As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Assassin's Creed] To fight the horde, sing and cry

• Options
    JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    So Odyssey is before Origins, right?

Weird that that they have Origins, and then go further back...

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    I don’t get it either!
    I don’t know... ACO takes place around 50 BC. Sparta’s heyday was centuries before that (the stuff depicted in 300 is in 480 BC). Greece was in deep decline during ACO, so I’m kinda confused as to how this could possibly be linked in any way to the literal origin of the Assassin Order. The Medjay were a very Egyptian thing, and the Hidden Ones follow from that.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    There's a reference to avenging Delian families and you seem to be messing up Athenian military materiel to Sparta's benefit. If Athens is the reason people are getting their vengeance on, that probably puts it sometime after 454 BC, when Athens effectively subjugated the Delian League, to sometime during the Peloponnesian War, which started 23 years later.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Could this be about the beginning and f the Templar order?

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    I imagine Odyssey is going to have more of a focus on
    The Ones Who Came Before

Which would make sense to take it even further back than Origins.

Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Could this be about the beginning and f the Templar order?

oh my god. This would be awesome.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
  • Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Looks really good. I'm a sucker for a Grecian setting.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I didn't see him wearing a hood at any point, unless I missed it

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Holy shit that looks great!

I wonder if anything's different if you choose the female protagonist. Greece looks awesome, too.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    The romance options are all open to either character, from what I'm reading. Bunch of jokes all over Twitter about how BioWare closed a door with Anthem and Ubi opened it right back up.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

Ugh.

Despite my hatred of ships and my dislike of Origins, this looks too good to pass up. The team that made Syndicate is the lead studio on it, heavy romance and RPG elements, and it looks so pretty. . .

Fuck you Ubisoft, you’re going to get my money for this one too.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    There's romance options!?

Oh my stars... someone fetch my fainting couch

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    really awesome details here

including battles with hundreds of people, hiring people for your ship, more xp rewards for stealth kills

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/06/everything-we-learned-about-assassins-creed-odyssey-after-playing-it/

and you can call your horse while running and jump on it mid gallop to keep the movement!

https://youtu.be/tzC1UHdVi9s

Prohass on
  • Options
    Walk animation seems kind of off, but otherwise this looks like the most incredible Assassin's Creed game... wow

I was contemplating BFV in October, but screw that. I have to get Odyssey.

• Options
    More Info

The broken spear you use instead of a hidden blade belonged to Leonidas, and it is apparently a 1st civ artifact.

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_g-MKsQ0dk

I could not be any more hyped for this game!

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Bought The Hidden Ones since it’s 50% off.

I wish it seamlessly joined to the main map but this is a nice, sizeable chunk of game for the price.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited June 2018

There's only a super brief hood in the video, but it's there. Skip to 1:20 in the official reveal trailer.

Images of the hood in the spoiler tag.
    AC%20Odyssey%20-%20Hood%201_zpsxignin1o.png

AC%20Odyssey%20-%20Hood%202_zpsdbbapnn4.png

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

There were some screen shots that showed a hood as equipment. Have no fear!

Also I am quite excited for this. My biggest issue with Origins was that the build the whole game around the RPG systems but didn't lean into them hard enough and it felt a little weird. But now they are leaning in harder and I think that could really fix those issues!

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    The thing that keeps me from being altogether excited for this is that I imagine the world to look and feel a lot like the Greek-flavoured locations of Origins. What I liked best about my favourite Assassin's Creed games were the cities that felt distinctly different, in terms of history as much as geography: renaissance Venice, revolutionary Paris, late Victorian London. At least at a first glance, Odyssey's aesthetic and locations aren't dissimilar from the sun-kissed Mediterranean environments we got in Origins.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Probably because Greece is in the sun-kissed Mediterranean.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Sure, but it's not just that - there are different ways you can depict similar environments, but looking at a screenshot of Odyssey what I see is an aesthetic that is *very* similar. In visual terms, Curse of the Pharaohs looks more different from Origins' main game than Odyssey does.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular

"I know ancient Greece followed Christianity..." :lol:

• Options
    Running around Alexandria was my favourite part of Origins. I really wanted more of that architecture.

So I’m pretty happy to be getting it in Odyssey.

• Options
    MuffinatronMuffinatron Registered User regular
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    [snip]

I really hope someone links them to an article on the Sacred Band of Thebes.

PSN: Holy-Promethium
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    [snip]

I really hope someone links them to an article on the Sacred Band of Thebes.

Or Alexander and Hephastion, or Caesar's diplomatic trip to Bithynia-Pontus, or Sappho, etc...

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    I don't know what you guys are on about. Christianity was huuuuuuge in 431 BC

Frankly, I'm disgusted. How dare Ubisoft include optional content that I never have to see if I don't want. This is outrageous, I'm boycotting this sinful filth! #notmyassassinscreed #keepchristinBC

>.>
    <.<
    *places blanket over ridiculous $120 ultimate edition preorder*

• Options
    canuckontcanuckont Registered User regular
    I thought origins did a good job in breathing new life into the a.c. franchise. Don't really care about the romance options I just want to stab me so dudes and deck my warship out. Wonder if they have sea shanties back then XD

Good on them for doing male/female options I imagine it's double the work for developers.

I saw a kid get handed a JB poster by who I presume was his parents outside my store today....he tore it in half infront of his horrified parents.....There's hope for our youth yet!
  • Options
    Sea shanties are apparently back! They aren't pirate songs, of course, but your crew will sing songs as you sail about.

• Options
    canuckont wrote: »
    I thought origins did a good job in breathing new life into the a.c. franchise. Don't really care about the romance options I just want to stab me so dudes and deck my warship out. Wonder if they have sea shanties back then XD

Good on them for doing male/female options I imagine it's double the work for developers.

Eh, I don't imagine it's so bad. From what I understand, the script is almost identical for the two characters, meaning that NPCs need only the rare dialog tweak - changing a "who is he?" to a "who is she?" and such. They'd need to do a bit more motion capture and model creation, but they're already doing that for a number of people. Compared to the overall cost of the project, I imagine it's a pretty negligible add.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    MassenaMassena Registered User regular

Whats kind of depressing is that... he's NOT wrong. Ancient Greece WAS very Christian, and was a gateway for spreading Christianity from the near east to the west. There are two books in the Bible called Corinthians....

And then, yeah, he's SO wrong, because if you take it back JUUUUUUST a little bit further, not that far actually... barely a hop skip and a jump from Christ, so many Greek men were screwing other men that you can write articles about how women were barely considered people in some places. Like, points for effort, but good Lord dude. I've gotten my morning laugh.

• Options
    I'm super excited for all the RPG elements. The more RPG-like they want to make the AC series, the better.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I'm super excited for all the RPG elements. The more RPG-like they want to make the AC series, the better.

I'm with you there. It's what sold me on Origins and then my biggest issue was that they didn't lean into it quite hard enough and it felt tacked on. But it seems that was a test run for this where they leaned in much harder.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I come from a bit of a strange place with regards to role playing, where I don't consider anything to do with loot to be role playing. For me, role playing is primarily about how a character interacts with other characters. I realize that this is not how a lot of the rest of the world sees it, but in my mind Life is Strange is an RPG and Diablo is not. "Collect all of the loot and maximize stats" isn't role playing, "talk my way through a difficult situation" is role playing.

With that said: that Odyssey has what I consider to be role playing is the primary selling point for me.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    RPG is a fairly ambiguous and not very well defined term.

If you're talking about literally "playing a role" then the player needs to be given enough agency to make decisions and act as that character would act. You aren't playing a role if you're on a guided tour and all of the decisions are made for you.

One of the things I love about watching PA's C-Team broadcasts is that the players often struggle with the idea of "how would my character react versus how I would react." Sometimes if you are truly roleplaying you have to make bad or dumb decisions because that fits the character. And gaming it and min/maxing is not really roleplaying.

Like, I tend to agree with you. I don't consider JRPGs to be roleplaying because there is very rarely any decision making. They're just interactive stories.

And yet the industry has all sorts of sub-genres of RPG. You have the action RPG (like Diablo), the Tactics RPG (like Fire Emblem), the JRPG (like Final Fantasy), the WRPG (like Elder Scrolls) and not all of those really give the player much agency to make decisions and play the role of the character they are portraying. Some do, but not all.

Strictly speaking, the Bioware games, the Witcher games, the Bethesda games, and a few others - games that actually let you make meaningful choices, those are what I would consider to be true roleplaying games because you're actually taking on the persona of a character while you're playing.

To call a game like Diablo an RPG means you also have to call a game like Doom an RPG, because your interaction with the world and with the character(s) is exactly the same in those games. Only the perspective and the interface is what separates them.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So in all the previews for this game it’s kinda bugging me that all the statues are white marble

from what I understand, the ancient Greeks would paint their statues and not just leave them white
    https://youtu.be/pGpNBrix7Hk

I’m sure it was done for reasons but I really would have liked to see that

• Options
    Abstergo has gone on record as saying it would be too expensive to render painted statues in the Animus :P

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Right, I forgot

Because the animation budget is too low

• Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I did see some painted columns and such in the trailers. Might just be that there's not enough reference material out there yet for how the statues looked when painted.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.