As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[The Elder Scrolls Online] It's the 2nd Era, so is this Oblivion 2, or Oblivion -1?

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I've had a couple of lucky instances with loot crates. I pulled a sweet roll once, which was recycled into 400 gems. I got the complete Bouyant Armiger motif out of one. A decent number of costumes/mounts/pets.

But mostly... fucking poisons. So much poison. And they're worthless.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    I've had a couple of lucky instances with loot crates. I pulled a sweet roll once, which was recycled into 400 gems. I got the complete Bouyant Armiger motif out of one. A decent number of costumes/mounts/pets.

But mostly... fucking poisons. So much poison. And they're worthless.

The crown lethal poisons have some use. Pretty sure they're more damage than bow enchantments for stamina players given that player crafted poisons certainly are. They're not as strong as player crafted ones but they're free so I've kept around the ones from daily rewards. But the others are pretty worthless outside of pvp.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I've had some luck with crown crates

they give away enough free ones that over time you EVENTUALLY get something, even if it's from mulching a bunch of crap until you the gem cost for something nice

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    It's nice of them to do the free crate giveaways as I'd probably not try them via the proper route otherwise. If I did, I'd probably do something stupid like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zaDdRLVUohg

• SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Am I correct in thinking that, if playing the game normally, it's not really possible to craft anything good enough to use whilst levelling due to loot drops outpacing crafting progression?

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
    Spaffy wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that, if playing the game normally, it's not really possible to craft anything good enough to use whilst levelling due to loot drops outpacing crafting progression?

Depends how often you play and where you're leveling up. But also when you're playing.

If you play enough each day, you'll outpace the gains from doing the daily crafting writs towards your crafting skill. You'll still sometimes be able to craft a piece or two that drops/rewards aren't covering and that's falling behind in level. An underleveled weapon is especially problematic with the way the scaling works. After a certain point the gear material isn't outgrown as quickly and making appropriate strength gear is more likely.

But you also are playing right after Summerset dropped a new crafting skill that's made players hungry for resource nodes. So materials are going to be in rarer supply.

I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    Also, treasure chests. I swear I can find 10 on the mainland for every 1 that I find in Morrowind.

The Morrowind ones actually drop things people want so they get farmed heavily. Being one of the only two sources of Bouyant Armiger motif chapters outside of the anniversary event makes them rather coveted.
    Ok so finally got a "rotation" that feels fluid and dangerous on my Stamblade Bowguy:

Snipe, Teleport Strike, Surprise Attack, 1/2 light attacks, Killer's Blade to finish 'em off and heal up, onto the next guy. Feels real nice. Although no idea what I'm stabbing them with when I have my bow equipped...

Try to avoid doing 2 light attacks in a row. Ideally, you throw them (or one heavy attack) in between each ability you use. Due to quirks of the animation system, abilities can cancel the aftercast animations of light and heavy attacks but two light attacks in a row makes you wait for the full animation of the first. And given how squishy stamblades are, you really don't want to be waiting for a light attack animation to finish while something eats your face.

To be honest I've just discovered that the Dungeon Finder is basically a "get 3-4 perfectly scaled blues in ten minutes" button...

Also, treasure chests. I swear I can find 10 on the mainland for every 1 that I find in Morrowind.

The Morrowind ones actually drop things people want so they get farmed heavily. Being one of the only two sources of Bouyant Armiger motif chapters outside of the anniversary event makes them rather coveted.
    Ok so finally got a "rotation" that feels fluid and dangerous on my Stamblade Bowguy:

Snipe, Teleport Strike, Surprise Attack, 1/2 light attacks, Killer's Blade to finish 'em off and heal up, onto the next guy. Feels real nice. Although no idea what I'm stabbing them with when I have my bow equipped...

Try to avoid doing 2 light attacks in a row. Ideally, you throw them (or one heavy attack) in between each ability you use. Due to quirks of the animation system, abilities can cancel the aftercast animations of light and heavy attacks but two light attacks in a row makes you wait for the full animation of the first. And given how squishy stamblades are, you really don't want to be waiting for a light attack animation to finish while something eats your face.

To be honest I've just discovered that the Dungeon Finder is basically a "get 3-4 perfectly scaled blues in ten minutes" button...

How workable that is depends on the dungeon. Some are a lot rougher than others though a few near max CP players can carry people through most at this point. And some don't exactly drop the most useful sets either. If you're doing this via the random dungeon queue though, that's one of the best sources of exp once per day and can outstrip crafting gains pretty quickly (though you'll also get a lot of stuff to break down for crafting gains too).

Steam Profile

How workable that is depends on the dungeon. Some are a lot rougher than others though a few near max CP players can carry people through most at this point. And some don't exactly drop the most useful sets either. If you're doing this via the random dungeon queue though, that's one of the best sources of exp once per day and can outstrip crafting gains pretty quickly (though you'll also get a lot of stuff to break down for crafting gains too).

I'm still leveling to 50 so I'm not really looking for sets just yet. Most are a sub-10 minute faceroll, it's very calming :p

Well I didn't get total crap from my 3 free loot boxes, just stuff I'm not going to use.

I got one costume which I'll never use because I collect motifs and my armor outfit is from one of the most uncommonly used and best looking styles in the game.
    I got two non-combat pets which I'll never use because they aren't cats, I like my baby lynx, and I'm planning on assembling the Big Eared Ginger Kitty runebox from Summerset.
    And I got the chest page of the Moamer style motif which is actually nice given that it's like a 1/20 chance to get any pages of the motif from a fished bottle and that's on top of a 1/20ish chance to get a bottle from fishing in Summerset. But I'm not getting the rest of that style anytime soon so it's just a nice to have.

Also a lot of potions and poisons which I turned to gems and some experience scrolls which I also turned to gems. One was a golden reward scroll so it converted to a decent chunk of gems.

Steam Profile
    Well I didn't get total crap from my 3 free loot boxes, just stuff I'm not going to use.

I got one costume which I'll never use because I collect motifs and my armor outfit is from one of the most uncommonly used and best looking styles in the game.
    I got two non-combat pets which I'll never use because they aren't cats, I like my baby lynx, and I'm planning on assembling the Big Eared Ginger Kitty runebox from Summerset.
    And I got the chest page of the Moamer style motif which is actually nice given that it's like a 1/20 chance to get any pages of the motif from a fished bottle and that's on top of a 1/20ish chance to get a bottle from fishing in Summerset. But I'm not getting the rest of that style anytime soon so it's just a nice to have.

Also a lot of potions and poisons which I turned to gems and some experience scrolls which I also turned to gems. One was a golden reward scroll so it converted to a decent chunk of gems.

You can't just say that without a picture... or at least naming it. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~

You can't just say that without a picture... or at least naming it. :razz:

Ebony Armor style. Specifically the medium set. It wasn't cheap at 300 master writ vouchers and a bit of an impulse purchase (when I realized it was unlikely I'd store up the 1200 writ vouchers for a personal transmute station and decided to use what I had on something) but I can't complain about how it looks. It's a good interpretation of a mainline ES armor set (Skyrim's take on Ebony Armor), avoids the usual leather + a hood that makes up so many medium armor styles to the point of making them indistinct, has a lot of metal bits even in medium weight to show off the metal sheen effect, avoids the awkward hip flaps that never properly align with my character models, and covers up my ugly stage 4 vampire mug.

When I get the golden dye from one of the jewelrycrafting achievements I'm tempted to swap from my current blackened metal color to walking bling.

Steam Profile
    Ah yes, ebony is always one of my TES faves, and they did well with it in ESO, too. I know I'll never have it, though. Bit of bummer, that.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Ah yes, ebony is always one of my TES faves, and they did well with it in ESO, too. I know I'll never have it, though. Bit of bummer, that.

All you have to do is overcome your addiction to new alts and get some crafting skills to 50 . . . oh, right.

It's a really rarely seen motif for a lot of reasons even among people who could have it. 300 writ vouchers is not cheap to get and could be used on things that can be sold for a good chunk of gold. But no one said being pretty was cheap.

Steam Profile
    Sooner or later it may show up in the crown store for a few days/weeks. ;)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Do Ebony motifs drop during the anniversary event? Can’t remember, but that’d be an opportunity to get them dirt cheap.

Do Ebony motifs drop during the anniversary event? Can’t remember, but that’d be an opportunity to get them dirt cheap.

They do not. They are among a handful of motif styles that cannot drop from the boxes. The other one I'm aware of outside crown store only styles is Militant Ordinator.

Steam Profile
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    Ugh I swear I would straight up pay $15 if I could just get rid of the Stage 4 vampire look while keeping the mechanics. Or at least just don't turn my FUR white, dammit. It just looks so BAD. Especially on Redguards, where it makes them into white people, somehow :| Like sell the damn thing in the Crown Store and call it the Glamour of Whatever the fuck her face is, that one vampire lady.

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    Ugh I swear I would straight up pay $15 if I could just get rid of the Stage 4 vampire look while keeping the mechanics. Or at least just don't turn my FUR white, dammit. It just looks so BAD. Especially on Redguards, where it makes them into white people, somehow :| Like sell the damn thing in the Crown Store and call it the Glamour of Whatever the fuck her face is, that one vampire lady.

Hiding the look was mentioned in a discussion between community representatives and the dev team during a class/ability meeting. Who knows if it'll manifest as anything in the foreseeable future though.

Steam Profile
    edited June 2018
    I got mostly crap from my psijic crates, per usual. Though I did get a psijic nose piercing and some strange eye makeup, neither of which I've seen before.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited June 2018
    I got mostly crap from my psijic crates, per usual. Though I did get a psijic nose piercing and some strange eye makeup, neither of which I've seen before.

I think I'd find more use from the small facial appearance cosmetics if we hadn't long set our character's face before then.

Then again, I'm rocking a fully enclosed helmet on my main so the only time I see the facial markings from Morrowind or Summerset I've unlocked are when I'm crafting and the helmet comes off.

On a related note, I do actually like the Psijic body markings you get at some point during their "quest" line. It's a nice glowing effect. The facial tattoo is a bit too much though.

Steel Angel on

Steam Profile
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    ... I bet I could do that makeup look IRL (I would need better brushes and really specific colors tho) (AND GLITTER POWDER)

See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
    ... I bet I could do that makeup look IRL (I would need better brushes and really specific colors tho) (AND GLITTER POWDER)

Well I know who to blame if there's a shortage of blue glitter at the local craft stores.

Steam Profile
  • WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2018
    I got a lizard up to level 11 just kinda wandering through the original game story into the Ebonheart Pact main city and I think I'm willing to play this game a lot more. Does the faction system matter at all for guilds? Should I make an Aldmeri character to play PvP in the PA fold?

Walt on
    Walt wrote: »
    I got a lizard up to level 11 just kinda wandering through the original game story into the Ebonheart Pact main city and I think I'm willing to play this game a lot more. Does the faction system matter at all for guilds? Should I make an Aldmeri character to play PvP in the PA fold?

It only concerns pvp things and specifically Cyrodil/Imperial city things. Don't think it affects battlegrounds.

Steam Profile
    I've been having a blast just levelling / playing the game like a single player Elder Scrolls that occasionally becomes multiplayer.

Then yesterday I was shuttin' down the Doomcrag and it occured to me: are all the quests / zones I've been in so far specific to my faction? There are two whole other factions to check out with their own storylines?

That's amazing.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    To say that ESO has a ton of content is to heavily undervalue the meaning of "ton". And if you only have the basic game, there are two more expansions' worth of stuff waiting for you.

Fairchild on
    the quality of the quests seems like it's up there with FFXIV and WoW, though it seems like it has the WoW problem in that they probably aren't amazing more than once or twice. I take it leveling alts has plenty of shortcuts though, what with all the XP bonus stuff available

FF14 had quality quests? All I remember was a whole lot of "go kill 6 of these" quests, over and over...

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    FF14 had quality quests? All I remember was a whole lot of "go kill 6 of these" quests, over and over...

it did when it actually had story quests. most of it was "bear asses" quests and fate grinding, though its gotten better about that over time

edited June 2018
    Walt wrote: »
    the quality of the quests seems like it's up there with FFXIV and WoW, though it seems like it has the WoW problem in that they probably aren't amazing more than once or twice. I take it leveling alts has plenty of shortcuts though, what with all the XP bonus stuff available

I'd disagree on that point. WoW's quests are a lot more fun and varied... but I like the storytelling of ESO better, I'm much more immersed in the world, and love that everything is voiced - although some of the VO is really, really bad. One guy in particular voices several different characters and speaks so slowly I find it hard to believe a semi-competent director wouldn't stop a take and ask "Excuse me, but what the fuck are you doing?".

Spaffy on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Got my 5 loot crates for the capstone daily login reward for the month. I got one of the themed mounts. But it's a Guar. So now my nightblade travels around on an ethereal matter derpy lizard that has only two limbs.

Steam Profile
    Guar best mount.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    Running through the portal after bringing the 3 alliances together I thought I'd finish the main quest tonight but turns out noooooo Coldharbour is a whole other thing

• BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Bless your heart.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Got my 5 loot crates for the capstone daily login reward for the month. I got one of the themed mounts. But it's a Guar. So now my nightblade travels around on an ethereal matter derpy lizard that has only two limbs.

Guars have four limbs! They are like little T-rexes.

Kagouti and Alit are the true mouths with legs.

I think all of them were "monsters of convenience" created in Morrowind because it's easier to animate two legs and a big mouth than realistic animals.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Yeah from my 5 free crates I got the psychic horse. Would have preferred the bear but the horse works for my orcs totally cunning disguise.

Because my husband and I have started Cadwells Silver which puts us in the Dominion (we are an orc and a breton). So for our own personal shits and grins we have changed out outfits to be as elfy looking as possible with face concealing helms, and run around saying things like "Of course, fellow elf." or "Yes, because I am an elf, and this is a thing we elves do."

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited June 2018
    Guar best mount.

Yeaaaaa buddy!

LeFKkOx.jpg

I always feel slightly guilty as a lizard to be riding another lizard.
    ...but not so guilty that I'd give up my sweet ride.

vamen on
    Basil wrote: »
    Bless your heart.

Well that was a marathon.

Slightly peeved that I finally banished Malog Bal and I didn’t get to choose the weapon type of the reward? Bummer.