unless you were stuck indoors or underground.