As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pokemon Go] Ultra Beast mode

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Has anyone got a potion recently?

I haven't spun a single healing item in weeks

I'm not counting revives though as I have dozens of them

They changed it months back so you mostly get healing items from spinning gyms. (Or, personally, from raids)

steam_sig.png
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    TDawg wrote: »
    Grobian wrote: »
    TDawg wrote: »
    ah shucks I didn't get a shiny for this event
    I did get an Articuno, which is great. I wonder if they'll just rotate among the Gen 1 legendary birds for the monthly quests

Although I wouldn't be surprised if they kept it rotating through trios (Birds, Beasts, Regis), I don't feel like these quests give you such an abundance of any given legendary that it would break the game. If you time it perfectly you can get 5 of anything in a month, whereas I know people in my town who get 5 Ho-Ohs a day.

Beasts seem likely but regis are only due as raid bosses next. So I don't know if they aren't too soon as research rewards in october. But otoh what else is there after the precedent whith the birds? Any non legendaries would feel bad.

Pogo turns two soon, wonder what they'll do for that milestone. (apart from safari zones)

I said that assuming that by the time the Regi Rotation might come around, they'd already made their Raid Debut. It would be a quick transition but not a huge deal.

I could also see some 4* raid bosses being decent rewards- I'd love an extra Tyranitar or two, or an extra way to get Absol. In my area, these raid bosses are actually harder to fight than the legendaries because people are less likely to cough up the raid pass for them.

I actually got two Absol field research tasks yesterday, that was great. I was in the same boat as you and could never find another player to raid it.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Has anyone got a potion recently?

I haven't spun a single healing item in weeks

I'm not counting revives though as I have dozens of them

They changed it months back so you mostly get healing items from spinning gyms. (Or, personally, from raids)

ah figures

there are no gyms around me

I have to put pokemons in when I travel and when they come back dead I can't heal them =/

• BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Shenanigans are afoot (or Niantic broke something again!) :P

A bunch of us got a second EX Raid pass for next week, first one came out yesterday as expected and another one just minutes ago. So now I can get 2 MewTwos next Tuesday!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    meanwhile, I made a special trip to 5 gyms this morning while taking my son to school

zero healing items

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I just started playing again. Got a shiny Ho Oh, so winning?

What is this I don't even.
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Oh neat, I got an EX raid pass for next week. I think this is my first one, so that'll be fun maybe?

PSN: jfrofl
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Oh, hey, @Radiation didn't know you still play. You'll have to take me on a trek sometime downtown. Maybe if I ever get an EX pass we can do a thing.

What is this I don't even.
    The pass I got was locked to a specific gym.
    But yes I'm up for some poke-mans trek thing. How's your July look?
    @Quid how's your July look?

I think I'll just start using low level pidgys in gyms and raids. That way I can just destroy them when I'm done.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I started playing a little bit too, mostly due to the Pikachu/Eevee announcement. As a testament to how little I've been playing previously, I had two eggs hatch into an Ash hat Pichu.. lol. I finally got an Aerodactyl from one of the research thingies which was pretty much the last non-legendary gen 1 pokemon I needed. After that I lost most of my motivation again since I'm at the Mew step that wants me to do Gym and Raid stuff which is like the biggest reason I quit (because seriously, fuck raids, I hate them).

Also the game still runs like shit and hides pokemon or doesn't give me egg steps all the time... *sigh*

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I started playing a little bit too, mostly due to the Pikachu/Eevee announcement. As a testament to how little I've been playing previously, I had two eggs hatch into an Ash hat Pichu.. lol. I finally got an Aerodactyl from one of the research thingies which was pretty much the last non-legendary gen 1 pokemon I needed. After that I lost most of my motivation again since I'm at the Mew step that wants me to do Gym and Raid stuff which is like the biggest reason I quit (because seriously, fuck raids, I hate them).

Also the game still runs like shit and hides pokemon or doesn't give me egg steps all the time... *sigh*

You don't have to do raids with other people... one and two-star raids are easily doable solo, and you can knock out the two required for research very quickly.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    cloudeagle wrote: »

You don't have to do raids with other people... one and two-star raids are easily doable solo, and you can knock out the two required for research very quickly.

Yeah I know. Still I just hate the idea of it. I've done a couple of them before and they were so buggy - I had to re-do one raid over and over because I kept getting kicked out of it. Besides, I know I'll just hit a massive wall when I get to the actual BS ones like Ditto or Ghost Pokemon or freaking Gyarados (seriously, screw you Niantic for that one)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282

Yeah I know. Still I just hate the idea of it. I've done a couple of them before and they were so buggy - I had to re-do one raid over and over because I kept getting kicked out of it. Besides, I know I'll just hit a massive wall when I get to the actual BS ones like Ditto or Ghost Pokemon or freaking Gyarados (seriously, screw you Niantic for that one)

The bugs are pretty much gone now, unless you have a bad cell signal.

And there's no shame in just beating up a couple of Magikarp.

edited June 2018

The bugs are pretty much gone now, unless you have a bad cell signal.

And there's no shame in just beating up a couple of Magikarp.

I dunno, maybe I will try. But I know my character tends to rubber band *all* the time which despawns everything. I think the GPS around here just isn't that great (though it's perfectly fine for any other GPS apps like Google Maps, so no idea why Pokemon Go is the only one that has problems). Nothing I can do about it. But I think that was part of the problems with the raid battles before.

Warlock82 on
  • SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    So I pretty much haven't played this game since before they first expanded the Pokedex, and I'm glad I just looked up the mythical research steps since it looks like there are a couple of things I should save up:
    berries, Magikarp candy, and Pokemon to evolve.

Are there any particular tips or things I should know, considering I know basically nothing? I'm vaguely aware of what raids are and that's about it.

Surfpossum on
    Looks like we're having another water festival, with water-types appearing more often and giving you triple stardust. 2KM eggs will hatch rare water-types with double candy and stardust. And Kyogre's back.

edited June 2018
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    So I pretty much haven't played this game since before they first expanded the Pokedex, and I'm glad I just looked up the mythical research steps since it looks like there are a couple of things I should save up:

Are there any particular tips or things I should know, considering I know basically nothing? I'm vaguely aware of what raids are and that's about it.

If you've seen the steps, you pretty much know what to do. The good news is that you picked a great time to resume playing, since Magikarp will be more common for a couple weeks starting in a few hours. As far as raids go, just find one that's ranked as one-star -- you can easily do those solo.

Dunno if you know about the new gym system, but they're much better now. The game will even suggest what Pokemon to use.

And don't be too intimidated by the excellent curveball -- I never do curveballs and I was able to pull that one off.

Check out the first post in this thread; it may help!

Edit: If you have trouble finding ghosts, check your local Pokemon Go group for nest lists -- you could get lucky and have one spawn a lot in an area. Failing that, ghosts appear more commonly at night and just after sunrise, plus you can find relatively weak ones in raids.

cloudeagle on
    finally got one potion!

out of 9 gyms

now I only need 50 or 60 more

• KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    My game despawns all the pokemon all the time too. It's just terrible. No problem with GPS in any other app.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    I somehow got 140 hyper potions. I guess it piles up if you leech off of a strong raid party

steam_sig.png
  • TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Accidentally stumbled upon the raid group taking down a Ho-Oh today and got a shiny out of it. Nice for my last one!

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
    Surfpossum wrote: »

https://pokemongo.gamepress.gg/welcome-back-guide-returning-players

Is probably all you need to know.

Finally got a feebass

First one ran

.... 20k per candy!?

Thats like 35k per candy in pokemon go distance!

Guess I'll try to farm rare candies =/

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Actually, Feebas is 5 km per candy, but if you want to evolve it you have to walk the one you're evolving 20 km first

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    That seems odd

Better than the alternative though

• pezgenpezgen Registered User regular
    It's to try to emulate the friendship mechanic, or something? I'm walking my Feebas now - started in the event so the candy would come quicker, but I've still got about 13 to go...

edited June 2018
    Man, I'm on the ghost part of the special research thing. This is going to take forever.
    Also for that EX raid tomorrow. Anything I need to know?

Radiation on
    Radiation wrote: »
    Man, I'm on the ghost part of the special research thing. This is going to take forever.

Show up at least five minutes early. They typically start on the dot, and if you miss it there likely won't be enough stragglers for a second group.

Also, Mewtwo is easier to catch than other legendaries, but his attack animation is longer than you'd expect. Wait until his arm comes back down to his side completely before throwing the ball.

Good luck!

pezgen wrote: »
    It's to try to emulate the friendship mechanic, or something? I'm walking my Feebas now - started in the event so the candy would come quicker, but I've still got about 13 to go...

I still have 3 candy to go to evolve my togapei (sp?) so I'll start him after that

belldum and shellgon will have to wait!

edited June 2018
    Radiation wrote: »

Also use dark, bug or ghost moves against him. Tyranitar. Houndoom. Scizor. Pinsir. Gengar. Gyarados. Crawdaunt.

But if they don't have the good move types then just use dragonite.

Grobian on
  • RuldarRuldar Registered User regular
    I wouldn't recommend trusting a raid group you aren't familiar with to wait on stragglers, but the last EX raid I did specifically had a group (instinct goes last in my area, so my group) that waited until about ten minutes left on the timer to start to give more people time to arrive. It depends on who is organizing the group and if anyone is.

Don't plan on showing up late, but don't give up without attending if you accidentally are.

edited June 2018
    The gym is like a stones throw away from the house. Facebook has the group meeting 30 minutes in, as it's during work hours.
    Figure I'll show up on time with an audio book on the phone.

Edit: Whoot, popped an egg before the raid and then we finished it. Then did a lap around the area getting some gyms/pokestops. Caught a mewtwo, which is neat.
    I swear if you had told middleschool Radiation that someday he'd be playing pokemon with a bunch of other adults trying to do a gym battle I would have no way of believing that. It was kinda neat.

Radiation on
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Had 9 10km eggs and 2 hatch 5 eggs quests. Eggs at 9km ready to go for a walk at lunch and pop a star piece and lucky egg. Clearing out my box to make sure there is lots of room, GPS drift walked me 1km and hatched the eggs. I really needed that 20k dust too!

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    To celebrate their upcoming Pokemon game at E3, unowns that spell "LETS GO!" are spawning all over downtown LA!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    Bogey wrote: »
    To celebrate their upcoming Pokemon game at E3, unowns that spell "LETS GO!" are spawning all over downtown LA!

Every Unown spawn ever:

"To celebrate <event that is only happening in California>, Unowns that spell <A word> are spawning all over <that one location that is no where close to where I live>"

Every Unown spawn ever:

"To celebrate <event that is only happening in California>, Unowns that spell <A word> are spawning all over <that one location that is no where close to where I live>"

Every Pokemon Go news ever:

*Warlock82 complains about it*

I kid because I love. :P

Every Unown spawn ever:

Every Pokemon Go news ever:

*Warlock82 complains about it*

I kid because I love. :P

Hehe, it is true. And to be fair, I only complain because I still really want to like this game :P I just always hate the way Niantic is handling it.

But for serious, can we get like an Unown community day or *something*? This pokemon does not exist if you don't attend a convention in California. I would take like a Q or something, I don't even care what letter it is...

What other california events have there been? If anything, the events seem biased towards the midwest, with all those chicago events

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2018
    Spoit wrote: »
    What other california events have there been? If anything, the events seem biased towards the midwest, with all those chicago events

It seems like it's always some con in California. I think they might have done Comicon? I dunno, I'd have to see if anyone has ever compiled a list.

Edit: https://pokemongohub.net/post/questions-and-answers/unown-letters-released-events-far/

Ah, a bit more spread out than I thought but still places no where close to me. Many were international, a handful in California (E3 2018, TwitchCon 2017, Pokemon World Championships 2017), one in Texas for SXSW and one in Chicago for GO Fest.

Warlock82 on