As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza] Horizon 5 - That Went Well - Retired

• Options
    ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I mean, there were animals in Horizon 3. Did you ever hit one of those? :P

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    I've never actually played any horizon game, so no, I didn't even try to hit one of those.

Yeah, I know, I'm the worst.

• Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular

In general I have pretty awful memory; I seriously don't remember livestock in FH3. Was there some super low setting for old Xboxes that just didn't render livestock?

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    Yeah, I put 80+ hours into horizon 3 and don’t remember ever seeing animals

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular

In general I have pretty awful memory; I seriously don't remember livestock in FH3. Was there some super low setting for old Xboxes that just didn't render livestock?

No, there's no difference what appears in the game between XB1 and XB1X.

(Generally PSFro patches don't add things to PS4 games either. Things just run faster and/or at higher resolution.)

• Options
    edited June 2018
    There wasn't livestock, but yes, there were animals in the world. They were less obvious than cows in a field. But my point here is that I suspect they'll handle this in a way where cars are not meant to collide with sheep. The games have never really had that tone, and I don't know why Codemasters would want to attract that sort of ire.

ArcticLancer on
  • Options
    Plot twist, I am not working Thursday night and hope to be online for some racing.

• Options
    ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    Veevee wrote: »
    Plot twist, I am not working Thursday night and hope to be online for some racing.

:o

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    This is the keyboard I was talking about the other night.

d3wvcafm8w8e.jpeg

The keys aren't staggered so your fingers don't have to curl awkwardly and the thumb cluster in the center helps you use your achy pinky less.
    And this is the more aggressively ergonomic one I was talking about which looks more comfy but would certainly take longer to relearn.
    keyboardio.jpg

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    The seasons thing was so cool. Made me wonder why I've never seen that in racing games before or really any games outside of maybe harvest moon type games?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    First, a Forza Motorsport 7 Alert:
    The VW Bus is in this week's Specialty Dealer! Which means you have until next Tuesday to pick this terrible TERRIBLE beloved vehicle up.

Now, the rest of this long post shall be a Horizon 4 Info dump about all the info that has been released but not been covered already up thread:
    (Heavy cribbing has taken place of the Reddit EVERYTHING thread)
    f287925d-65d4-4442-a8a9-1830454be52e.jpg?n=ForzaHorizon4_E3PressKit_WM_14_RidingLow_story.jpg

Pre-Order Info
    Big thing to note: This time Ultimate Edition includes the Expansion Pass. Also, DLC cars will be released (at least for the Car Pass) at a rate of 2 new cars every week for 21 weeks instead of the monthly packs.

Map Size
    Stated to be the same size map as FH3.

Seasons
    Change. Everything.
    But really, the seasons will cycle for everyone on a weekly basis, starting in Spring. This means a in game "year" will be 4 weeks. Seasons bring different events and access: The example was a lake freezing over in winter, allowing access to a Barn Find on an island inaccessible the rest of the seasons. Again note this happens for everyone at the same rate, offline or not(supposedly by system clock). "Think MMO Events" has been bandied about.
    Temperature plays an effect on the cars handling (night, day, winter, summer, etc). Some of the other differences the seasons bring:
    Spring:
    More rainfall, storms, etc.
    Water levels will be higher (rivers, lakes, creeks).
    Muddier conditions on dirt roads. They have a new mud system, a picture of which can be seen below.
    Summer:
    Nicer weather, drier, less rainfall.
    Lower water levels (rivers, lakes, creeks).
    Dirt roads will be drier and more like typical Horizon offroad sections.
    Newly accessible areas due to lower water levels.
    Autumn:
    More similar to Spring in terms of rainfall but less storms and more overcast.
    Higher water levels (rivers, creeks, lakes).
    Dirt roads will not be as muddy, but can be during rainfall.
    Trees turn and leaves fall.
    Winter:
    Snowy, cloudy conditions.
    Water will be frozen and can be driven on (rivers, creeks, lakes).
    Roads will be covered in snow and ice. Snowplows abound.
    Newly accessible areas due to frozen water.
    98fe9e46-6445-4687-976f-5be09350d790.jpg?n=ForzaHorizon4_E3PressKit_WM_08_MuddyHill_story.jpg

Single Player... Kinda
    One big change is a focus change on the Online/Offline modes. A good explanation(and some nice game footage... even if he won't stop saying "Hooning") is in the video below:
    https://youtu.be/2YXFiWMqqlw
    Basically, to sum up:
    When starting the game, you are matched into a 72 player lobby. While inside that lobby, you can only see the 11 other people in your particular area(lets call this a "shard"). As you move around, you are switched between "shards" depending on those closest to you. They replace the Drivatars that would be driving around in Horizon 3. These other people cannot hit you, they are ghosted immediately on contact. You have some simple quick chat commands that can be used to communicate along with the option to Convoy, just like you could with Drivatars in H3, at which point contact is turned back on and you can go around doing World Events, challenges and basically everything you could do in the old FreeRoam. At any time you can switch to Offline mode and the other drivers will be replaced by Drivatars and it'll work just like Horizon 3's Offline mode.
    Even in Online mode, you can still pause the game, use the Photo mode, go into Drone mode and use Rewind just as in Horizon 3.
    Progression can now be made through any activity: Painting, Tuning, Drifting, Racing, Whatever.
    Horizon Stories are "little bite-sized pieces of narrative-based gameplay that will center around certain activities involved in you owning businesses, interacting with certain people". An example given? You can own a Taxi Company, at which point you can basically play Crazy Taxi.

Customization Options
    Cars:
    Drag & snow tires.
    New Drift Suspension upgrades.
    Horizon Edition cars return, now called Forza Edition cars (like FM7).
    Properties:
    12 purchasable homes(in-game credits). These replace the Festivals from Horizon 3 for Fast Travel and Garages. There is one Festival, which has a Drag Strip, Drift Pads and Stunt Jumps.
    Route Creator:
    Design your own custom races anywhere in the world and share them with the community.
    Seasons can be chosen.
    Point-to-Point & Circuit Races confirmed.

Multiplayer... the normal kind, not the open world kind
    Co-Op Campaign returns.
    12 Player race lobbies like Horizon 3.
    Scoring is no longer based on XP.

---

Okay, I think that's it for now. Most of that will be going in the OP when I get the chance.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    So in a race with the 11 other people you could still be griefed by one of the other people in that shard/convoy. And the 12 person race dwindles down to half that size after half the people rewind at some point in the race?

It sounds interesting and I hope it works out, but I will remain skeptical until proven otherwise.

CommunistCow on
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    So in a race with the 11 other people you could still be griefed by one of the other people in that shard/convoy. And the 12 person race dwindles down to half that size after half the people rewind at some point in the race?

It sounds interesting and I hope it works out, but I will remain skeptical until proven otherwise.

The Convoy is 100% voluntary and out in the open world. It's basically informal grouping up. If you don't Convoy up, everyone will be ghosts.

If you start a race when not in a Convoy, even in an Online 72 player lobby, you'll be racing against Drivatar AI.

The rewinding in actual multiplayer races I'm still not clear on.

Bloodsheed on
  • Options
    In NYC so won't be on again tonight. I'm watching a world cup game with Hakks and Six today I'm sure some of you Boston people want to be here in an hour and a half to join us.

• Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Everything about horizon sounds promising so far.

I really like the week span for each season.

Crazy taxi sounds good!

• Options
    New video from IGN with the Playground devs talking about Horizon Life, which is the progression system so they kind of touch on all parts of the game, also plenty of new game footage in there:
    https://youtu.be/TSe-0sD0Is8

Oh, and I know about the leaked (seriously Playground, put that Push To Live button behind at least 4 more "Are You REALLY REALLY Sure???" prompts at this point) Car List/Barn Finds. I haven't posted it because A. The formatting is painful, B. It's partial (remember the FH3 list leak and how half finished that was?) and C. I personally don't really want that info in that way. If someone else wants to post it, feel free, it's widely available, I'm just largely avoiding it.

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    The list had 5x WRX STI's. That made me happy. I basically always want more rally cars in these games, though.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • Options
    Well I can ignore the barn finds now or I can ignore them later. :D

• Options
    Well I can ignore the barn finds now or I can ignore them later. :D
    Why not both? :D

• Options
    So we ran the SBC series finale last night, 4 laps on the Nurburgring, and Eclibull managed to hold off Walrus to take the win and sneak in a 3 point victory over Ebo for second place in the series.

r7lx7cpaj5m2.png

I'm thinking of holding off on doing another series on Saturday until after the summer. I'll still be around most Saturdays and will be putting up some one-time themed race nights that I'll announce beforehand around this time Sunday or Monday night.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Ah shit I knew I forgot something yesterday.

I really wanted to do that race.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I'll take the blame for that because I didn't post a reminder. Sorry about that.

• Options
    So we ran the SBC series finale last night, 4 laps on the Nurburgring, and Eclibull managed to hold off Walrus to take the win and sneak in a 3 point victory over Ebo for second place in the series.

r7lx7cpaj5m2.png

I'm thinking of holding off on doing another series on Saturday until after the summer. I'll still be around most Saturdays and will be putting up some one-time themed race nights that I'll announce beforehand around this time Sunday or Monday night.

I thank my pit crew/Walrus's pit crew for almost immediately negating the one time he made it past me.

• Options
    VVnerf++

Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    Think you could make it into a decent C500 tune?

Could even call it VVnerf+++

• Options
    This Saturday I hope to host some racing around 8pm eastern, but my wife might have other plans. I'm not sure yet, but if I am around, or the next time I am hosting on Saturday, we will be running the 2018 Indy schedule Forza Edition.

Tracks will be Long Beach, Indy GP, Indy Oval, Road America, and Sonoma Indy. Lap counts will be whatever makes a roughly 10 minute race. Cars will be Homologamated Indy cars.

• Options
    https://youtu.be/3dK-p53pgD4
    Top Gear Car Pack:
    2018 Mclaren 720S
    2017 Ferrari 812 Superfast
    2018 KTM #22 True Racing X-Bow GT4
    2017 VUHL 05RR
    1958 Alfa Romeo Giulietta Sprint Veloce
    1964 Porsche 904 Carrera GTS
    2018 Exomotive Exocet Sport V8 XP-5

Looks like it will be out on the 10th with the July Update. The rest of this info was announced on their Forza Monthly stream:
    Free Cars in July:
    1971 Porsche #23 917/20
    2019 Porsche 911 GT3 RS
    New Features/Changes in July 10th update:
    Collection system revamped. All "Normal" cars will no longer be locked behind community events and will be purchasable at any time. FE cars and Unicorns remain locked.
    Prize Crates will no longer contain cars.
    Lobby hosts gain the ability to kick people during the race.
    Scrolling through the garage or the dealer supposedly fixed. Will no longer cause freezes and stutters.
    Planned Features and Changes NOT INCLUDED IN THIS UPDATE:
    Formula Drift Car pack for Forza Horizon 4 pre-orders
    Drift Suspension upgrade for most cars to increase stance and steering angle, along with a new drifting score system. Possibly in August.
    Track Limits still being worked on.Same for the experimental drag mode.
    Leaderboard wipe will soon happen.
    T10 hinting at "the most updates" they have ever released in July, August and September.
    "The entire team - 100% - is working on Forza 7." Possibly meaning FM8 and Expansions currently not in development?
    New tracks are a maybe.

• Options
    You know, I would think the point of a car pack trailer would be to let you actually see the cars. Having as many cuts as a Michael Bay action sequence is - again, I would think - a really bad approach to that end. <_<

• Options
    I think the logic they are using is that you'll either already know the car or use Google to learn about the car. The trailer is simply a way to get you pumped and excited to race them.

• Options
    I think the logic they are using is that you'll either already know the car or use Google to learn about the car. The trailer is simply a way to get you pumped and excited to race them.

Yeah, I didn't see a problem with it. It is only a minute long and you are fighting against really short attention spans.

• Options
    ... Everyone said as if every other trailer had been the same way?
    But they haven't all been like that. They give the cars a moment of focus, at least somewhere. I literally could only get a glimpse of the Alfa while everything else was noise. It turned me off very hard.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Forza Motorsport 7 July Update is out.
    The July update for Forza Motorsport 7 arrives on July 10! This update includes new features and improvements to the game based on community feedback, as well as some exciting new content in our Porsche Spotlight Cars and the Top Gear Car Pack. The Porsche Spotlight Cars will be free to all Forza 7 players, and the Top Gear Car Pack is one of two additional car packs recently added to the Forza Motorsport 7 Car Pass.

July’s update is full of improvements across Forza Motorsport 7, and this update also kicks off several new development initiatives in the game that we will be releasing over the summer. All of this work is coming directly from our ongoing conversation with the Forza community and our goal to deliver an ever-improving game experience for fans. We’ll outline the major features and changes in the July update below; for a detailed look at the fixes and improvements coming to Forza Motorsport 7 with the July update, check out our Release Notes thread on the Forza Forums.

Porsche Spotlight Cars
    This month is Porsche Month in Forza Motorsport 7 and we’re celebrating with the launch of two new Porsche Spotlight cars, both of which will be available to all Forza 7 players at no additional charge. Classic racing fans will recognize the unmistakable livery of the Porsche 917/20, aka the “Pink Pig”, while the 2019 911 GT3 RS reflects the modern expression of Porsche’s genius...

Unlocked Cars & Prize Crate Changes
    Starting with this update we are making two important changes to how cars are obtained in Forza Motorsport 7. First, we are unlocking all “exclusive” cars in the game. Previously locked cars that were only available for completing certain events (or available in Specialty Dealer) will now be available to all players to purchase with in-game credits. As with any car in the game, players will still need to obtain the appropriate Car Collector Tier and have enough available in-game credits to purchase these cars.

The July update unlocks more than 100 previously exclusive cars. Going forward, the only cars that will remain locked will be Forza Edition cars and unicorn cars that exist in the game. In addition to unlocking all cars, as of July 10, we will remove all car-related crates from Forza Motorsport 7 from the Prize Crates system. The crates that will remain in the game will contain only Driver Gear, Badges, and/or Mod Cards.

Other New Features
    We’ve got some great performance and feature additions to Forza Motorsport 7 with the July update. First up, players will notice a much-improved performance in the car select screens. This change is a direct result of feedback from our multiplayer community; now, during multiplayer intermissions, players will be able to get to your cars quicker than ever before. In addition, we’ve given players another tool to combat griefing behavior by now allowing private lobby hosts to remove players from a lobby in the middle of a race. This update also includes an evolution of the Forza Motorsport 7 Message Center feature; with this update, we’ll be automatically hiding tabs in the Message Center that don’t contain content for the player. Look for more updates to Forza 7 Message Center in the future.
    Also the previously mentioned Top Gear Car Pack. See link for more.

They also did a 1 hour Summer livestream of FH4 after today's Inside Xbox. Here is the uncut video(I have not had a chance to watch it):
    https://youtu.be/U2d7CqmUHPk
    Some highlights (stolen from someone who did get the chance to watch it):
    - 12 houses
    - 30 new types of kits for car customisation including Offroad kit and Wheel Spacers
    - Natural lighting and reflections (outside light) Painting and Forza Vista at every property
    Plus a lot more. Hearing very good things about the map from the footage, eager to watch it myself.

Bloodsheed on
  • Options
    CristovalCristoval Registered User regular
    This game looks too good! That foliage and the tiny details help fill out the world a bit more. They said they would be showing off the map on Tuesday during the next stream which covers Autumn racing (would have showed it today but said there was a bug in it. Probably crashed the game or something). Really can't wait. My wait cannot.

• Options
    Did some forza after work last night and I still got a hard lock immediately as I selected the tune option while a track was loading. It only happened once even after trying to reproduce the error, so there are still some PC bugs. Other than that one hiccup the new patch has made car selection and the other menus faster.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Did some forza after work last night and I still got a hard lock immediately as I selected the tune option while a track was loading.
    I got that in singleplayer twice on the Xbox, so I decided to let the track load.

I did that, went to save the tune and it was crash-o-rama. :rotate:

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Goodwood Festival of Speed going on from today through 15th. Cars from all eras showing off, great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67IvQwZZLVU

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Here is the (uncut, they've been cutting them in the same video so it will suddenly lose the pre-streaming bit at some point) Autumn Stream for Forza Horizon 4:
    https://youtu.be/2WCMyxxAUP4

Things shown:
    - General Autumn Scenery and the northern part of the map
    - A Barn Find (warning if you're trying to avoid seeing them, it's ~ the 9:25 minute mark, if you cut to 10 minutes it should be mostly fine)
    - Full Map (I'm sure images will be pieced together shortly) * Edit: They're now saying it wasn't the whole map, just the current WiP map.
    - Multiple Goliath-sized races
    - Most of a Showcase (game crashed, dev-build and they forgot to turn off notifications, oops)
    - Horizon Life: The shared online open world. Shows off the Auto-Ghosting, the ability to pause, rewind and enter photo mode while online. Also how to switch to offline anytime.
    - Auto-Ghost will also work on traffic cars while in Speed/Drift Zones.
    - Forzathon Live: Open world group events happening every hour on the hour. Rewards a Forzathon Currency which can be used to buy things regularly available in the wheelspin.
    - Progression: Leveling/Campaign in every type of race and activity with rewards. So many bars to fill.
    - Mud: It's very pretty and mud-like.

Next week, Tuesday, is the Winter stream.

Bloodsheed on
  • Options
    A couple stitched together pictures (credit to reddit for these) from the livestream. I'm linking these out because they are large.

First, The Map, which now they're saying is maybe the full map(minus the center bit) for certain definitions of the word. The overhead shot really doesn't do credit to the roads if you watch the stream though. Lots of un-shown snaking on even the really straight roads and the verticality is very apparent in game, less so on the map. Size is pretty much the same as FH3 but it looks like density is closer to FH2.

Second, My Horizon Life, which is their progression screen/system.
    The level rewards spotted during the stream:
    Road Racing Series - Rank 21 - Wheelspin
    Cross Country - Rank 10 - Quickchat phrase "I don't need roads"
    The Drag Strip - Rank 6 - Quick chat phrase "See you at the finish line!"
    Painter - Rank 2 - 10k credits
    Photographer - Rank 2 - 10k credits
    Speedtrap Hero - Rank 11 - 20k credits
    Danger Sign Hero - Rank 8 - Wheelspin
    Explorer - Rank 9 - Super Wheelspin
    Racing Team Adventure - Rank 6 - 15k credits
    Anything Goes Team Adventure - Rank 6 - 15k credits
    Playground Games - Rank 2 - 10k credits
    Team Adventure is the competitive multiplayer mode (aka, what we've run on FH3 race nights). Those far right 4 boxes are ? but the assumption is something to do with the Horizon Stories.

• Options
    skippymchaggisskippymchaggis Registered User regular
    two questions cause it's been a long time:
    1. Forza 7: how are cars unlocked/how annoying is progression? I understand it changed from previous versions?
    2. having never played a Horizon game and thinking 4 looks pretty good: is it worth it to preorder?

• Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    two questions cause it's been a long time:
    1. Forza 7: how are cars unlocked/how annoying is progression? I understand it changed from previous versions?
    2. having never played a Horizon game and thinking 4 looks pretty good: is it worth it to preorder?

Depends on how interested you are and how much time you think you'll sink into it. After Horizon 3, I'm 1000% on board and am probably gonna preorder the ultimate edition, since I'm gonna want all that DLC stuff anyway. Just a normal preorder would probably be fine if you know you're interested. If you haven't played Horizon 3, that might be worth picking up on sale, too, to give you a better feel if the Horizon games are something you'd be into.

Stabbity_Style.png