As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular

I don't know how to use imgur but I wanted to show off my collection of Zombicide tiles.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • ArmorocArmoroc Registered User regular
    I've been itching for a board game of my own. I've played Betrayal on House on the Hill and that got me hooked, but I'm not sure if I want to buy a copy for myself or get something else. I would most likely play with family or my girlfriend, but they always hesitate when I tell them about the rules.

I have been eyeing Scythe and I've seen 1 full session on youtube and I think that would be another game I can enjoy, but then again... the rules. The next best thing seems like the digital version on TableTop Simulator, but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure my old PC can maintain a stable framerate. How is the community and does it welcome newbies like me?

Another three that piqued my interest are Photosynthesis, The Forbidden Desert, and The Forbidden Island since those seem simple enough for everyone to enjoy.

I'm sure I will get them all sooner or later, but which would be a good first choice?

• DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Do you have a regular group to play with? If so, my advice is always the same. Buy Pandemic, and then, if you like it, play Pandemic Legacy.

• AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Armoroc wrote: »
    I've been itching for a board game of my own. I've played Betrayal on House on the Hill and that got me hooked, but I'm not sure if I want to buy a copy for myself or get something else. I would most likely play with family or my girlfriend, but they always hesitate when I tell them about the rules.

I have been eyeing Scythe and I've seen 1 full session on youtube and I think that would be another game I can enjoy, but then again... the rules. The next best thing seems like the digital version on TableTop Simulator, but I'm hesitant because I'm not sure my old PC can maintain a stable framerate. How is the community and does it welcome newbies like me?

Another three that piqued my interest are Photosynthesis, The Forbidden Desert, and The Forbidden Island since those seem simple enough for everyone to enjoy.

I'm sure I will get them all sooner or later, but which would be a good first choice?

Forbidden Island is a great first choice for any group. It is very easy and quick to learn while still being fun to play.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    Astaereth wrote: »

Forbidden Island is a great first choice for any group. It is very easy and quick to learn while still being fun to play.

I'll second this. Co-op, problem solving, fun. After a few games of this it might be a good gateway into Pandemic as @Darric mentioned or just to get them willing to try learning new rules for different games since it isn't so bad.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »

I don't know how to use imgur but I wanted to show off my collection of Zombicide tiles.

I am so

so

happy with how interesting and pretty and just barely weird enough virtually all of the Z:BP stuff has been.

As we've gotten everything, we've unboxed it, checked it out, look at it, then put it back away and never touch it!

Because holy shit that stuff will murder you.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    I mostly second Forbidden Island, but I would recommend picking up Forbidden Desert instead. They're both by the same designer and are very similar games, but Forbidden Desert came out three years later and plays more like a refined version of Forbidden Island.

My group happily played Forbidden Island a few times, but we never touched it again after the first time someone brought Forbidden Desert to game night. Forbidden Desert is also quick to learn and fun to play co-op, problem solving fun. It's just a better version of it, in my opinion.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Another great thing about Forbidden Island/Desert is they are very inexpensive. So if I go visit family and they seem to really enjoy it, I don't feel bad about leaving it with them.

Thanks for all the responses!

I don't have a group to play with, but I think my gf is interested enough to play some co-op games with me. She liked the idea of The Forbidden Desert the most and if she likes it then I think my family is more likely to give it a try.

As for Pandemic, I wrote it off initially because it doesn't have that fantasy/SF/adventure/horror/etc flair like all the other boardgames I mentioned in my previous post, but other places on the internet have praised the hell out of it too so I will do more research on it.

• IvelliusIvellius Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

As a nerd who just kind of bought whatever when I started...what kinds of themes interest you? What have you played in the past? I think Munchkin is pretty good, though it does have its flaws. King of Tokyo is basically Yahtzee with a kaiju coat of paint, but it's accessible, fairly quick, and gets enjoyed. Small World is a good fantasy / goofy making fun of tropes territory control game. Zooloretto has been very popular with people I've played it with. Maybe Smash Up?

I'll be honest: I would not recommend Pandemic, though there is a Cthulhu-themed variant that might be more up your alley. Personally, I think the gameplay is fairly unengaging--yes, it's co-op, but because of table-talk it doesn't feel like individual players have much agency to me. You can play the game yourself and decisions wouldn't be all that much different.

Ivellius on
    Me elsewhere:
    Steam, various fora: Ivellius
    League of Legends: Doctor Ivellius
    Twitch, probably another place or two I forget: LPIvellius
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Keep in mind that Pandemic Legacy eliminates the quarter-backing feeling that can result from vanilla Pandemic, where the more experienced player can end up dominating all the strategy. The reason for this is because Pandemic Legacy is continuously introducing new elements with every session, so everyone is processing new strategies at the same time, so talking strategy as a group is encouraged.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ivellius wrote: »

As a nerd who just kind of bought whatever when I started...what kinds of themes interest you? What have you played in the past? I think Munchkin is pretty good, though it does have its flaws. King of Tokyo is basically Yahtzee with a kaiju coat of paint, but it's accessible, fairly quick, and gets enjoyed. Small World is a good fantasy / goofy making fun of tropes territory control game. Zooloretto has been very popular with people I've played it with. Maybe Smash Up?

I'll be honest: I would not recommend Pandemic, though there is a Cthulhu-themed variant that might be more up your alley. Personally, I think the gameplay is fairly unengaging--yes, it's co-op, but because of table-talk it doesn't feel like individual players have much agency to me. You can play the game yourself and decisions wouldn't be all that much different.

Let's not do rash things like saying Munchkin has merit as a game

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule

I see advertisements for Munchkins in the back of my comics all the time and I will say it doesn't interest me at all. The artwork turns me off.

As for which themes interest me? These past few pages everyone talked about escape room type games. That caught my attention. As for other stuff, I like science fiction, robots, mystery, and horror. Although, that's not enough and I would need to actually play a game for myself to know what it is I'm looking for. I will certainly look up your recommendations so thank you for that :heartbeat:

I see advertisements for Munchkins in the back of my comics all the time and I will say it doesn't interest me at all. The artwork turns me off.

As for which themes interest me? These past few pages everyone talked about escape room type games. That caught my attention. As for other stuff, I like science fiction, robots, mystery, and horror. Although, that's not enough and I would need to actually play a game for myself to know what it is I'm looking for. I will certainly look up your recommendations so thank you for that :heartbeat:

A Pandemic Cthulhu exists but I have no idea how it plays.

If you like mystery there's always Mysterium/Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. I have both of those but have only played Mysterium. I'm told Deception is the better version, I just haven't gotten it to.the table yet.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    Do you have a regular group to play with? If so, my advice is always the same. Buy Pandemic, and then, if you like it, play Pandemic Legacy.
    You can happily skip vanilla Pandemic though. It's a bit silly to buy both.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    I've not yet found anyone who disliked Tokaido. It's simple, beautifully presented, not too long and while competitive it's not overly so.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    In general, the co-op recommendations have been good and I stand alongside those recommendations. However if it's just going to be one person plus their partner on most occasions, we might actually recommend more games that play well at 2 for some alternatives. <_<

That said, Bogart is probably right that Tokaido is maybe the one you could sell your family on playing. The game is not at all complex and very easily taught visually (set it up, show people what happens with each move they can make, etc), and when I would pitch it at the board game cafe I'd lead with "It's really best described as beautiful." I just think the 2-player variant is pretty garbage, and you really need 3 or 4 players, making it harder to say "Start here!"
    Alternatively, for getting your family involved, start out with something that's simple but packs a lot of punch, like Love Letter, Sushi Go or Codenames. These games don't take too long to play, but they're still deep and thoughtful enough to be engaging. They also frequently get played multiple times in a row, so you get pretty good bang for your buck.
    The other entry point would be to pick up a more interesting dexterity game of some sort as they're generally approachable by everyone and rarely try to have rules that are too ridiculous. Some decent entries there would be Hamsterrolle, Meeple Circus, Riff-Raff and Menara.

Some 2-player specific titles you might want to look into:
    7-Wonders Duel
    Codenames: Duet
    Jaipur
    Onitama
    Hanamikoji
    Patchwork
    Santorini

Some games that will play 2 well, but can play with more:
    Hanabi
    Love Letter
    Viticulture
    Suburbia
    Splendor
    Carcassonne
    Kingdomino
    Mysterium

[Edit]
    It's also worth bringing up these days ...
    Depending on where you live, see if there's a board game cafe in your area / near enough by to visit. They should have a good chunk of things for you guys to try out, and there's no better way to figure out what you like than playing a smattering of different stuff. Often times (definitely not always) they even have people to teach you the games, so that can get you started and playing through things even quicker.

ArcticLancer on
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Is there any way to beat the painter in Tokaido?

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod

This is the very first I've heard of one character in Tokaido being overpowered. It's not come up in 10+ games.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »

This is the very first I've heard of one character in Tokaido being overpowered. It's not come up in 10+ games.

Painter's one of the easier ones to wrap your head around for scoring purposes and some people give up on painting at all once they see him. They shouldn't.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

Whatever your opponent is specialized in, take all of it forever.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Darric wrote: »
    You can happily skip vanilla Pandemic though. It's a bit silly to buy both.

To expand on this line of thought: Vanilla Pandemic is a perfectly fine game, and considered a great way to get people into "real" board games. However, once you've played it enough, one begins to figure out optimal strategies. Now, there are expansions that add more stuff to the game that can extend replay, and as I haven't played with them I can't comment on their effectiveness. Keep in mind this gripe is also something that arises after many, many games of it are played.

There are also specific flavors of Pandemic, such as Pandemic: Iberia and Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu that have the base Pandemic gameplay but make changes to it and also introduce new elements. Again, I haven't played them personally, but my general understanding is that they are different enough to appeal to people who have played Pandemic a lot and also people who haven't. So if you're interested in occult-themed games, maybe check out Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu.

Pandemic: Legacy overcomes the complaint about the base game eventually feeling too predictable by continuously introducing new mechanics and twists and by having previously-played sessions of the game have lasting consequences on the state of the board. It's not just about winning the game, it's about making sure that you don't have an outbreak happen over in Hong Kong before you win the game, because you really don't want them to start rioting. It's deciding between adding this permanent effect to the game board, or adding this permanent effect to an often-played character.

The other reason that Pandemic: Legacy overcomes the risk of becoming too predictable is that it has a designed limited number of play sessions. After playing the base game of Pandemic with it as many times as you like to get familiar with the starting ruleset, when you start actually playing with the Legacy rules in January you will have between 12 to 24 play sessions of the game before you reach the end of the "season." After your final game in December, there are no official rules for how to continue to play the game. Now, a game with a limited number of plays sounds, to some people, like a drawback. But I see it as a strength, because there are a lot of board games I have owned for many years that I still haven't played 12 times. It's not about "only" having 12-24 games played, it's about being so damn compelling that you make sure to play it 12-24 times.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    There exists this market of people who are between us (the folks who live in houses made of board games who throw tons of money at Kickstarted boardgames) and the casual market who is content to play Monopoly, maybe the occasional game of Balderdash if they are feeling frisky. This market is into things like Settlers of Catan and some other enthusiast board games, but they don't go too far afield and don't play the latest/greatest things. I have a lot of friends who live in this market space, and the ones that like co-op games also tend to really like Pandemic.

For people like us, you will definitely want to branch out into the expansions of Pandemic or play Pandemic: Iberia or the Cthulhu one or even Rising Tide (which is based entirely around flooding in the Netherlands, of all things). And you should definitely play Pandemic Legacy Seasons 1 and 2 (some of the best board games I've ever played, of any kind).

Pandemic is quite good as an intro co-op game. It's a bit meatier than Forbidden Desert/Island and plays a bit longer. If people really like Forbidden Desert, then I would get Pandemic or Flash Point: Fire Rescue next for them. But Forbidden Desert is my first choice as an intro co-op.

People keep mentioning quarterbacking (one "smart" player dominating play and telling everyone what to do) as an issue, but one thing to realize is that for a lot of people who live in the "casual" and "intro" markets, it's actually a strength. It can be completely overwhelming to make decisions, and sometimes, people just like to show up for the social gathering and participation and don't mind losing their agency a bit. In those same categories, you'll definitely have people who will object to quarterbacking, too, but it's far more common in our bracket of board game mastery than in the casual/intro bracket.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
    I have also found that Potion Explosion has been a big hit among the Family board game crowd. Up to 4 players, and it's not too meaty, but the gimmick (the marble device that mimics a Match-3 phone game) is a really fun gimmick that captures the interest of kids.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    So I have been going to this boardgame meetup every week and it costs 5$ but then you get a 5$ store credit token. Prices aren't the best but its money already spent. My plan was to save for Twilight Imperium after a few months and then buy it and not have anyone to play it with ever. My totally not a stupid plan has been challenged this week however.

Someone brought Nosfjord and I got a chance to play it. It is a 7 round worker placement game for 1-5 where you run a fishing company. You have 4 or 5 shares of your company which are all worth -1 victory point. The good news is you can sell them for 2 victory points each. The bad news is they can be bought by other players or yourself. When they are bought they are worth 1 victory point, but you have to pay dividends to the stockholders each round... in fish. And you have to pay other people first. There is ship building to increase your catch, buildings to build to give special powers and victory points, and a surprising amount of forest management. To add to replay there are three different decks of buildings to play with.

Now I'm thinking about buying the game that I could play often and with just my wife over the game that I'll likely never play because when will I get a day to play TI? What should I do?

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    So I have been going to this boardgame meetup every week and it costs 5$ but then you get a 5$ store credit token. Prices aren't the best but its money already spent. My plan was to save for Twilight Imperium after a few months and then buy it and not have anyone to play it with ever. My totally not a stupid plan has been challenged this week however.

Someone brought Nosfjord and I got a chance to play it. It is a 7 round worker placement game for 1-5 where you run a fishing company. You have 4 or 5 shares of your company which are all worth -1 victory point. The good news is you can sell them for 2 victory points each. The bad news is they can be bought by other players or yourself. When they are bought they are worth 1 victory point, but you have to pay dividends to the stockholders each round... in fish. And you have to pay other people first. There is ship building to increase your catch, buildings to build to give special powers and victory points, and a surprising amount of forest management. To add to replay there are three different decks of buildings to play with.

Now I'm thinking about buying the game that I could play often and with just my wife over the game that I'll likely never play because when will I get a day to play TI? What should I do?

Same system my about-to-close FLGS used. Typically they'd accumulate until I had enough to cash in on something I'd been eyeing but didn't need; Sentinels of the Multiverse mini-expansions and things like that.

Generally in a situation like that you don't want to buy games someone else owns if you can count on them to show up with them; I have two buddies who are chasing Magic Pink's architectural achievements and it's saved me a lot of money.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Its a good system to be sure.

I understand what you are saying but I was thinking more about being able to play it with my wife and my twice a month game night at my house.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

You made me curious, so I had to look it up.
    Nusfjord

As far as what you should do, it makes a lot of sense to me to buy a game you know you really loved and might get to play over a game you haven't played and expect to never play. Not that I don't have some of those myself. ;P

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    It's almost always the right answer to buy something that you think will actually get played over something that you are basically fantasizing about playing but have no real hope of getting to the table.

• PlushyCthulhuPlushyCthulhu Registered User regular
    Some games that will play 2 well, but can play with more:
    Hanabi

Can you tell me more about playing Hanabi with 2? I love the game at 3 and 4, but with 2 the lack of any mutual card knowledge means that you can't really finesse or bluff and it is hard to make cool inferences that are the bread and butter of a good Hanabi game. I haven't played many 2 player sessions though.

Steam/LoL: plushycthulhu
  • jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    There exists this market of people who are between us (the folks who live in houses made of board games who throw tons of money at Kickstarted boardgames) and the casual market who is content to play Monopoly, maybe the occasional game of Balderdash if they are feeling frisky. This market is into things like Settlers of Catan and some other enthusiast board games, but they don't go too far afield and don't play the latest/greatest things. I have a lot of friends who live in this market space, and the ones that like co-op games also tend to really like Pandemic.

<snip>

People keep mentioning quarterbacking (one "smart" player dominating play and telling everyone what to do) as an issue, but one thing to realize is that for a lot of people who live in the "casual" and "intro" markets, it's actually a strength. It can be completely overwhelming to make decisions, and sometimes, people just like to show up for the social gathering and participation and don't mind losing their agency a bit. In those same categories, you'll definitely have people who will object to quarterbacking, too, but it's far more common in our bracket of board game mastery than in the casual/intro bracket.

Kind of related, I've had to accept the fact that I'm more in that casual crowd, even though I have a couple board game thread OPs with my name on them. I discovered this when my gaming buddy started up his own board game night, and when I attended, those evenings were full of kickstarters, miniatures (GKR holy crud), and 2+ or even 3+ hour gaming sessions. When I asked myself what I would rather do, I realized the answer was "45-60 minute games, with family/friends". Oh, I guess I'm a casual gamer. No joke, upon that self-discovery, went to my gaming cabinet, and took out half a dozen 90+ minute games to sell on consignment at my LGS. I've had SO much more fun gaming in the past 6 months, as a result of that.

I think it's sometimes hard to give up on an idealized version of yourself. My ideal self was the board game guru who had a deep knowledge and appreciation for ALL the top games on BGG. Who could speak knowledgeably about every trend and predominant game mechanism. Instead, I've realized that I want to be a gaming advocate. Fun above all, especially for other casual and occasional players. Probably why I've appreciated SU&SD more in recent months. Those guys are self-proclaimed advocates, and their recommendations reflect that priority, where a game is often given greater love for being attractive, approachable, or raucous fun.

Anyway, that's all to say that I think you're dead-on, that a mark of casualness is a willingness to "lose agency" if the social participation is compelling.

jergarmar on
    When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
    Yeah, I realized a few months ago that I almost always would rather play some sort of co-op game. I don't often get to play non-learning games, and it feels bad to beat up on people who don't know what they're doing. So I'd rather work together. Fortunately my collection seems to have been tending in that direction anyway...

On a similar note, I have a friend who is in my a cappella quartet (so I see him a LOT) who loves playing board games, but also has crippling analysis paralysis. Such that 30 minute games take around one and a half hours, and 1 hour games can last up to 3 hours. If this were some rando, I wouldn't ever play games with this person again. But he's a friend, and I enjoy his company, even though the whole table has to yell at him to take his turn already jesus h christo. And he's willing to try difficult and crazy board games with many moving parts, even though he's really slow at all board games involving turns. I will note that this also never happens with real-time and timed board games, too.

In a perfect world, all of my friends would be just as willing to try new games and would just take their turns quickly. But you take what you can get, and you sort of tailor your library to figure out what is the most fun for everyone. I've introduced more real-time and timed games into the mix, and I try to break out the shorter duration games, with the understanding that he will probably be 100% on board trying it out, but also increase the duration by a factor of x3 or more.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Snagged Istanbul: The Dice Game and was extremely pleased with it. I actually haven't played the original, but I've played several condensed spinoffs of full board games and this is a stellar example of that done right. It's a very light and tight game, competitive, a little RNG but with plenty of ways to mitigate that. My normal board game partner and I are extraordinarily averse to RNG in games and neither of us felt like it was bad in that regard. Definitely recommend.

My Kickstarter of Dome Crushers came in, as well. Fun little 1v1 card game, not sure it'll see much play ever again though, pretty limited replay value. Fine for the price but that's about it.

I actually hoped for years that when I found a partner, they would also love board games and we'd get to do things like play Twilight Struggle on the weekend.
    Now that I have, they enjoy some games, but she doesn't have a big attention span and generally glazes over on rules explanations entirely. I love her anyway (obviously :P ), and it just makes it that much more appreciable when we do find something to play together and enjoy. You do what you can do~

• AetherAether Registered User regular
    My partner loves games as much as I do. It’s great that I’ve always got someone to play with, but neither of us will say no when we’re looking at buying a new game.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The wife and I got to play 7 Wonders: Duel for the first time today. Why didn't any of you tell me how good it is?

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The wife and I got to play 7 Wonders: Duel for the first time today. Why didn't any of you tell me how good it is?
    It's in my list above! ;P

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    It's in my list above! ;P

I ain't got time to read!!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    edited June 2018
    Aether wrote: »
    My partner loves games as much as I do. It’s great that I’ve always got someone to play with, but neither of us will say no when we’re looking at buying a new game.

I've heard in this thread that if you collect enough of them, you can assemble lodging from them. It's not a problem, it's an opportunity!

Fry on
This discussion has been closed.